Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Glazius posted:

Hey, piloting a walker is a legitimate skill. You think you can just flail wildly at the controls to a sophisticated piece of machinery and do anything significant?

Years of watching Gundam tell me Yes, any teenager can get on the cockpit and magically know how to ride a mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Well, if you have the tech to build that sort of mech and independent AI, the first thing that comes to mind is how much a huge liability it will be to put an actual person inside to control the mech.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Palladium posted:

Well, if you have the tech to build that sort of mech and independent AI, the first thing that comes to mind is how much a huge liability it will be to put an actual person inside to control the mech.

I dunno, I think that giving AI to a robot THAT big and well armed would be foolish. You know, like giving sentience to a nuke, not a good idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

I dunno, I think that giving AI to a robot THAT big and well armed would be foolish. You know, like giving sentience to a nuke, not a good idea.

Given that this is Star Wars, I'm not sure it would be a problem. This is a setting where droid armies and occasional droid starships are a regular thing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Given that this is Star Wars, I'm not sure it would be a problem. This is a setting where droid armies and occasional droid starships are a regular thing.

Counterpoint: HK series droids, with very few exceptions, are all sociopaths.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

Counterpoint: HK series droids, with very few exceptions, are all sociopaths.

The thing is, they're sociopaths deliberately. They are assassin droids, who need to think creatively but also kill people. Most combat droids aren't that smart, and most smart droids aren't suited for combat.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

[Chronology: these events takes place following the Battle of Ilum flashpoint (part 1, 2, 3) and before Mortiferous and Quentine’s adventures on Makeb.]

FLASHPOINT: THE FALSE EMPEROR

Previously posted:

DARTH MALGUS has betrayed the Empire and declared himself a new Emperor. Armed with a flotilla of stealth ships and the deceased Sith Emperor’s commandeered battlestation, MALGUS seeks to conquer the galaxy. Only one team of MIGHTY HEROES can stop him now…

We really must stop meeting like this.

How many mad Darths have we killed between us by now?

Several academies worth, I'll wager. Fun times.

Uh... I haven't killed any Darths yet. Do I have to? Is it like an initiation thing?

Sure. Down a keg, kill a Sith, jump from some impossibly high place. Then you're in the club.

A stealth ship. Sweet!

How did you get your hands on one? I didn't think there were any left on Ilum.

The truth is... I found it abandoned at a mining complex up north. Fully functional too.

You just found it?

I guess it must have been the providence of the Emperor.

Uh huh. And what does the Wrath of the Emperor think about that?

The Emperor moves in mysterious ways and clearly it fell off the back of a space truck. So let's not ask too many awkward questions and let Imperial Intelligence do her job.

It’s a relief to see you again, my lord.

I took the stealth fighter for a test flight, performed a full systems test. We can leave for Malgus’ station on your mark.

It’s about time Darth Malgus faced a superior Sith.

I won’t keep you waiting, my lord.

Now steel yourself. Time we destroyed a false emperor.

...Hey, that’s the name of the flashpoint!

AT MALGUS' FORTRESS...

I can see Malgus' base! It... it... It looks just like every other space station. Aw, man.

That’s the stealth system at work. Nobody suspects it’s really an octopus.

Looks the same on the inside too. A little shinier maybe.

Welcome to the heart of our new Empire. I am Arkis Wode: engineer, architect, artist. Serve Darth Malgus well, and my technological creations will serve you.

He’s going to talk at us this whole time, isn’t he?

Yup.

With the right application of technology, the impossible comes to life. We can travel faster than light; we can construct an entire fleet in weeks; and we can make the visible invisible. So when you see my engineers performing feats that make the Force look like child’s play, remember that anything is possible.

This is the worst TED talk ever.

That... is a lot of ships.

Those tin cans aren't real fighters. A Jawa with a blaster could take one out.

Really?

Oh yeah. I'm speaking from personal experience here.

The stealth armada. These vessels will shape the galaxy on invisible wings. Such greatness is only achieved by the marriage of Anomid engineering and the Foundry. A few upgrades, and the Foundry droids can process Adegan crystals and construct stealth squadrons in record time. Darth Malgus united our technologies, as he will unite the galaxy.

Anomid engineering is truly incredible. I mean, look at this guy. He's got two swords. We can't compete with technology this advanced.

Ooooor maybe we can.

My ship! My precious ship!

