Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Best thread title. Let's do this.

Which pick do I use on Charles Sims? 1.01 or 0.01?

Doug Martin's fifth year option did not get picked up today, gentlemen start your Sims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Cordarelle Patterson was massively disappointing last year. Do we think he's going to have a better year (as in, they'll actually figure out how to make use of his talents)?

It's less a worry of MIN not making use of his talents and more him learning to run a route and be good at football outside of being a freakish athlete.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any Dynasty / My Fantasy League gurus in the house?

I'm putting together a startup dynasty league with a bunch of friends this year, and we're trying to figure out some of the initial details. Couple of questions:

Any thoughts on the merits of 20 man vs. 30 man rosters? Or other sizes to consider?
Having just done a 24 round slow draft with Goons, I still feel like there were plenty of options available to take once the draft finished, but it might make the waiver wire incredibly barren. We are likely not doing IDP, and probably structuring rosters as follows: 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 RB/WR/TE / 1 Defense / 1 Kicker.

In practice, how do kickers and defense play out in Dynasty?
Are they worth the headache, or should we look at IDP as another high variance positional option to add in? I'm worried that doing dynasty + IDP is going to be a lot of new poo poo for these guys.

Is there a way to do a combination live/email drafts in MFL?
Assuming we go with deep benches and do a 30 round startup draft, I'd like to mix a live draft with a slow email draft to keep things interesting, probably about half-and-half. Is there a way to do that with MFL? Or will I manually have to load players in to make it work?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anthony Davis just announced his retirement, so Carlos Hyde takes a hit in value. What the gently caress is going on with the 49ers.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

If you're doing MFL10s, be careful how you set your Pre-Draft list or you'll end up like Purple Thunder over here, lol:

http://football30.myfantasyleague.com/2015/options?L=11787&O=07

He's got 4 QBs and 0 RBs after 9 rounds.

Edit:

Who is Former Kicker Ray Finkle? I think I remember you being in the Goon Slow Draft. I'm Quarter Roys - good luck dude.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 7, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Its Miller Time posted:

How do you rank the top RB's?

What I've generally seen is top tier (rankings based on current ECR):

Jamaal Charles
Le'Veon Bell
Adrian Peterson
Matt Forte
Eddie Lacy
Marshawn Lynch
Arian Foster

2nd tier:

LeSean McCoy
CJ Anderson
DeMarco Murray
Jeremy Hill

However, I've seen more variance than I think there was in previous years. All 4 PFF graders put Forte as 2nd tier, ranking him 7/8/9/11. I'm also surprised Murray is getting marked down that far, you'd think the Eagles offense would be good to him.

1. How do you rank them?
2. In a PPR league where do you begin drafting WR's in the first round over them? I'm looking at the Sablich Brothers ranking, they have 6 WR's and Gronk in their top 12. Same with the Tozzi Brothers except they have Jimmy Graham. Those 6 are Brown, OBJ, D. Thomas, Dez, Julio and Jordy/Calvin.

Here's my top 2 tiers:

Guys I'd pick in the first:
Le'Veon Bell
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Charles
Eddie Lacy
Marshawn Lynch

Guys I'd pick in the second:
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
CJ Anderson
DeMarco Murray
Jeremy Hill
Justin Forsett
Frank Gore
LeSean McCoy

I'm probably higher than most on Forsett and Gore, but I believe they will both be RB1s in PPR leagues.

Gronk should go in the top 10, and possibly even top 5 due to how much of a ridiculous positional advantage he gives you at TE.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Basically auction is where its at

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

cheese posted:

I've been doing mock drafts/draft simulators to get ready, and I feel like the one spot I'm struggling is once I get into that late RB2/RB3 range. The Latavius Murrays, the Blounts, Randles, Joique Bell, Bernard, etc. What are you guys looking for when taking those backs? Lets say you went WR/WR, got Alfred Morris with your 3rd pick and are looking at taking RB's with your next two picks. Do you want a player who is a reliable starter or the best back in a RBBC? Most of those guys all have huge red flags and I'm trying to figure out which red flags I'm ok with.

I'd throw Ellington in the mix as someone probably undervalued around that tier due to injury concerns.

