Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This thread made me super excited for the football season until I realized that none of my friends care yet and now I'm just the maniac tryhard that's already begun with pre-season reading. Thanks, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Last thread I asked about daily fantasy and didn't get much response but that's okay, you guys are still alright. Is there a thread anywhere on the forums for DFS, even just general sports and not specifically NFL?

I've read around the internet as much as I could since then and the best resource as a complete novice has been this free ebook. I was super wary about a free Kindle book, especially with a title like that, but the author is the guy who does 4for4's DFS articles and the concepts in the book match everything I've read elsewhere. The main benefit I found with it is that it's all in one place rather than spread out over a bunch of articles online.

As I suspected, it seems like it plays out similarly to poker where the difference between casual and experienced players can come down to stuff outside the normal game, i.e. bankroll management, betting strategy, and game selection. My only worries are that some info I've learned are out of date, though I noticed the marketing for DFS ramp up a lot last year so I'm hoping to be ready for the big rush when next season starts. Are there any profitable players here? GPP or cash games? Has it been difficult to overcome the rake? Not looking to get rich or anything but it's a much better outlet for all of the time I spend on fantasy and allows me to have a better time playing casually in the season long league I have with friends.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I wish my league would switch to IDP because I want to have JJ Watt on my roster when they start using him to throw touchdowns instead of just catching them this year.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I love DMC because my league haaaaates him so he's always free. They buy in way too hard to the "injury prone" label. He filled in once for me during bye week hell or something and managed to throw a TD that game.

My gameplan is to fill an entire roster with players who are utilized in wildcat formation. Maybe I'll grab Dalton this year in case he makes any more retarded TD receptions.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

see also: Foster, Arian and Murray, Demarco

DMC is the most extreme example of it but my friends dismiss a lot of players because of their "risk." Not saying that DMC is a great RB choice but I've utilized him a few times because he's been a starting RB available on the wire in my league.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 13, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The trouble with the shallow bench is more than just being forced to move guys for bye weeks. IDP players get injured a lot; with just 5 slots, any injured guy in a non-LB slot you basically *have* to drop in order to keep a full team on the field. And that really sucks when you're dropping a guy who is only going to miss two weeks.

If you stick to five bench slots, I'd encourage you to add one or two injury slots too.

I agree about dumping FAAB. I'd like regular waivers, though: not everyone is up at midnight tuesday morning to jump on the latest standout guy.

Also: Chris Borland :negative:

I agree with this. I routinely had 1-2 star players injured that I did not want to drop because waiver wire replacements weren't enough and in most cases they would only miss short time. I also got hit with bye weeks, to the point where I'm pretty sure I did a week or two without a full roster in play. The IR position would be a big help.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Gyshall posted:

I'm actually working on an Effortpost OP for DFS, should have it up by the end of the week or so.

Thanks. I've been hoping one would pop up, but I haven't felt qualified to make one myself since this is the first year that I'm trying DFS. I've been reading up about it and will be dropping some of my weekly leagues to focus on dailies instead so I'll hopefully be active in there.

I know the Rotoworld guys are starting a DFS-focused podcast but are there any others that I should check out?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My league just switched to a keeper league for this upcoming season. I have started a new job and moved twice in the past two months so I've had zero time for general research, even less so for learning about rookies or how to change my FF strategy with keepers in mind. Our draft is later tonight.

I imagine that my draft will mainly go same as always, with the exception that my last few rounds can be used for fliers on potential keepers for next season. Anyone mind a short list of people I should look into or general tips for starting up a keeper league?

e:, more info

RVProfootballer posted:

How many keepers? What's the penalty each year? Can they be kept indefinitely?

2 keepers, 2 round penalty. Undrafted players count against 3rd to last draft pick. 3 years max for retaining them

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

How many keepers? What's the penalty each year? Can they be kept indefinitely?

2 keepers, 2 round penalty. Undrafted players count against 3rd to last draft pick. 3 years max for retaining them

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Jordy Nelson or Kelvin Benjamin could be worth a late round stash, especially if your league has an IR slot or largish benches. Otherwise, I wouldn't change too much from typical redraft. I would use that 3 year window as a tie breaker, though. I personally wouldn't hesitate to take Lacy and Bell ahead of Peterson and Charles and those two ahead of Lynch. Depending how you feel about Calvin, you might prefer AJ Green over him, as another example. I would likely take a late flier on Devante Parker or Breshad Perriman, whereas I wouldn't really bother with either in standard redraft.