Oh, wait. That's not mine. Ha, it looked a bit like it but...

...you see the corrosion around the starboard thruster is actually a lot more pronounced on this one, probably because the owner doesn't take it in for an annual mag scrub, like you're supposed too. Many people think that...

...but I always preferred the Mk3s over the Mk4s, just because of the greater response ratio at higher power outputs. The pattern on the vent housing is completely different, a sure sign of a Mk4 being installed as part of an after market modification, which can have negative effects on…

...and you know what he said? He said "It doesn't matter". Can you believe that? Of course it matters. A good gimbal inverter can save you thousands of credits a year on fuel costs, as long as you remember to refocus the hyperdrive to take into account the greater mass shift during the fusion stage...

...but you need to keep an eye on the humidity, that's the important thing... Oh, did we win?

YES.

Hey, remember that thing I told you? That jumping off a high place was part of your initiation? There’s a ledge, hop to it. You get bonus points if you land on that battlecruiser.

It looks like some sort of superlaser

It looks like
my sort of superlaser. I knew I should have patented the Silencer.

Haf… haff… hey guys. Sorry I’m late!

I can’t believe you actually jumped.

I just want to be part of the group.
:saddowns:

...What planet is that?

Some primitive backwater or other. The natives are going to have a very bad day if Malgus decides to put on a show with these guns.

We can't let that happen.

Guilty conscience, agent?

My conscience is clear.

You may have noticed our recent improvements. Upgraded turbolasers replaced last generation turrets. Specialized flux cannons can disintegrate capital ships with a single blast. But most importantly, we installed state-of-the-art stealth technology. This station is completely invisible. From the skies, our Empire will unite the galaxy, and Darth Malgus will be our Emperor.

Oh, so that’s why we’re walking on nothing but empty space and not meandering through a series of hallways inside a very visible space station. I wondered about that.

Impressive doormen.

I don't think they're here to collect our coats.

I feel the need to comment: Abeena is now at least two or three times more invisible than this space station.

You are in the power core. The brain of the space station, and my domain. If you are not a member of the Schism Collective, turn back. This place is not for you.

That just makes me want to press forwards all the more. And I'm not even interested in power cores!

I'm picking up a definite "killer robot" vibe from this room.

I call dibs on the wreckage when all this is over.

Perfect timing!

Such power! With one movement, our flux cannons fire and an Imperial capital ship is disintegrated!

The Schism Collective has crafted this battle station into the galaxy’s greatest technological marvel. Not even your entire fleet can take us down.

The Imperial fleet will crush this battle station, but first… your throat.

Gak!

Did he annoy you?

Every second we waste listening to him he’s killing hundreds of people.

Help! Somebody!

*pew!*

Interjection: Silence, meatbags.

My targeting computer has scanned your soft spots.

The first shot will immobilize you. The second will spill your slippery components onto the floor.

What are you doing here?

Reference: A very brief cameo.

I should have known that Malgus would rebuild you after I destroyed you in the Foundry.

Bitter recollection: A fault in my assassination protocol allowed your victory. My upgrades will prevent the error from repeating.

Stand down, or I’ll be forced to disassemble you.

Statement: I am HK-47, personal exterminator to Emperor Malgus. Backing down from violence would violate my programming.

Weapons activated. Assassination protocols engaged. I have been looking forward to this.

TO BE CONCLUDED...

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

The Emperor’s Space Station posted:

The Emperor’s space station is as much temple as fortress. Built by the Empire’s finest engineers–many of whom never left their creation–the station is a blend of modern and incredibly ancient technology. The cloaking device which keeps the station invisible uses Gree technology, while the station’s power core and security features are Rakata in design.

The station is vast, comprising an unknown number of decks and chambers. Dozens of rooms store artifacts the Emperor gathered over the centuries, while prisoners whose identities are long forgotten float in stasis chambers. Traditionally, the privileged few who had audiences on the station were brought there by the Emperor’s servants, with no memories of the journey.

In the hands of Darth Malgus, the space station has become a new and terrible weapon–but one with many secrets yet to be unlocked. Malgus and his servants have much to learn about their headquarters and its full capabilities.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Third member of Lamya Dynasty sounds like a sales clerk. Who knew Mandos had Space Geico?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Malgus even has HK! Why are the Imperial characters not on his side again?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was anyone else thinking "Cave Johnson" reading the holo-tech guy's spiel? Just me?

