Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: :siren: FINE gently caress YOU HERE HERE'S THE GOD drat LINK TO THE GOD drat BEERSHEETS :siren: :siren:

old dog child posted:

Goon Fantasy Football IRC
There's always people idling. Stress about your flex in real time!
#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2015. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

In addition to the links below you can also check out this list from Dynasty League Football. This Reddit post also has a ton of useful information.

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Bleacher Report Fantasy Football Newsletter: Varg recommends this newsletter as a useful source of NFL information and sit/start advice.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
Useful Premium Resources
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • DraftCalc: Known for bold projections. Also a fair number of fantasy articles and projections.
Useful League Resources
  • LeagueSafe: Online fantasy league escrow service. It has some limitations (no in-season transactions), but the fees are low and I had a great experience with it.
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
  • Draft Night: Online draft web board with multiple apps. I haven't used it yet.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Twitter
Want to know when a previously unheard of player is starting, or that your stud is out for the game because of a DUI? Twitter is your friend! These recommendations come from Dirt Worshipper and Azhais.

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
Just listen to Azhais:

Azhais posted:

:words:

I listen/have listened to approximately all the podcasts. A common theme in the ones I don't like: acting like they are funnier than they are/trying to make it like some sort of morning talk show. I like my (fantasy) football news to be as dry and informative as possible. Ordering here is pretty much straight off the podcast app on my phone so don't read into the ordering.

The Most Accurate Podcast (4for4.com): So far it is pretty content lite (it only started up in March and is focused on redraft leagues, so not real surprising) and is mostly an advertisement for itself (:iiam: if I'm listening to the podcast I probably already know about it). 4 for 4 has been one of the most accurate sites for a few years now, so I'll give this one a go til the start of the season anyway.

Shutdown corner (Yahoo): Football news, not fantasy, but Greg Cossell knows his stuff. If you're just interested in general football chat/draft talk, this one is pretty good.

Under the Helmet (DLF): Done by Chad Parsons of dynastyleaguefootball.com (and formerly of PFF I believe). This is about as dry and informative as it gets, even for me. Chad talks like someone on classical NPR, almost whispering into the mic. But he's very informative and very stats/numbers heavy. Primarily focused on dynasty and keeper leagues and he's big on discussing measurables and doing player comparisons.

Fantasytaz: Fantasy Football Power Hour: Not a fan and I don't listen to it anymore. He's got some good information for redraft leagues, but I can't deal with his personality. Lots of people like him, and I follow him on twitter because he actually has some good observations, but he's a little more boisterous than I like out of my radio shows. Shallow complaint to be sure.

Draft Countdown (draftcountdown.com): NFL draft and prospect talk. I like to keep up on the up and comers for dynasty purposes and Scott Wright puts on a good show. Minimal fantasy value outside of dynasty, but if you want to know all about the trials and tribulations of your favourite team's newly drafted backup right guard, this is the place to be.

DLF podcast (dynastyleaguefootball.com): One of my favorites for the offseason anyway. Lots of discussion of the teams and depth charts and waiver advice and sleepers for your dynasty league. Of marginal value for redrafts I expect, but if I can only listen to one or two podcasts some week, this is one of them.

NFL draft tracker (NFL.com): More prospect talk. I rarely end up listening to this one because it ends up being mostly sportscaster style interviews with the recent draftees (aka every running back Who do you feel you pattern your game after? Adrian Peterson), but leading up to the draft they had some pretty decent views on the prospects. Again, very low fantasy value.

Pro Football Focus Fantasy: They have 4 shows.
Quick Snap- Redraft focused. Like all of PFF's podcasts they are heavily numbers based, and being the offseason they are fairly content light at the moment, mostly discussing mock drafts and early projections. I quite like both of the hosts and this is on my short list to listen to each week, tho they need to drop their fake sponsors because the bits aren't that funny (This week's show brought to you by S-Mart!).
The Dynasty Slant- Their dynasty show. Like all dynasty shows the present discussions are on new startups, a lot of trade analysis in the offseason, breakout candidates, waiver stashes, etc. Also on my short list each week.
The Nickel- Their IDP show. Redraft and Dynasty discussions about all things IDP and who is gaining/losing value based on position and scheme changes, who is likely to acquire more or less work, how new rookies are going to displace veterans. Ross Miles breaks it all down with a sexy British accent (if you're in to that sort of thing). An absolute must listen if you do IDP leagues, and Ross has been one of the most accurate IDP analysts for a while now.
The Mike and Taz show- Redraft oriented. Another Fantasy Taz show, which means I don't listen to it because I don't like loud.