Thanks. I'm not sure where the rules were pulled from but we're interpreting them as meaning you can't keep someone if the draft penalty can't be assessed. I.e. no keepers from first 2 rounds. I'm definitely going to see if I can snag Jordy Nelson but I'm not sure where to value that at since I don't know the extent of his injury. Parker and Perriman are the other two names I've seen on the last page or two. Looks like it'll mostly be a typical redraft strategy for me so that helps.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Just switched to a keeper league this year. Everybody forgot about Jordy Nelson. I drafted 9/10 so I believe I have 2nd waiver slot for week 1 and can grab him, who do I drop:

Darren Sproles
Owen Daniels
Stevie Johnson

.5 PPR, mostly standard elsewise. We've got an IR slot but I'll also be holding on to Perriman already

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Someone please give me a two sentence summary of Stevie Johnson and why I've been seeing him mentioned so much here. I picked him up in the 15th round. Are my friends more clueless than I am? I used beer sheets so I imagine he must have been valued fairly low there as well if I got him that late.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have a good site for Vegas lines? I'd like something that has concise information, preferably with columns that sort so I can look at who has the biggest spread or o/u.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Dear Fantasy Football,

Thank you for reminding me that most of the choices I make in life are the wrong one.

My team does not give me confidence after week 1. Luckily for me, I'll probably be lowest score and get first pick at waivers due to our reverse standing setting. What are some recommended moves?

My team:
QB: Peyton, Romo
RB: Lynch, Gore, Abdullah, Randle
WR: OBJ, A. Johnson, S. Johnson, Boldin, Perriman
TE: Olsen, Daniels

I figure I can target Beasley or Moncrief, and can drop Owen Daniels for it, but don't know what the best move is. I feel like I need the WR help because Abdullah/Randle can be bumped up and I will need a new flex. I am more confident in them than I am of AJ80 who I am not sure what to do with at the moment, and a real WR2 would be a big help.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

#1 waiver spot, .5 PPR first year keeper league

My team:
QB: Peyton, Romo
RB: Lynch, Gore, Abdullah, Randle
WR: OBJ, A. Johnson, S. Johnson, Boldin, Perriman, Jordy
TE: Olsen, Daniels

Available on the wire:
James Jones
Donte Moncrief
Pierre Garcon
Cole Beasley
Marcus Mariota

Jones can probably get me decent flex points in the short term while I wait to see what Perriman offers. I threw Mariota in there because he would be a 12th rd keeper next year (Jordy is already my 13th) and may be worth considering given my QB situation, though I can probably grab him next week or later and am not sure if it'd be worth keeping him over someone like Abdullah as my 6th.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

To me, it looks like Jones might help you the most this year, but if you're making a play for the future, I'd take Moncreif or Beasley who should be productive in their own right

Forever_Peace posted:

Abdullah/Randle/Stevie is probably the better flex than Jones. Keeper league I'd go Daniels for Moncrief.

edit: ^^^ :hf:

Thanks. I'm going to have a whole slew of new decisions to make once keeper time comes around. We only get two keepers, and so far I'm leaning Jordy/13th and Abdullah/6th. If Perriman turns out well then he can be kept for my 8th. Not sure if I'd keep Moncrief given the competition in my roster already but he'd go as my 12th round pick if I did.

Might stick to picking up Jones since he can help me now and I'm hopefully already set for next season.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

If Andre Johnson is as dead as he looks, it's at least a possibility Moncrief will be worth keeping even once Hilton is back. And you always might be able to package him with someone else in a trade to another team to upgrade one of your keepers and give the other team two worthwhile keepers, right? Even in the short term, unless you think Jones will beat out Adams and Moncrief won't displace Johnson, there's a good chance Moncrief will be better than Jones.

Great points. This is a friends league that has been going on for a few years but has only just now switched to keepers. We're slowly adjusting mindset so knowing his keeper value is a good thing to keep in my back pocket for potential trade bait at end of season. Thanks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Yeah dude, I dropped my kicker for Ahmad in ppr leagues pretty much as soon as I could.