I mean, I can't imagine the Empire NOT testing on vagrants...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Malgus even has HK! Why are the Imperial characters not on his side again?

Interestingly enough they actually snuck in a cute hidden bit in HK-47's introduction if you bring HK-51 with you as a companion, though of course with a full 4 man party you're not going to see that since you can't have companions.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

On one hand, I REALLY want an HK-51 so I can have 2 HK Unit after Feb 1st. OTOH, FUUUCK his questline, it's SUCH a drag.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Which is such a shame because the first part is so good.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

FLASHPOINT: THE FALSE EMPEROR - PART 2

Previously posted:

DARTH MALGUS has betrayed the Empire and declared himself the new Emperor. Our semi-heroic band of miscreants have boarded MALGUS’ space fortress on a do-or-die assassination mission. But a familiar droid bars their path…

Weapons activated. Assassination protocols engaged. I have been looking forward to this.

*BLAM!*

Yes. I bet you have.

Do you want to intimidate the little creep, or shall I?

Go ahead, I'm all strangled out.

Guards! Reinforcements! Somebody help…. oh.

Please, those things I said, and HK, it was all a misunderstanding! Just let me live!

Sabotage your stealth armada, and the Empire will ignore your crimes.

But that will take hours!

But killing you will take only seconds.

Fine! I’ll overload the Foundry generators. The results to the hangar will be catastrophic.

I’ll also program our flux cannons to target the stealth armada. Anything to protect our escape pods--and the Imperial fleet, of course!

It's nice when we can all work together for a better Empire.

Ah, the silly hat brigade have arrived.

:sigh:

Sorry! Still not used to targeting these things.

Every. Single. Lamadar.

Mort, what the hell are you doing?

Pirouetting to victory!

An imprisoned Sith... Ancient. It must have been here when this station belonged to the Emperor.

Is it friendly?

The caged primeval entity of hate and rage is probably not friendly, no.

Went down easily enough.

It wanted to die.

Don't get maudlin over abominations, Mortiferous.

I get maudlin over every dead red Sith. The way things are going I’m going to be the last one standing before the decade’s out.

We're almost at the top of the station...

Looks like we're expected.

You’re as stubborn as your dying Empire.

Welcome to my throne room. So much history. So many glory days that slipped away from us.

The Emperor is dead. Long live the new Emperor.

It is you who will bow to me, Malgus.

Kneel.

Ha... You... call.. that... lightning?! Pathetic!

I can't feel my legs.

The Empire is withering away. Soon it will be obliterated by decadence and antiquated ideals. Yet still you struggle to keep it from healing.

Don’t you see? Our survival demands a new Empire, tempered by alien alliances and strengthened by tolerance.

I agree. With you in charge?

Who else?

The galaxy’s full of independent contractors looking for a side, but your revolution’s just encouraging their disrespect.

You are perceptive, but still you have much to learn.

My stealth armada will destroy your fleet, and I will destroy you.

Do you want to bet?

Warning: Critical explosions detected on the Foundry level. Generators manually overloaded by user ID Arkis Wode.

Enough.

Emergency warning: Power core overrides engaged. Self-destruct initiated.

You’ve chosen the wrong path. Every second you struggle more people die needlessly. You’ve crippled the Empire when we most needed your strength.

Their deaths will be on your hands.

The blast will wipe out your fleet, and only I can deactivate the destruction cycle.

Die or defeat me. Either way the Empire is reborn.

So, are we just going to stand here...?

Right for the Dark Council member.

Shut up.

Told you you should’ve voted Malgus onto the island.

I hear the Grand Moff is calling me Malgus the Betrayer. Tell me, did my deception sting?

Not as much as getting stabbed in the back does, I expect.

Feel an Emperor’s wrath!

:wiggle:

Already have, thanks. I killed him, too. :rolleyes:

I should have killed you on Ilum when I had the chance.

The feeling's mutual.

Hey, Malgus. Want to see some real lightning?

Oooh, right on the steel steps. Think we’ll get the three-count?

Good riddance to him, and his creepy little Empire.

He was right though. Our Empire can't survive as it is.

The Empire will change, but not because one egomaniac demands it. Evolution will be gradual, driven by the people. The best we can do is guide them.

I think...

Oh, this should be good.

I think we should do something about the self-destruct that the computer mentioned.

...That was good.

BACK ON ILUM...

My lords. We are honored.

