Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
:secondpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mooyashi posted:

how much do you guys think you've spent on SA over your posting career

$50, registration, 2 avs, archives and 2 red texts. plat was free

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

guys gimme 3 words

it's about class

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
shame we'll have to wait a couple days for the inaugural dogpiling of zoux

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

jaggy explain the av

obama recently thanked japanese prime minister shinzo abe for giving us anime, so i thought it only appropriate to go with the "obama is a weeaboo" meme. in the av he's holding a picture of homura from Really Good Anime "Puella Magi Madoka Magica", which reframed sailor moon as a hosed up lovecraftian/cronenberg body horror. the text is from this article: lovely Anime Taste A Key Factor In Midterm Elections

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Il Federale posted:

lol really?

how did that even come up in a conversation or press conference or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8zQC-9Iok

diplomatic visit

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

puella means girl

yeah the puella magi part in the japanese title is "maho shojo" which just means magical girl but when they romanized it they went with weird grammatically incorrect latin poo poo for some reason

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

R. Mute posted:

let's all post sincerely

anime is good

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

CoolCab posted:

i don't care for anime, but it's like, wrestling or comic books or something. everyone likes one dumb embarrassing thing and the only thing more dumb and embarrassing is arguing that yours is less.

zoux likes both wrestling and comic books :smug:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

this is a bad sign jag

i'll just tell myself its because he likes anime and has nothing to do with the rest of his opinions

chat thread became aware of your hellthread posting with your probation last night which consisted of a lot of erotic kill la kill fan art

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

that map is bullshit because i know that the western ~50 miles of kansas are mountain time

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but he's matured so much!

they grow up so fast :911:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mooyashi posted:

what was everyone's "gently caress i'm an adult whether i like it or not" moment

mine was writing checks while listening to Phil Collins while the lady was looking for her keys to go to Costco

hajji dying in my arms

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lotka Volterra posted:

this is why no one takes environmentalists seriously

conflating environmentalists and vegans is like conflating the cold with AIDS

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

CoolCab posted:

what the gently caress was that movie, i went and saw it in theaters and it was so weird. it's a movie about a big ogre dude who punches tanks how can you gently caress that up?

nutranurse you're cool. sorry for picking on your haircut dude, i think "middleaged lesbian" is a more evocative term then just "lesbian"

my favorite part about that movie was how mad Ang Lee got about some comedian saying "don't get me ang lee, you won't like me when i'm ang lee" because he thought it was a racist joke about chinese/japanese L and R switching

i mean i can see why he didn't get the joke, his name in chinese is Li An but you'd think after all those years he'd know how anglophones said it

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

UKMT thread is going to turn real nasty post election, mark my words

so your prediction is tories form the government

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lotka Volterra posted:

i have the same sneaking suspicion about USPol after '16 and we've all built it up in our heads that there's no way republicans can win

and then they do

uspol is incredibly lovely and they'd be just as bummed by hillary winning

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

oh new thread hey what's up

i got my animetar

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

the ones in mami states are right

:dogbutton:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

i like how natalie portman doesnt grow at all between e1 and e2 but anakin grows just enough for them to start a romantic relationship

after the french version of Leon the Professional turnaround is fair play

nutranurse posted:

whats the galactic republics ruling on statutory rape
george lucas joked about loving teenagers and it's his artistic vision so

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

I hope Cameron tries to stay in as a minority with the largest seat share and is forced out by a confidence motion tacked onto his Queen's speech.

On the tears would be glorious

how do minority governments work in the UK? do they have to be coalition governments or is it like canada where the minority with the plurality gets the government til no confidence

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Il Federale posted:

which places would you consider full of rapists

sweden, based on reported rape statistics :downs:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

you already got probed once for being classist in dadchat

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

CoolCab posted:

gently caress landlords forever

who decided "well you own stuff, that means you can collect capital forever"

that concept, and the underpinnings of american and british property law, are traced directly to the feudal era and were extent by the time that william the conqueror rolled into england and conducted a survey of property law. tho land = money predated feudalism thats just the lineage of anglo property law

so prolly some roman guy or an anglo saxon or something

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

what is bernie sanders policy wrt anime and it's future position in regards to corporeality

after i watched anime with senator sanders he told me it's real and it's spectacular

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

your efforts to move the rock cause you to explosively herniate a disc in your back. you go into shock and die. your score is 1353 out of a possible 17 million.