Fantasy Football Weekly (KFAN): One of the grand daddy fantasy football radio shows from KFAN in Minnesota. Entirely redraft oriented and offline during the offseason. This airs for two hours every Saturday morning during the regular season which means they aren't at all helpful for Thursday games, but I quite enjoy them overall. They might fall off my list somewhat depending on how I end up liking 4for4's regular season content as one can only listen to so many Sit/Start radio shows, which is the primary focus of this one.

Fantasy Focus Football (ESPN): Matthew Berry's daily fantasy show. Rapidly falling off my list just due to how much random crap they do that isn't all that focused on fantasy football (this goes back to my morning radio complaint up top), but I do make a point to listen to the Thursday (or Friday? its been a while since the regular season) show when they do the injury updates/training camp reports. Other than that they have a lot of gimmick shows, and a lot of sit/start type advice. As entertaining as listening to some pro wrestler grade trades is I spend my time elsewhere most of the time.

The Audible (footballguys.com): Pretty much everything FBG does is decent, and the Audible is no different. Others have already discussed this one, so I'll leave it there. I could do without the rap intros however. FBG also does "On the Couch" which is their live show with various guests, and that one is pretty hit or miss depending on the guests/topics.

FFToolbox: Fantasy Football Toolbox, in contrast to their name, is a pretty general fantasy sports site. I've found its real hit or miss if the show is going to be about football, or baseball, or hockey (or all three). Perhaps during the regular season it is more focused, but I've taken it off my subscription list just because I don't like the Fantasy Sports Roulette that the podcast seems to be. I might give it a shot again once the season starts up, but I've got enough to listen to :effort:

Tuesdays with Aaron: Aaron Rodgers' weekly show :allears:

There are a variety of others that I've taken off my subscription lists just due to volume of things I listen to, low content, or just being too gameshow-y (or just not liking the hosts for one reason or another.) CBS's podcast, NFL fantasy live, dynasty football warehouse, the fantasy football guys (not to be confused with the football guys), probably others.

tl;dr- Send Help

Also Dren:

Dren posted:

You should add Christopher Harris's Fantasy Underground (available on iTunes) podcast to the podcast list.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hazo posted:

Is Graham expected to be #1 at TE again this year now that he's with Seattle, or has Gronk moved up (followed by a plummet in TE value)? I used my 1.12/2.1 picks on Graham and Ball last year in the league I run and missed the championship for the first time ever and I need to be talked out of doing that again.

I'd say Gronk is over Graham at this point. There's a metric fuckton of uncertainty going on with respect to Seattle and how they'll use Graham. Hopefully he'll bounce back this year, because while he was TE2 last year there wasn't really that big of a difference between him and the rest of the field.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

old dog child posted:

Perfect thread tag

e: Beer, can you add the IRC info to the OP?

Goon Fantasy Football IRC
There's always people idling. Stress about your flex in real time!
#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

Done.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

Also, as a podcast update since that post is like two years old.

Shutdown Corner: No longer hosted by Cossell. Sever.

Under the Helmet: Chad Parsons moved from DLF to his own site (uthdynasty) and his podcast went premium. I wasn't impressed with my UTH subscription last year and the cost went way up this year, so he can just go to hell.

PFF's lineup: These all got merged into a single show ("the fantasy slant") you can subscribe to (and the hosts just change day to day with the same content it used to have). Major downgrade since I can't just subscribe to the Nickle anymore and instead have to download everything. MY BANDWIDTH

Would you mind doing a rewrite of what people should be checking out?

RCarr posted:

Is CJ Anderson the favorite to be the Bronco's starter this year? I have the opportunity to keep him in the 18th.

He was by far the most efficient RB in Denver last year, and Kubiak's system is ridiculously RB friendly. I would definitely keep him at that spot.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 5, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VDay posted:

Is there a database somewhere that isn't ESPN of last year's point totals in standard scoring? ESPN being down "for maintenance" is pretty annoying since I always just use that to see how guys did in my league's scoring.

If you create a draft only MFL league you can tweak the scoring system to your heart's content and get historical data from the league page.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This time last year we were talking about how SOS had the Cowboys being the biggest pushovers in the NFL.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Brady disappearing basically nukes all of New England's fantasy value.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

drizzle posted:

Anyone want to take a quick look at my drops for my dynasty league? Need to drop 10.

Are you in a league where kickers from Philly have some kind of magical bonus? No? Then drop your kicker and keep both Britt and Brown. Richardson has an ACL tear that will likely keep him down.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cervixalot posted:

Any Dynasty / My Fantasy League gurus in the house?

I'm putting together a startup dynasty league with a bunch of friends this year, and we're trying to figure out some of the initial details. Couple of questions:

Any thoughts on the merits of 20 man vs. 30 man rosters? Or other sizes to consider?
Having just done a 24 round slow draft with Goons, I still feel like there were plenty of options available to take once the draft finished, but it might make the waiver wire incredibly barren. We are likely not doing IDP, and probably structuring rosters as follows: 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 RB/WR/TE / 1 Defense / 1 Kicker.

In practice, how do kickers and defense play out in Dynasty?
Are they worth the headache, or should we look at IDP as another high variance positional option to add in? I'm worried that doing dynasty + IDP is going to be a lot of new poo poo for these guys.

Is there a way to do a combination live/email drafts in MFL?
Assuming we go with deep benches and do a 30 round startup draft, I'd like to mix a live draft with a slow email draft to keep things interesting, probably about half-and-half. Is there a way to do that with MFL? Or will I manually have to load players in to make it work?

We use rosters of 24 and 2IR spots in both of my dynasty leagues and it works rather well. 30 would be a bit much IMO. Personally I hate kickers and see no benefit to using them, and even DSTs are pretty varied. One thing that might be fun is to use MFL's system of Team-based positions. So Team Defensive Linebacker, Team Defensive Lineman, Team Defensive Back, and Team Special Teams. I wouldn't know precisely how to score it, but it seems like it would be kind of cool to say you have the pass rush of the Texans, the defensive line of the Jets, and the secondary of the Seahawks. With special teams I might look at return yards. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

So something like 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLX/1TLB/1TDL/1TDB/1TST. With 12 players maybe I would boost the roster size to 30 since my other leagues use 10 players.

You can do both a slow and live draft in MFL. Maybe do a live draft for the free agents and the e-mail draft for rookies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

axelord posted:

Not sure if anyone here visits the Reddit Fantasy football Subreddit but some guy has a write up on Offensive Lines for this year:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/37rdnb/your_big_guide_to_offensive_lines_this_year_and/

Thought it was interesting. A few of the better teams he points out were the Eagles, Saints, Cowboys and Browns.

After reading it I have to admit that I'll be paying attention more to whats going on with the Saint RB's and I didn't have any interest in Spiller before. Seems like he might be a nice value.

He likes Lamar Miller for this year too.

I was just about to post this. Awesome work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

I'm gonna continue posting to this thread because nobody else is:

Dynasty trade, .5 ppr 2RB/2WR/1WRT:

My:
AJ Green
2015 2nd round pick (which is dumb because we're already in the 4th and I would counter without it anyway)

His:
Eddie Lacy

My WR/RB:

Matt Forte
Shane Vereen
Bishop Sankey
Stevan Ridley
Ameer Abdulla
(so I could probably use the RB)

AJ Green
Jordy Nelson
Golden Tate
Jordan Matthews
Kendall Wright
Charles Johnson
Paul Richardson
Chris Conley

Overall I could probably soak the loss of AJ. What do people think of a straight Lacy/Green swap?

What worries me is what happens when Jordy Nelson goes away. That said Golden Tate is a good pickup and Jordan Matthews could really excel, so I would probably make the trade given your needs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I sort of disagree with this logic. Your top ten picks should be guys you think will be top five producers at their position. That is all that should matter.

Yes you should obviously focus on studs, but the issue is risk. Failing to take risk into account is what leads to getting a massive bust. There are so many options in the early picks that I prefer to focus on safer choices with proven track records.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I've justified it in my own mind. I traded Alshon Jeffery (12th round keeper) for Adrian Peterson (1st round keeper). 12 team league.

I pick 8th in my keeper league draft, and the majority of top backs were kept. The best back there for me at 8 would *maybe* be Alfred Morris. Backs like AP are extremely hard to get your hands on in a keeper league, and I realize that while Alshon at a 12 is much better overall value, I can build my WR core through the fantasy draft. As it stands, I kept AP (1) and Latavius Murray (16), so I can probably go WR in rounds 2 and 3. Tons of WR hit the draft this year (Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Randall Cobb just to name the better ones), so if things work out I'll be able to snag one of them and go from there.