Speaking of injury concerns, Joique Bell had his knee and achilles cleaned up during the offseason, is 29 and was pretty inefficient last year. If you want to take a swing on a rookie, Ameer Abdullah has a strong chance to emerge in the Detroit backfield this season. Abdullah seems to be the consensus third most talented rookie back behind Gordon and Gurley (Matt Waldman ranked him #2 in the RSP). Evan Silva/Rotoworld really like him too: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10338/ameer-abdulla

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 22, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Another excellent value pick this year is Anquan Boldin. He can usually be had in the 10th or 11th round in most drafts, and his last two seasons he has sneakily come in at #14 and #18 WR. Not sexy, but for where you can get him...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any new recommendations on podcasts?

My goto list:

The Audible, On the Couch from Footballguys
Rummy and Ray
Fantasy Feast with Evan Silva and Ross Tucker
Rotoviz Radio
DLF Dynasty Podcast
4for4
PFF Radio

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

escalator dropdown posted:

I've been listening to/reading FBG for a long, long time now, and this is pretty accurate. Lammey's both annoying and increasingly uninformative, so of course he's the one with an actual radio / sports writing gig. Bloom and Waldman are both great resources though, especially for dynasty league owners. Their personalities rarely annoy me, and while they always end up having a few hype-train players that they latch onto (like anyone else), they're excellent at articulating their reasoning behind their opinion and are usually somewhat humble and/or transparent about it. Bramel's mostly on injury and defense coverage so I can't speak as much to the value of his opinions but he seems like a chill dude.

Basically, skip The Audible unless Cecil's off for the week, listen to On The Couch (Bloom) and follow Bloom/Waldman on Twitter. That's 95% of the good FBG content, and it's free. Their paid content is basically news (which you get faster and for free elsewhere), rankings (no rankings are worth paying for), and articles. There's maybe a couple articles a year worth a read to an experience fantasy player, though more of the strategy articles might be helpful/fresh to newer people.

Matt Waldman is also the creator of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio, which has some good insights on incoming rookies each year. As someone who doesn't watch CFB, I've found it to be a pretty helpful resource, but don't know what his hit rate is like.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Grantland NFL Podcast is also a great listen, but it is more of an NFL podcast than a fantasy football podcast(though there is the occasional fantasy chatter). They also did an episode solely focused on Under Siege 2 a few weeks ago.

Yesterday's On the Couch featured Sigmund Bloom interviewing 4for4's John Paulsen and talking MFL10 strategy, definitely worth a listen if you're a fellow MFL degenerate.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

thrawn527 asked for a podcast with weekly breakdowns of the games, and I think Grantland is one of the best for that. It's also a great way to get more familiar with offensive lines and coaching schemes, since they're "actual football" guys and will talk about more than statlines (one of the hosts is a bit of an O-line fetishist).

Oh, you're totally right on - just wanted to clarify in case someone thought that it was a fantasy-specific podcast, not trying to be a dick.

I agree with all you're saying, I definitely have learned a ton about O-lines, defensive schemes and football in general by listening. Even if Mays did mock like 5-6 guards taken in the first round of the NFL draft, or whatever it was.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I just joined that Goon MFL and we need some more people to get in on this. You'll be doing all of your drafts in about a month or so, and this is infinitely better practice than any mock drafts that you'll do.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Question for the MFL/Dynasty gurus out there:

I'm commish for a dynasty startup this year, and we're doing a startup auction draft for all players (including rookies) and starting our first rookie draft in 2016. Is it possibly to temporary expand rosters to allow for a rookie draft on MyFantasyLeague, and then force people to cut players to get down to the original size? So, let's say we're doing 24 man rosters and do a 4-round rookie draft. Would we expand our rosters to 28 for the rookie draft, and cut back down to 24 after the draft and forcing owners to each cut 4 players? Or is there a better way to handle rookie draft/free agent cuts that anyone would recommend?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

89 posted:

Fine, I'm in! (Somebody has to remind me when the draft is)

As soon as we fill the league up, it'll start at 1:00 PM EST (or if we're past that time, the next day). Once it kicks off, it's a slow draft email format with 8 hours on the clock for each pick. It'll email you when it is your pick, and you can set pre-draft picks for each round to make things go faster.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How many slots in the MFL10 league are left? If we lock in those final guys in the next few hours, we'll be able to kick off today!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Azhais posted:

Pitta isn't medically cleared yet and may never be

And the Ravens trading up to draft Maxx Williams in the second round should also tell you how they feel about Pitta's prospects.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

If there's any interest in doing the Beer Trade Fantasy League again this year, I activated it in ESPN this morning, and started a new thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732413

Last year's participants get first crack at joining, and I'll post back in this thread if any slots open up. It is basically a Fantasy Football BIF.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Papes posted:

I don't think miller or obj are being drafted that high honestly. I probably won't own many shares but I don't think their adp is outrageous.

I've done about a dozen MFL10s, and OBJ has never fallen into the second round from what i've seen, 7 sounds about right (based on my anecdotal experience.)

Miller is usually mid-late third round, but falls to the fourth sometimes.

And Kevin White goes wayy too early, usually the second rookie WR off the board just before Agholor and Perriman, who are both usually taken in the 7th/8th. I'm a Chicago homer but won't touch him at current ADP due to the FoxFactor.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Azhais posted:

obj's adp is 7. Ahead of known studs like Dez. That's pretty outrageous.

The most interesting part of that article to me was that the Rotoworld guys are starting a podcast.

I think it's a DFS-only podcast that Levitan and Evan Silva will be hosting every Thursday. Evan Silva is already on the Fantasy Feast podcast with Ross Tucker, so if you like his stuff, give it a listen.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Gearman posted:

Here's an interesting dilemma. I pick 9th overall, 0.5 PPR, and can keep two of these guys:

- Jamaal Charles (1st round)
- Martavis Bryant (8th Round)
- Joseph Randle (8th Round)
- Latavius Murray (8th Round)
- Kelvin Benjamin (12th Round)
- Travis Kelce (16th Round)

I like Randle and Murray as they both have lots opportunity to be RB1 on their respective teams. Randle has the better O-line, but I see Murray as the more talented back, but, ugh, Raiders. Benjamin's value is also pretty exceptional, and I only put Kelce on the board there because the next two rounds after him are typically D/STs and Kickers, so it's about as good a value as I could ever hope for in a top-5 TE.

Kelce should unquestionably be one of your two picks, assuming you have to start a TE in this league, as he is a 4th/5th round value and has huge upside.

I like Charles as your other pick. Charles is a top 5 pick at the cost of 1.9, and assuming others are keeping their first round picks, you likely won't get a better RB1 (I'm guessing guys like CJ and Jeremy Hill are being kept at the cost of late round picks).

While the value on Randle/Murray/KB are good, I'd rather lock down a top flight RB than go on value alone, as I find each has some warts that make me tend to avoid them in general. Randle may not be the guy in Dallas, Murray doesn't have the full trust/backing of his coaching staff and is an RB on the Raiders, and KB has some red flags too (showing up to training camp overweight, drop issues, etc.).

I wouldn't hate taking Martavis at the cost of an 8th, though - PIT O is a solid bet this year, and a lot of people are really high on him this year. His ADP is steadily rising.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Jerry Jones said some stuff about Joseph Randle being the #1 RB, sound the alarm.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'd rather have Frank Gore more so much it hurts.

Agreed 100%.

This is all moot anyways Since Ray Rice will be the starter in Dallas by midseason

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

They're not steals, just guys I'm looking at as a low end RB2 at about the same ADP as Randle. Rookie RBs are super valuable and usually are the steal guys, especially if you get a high usage guy like Doug Martin in his rookie season.

I'm just not that high on a lot of RB's this year. Like I'd only want McCoy, Murray, or Charles as my RB1 over a stellar WR, and I'm really iffy about guys like Peterson and Lynch. I just think a stellar QB/WR/WR combo carries fantasy teams now so I'm going into the draft looking to land Rodgers and two elite WRs while filling my RBs out with speculation rookies/high usage guys.

Why would you even think about drafting McCoy early this year? He looked really bad last year when the Eagles O-line went belly up, the Bills O-Line sucks poo poo, his targets are going to go way down in a Greg Roman Offense, and the Bills have probably the worst QB situation in the league which will do him no favors. Yeah, he'll get volume, but he has bust written all over him this year. Not to mention all of his off the field poo poo this offseason.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Here's some good reading on why you should wait on QBs unless you're in a 2QB or Superflex league: http://www.lateroundqb.com/why-you-should-draft-your-quarterback-late-every-single-year/

Written last year, but still extremely relevant.

TL;DR: The dropoff in QB tiers is steady compared to the more volatile tier dropoffs for RBs and WRs, meaning that by taking a QB in early rounds, you're significantly reducing the chance that you will draft RBs or WRs who are likely to produce elite (and usable) weeks. The difference between RB1/RB32 and WR1/WR32 are more drastic than the difference between QB1/QB32.

QBs also have the most predictable production out of any position, so you can wait to draft a late round QB and stream matchups throughout the season and have a much higher chance at achieving top 10 production out of the position than you would by employing the same strategy for WR or RB.

Even Andrew Luck can lay an egg in week 2 of the Fantasy Playoffs and end your season right there.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How could you leave out Riley Cooper and Bryan Hartline

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Legarette Blount failed his conditioning test at camp yesterday, so now's your chance to use a late round flier on Jonas Grey or James White before their ADP jumps.

That said, drafting a NE RB is never a good idea.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Also in if we're doing auction and FAAB

I was trying to cut down on my leagues this year, but that is seeming more and more unlikely as the season gets closer. I'd probably join too.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any MyFantasyLeague gurus in the house? I'm trying to test out their auction format before my dynasty startup draft next weekend (I'm commish), and the only way to do so seem to be to schedule an actual draft. Do I just schedule two drafts, and just stop and null the results of the first once i've finished testing? Or do they have some sort of sandbox or mock auction draft option i'm missing?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

pangstrom posted:

In what universe does Luck fall to the 3rd round.

Thats about the least egregious thing for me in this draft. I think its cooler that he got 10 fourth/fifth round picks.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Good luck deciding who to start each week tho

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

drizzle posted:

Yeah as long as you have inside information that will tell you what weeks to play him

Which weeks does he play the Colts this year?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Desean Jackson is great in best ball

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Had my first ever dynasty startup auction draft yesterday after months of planning and anticipation. After some technical hiccups, we switched to a manual auction system and it was a blast.

Here's my roster, how'd I do?

.5 PPR, 12 Teams
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DST/K

QB: Rivers, Palmer, Bortles
RB: Foster, Gore, Abdullah, Ivory, Matthews, Dunbar, Herron, Polk
WR: Dez, Allen Robinson, Landry, DJax, Larry Fitzgerald, Stevie Johnson, Marvin Jones, Josh Huff, Jeff Janis
TE: Gronk, Donnell
D/ST: Jets
K: Who gives a poo poo

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 16, 2015

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Suave Fedora posted:

We have another thread for team ratings.

Your RB1 position is dogshit. Gore as your effective RB1 may hurt more than help. You really need some luck that Joique won't be lead back for long and that the Jets take the training wheels off of Ivory's usage like they should have last season. Your WR2 leaves a bit to be desired but you have a slew of promising WR3s. Obviously strong at TE and if Donnell blows up early like last season, try to trade him away for an RB1.5 like Miller.

Missed that thread link this year. Whoops.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sounds like McCoy should be good to go for Week 1, but the Bills are talking internally about adding Ray Rice (aka, testing the waters of what the PR fallout would be).

I thought Ray Rice would end up somewhere this year, but the Bills is far from an ideal destination.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Kelvin Benjamin just carted off of the field with a knee injury. No good.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Poor bastard. Never want to see that happen to a guy. Hope he's able to get healthy and come back for a big year in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dynasty question.

Did a startup last week, and my RBs are as follows (.5 PPR):

Foster, Gore, Abdullah, Ivory, Mathews, Polk, Herron, Dunbar

I spent big on Gronk (though I got really nice value on him) and Dez and focused on grabbing value where I saw it otherwise, so I didn't have a ton of budget to spend on any one RB. RB is definitely my worst position currently.

A guy in my league who has an even worse RB situation is offering me a Woodhead (who I'm high on, at least for this year) and a 1st round pick for Gore, which seems like a pretty awesome deal value-wise, except it would make my RB situation much more questionable than it already is and makes competing this year even tougher.

Until Foster gets healthy, I'm stuck rotating Abdullah, Mathews, Ivory and Woodhead in by matchups unless Gore gets hurt or Polk steps up as a three down back while Foster is out. I should note that I'm really high on Gore this year in the Indy offense, and probably value him higher than most.

I'm still pretty new to dynasty valuations, as this is my first time playing this format. Accept or decline?

• Locked thread