Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Surprisingly, this is one of the least insane things you've ever posted.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd gently caress it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Aztec is now relieved it no longer is the car everyone laughs at

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It's like BMW decided that the Audi A2 mixed with Prius levels of smug was the way of the future. The i3 marked the start of the Great Decline for BMW :smith:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Could someone explain to me why this car is so universally hated, and the 4 is so universally loved? I feel like I'm in a bizarro world where the quacking and bland 4 is the new hotness, and the concepty, interesting, visual art that is the i3 is regarded as the worst thing to happen to autos since the aztek.

Is everyone being ironic?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Let's be fair though, James May says that about practically everything.

I went to a Cars & Coffee last spring and there was an i3 there with it's owner and he just wanted so badly to talk to anyone that would listen about how great his BMW Aztec was.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coydog posted:

Could someone explain to me why this car is so universally hated, and the 4 is so universally loved? I feel like I'm in a bizarro world where the quacking and bland 4 is the new hotness, and the concepty, interesting, visual art that is the i3 is regarded as the worst thing to happen to autos since the aztek.

Wellllll..... I dont exactly think the 4 series is an oil painting either. Actually butt gently caress ugly would be more my description.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

i think the i3 is kind of rad, it looks like a car from a movie that takes place in THE FUTURE

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

razorscooter posted:

i think the i3 is kind of rad, it looks like a car from a movie that takes place in THE FUTURE

Yeah exactly. It's like the concept designers got to put a car directly into production. It's not the prettiest thing, but I kind of like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Terrist posted:

The Aztec is now relieved it no longer is the car everyone laughs at

Not XTREME enough, you mean the Aztek.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not won over by the looks, but it's 170bhp, about 1250kg, and rear-drive, making it about on par with an E30 325i. The only real problem I have is the price - I would basically be directly cross-shopping it with an M135i, and yeah, that's not happening.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Looking at the guy's face in the third picture, it almost seems that he realizes he's driving a robot's testicle.

What is up with the :pwn: side windows anyway?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InitialDave posted:

I'm not won over by the looks, but it's 170bhp, about 1250kg, and rear-drive, making it about on par with an E30 325i. The only real problem I have is the price - I would basically be directly cross-shopping it with an M135i, and yeah, that's not happening.

Yes, but can you be endlessly smug if you're driving the M135i?

I didn't think so.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The i3 could be way more succesful if it had a non retarded range extender. 7 liters of fuel and you need to fully recharge the battery before you can fuel up again when it is gone.
If it had a normal fuel tank (like 35 liters) and you could refuel it without recharging it would sell like hotcakes here because due to taxes it is pretty cheap.
People who buy cars for tax reasons do not care about looks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

razorscooter posted:

Name any future-car from a movie that doesn't look instantly dated/terribad after the fact?

I walked past one at the local dealership and looked inside. Yeah, it's "quirky" but the interior looked dated already. I didn't like it one bit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Coydog posted:

The i3 is like a hyper-Prius with smug overload with a hood that isn't meant to be opened ever. "car guys" get all indignant about it grin and nudge the person next to them and go 'heh i3 HEH' especially because it's cool to hate BMW now because they made driver cars before and now they have lost their way and made everything fat and man why don't they sell cars with roll up windows anymore :argh:
It's totally a dog-pile thing. For me the Aztek wasn't that bad looking vs. the hate it got, but when you take into account how GM designed that thing and the committee work and all that it becomes more ugly. Same could be said about the i3 I suppose. We also have car guys on this very forum that like to hate on Tesla of all things even though they make an electric car with more room than SUVs and capable of keeping up with M3s that can go 200+ miles without using gasoline. Also, American made but I guess that's cool to hate as well, maybe.

I like the i3 quite a lot visually, but I also know that poo poo is going to look dated faster than the new Camaro.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Name any future-car from a movie that doesn't look instantly dated/terribad after the fact?

Citroen DS still gets cast as "future car" in movies some 60 years after it was a actual production car.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

If you really wanted to get into semantics, I DID say Future-car, not real-car portrayed as future-car.

Either way, doesn't mean it doesn't still look like garbage ;)

Back on point, there are at least one or two i3's cruising around here in VT. They stand out strictly because they're so terrible to look at.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Probably would look better as a solid color

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It stands out so the owner can be seen driving an electric car, and so other drivers are already watching it before it cuts across 3 lanes without signaling. Everybody wins!