You Done hosed Up.

"Alshon at a 12 is much better overall value" is precisely where you should have stopped. Keepers is entirely about value, just as drafting is all about maximizing your overall team performance. One player does not make a fantasy football team, and if you could have for example Antonio Brown and Alshon Jeffery as your WR1 and WR2 that would have been fantastic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Metapod posted:

Kenny Britt aka two games made him a superstar among fantasy players

It only took Doug Martin one game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Am I being a dumbass for keeping two D/ST in my dynasty league? We have pretty large rosters (30 spots including IR) so the waiver is pretty bare and we've already had our rookie draft. Should I drop the texans or the cardinals and pick up Bobby Rainey/Jordan Todman/Allan Hurns/Boobie Dixon/Lance Dunbar/Marcedes Lewis?

That's a large enough roster that holding on to defenses makes sense.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ride Lacy and Peterson to the championship IMO but I'm still a big believer in RB being the most consistent position in fantasy.

E: In my 3 years of winning championships I had absolute stud RBs (last year my idiot league went nuts with WRs and QBs so I managed to get Forte/Murray/Bell and I rode those ponies all the way without breaking a sweat).

You absolutely grab Lacy and laugh when you get to keep him for years to come.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love nerdchat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The takeaway I get from those values is that draft strategy and position are statistically insignificant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Fantasy Football 2015: that's a lot of words and numbers that end up meaning nothing

Instincts are cool and I'm not a fan of any method that uses projected points as a barometer for success

Projections are notoriously terrible. 40% of the time you're wrong 100% of the time. IMO the benefit of projections lies within the aggregate. How much better is player A expected to be relative to player B? How many people really think this guy is a stud? Which position is deep and which position is scarce?

Stuff like that is what helps me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zero RB strat last year was not viable. I did a bunch of mocks going for a Graham/Gronk or a DT/Peyton strat and kept getting Toby Gerhart and Bishop Sankey as RB1/2 and I wasn't comfortable with that

I actually drafted Graham and Gronk and ended up with Gerhart and Sankey as my RB1/2. Had I kept Bradshaw I would've ended up in the playoffs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enforka posted:

However, I did think of another interesting tweak to the simulation I'd be interested in seeing: What if, the 0RB guy values his 3rd and 4th RBs more than he does his 3rd and 4th WR? The idea being that he loads up on RBs in the mid-rounds, hoping to hit a lotto ticket as RBs get injured or wash out. Maybe that would improve the results of the strategy?

That's basically 0RB in a nutshell. The whole point behind the strategy is to capitalize on the light level of turnover in the RB position. If you're drafting high upside WR sleepers after you already have Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson then your strategy is not very optimal IMO.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Papes posted:

I disagree with the last part. Taking a few high upside flyers after grabbing studs at that position is a fine move. The point of the draft is to maximize the value of your team, not to have the best week to week lineup. If you already have studs at wr but you feel like the best pick at your slot is a high upside wr....take them. If you hit you will be very rich at a position and you will have valuable assets to make a trade if you are weak elsewhere.

I get your point, but I also feel like drafting to trade never works out. I would much rather focus on bolstering up my weak spots than taking a flyer. In the end I'd rather have a flyer RB than a flyer WR if my need is RB.

That's not to say you don't draft on value. Personally I ignore most strategies and just go PBA based on where I draft.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Can everyone in Cheating for Charity play for SLPC in wheez's honor this year? I think it would be a good gesture.

Sad stuff man :smith:

Southern Poverty Law Center? I won't speak for anyone else but I will dedicate my team for them.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets are coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

BeerSheets helped me win my league last year. I wasn't sure you were gonna do them again after that whole reddit debacle. Really happy you're still putting those together Beer!

As hilarious as that was, I was never going to stop doing BeerSheets. Especially not for SA.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

BeerSheets helped me beat Beer in the C4C league. Hoisted by your own petard, eh Beer! (Whatever a petard is)

You gonna do anything with Reddit for free still?

Yeah I'll do the sheets for Reddit still. The gold thing was an April Fool's joke.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

old dog child posted:

Can I make a very specific request for a keeper league? I'll donate to your charity team if it's too much trouble.

