Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm mad at Detroit something awful because I'm playing for the bye this week, against the other guy who is playing for it, and NATURALLY he has Aaron Rodgers as his quarterback. First three quarters, I'm stoked, and then...that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I don't know who Allen Robinson is, but he scored 43 points for my opponent today. He also has Aaron Rodgers, but no one else on his team has done much, but because I started Landry I'm going to lose.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Spoeank posted:

Allen Robinson rules sorry about you not knowing that.

Apparently.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BigFactory posted:

Did you just wake up from a coma and rush to your computer to check your fantasy football match?

He plays for the jags, this is my first year playing fantasy football, and when I last played this dude it was a bye week for Robinson, so sure. I don't have him, he wasn't available as a free agent so no I didn't know who he was. Keeping him in mind for next year though.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

District Selectman posted:

Pro tip for next year, pay attention to more than your own team and free agents

Playing for the bye this week, since the playoff spot's already clinched for me, but please tell me more about how I'm doing it wrong. I'm sorry I didn't take into account this player 13 weeks ago during the draft and I don't masturbate over every excellent player I don't have access to. I don't see a point.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

District Selectman posted:

Good for you cool kids inc, we are all very impressed

You're very upset about the fact that I didn't know one dude in the entirety of the NFL, is all I'm saying.

Edit: As for trading players, it wasn't necessary (caveat: this season), which is what I was trying to say with the "Clenched playoffs, playing for bye" thing, not necessarily in general.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

RCarr posted:

And to be fair I'm not sure how it's possible to either play fantasy football or follow the sport of football without ever seeing or hearing about one of the best receivers in the league this season.

I'll concede that this guy is excellent, clearly, I missed the loving memo, but c'mon "Pro tip" guy was kind of a dick, too.

Arguably, what I've been doing has worked out very nicely for me. I didn't know who Robinson was at the beginning of the season, trades weren't happening in my league, mostly due to apathy on behalf of like half the league, and while he's top ten WR, there was very little reason for me to pay two bits of attention to anyone else's team when I know they're not going to trade what few very good players they have for the few positions where I have absolutely middling ones. I'm making Free Agents and initial draft picks work for me, very well. Give up a top ten QB/TE/WR/RB (any or all) for one WR? No, thanks, he's good,but not that good.

I have learned more about the game and the people who play it in the last four months than I've ever known about football.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 7, 2015

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

DeepDickPizza posted:

To be honest, I would trade a top ten QB, TE or maybe even a top ten RB for top 10 WR Allen Robinson, depending on my team's needs. I would not, however, trade a top 10 WR for other top 10 WR Allen Robinson because 1 for 1 trades at the same position are dumb and bad.

Also, try not to get too worked up when people call you out for not knowing who one of the best wide receivers in the league this year is. Even if you're not looking to trade, if you're interested in the sport of football or the fool's errand of fantasy football, it is good practice to know that dudes such as Allen Robinson do, indeed, exist.

Two of my three WR are top ten, with my third just out of it (though he had a piss poor showing this week, hence my griping).

I'm not upset anyone called me out, because it's evident I was silly for not knowing who he is. If you'd asked me ten weeks ago who Brandon Marshall or Landry were, I wouldn't have been able to tell you, but I learned, and in time to kick rear end (picked up both as Free Agents). I was annoyed at tone and the condescending "Pro tip" tossed my way, when I felt it was completely unnecessary. Had Robinson been on my radar until now? No, but he is now, and maybe I'll aim for him instead of a disappointing Julio Jones (unless the Falcons get their poo poo together during the off season) next year. If I continue this endeavor next year, it'll be on less of a "Gee golly, yeah I guess I'll help you round out the league" basis, and yeah, I'll focus more on the broad spectrum of players. If I don't do it next year, then oh well it was fun.

Bringing it back round to actual content: last game of the season pre playoffs next week, and I'm fairly confident in my lineup, but I'm wondering if I should bench Landry for Cooks who has been widely underestimated this season and regularly out performs projected points. He's not getting 43 points a game, but he's regularly topping twenty, and with my other two being Julio and Marshall, and Cooks going up against a pretty offensively boring Tampa Bay defense, I feel like it might be the wise decision.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BigFactory posted:

How did Brandon Marshall go undrafted? How many teams in your league?

8 teams, and as bad as you all think I am at this game, most of the rest of the league is worse. I picked up Carson Palmer and Todd Gurley as free agents, too.