i kinda wanna do a CYOA in dnd now, but one designed to piss off self identifying communists as much as possible

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

if i were hanging out with some lady in a field of flowers surrounded by waterfalls and we were alone and shes talking about how im better than some dude she previously kind of was into then either she wants me to kiss her or everyone in the star wars universe is autistic and normal human signaling doesnt apply to them

everyone in the star wars universe is autistic and normal human signaling doesn't apply to them

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

i am currently invading france

stop posting about your european vacations

also nutranurse wtf is wrong with you why are you subjecting yourself to these movies

edit: are we doing history snipes in this iteration? 16: general Germanicus kills a lot of germans

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
really tho george lucas likes making racial caricatures and the sand people are arabs

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

it's sad to think that instead of new generations coming up with their own stories, popular culture will have basically ground to a halt around 1985 because through the magic of capitalism star wars and marvel superheroes will be at the forefront of mainstream culture forever, propelled by however many billions of dollars disney has in the bank

it's actually even worse than grinding to a halt in 1985, it's being forcibly rolled back to 1985 because the pop culture of 1985 through 2010 was mostly anime and japanese poo poo and japan is imploding

we're in a really fractured and diverse moment for culture right now it's just movies that are moribund poo poo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

those people aren't Proper Rich though, i'm talking "estates" rich

a lot of high earners are still essentially proletarian, so it's easy to see where they'd bite on the whole "doctor" thing. if you live on an estate, you are not a professional in any sense, you're either legitimately filthy rich or you're decaying aristocracy, and i'm pretty sure we're meant to infer that doctor guy's family are not actual aristocracy

the filthy loving rich in america still push their children into high compensating professions. i took a class with the son of the ceo of goldman sachs for fucks sake

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

has someone mentioned how lucas thought pedophilia was an interesting, compelling kind of relationship in that one interview with Spielberg yet? because that's a thing that happened

i did

V. Illych L. posted:

i am not nuancing my argument because it's four in the morning and i can't sleep and i'm posting about my musings on a half-remembered episode of a mediocre television series

i am well aware that there are shades of this stuff, but there is a very real tendency and i've remarked on it before. i'd use the term 'episteme' because it fits, but i suspect that it may not be the most productive choice of words. the information environment in america is such that most americans are fed one major theme - this whole middle-class concept, the American Dream, call it what you will - and it causes strange misunderstandings like whedon's naïve assumption that because being a doctor is seen as A Good Thing in his own culture, this culture would logically deal with it the same way. obviously the further you get from actually living according to this ideal the less the narrative will catch you (so if you're very rich or very poor, you'll realise that this is rubbish), but it's still there to some extent.
the firefly universe is one in which china and america merged and became the hegemons. it is appropriate for it to contextualize culture with american underpinnings in universe in that case. and the rich absolutely do that in america, why do you think ivy's have legacy admissions

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

http://www.therobotspajamas.com/indiana-jones-child-rapist/

apparently from a story meeting from 1978. i can't find the full original but a bunch of sites have this quote. maybe it's not real but :laffo: if true

its like he read Lolita and completely misinterpreted the message that loving kids is Not Good

the 70s were before people would get flayed alive for saying that kinda poo poo so i wouldnt be surprised if its real

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Like, the only story that isn't some kind of awful nightmare bullshit I can think of with a pedophile as a good guy is Drakengard

And even then said character sequestered himself in the woods away from children and never actually molested anyone

Jesus christ, Lucas

batman

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

Lolita is one of the great works of 21 st century English fiction
Lol no gently caress Nabakov tho right thought crime

that book was about the harms that pedophilia inflicts on victims tho, lucas was romanticizing it in that statement

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

Humbert humbert is not a clear villain at all.

he fucks up her life and murders someone

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the phantom menace is profoundly anti-racist

21 - chat thread 3 can buy alcohol

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Il Federale posted:

ive never seen the old one, however i liked the new one

but everyone tells me this is bad, is this true?

holy poo poo, no

robocop unironically owns (the first one, the sequels are garbage)

it's a great satire on corporatism/capitalism too

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

godfather pt 3 is underrated

classic migf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

i was watching them on my phone while pregaming for fight night but fight night is just about here so im gonna have to stop maybe

holy gently caress the fight hasn't even happened yet? didn't warsz get to the bar like 7 hours ago lmfao

• Locked thread