The Dark Council is most impressed with your performance.

Malgus the Betrayer is dead! You have destroyed the false Emperor!

Not even Darth Malgus could weaken our grip on the galaxy!

Hear, hear!

Basic economics on the other hand…

Don’t spoil the moment.

General Hesker. Your service to the Empire is flawless, as always. What news from the battlefield?

Our fleet suffered casualties, but the survivors escaped the station’s blast. The Reclamation Service already scours the wreckage.

Excellent. Contrary to Malgus’ claims, the Empire is stronger than ever. Meanwhile the traitor’s flock is abandoning the flaming ruins of his heretical revolution.

Malgus’ destroyed station will serve as a warning to all who entertain rebellion.

Even the Republic will fear the assassins of Malgus the Betrayer.

We were in a grave place. Intelligence disbanded, much of the Dark Council slain, and the Children of the Emperor defeated. But a new age is upon us.

Already our strength rallies after the fall of Darth Malgus.

The Empire’s power is surging, my lords. For the Sith, and all our citizens, we will rule the galaxy once more!

Well said.

Think it’s true?

Noooooooooooooooope.

THE END… OR IS IT?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

And thus the most sensible of the sith dies an ignoble death

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

And thus the most ensible of the sith dies and innoble death

Darth Marr isn't dead. Malgus has some good ideas, but note that he wanted to go right back on the warpath blowing up worlds. Marr is the guy telling the rest of the Dark Council to please chill the gently caress out.

That being said, according to Bioware they weren't expecting Imperial players to sympathize with and support Malgus as much as they have, and that's a factor in their direction for the Empire from here on out.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

There's no way Marr will survive, the guy is TOO sensible for a sith. I'd extend that "Too sensible to survive" to Mort but he is helped by being a PC and thus immortal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you even get a cutscene where you stop the self-destruct or is that beneath the notice of a protagonist at this point?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #007
Stardate: Taking my first shot at our last chance.

We're almost out of time, now. The quakes are coming fast and frequent, but I'm still not writing this log from the comfort of the ark's VIP lounge. Let's cover the latest setback – remember Doctor Oggurob? Not as helpful as you'd think.

Recommended for disappointment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXaRCf3G9s

quote:

Quentine: Don't make our guest any more nervous than he already is. The Republic only kills in self-defense.

Doctor Oggurob: As I saw in our flight from Sanctuary, you specialize in artful property damage.

Gez Addar: Now that you're here... what can you tell us about isotope-5? How does it fuel the ark?

Doctor Oggurob: Isotope-5... Toborro's great discovery at the center of Makeb. Something truly unique in all the galaxy – and worth destroying this planet to obtain.

Doctor Oggurob: Imagine a substance as light as shimmersilk but stronger than durasteel. It distorts gravity and electromagnetic fields so predictably that it can be refined into fuel.

So that wasn't quite the news I was hoping for. Those droids might be toys to Toborro, but they're a pain in my rear end to take down. I'm not looking forward to dealing with any more of them.

quote:

Quentine: Are you saying there are even more advanced versions of those droids? How many? What are their capabilities?

Doctor Oggurob: Toborro has dozens of prototype weapons. Their capabilities vary depending on whatever creative inspiration moved me that day.

Doctor Oggurob: I crafted a beautiful set of isotope-5 fuel rods to power Toborro's ark. Some of my finest work, but you'll never see it.

Doctor Oggurob: According to my datastream, Toborro has increased mining production to maximum levels. Makeb's destruction will arrive ahead of schedule. You have a spacecraft, yes? We should depart immediately.

And there goes Toborro off my “okay Hutt” list. The slug's got next to nothing for us, he just wants to save his oily hide.

quote:

Doctor Oggurob: That was before I saw the latest updates on Toborro's drilling operations.

Doctor Lemda Avesta: The mining platforms are massive lasers drilling directly into the planet. Shutting them down would release core pressure and buy us time.

Doctor Oggurob: Attacking the mining platforms would be suicidal. Even worse, it might kill me. Wait... why do I get the feeling you're serious?

Quentine: You just confirmed our next move. Stay put and hope we make it back.

Doctor Oggurob: Death by Toborro or slow suicide by the Republic. Perhaps I chose poorly.

I'm keeping my eye on the good doctor in case he starts having second thoughts. Not that we'll have long to worry about that.

quote:

Quentine: Everything on this planet has been an ordeal – I'd hate to break our perfect record. But don't worry, those drilling lasers are going offline.

Shalim Avesta: If they don't, I doubt we'll see each other again.

The mood wasn't too bright when we left camp for the mining platforms. I'm doing my best out here to buy us some more time, but nothing I've been doing has gotten us any closer to escaping Makeb. Even my luck has limits, one stray blaster bolt and that's it for the people of Makeb, not to mention my crew.

I'd called up Akavi once we got back from Sanctuary because she was getting antsy about the whole planetary explosion thing – if I didn't get her into a fight soon she'd go looking for one. Besides, Oggurob talked up the mining platform defenses enough I figured it's only fair to give her that shot at dying fighting she's always looking for.

Funny thing is? The platforms were nothing.

I mean sure, there were guards, but these were Cartel thugs. “Private security” flown in from Nar Shaddaa, not even Regulators. Something must be going on, because most of the defenses looked stripped and there were signs of damage all over the place.

We didn't have the ordnance to destroy the platforms, but since Makeb's not got long anyway we just needed to mess them up a little. First thing to do was disengaging the locks holding each laser in place.

Then we had to fight our way to the laser's control booth.

No engineers or other techies, just more Hutt cantina trash to clear out.

Then, reset the mining laser to kick it into standby mode, ready for new commands from central.

Of course, that'd mean the Hutts could reset the laser and get to digging again. One thing at a tme.

There were a few stations scattered around the mesas. Seems this must be the big entry shaft for most of the Cartel's mining operations, but they were all as deserted and beat up as the others.

We cleared out the security at each one and did the reset. About this point I'm starting to notice that the lasers are on full bore but I'm not seeing much actual mining take place – like they're not even bagging the isotope-5 anymore.

Let me take a moment to point out this ugly guy. What is it with Hutts and Rancors? I don't even think it's the same one we saw earlier, they just brought another one and let it wander around their mining platforms. It wasn't easy talking Avaki out of fighting it.

By the last platform I was waiting for some kind of shoe to drop. We hadn't even seen any of Toborro's isotope-5 droids, which made me wonder if we were walking into some kind of trap.

Turns out there was a surprise waiting for us after all, but not from Toborro.

quote:

Quentine: Don't try to move, we'll transport you out of here.

Private Vendelik: Generous, but a wasted effort.

Private Vendelik: Not much time, so listen. Wasn't always Imperial military – born on Makeb.

Private Vendelik: Caught wind of the Hutt takeover and volunteered for this. Defend my old home.

The whole dying thing looked real enough, and I could buy the Makeb backstory, but just tripping over an Imp with the solution to our problems has a bad track record with me.

quote:

Private Vendelik: Good for the mission. Knew the terrain and the people.

Private Vendelik: Orders were to steal isotope-5, but I wanted to help your evacuation. Still have friends and family here.

Private Vendelik: Shutting down drills – not enough. Need to open emergency release valves at primary control center. Reduce core pressure.

Quentine: You're a soldier, not a geologist. How did you figure all this out on your own?

Not a great answer, considering Lemda grew up here too and studied rocks her whole life. To top it off, he hands over a spike with a precisely-calculated planetary engineering solution.

quote:

Private Vendelik: Use slice spike in control center's mainframe. Override Hutt security lockout. Take control, vent the core.

Private Vendelik: Control center's heavily guarded. Sorry, that part's on you. Please get my people off this rock.

Quentine: Is there a message you want delivered to your friends and family?

Private Vendelik: No time.

Now, Vendelik's definitely dead, but I've known Imps to be pretty loyal – if they need to tell you a lie with their dying breath, they'll do it. A whole lot's already not adding up about this mining platform situation, like why there's no Regulators around, why nobody's collecting the isotope-5 or why Toborro would even be speeding up the planet's destruction while he doesn't have his escape ship. This is way too convenient.

Still, whatever they've got cooking up, it can't be as bad as the planet definitely blowing up with us still on it. We reset the last laser and made plans to hit the central control bunker.

This was always going to be part of the plan, since without taking out the network hub the Hutts could restart the lasers as soon as we leave.

The bunker was pretty small, probably because on a normal day a mining rig doesn't need to be fortified against attack. Scouting the place out only turned up a handful of Hutt enforcers and some repurposed droids – nothing isotope-5 or Regulator related, nothing worth worrying about.

I'll skip the details on this one. We burst in and cleared the room in seconds.

Akavi did this snarl thing she does when the people we're fighting keep dying too fast. I think that's the last Hutt forces in range to do anything with the platforms in the time Makeb's got left, so mission accomplished.

quote:

Quentine: He said it was the only way to release core pressure. Do you agree?

Doctor Lemda Avesta: Tectonic vibrations are still off the charts. Karranto Mesa just exploded. Good thing we're not there.

Doctor Lemda Avesta: Those drilling lasers were working overtime. The heat buildup beneath the planet's crust is massive. Venting the core would cool things off.

Quentine: Sounds like our only option. Slicing the mainframe now...

Not that I really know what I'm doing, considering the Imp's security spike is a black box. Even if I did, it's Lemda who's supposed to be the planet doctor, and she's pretty much reached the anything-goes phase. What's the worst that could happen, right?

Well, parts of the mesa collapsed, but I'm still here writing this so I guess it worked?

quote:

Quentine: I think it's time we finally paid Toborro a visit in person. Where can we find that Hutt?

Gez Addar: You don't want to go anywhere near him until you've had help from our new friends.

Gez Addar: We've had an interesting development while you were gone. Doctor Oggurob isn't the only Hutt on Makeb who's changing sides.

At least I've got that to look forward to. We're not getting a great rate of return on flipping Hutts at the moment, but if this planet's going down, I should get to laugh at the people responsible a little first.

Once that's done, though, it's time to stop beating around the bush. We're all in this mess because of Toborro, and fuel rods or no fuel rods he shouldn't get the honor of burning to death like the rest of us.

Next time you hear from me I'll either be riding the ark to safety or sinking into the planet's core. I'll try not to spoil the ending for you.

##End Log##

[I didn't post my reaction to the end of False Emperor, so let me say that it was a pretty tidy finish to the whole Malgus situation even if killing off Malgus was a questionable writing decision. So that's pretty much a cap on the vanilla content at release, right?]

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the original game Malgus was invincible (or just essentially invincible because he started farting deathrays everywhere) at the final phase but became vulnerable to knockbacks. You needed one person to stagger him, then another to kick him into the pit (die like an Emperor, and all that). That had annoying party constraints, so they put a box of knockback droids at the entrance for people to grab. Coordinating the stunt with pubbies was still a massive pain in the rear end, and everything was on cooldown, so your best bet was for a class with knockback to grab a droid and do it all himself.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hutts negotiating directly with a smuggler is actually pretty neat, if it's class-specific.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Hutts negotiate with you directly regardless of class.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

However, if you're a smuggler, it's especially satisfying.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

That Malgus fight is annoying on solo. He has a habit of punting your uber robot so far away that he resets to full.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Endgame Update 18: A New Beginning

Click for Video

My mercenaries are spread across Makeb. You cannot stop them before they contact my fleet.

We’re not with him.

Support team: Begin adjusting the laser drills. We will unleash groundquakes at all mercenary locations.
You’re bluffing.
Wouldn’t be the first world the Empire’s destroyed.
This is Nadrin. With the proper adjustments, I… could render most of the planet lifeless.
But evacuations are unfinished. Tens of thousands would be buried in rubble, or incinerated by magma. It would be… unfortunate.
Await my orders, Nadrin.

A true Hutt does not bargain--and I would die for my people’s glory.
I bet you would.
You paid the Regulators to lock down Makeb, but we’ve gone way beyond that. And I’ve seen what the Empire can do.
You want to bargain for your secret? You bargain with us.

Huh. Agreed.
You will be marked forever as betrayers. Your children will be the lowest of slaves, toiling eternally in filth.
It’s a better deal. That’s all.
See you offworld.
You want us to handle the Archon, or have you got it under control?
:ughh:
You’re a hologram. I’m right here.

Understood.
Idiots.

I can’t feel my hands. I’d have liked to see Dromund Kaas again, but… you’ll make sure it was worth it?
Makeb, I mean. While the war’s still going on. Make sure we survive?
The Empire is faced with a powerful enemy. We will survive, and we will become unstoppable.
Yes, my lord.
It’s been an honor serving. Better than labeling boxes the rest of my life….

Ground team to support: the planet is secure.