Edit : yes, exactly about it not being about Julio and all being about Matt Ryan not getting him the ball/the rest of the offense not giving him room to do his thing.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 7, 2015

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Spoeank posted:

"I haven't fallen off my bike once!" says child with training wheels.

We get it that you're excited to be doing well in an 8-team league but you're, well, in an 8-team league. You didn't know one of the biggest fantasy stars in the league this year and puffed out your chest and was a dick about it.

Fair enough. I've seen lots of bragging and griping and have already conceded the Robinson point. The original post was supposed to be just a bit of exasperation (of which I've seen plenty in here) and it turned into this whole thing, so I'll just take my training wheels and unbookmark the thread as I'm obviously not on the same serious business level as everyone else. I understand this will be read as taking my toys and leaving, but it's really not. I am playing for fun in a silly free play work league, I don't really know if I have it in me to deal with the grief that I apparently brought on myself by posting about casual play in here.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BigFactory posted:

You've had this thread bookmarked all season and you didn't recognize the name of the number 5 wide receiver by Week 13?

I had it bookmarked two weeks. I didn't know this subforum existed until mid season, and I didn't know about this thread specifically until about two weeks ago. I've been reading the weekly sit/start thread and since there's no question about this guy (you start him unless he's not playing ), the name never came up. I've been using fantasypros rankings to manage my team and it's done me good so far.

I don't know how many times I can say "woops my fart" before it stops being a god drat issue.The level of salt that someone with my level of inexperience, even in the worst goddamn league ever, making the playoffs in here is impressive. I tried to change the subject, but my inexperience keeps coming up. So I'm going to give it one last shot.

Landry was disappointing this week, do we forsee this being a thing next week against the Giants? Like I said before, considering Cooks in his stead, but I also have DeSean Jackson currently benched as an option.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I've got Walker (vs NE) and Reed (vs Buffalo) for potential TE's. They're projected less than a point within one another. Walker has been good to me this season, and it seems that he consistently beats projections, but NE defense is beastly (4th least points to TEs versus Buffalo's 10th least). Should I go ahead and play Reed?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Bellmaker posted:

Enemy has ODB, it owns :getin:

Yes it does! Also mad mad props to whoever called Reed over Walker. It's been a good game for me!!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Jota posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd have been okay either way on that one

Up until just a few minutes ago, it was a landslide in Reed's favor, but I'll take any extra points, even if the margin is smaller than it initially was.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm in the championship bracket and I'm going to get my rear end handed to me:

I'm likely going to pick up the kicker they're recommending, but it absolutely breaks my heart that the best available DST is Houston. They're doing alright, but nothing like what he's got. I've got the waivers available, would it be smart to go through all three recommendations and pick them up?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Intruder posted:

The Texans are playing the Mettenberger-led Titans this week

That's...a very good point! Picked them up, and Santos too. Keeping Palmer for now, we'll see if that's enough (it won't be, but hey, fingers crossed, maybe he'll have a bad game).

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Palmer who has been regularly very good for me and playing against a tougher Green Bay defense or Bortles who's been pretty good over all and playing against a lulzy NO defense? Leaning towards Bortles, but this is a rough choice.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BigFactory posted:

I approve of Latavius Murray's performance last night.

Yeah, even with the points wonkiness, he was a good call. Hoping everyone else I was uncertain about pulls through like he did.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

You know, for as terrible as Bortles is doing, I have had no one else be terrible. I was, for a time, projected to score 200+ points. I have Cooks though, so this'll do.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Boosh! posted:

Won 2 out of 3 leagues this season. You guys rock! Thanks for all your help this year.

I wouldn't worry. Garbage time Bort will bring you to the the promised land.

Yes, he apparently has! Thanks, garbage time Bort! I hope you continue with this!

I've won the game, broken 200 points, and have taken the Championship!

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 28, 2015

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Hazo posted:

Same here. Put barely any thought into it but it's free so why not.

Yep. Zero thought into it, but boy wouldn't it be nice to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

79582nd apparently, which is decidedly not good, but not loving terrible either. I don't move on to the semifinals.

Put in Peterson hoping something would happen and it didn't, and Roethlisberger got his poo poo rocked and was out for a sizable chunk of game. Brown, Reed, and KC defense were the only players of mine to do much of note. Ah, well.

• Locked thread