I mentioned it here as my "bullshit move of the week". (tm pending)

Only droppable player I think I have is Anquan Boldin... worth it to go forward with that to pick up Bradshaw?

I'm already stashing a bunch of dead guys and all of IND (I have Gore, AJ80, and Moncrief) so I'm not sure if it's worth the gamble. I haven't followed the news, how likely is it that Ahmad gets picked up and is he in shape to jump right in to producing?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks. I think I need some sense talked into me to not overreact after my week 1 garbage fire score.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

It is not the same as Josh Gordon at all. People were not burning 1/2 round picks on Josh Gordon, you could still have a decent team with him stashed away. Dez is dead, time to panic.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I named my team Peyton's Corpse for week 2 but ultimately ended up sitting him for Romo because the Vegas lines were so much higher. I thought it was a bit odd to keep my team named after a player that I wasn't even starting, but I guess that's now come around full circle. Tony Romo's Corpse is now off to a solid 0-2 start with like half the points for compared to most other teams.

At least my kicker has been good. I get Matt Bryant every year. Dome life :krad:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I was not able to watch and analyze many of the games this weekend so I have a few questions:

-What happened to Mia DST against Jax? I thought I finally put myself in a position where I wouldn't need to burn waiver picks to stream defenses but that backfired this week. Any injuries or things to note beyond "fantasy sucks guess better next time"?

-I own Andre Johnson and just picked up Moncrief. AJ was crap again and I'm not certain if TY is making his injuries worse or how Moncrief will fit in moving forward. Good idea to bump him up to my flex spot in .5 ppr? My flex is currently a choice between Randle, Gore, Boldin, and Abdullah.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

At this point, my only hope is that my opponent can score enough points that my terrible decisions wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I have #1 waiver priority (reverse standings reset each week) so it is not a waste to blow my pick on anyone. I'm a Lynch owner, should I bother handcuffing with Rawls? Only other considerations are Rishard Matthews and a new DST (currently had Miami since week 1).

Aside from Lynch, my RBs are Gore, Abdullah, Randle, and Karlos. My WRs are OBJ, Stevie, Moncrief, Boldin, AJ80. I'd most likely drop Andre Johnson for this pickup. I can't look up much fantasy info while at work so I don't really know the extent of damage to Lynch and if this is a one-week fill in or something longer. I don't think I'd play Rawls this week but he'd maybe work his way in if it was a long term handcuff situation. Miami has been garbage so I don't know if I want Matthews.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My team is a goddamn graveyard

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm beginning to seriously wonder if I will actually win a single game this season. :smith:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

What's the outlook on Abdullah? I didn't get to catch the game at all but I see from the score sheet that it was a travesty. I have him in a 10 man .5 PPR keeper league, where he'd be retained next year for a 6th round pick. I am 0-5 so I need to make some moves and don't know where he fits in to current short and long term plans.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I am the perpetual #1 waiver spot (thank you reverse standings!) so I grabbed Charmander this week. I'm thinking I'll turn around and flip him for a QB since I really need the help there due to Peyton.

Who should I set my sights on? The JC owner has Ryan and Cam so I think I'll start there. It's 10 man .5 ppr keeper

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

JC owner in my league shot down my trade of Charmander for one of his extra QBs because I "just picked him up," as if the value of a player rests solely on the fact that they were on waivers and has nothing to do with him being 1000% more useful than he was a week ago :rolleyes:

Whatever, dude. Have fun with Jonathan Stewart as your RB2

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I, for one, am excited for the 20 points that Matt Bryant is going to kick for me tonight.

He's going to be my highest scorer.... again :smith:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Freeman also got like 10 points in garbage time when he got like three checkdowns in a row and an eventual touchdown. I'm not really sure what they were going for with <2 min and down by 17 but I guess it made some fantasy owners happy (or pissed)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

T Bowl posted:

They were trying not to turn the ball over because there were literally no open passes down the field... time was an issue sure, but you lose the ball and the game is over.