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
It looks like an Aztek.

And I say that as a BMW owner.

Edit: beaten. But it does look like an Aztek.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I sat in one when the auto show rolled into town, parts of the door were made from that fibrous grey cardboard stuff most other manufacturers use to make the glove box out of. That poo poo was exposed and between that and the loving teak dashboard I just washed my hands of the rest of the BMW's there.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

The i3 could be way more succesful if it had a non retarded range extender. 7 liters of fuel and you need to fully recharge the battery before you can fuel up again when it is gone.
If it had a normal fuel tank (like 35 liters) and you could refuel it without recharging it would sell like hotcakes here because due to taxes it is pretty cheap.

Are you loving kidding me? 7 liters and you have to fully charge before you can fill it up again? Jesus Christ. :psyboom:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
would

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

Wait, how does it keep you from fuelling up again?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wait, how does it keep you from fuelling up again?

I'd be interested in this too because that has to be wrong, that's just so glaringly retarded. Altho just 7 litres is pretty loving retarded too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The i3 has some major flaws like the fuel issue but all in all it is cool and good and cars like it are going to be what keeps BMW relevant as the people who buy their other lovely products die off.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I unironically like the i3; it's actually a pretty fun little city car...that is, if you live in a proper loving city and not some lovely North American suburban gulag.

So basically gently caress all of you

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Poor 13"

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb / not reading this right or something, but what possible reason could there be for them to gimp it like this? :psyduck: I mean, I can see the reason for the low fuel capacity (packaging, and the potential for the fuel to sit in the tank for a while without being used up) but why effectively hard limit the range like that?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My dad has one and he absolutely loves it. Mostly because it qualifies for the commuter lane here in KKKalifornia and it cuts his commute time way down.

I've driven it and it's actually a really nice driving car. Spooky quiet, reasonably quick - a bit slower than my e30, and it corners like a BMW. The ride is firm but smooth, with very little body roll. The *best* bit about driving it, though, is that you don't have to look at the outside of it. It's clearly designed to stand out, however it looks like a bulldog.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ssjonizuka posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw an interesting interview on Autoline After Hours recently that delivers some compelling arguments about how the i3 is the dreadnaught of cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDr4L6BzpP8

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Coydog posted:

I also like the i3. It's light (by modern standards - same as a Clio RS and about the same size despite being a RWD hybrid), RWD and has those skinny tyres. My only issue with it is that, at £30k, my next BMW is going to be a used E8x 130i 5 door or possibly a heavily chipped F20 118i M Sport.

The 3 and the 4 are simply vast, fat, boring cars with too much weight and grip to use on a B road. Also they now have Efficient Dynamics out the wazoo, are mostly diesels and for both the foregoing reasons break all the loving time, but still only get 35mpg in the real world. An i3, my 325ti or a 1 series is about the limit for a good road car, and even that is best when it's wet, so you can turn off DSC and actually get it to slide.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb / not reading this right or something, but what possible reason could there be for them to gimp it like this? :psyduck: I mean, I can see the reason for the low fuel capacity (packaging, and the potential for the fuel to sit in the tank for a while without being used up) but why effectively hard limit the range like that?

Looking for it now it seems the "needs to fully recharge" thing is not actually true. I initially found it in a review and it is what people bring up all the time when discussing the i3 but most reviews don't mention it at all. The RX can just barely keep up with energy needs and doesn't actually recharge the battery so if you run down the battery you are stucking stopping every 60 miles or so and limited to ~75 mph (less uphill).
The reason for the gimped fuel tank is appearently that they want it to qualify as a Bevx in the US and it needs to have less gas range than battery range for that. So that is why the US gets a software limited 1.9 gallon fuel tank and no switch to manually engage the RX whereas in europe you get 2.4 gallons and you can manually engage the RX below 80% charge.

2.4 Gallons is still stupid. It basically turns into a $40k 37hp car with a tiny fuel tank after you run down the battery

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It's meant as an option for people that won't buy a Leaf or a Focus EV because "what if i get stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

razorscooter posted:

It's meant as an option for people that won't buy a Leaf or a Focus EV because "what if i get stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"

This is why you buy a volvo V60 plug in hybrid. So you can pretend to care about the environment, score all the tax breaks and still drive a 280 hp all wheel drive car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

See my later statement. That applies here. That's just a tarted up delorean.

gently caress, you got me there. That's awesome.

• Locked thread