Click for Video (Highly Recommended)

Aftershocks continue, but the core has reached equilibrium. We are finalizing safe techniques to mine the isotope-5.
Sergeant Bedareux is seeing to security on the ground, and Lord Cytharat’s almost fully recovered. He’ll be back from Dromund Kaas shortly.
Enough.

Katha Niar sacrificed herself for the mission. So did others; they should be remembered.
Let their names be etched in the walls of Kaas City. It will be their monument, or their pyre.
Thank you, my lord.

Be quiet. People are talking.
They’re people.
Important people are talking.

The Hutt Cartel is weak and scattered, and the Jedi will turn back to us. At last, they are prepared to shed blood.
Last time we spoke, you had lost three star systems. What’s happening in the galaxy?
Observe.

Yet that is not why I stand before you. Instead, I can finally confirm what many have suspected for months:
The Sith Emperor is dead.
A Jedi strike team confronted the Emperor during a recent attack on Dromund Kaas.
Now a join SIS and Jedi committee has concluded that the galaxy’s greatest villain is gone forever.
Yeah. I’m sure that’s true.
This does not change the fight ahead. The Dark Council remains the true political power in the Empire.
But it sends a message to the Sith and their followers: We are coming for you.
They speak the truth: The Emperor is gone, dying if not dead, no matter what our propagandists say. He will not be mourned.
The Emperor’s Hand claims that he lives still. But there will be many who seek to profit from the Emperor’s absence.

In the coming months, we will stand against the Republic offensive and those who would weaken us from within--and emerge stronger.

Today, you bought us time. Isotope-5 will pay for the Empire’s new foundation, and the Republic knows nothing of our actions.
We will speak when the enemy strikes again. Together, we will choose the destiny of the Empire and retake the galaxy.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 30, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like Marr, he got ~Charisma~.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hurrah, the Empire triumphs over the Hutts!

...In order to supply their military so that a galactic war can drag on for years to come! :confuoot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Hurrah, the Empire triumphs over the Hutts!

...In order to supply their military so that a galactic war can drag on for years to come! :confuoot:

Centuries! Possibly even a millennia or two :pseudo:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

That ending cutscene is so good.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
What server are you guys active on? I've just made a Sith Warrior and I want to play with goons. If I get good enough at the game I miiiiiight pick up the Jed Knight storyline. I have plans, so many plans.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Empire.jpg

The fact that she used to be a space accountant makes it even more impressive/disturbing.

mcclay posted:

What server are you guys active on? I've just made a Sith Warrior and I want to play with goons. If I get good enough at the game I miiiiiight pick up the Jed Knight storyline. I have plans, so many plans.
The LPers are on the Harbinger (NA) server, but we're seldom online anymore. If you want to play with goons, Jedi Covenant (NA) is the server with the liveliest guilds- That's No Goon is the Imp side, Goon Squad for the Republic.

More information's in the current SWTOR thread.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Awesome, thanks! By the way, are you done with Jolune's story or is it just in a long hiatus.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

mcclay posted:

Awesome, thanks! By the way, are you done with Jolune's story or is it just in a long hiatus.
Jolune's story is finished. There isn't really any Consular-specific endgame content, and the post-Ilum plot missions have more interesting dialogue when done by other classes.

I'll probably show off the one unique Consular endgame mission when we get to that part, and I might do some more side content eventually.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Do you have any kind of long-term plans for the LP, or is it mainly Mort and Quin all the way to KotFE with exceptions like the aforementioned unique mission for each class?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to ask, what's the Light Side alternative to killing the Hutt? Letting someone else kill the Hutt?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

I have to ask, what's the Light Side alternative to killing the Hutt? Letting someone else kill the Hutt?

Taking him in alive for questioning.

"Questioning."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Taking him in alive for questioning.

"Questioning."

Well, and Marr intends to parade him around as a trophy and a warning to the Hutts about getting ambitious. Marr does not state what condition he will be in during said parading.

Darth Marr is great.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Marr does not state what condition he will be in during said parading.

My money's on disembodied head.

Or Mummy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

My money's on disembodied head.

Or Mummy.

Let me tell you about a thing called flensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

Do you have any kind of long-term plans for the LP, or is it mainly Mort and Quin all the way to KotFE with exceptions like the aforementioned unique mission for each class?

Maaaybe? I mean, from here on out they've already started to focus on single player content and you can't even join group conversations for the main story really. Kind of forces our hand unfortunately if we want any coherency. So at least for now they're taking the lead.

• Locked thread