Sure, go for it. Shoot me a PM.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

As an outsider who doesn't give a poo poo about premium accounts or reddit in general it looks like they were actually trying to make a gold thing, saw the complete outrage (which they were ok with) and alienation of top contributors (now they have to backpedal) and are pulling the "gotcha! it was a joke all along. dance, puppets" defense

No, it was a joke.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cheese posted:

I've been doing mock drafts/draft simulators to get ready, and I feel like the one spot I'm struggling is once I get into that late RB2/RB3 range. The Latavius Murrays, the Blounts, Randles, Joique Bell, Bernard, etc. What are you guys looking for when taking those backs? Lets say you went WR/WR, got Alfred Morris with your 3rd pick and are looking at taking RB's with your next two picks. Do you want a player who is a reliable starter or the best back in a RBBC? Most of those guys all have huge red flags and I'm trying to figure out which red flags I'm ok with.

It's pretty rough. There are a few players I'm high on, but for the most part that area is either huge risks (Ingram, Gore, Hyde, Murray), or rookies (Yeldon, Gordon, Gurley).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doppelganger posted:

I'm seriously leaning towards not playing ANY fantasy football leagues this year. Just relax on sundays, don't worry about the Dolphins' WR depth, and enjoy my Saints.

As a Redskins fan fantasy football is basically the only way I can enjoy Sundays.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: :siren: Cheating For Charity 2015 Is Live! :siren: :siren:

In the last two years SA fantasy football nerds have managed to raise $3496. Every dime of that money (I cover the fees) has gone to charity. In 2013 the money went towards a pair children's hospitals, and last year the winners were an academy for children with autism and a speech therapy college fund. This year I'm hoping to beat our previous record of $2460, and if anyone is interested in joining up the more the merrier. This is, by far, the most competitive league I have ever played in. The cause is good, the play is serious, and it's a lot of fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets 2015-06-30

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Its Miller Time posted:

Beersheets, it's really starting to feel like a new season. I like the E/S/P idea, I tend to forget how a player did last year only to realize I drafted someone who had 600 yards but everyone assumes will get 1200...

I feel honored to be the first SA "hey, could you do..."

Could you do MFL's? A lot of people play it, maybe label it as such for other people? There's also just 1 standard sizing - using your language it's 1PPR 1QB 2R 3W 1T 1F

I can do pretty much any roster format that's reasonable. The hard part is deciding what should be added to my "standard" sheets. What size league? What roster format? Stuff like that.

Its Miller Time posted:

Beersheets doesn't have to answer this, I'm sure it's come up before (I'm looking at 1PPR/1QB/2R/2R/1T/1F but this follows for most PPR)

Do his sheets always suggest elite WR's are underdrafted in PPR? He has the first 5 WR's with a higher value than the first RB.

It's interesting that while Gronk owns a lot of the position scarcity, but his value puts him as worth taking in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

The definition of Elite (top 1/3 of position) is unclear to me. In a 12 team league does this mean top 4?

Elite WRs are almost always undervalued in PPR because how many points they score compared to the replacement tier guys. They're also generally more reliable sources of points because stud WRs (especially with PPR) have a higher floor.

Gronk's value is nuts this year. Look at his standard deviation. People have no idea WTF to do about him.

In a 12 team ESPN league it means the top 4 QBs, top 8 RBs, top 8 WRs, top 4 TEs. I might change it around to something else if it's confusing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

What's E/S/P? I feel like I should remember this, but I don't.

Not sure how, I just added it this year. Also everything is explained in the link.

E/S/P: This is how the player did last year. E stands for Elite, and represents the number of games the player put up points worthy of the top 1/3 of starter-worthy players in his position (QB4 or better in a 12 team 1QB league). S stands for Starter, and represents the number of times the player put up points worthy of a starter (QB12 or better in a 12 team 1QB league). P stands for played; the number of weeks the player actually played assuming a 16 week season.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 30, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm working on it, and I think I might. Especially if the Charity League decides to go with IDP.

So join the charity league and vote for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Its Miller Time posted:

Beer - The concept is clear, it's just tricky to word. I'd just add an (e.g.,), people will get what you mean immediately then. I'd use at least 2 examples, showing how the number is multiplied by the number of positions and showing which way you round in 8, 14 and 16 team leagues not evenly divisible by 3.

Sounds good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Any new recommendations on podcasts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I pay for 4for4, PFF, Rotoviz, Gridiron Experts, Dynasty League Football, and I used to pay for FBG. I do it for the BeerSheet projections. If FBG puts the projections behind a Paywall I will probably pay again.

If I was just doing it for myself I would probably focus on sites like Rotoviz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of paying for data, this week's BeerSheets are up.

• Locked thread