Well I get that, I mean that I don't know why they were still pushing it when they were down 3 scores with <2 min. I guess they're just optimistic that they could get two touchdowns, two successful onside kicks, and a fieldgoal in only a handful of plays with no timeouts. My point was that the game already was over.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You also can't just give up. It kills morale and even the slimmest chances of winning must be taken.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000294579/Week-14-Browns-vs-Patriots-highlights

close to 3 minutes, a timeout, and down 12. Totally, go for it.

When 2 touchdowns both with 2 pt conversions isn't enough, and the 2 minute warning has passed, I think the goose is cooked. 2 TDs and a field goal without any clock stoppage is rough, and I feel like statistically you're much more likely to get a player injured than win that game. Maybe that's why I'm not a head coach though.

Anyway, to bring this back to fantasy discussion. Does Abdullah hold any value in a keeper league? The Maclin owner in my league has literally every WR on his roster with a week 9 bye so I'm trying to work that into a deal.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Doltos posted:

I feel like it's a crime to cut Peyton Manning since he's the best QB of all time but I want to cut Peyton Manning so god damned bad.

At the beginning of the season my friend asked if we could change the scoring to -6 for pick sixes and I said sure because who the gently caress cares right? How the gently caress does Peyton throw a pick six every god damned week?

Peyton Manning is undroppable and is now a cancer to my team that I can't get rid of.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I need a QB to cover Peyton for his bye the rest of the season. In my 1 QB league where everybody rosters a backup anyway, these are some of my options:

Stafford
Smith
Kaep
Fitzpatrick
Hoyer
McCown

Standard scoring. How should I rank these considering ROS?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

The Aguamoose posted:

I am 6-0 and so am beginning to plan ahead for playoffs (which are weeks 15-17 in my league which I know is dumb and argued unsuccessfully to change). Anyone else in the same situation, and if so who are you targeting?

On the opposite end of this, I am 0-6 and beginning to plan ahead for next year (in a first year keeper league). I am going to look through my league's draft/waiver results to see who the best values are as I'm currently planning to keep Jordy Nelson as a 13th but get one more. I'm thinking that I can blow up my team for the best breakout players plus some future prospects, but how does trading draft picks typically work? Do you have to balance out picks given/received so that nobody ends up with too many players? e.g. OBJ + 15th round pick for Amari Cooper + 3rd (no clue what actual value is, this is just an example). Is this a feature built in to ESPN or how do people manage that?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Didn't have it answered a few pages ago, but how is trading draft picks handled in ESPN? I read that it's a setting that needs to be enabled but I don't see it in my league rules (I"m not commish). Do you have to trade an even number of picks so that each player still drafts the same number of people? Or does it just get rid of your later picks in favor of earlier ones?

How do I determine value of draft picks when blowing up my 0-6 team? I want to set myself up for next year without making people pissed that certain people got some of my good players.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

There is a commish option to enable it. You might have to set the league as a keeper league?

And yes, you always have to exchange an equal number of picks.

Example: You want to trade LeVeon Bell for a first round pick next year. You'd send Bell and your last round pick for next year, and you'd receive a first round pick for next year.

Gotcha, thanks. My friends and I have played together for a few years but just switched to a keeper league this season. I imagine that the setting must not be enabled because I don't see anything about draft picks when I propose a trade to anyone.

e: quick googling seems to suggest that maybe draft picks can't be traded mid-season? Would we have to keep a log separately and then manually adjust things before next draft? This is on ESPN

Teeter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 23, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

this is DFS but, if gates can't go, I'll fire up green and spend the extra 400 bucks on upgrades elsewhere.

Was just thinking the same thing. I'm so glad Draftkings allows late switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My team is 0-7. My league uses some dumb divisional structure, and has twelve regular season games with two rounds of two-week playoff matchups for the top four teams. All of this basically means that I am mathematically eliminated from playoffs this year already, but at least it's our first go at a keeper league so I can start planning for next season.

What players do you guys like the most in 10 team .5 PPR standard when keeper value for next year is added in?

Todd Gurley – 2nd round
Amari Cooper – 3rd round
Allen Robinson – 5th round
Ameer Abdullah – 6th round
Devonta Freeman – 7th round
Jordy Nelson – 14th round

e: I bolded the players I currently own. Others I would need to target in trades, but at this point I am happy to blow up my team and dangle players like OBJ and Lynch out there to secure a better position for next year.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread