Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what things do u program with?
i use vi/m
i use emacs
i use xcode
i use textwrangular
i use notepad
i use microsoft word
i use ur mom...haha
i use borland c++
i use max/msp
i use unreal engine 4
View Results

• Locked thread
Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I use this plug in for day to day programming: https://github.com/carlhuda/janus

It's great so that when I work from home, I just ssh to my work box and I can use my native editor from the terminal. Most of my "coding" is automation (ruby or python) so it works quite well for that. I used aptana studio for a few really massive projects. It was pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks stupid

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I mean, if you're going to learn a command line text editor, learn vi ffs. It's more likely than anything else to be installed on random production hosts that you can't just go installing new poo poo on.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I use whatever causes the op to stop posting

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

vim is great if you're a CJ and only need a single file open at any given time

otherwise it's a very nice text editor but anyone who brags about how small their Vim RC is while also being a programmer is not a productive programmer. well, probably.

correct, because a programmer uses an IDE

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kwinkles posted:

gvim has good verilog syntax highlighting, suits my needs

I've found the indenting to be offensively bad. using words like "if" in a comment basically breaks the poo poo out of your indentation. garbage.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just one of the many ways in which verilog is terrible

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

vim is great if you're a CJ and only need a single file open at any given time

otherwise it's a very nice text editor but anyone who brags about how small their Vim RC is while also being a programmer is not a productive programmer. well, probably.

ehhh I don't really see it

it takes some time but you can be pretty fast at jumping around buffers

also that one ctrl+p/command-t plugin

sometimes I maximize and split the window if I really need both things open, usually for a diff

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I also open multiple windows for different projects, separating my focus around multiple desktops

IDEs are great tools for debugging and to fish out some handy information about the context you're working in, but I feel much more comfortable jumping around files on vim

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i use vim for everything because i am a fat sperg retard, but also one that does a lot of config editing on remote servers and all sorts of crap. vi is really the only thing guaranteed to be installed on it

so basically, if you dont use vim for actual work, it's fine (lol u babby), but at least learn the basics of it in order to get stuff done, even though its cunterintuitive and a pain in the rear end. its not for everyone, but at least know the basics, ie the two main modes, i, I, a, A, u, R, and u dont ever have to think about it again

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I use this plug in for day to day programming: https://github.com/carlhuda/janus

It's great so that when I work from home, I just ssh to my work box and I can use my native editor from the terminal. Most of my "coding" is automation (ruby or python) so it works quite well for that. I used aptana studio for a few really massive projects. It was pretty nice.

um, why not just use emacs so you can use your native editor on your client machine to edit files remotely?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
that way it's blazing fast and has full editor support, and the only slowdown is when you have to send saves over the wire

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Another downside of vim is that I'm constantly trying to jump around like chat boxes and poo poo with jklh

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

horse mans posted:

um, why not just use emacs so you can use your native editor on your client machine to edit files remotely?

Why bother remembering how to use emacs and vi/m when emacs won't be installed on production servers I need to edit regularly? Just learn the one more likely to be installed.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
horse mans i like your new avatar

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Why bother remembering how to use emacs and vi/m when emacs won't be installed on production servers I need to edit regularly? Just learn the one more likely to be installed.

:agreed: . it is very typical of the open source community that they pick a 45 year old text editor that functions completely differently than anything invented in the last 20-25 years and include it with every distro as the sole / primary editor. im someone who writes software / shell script and deals with linux server configuration for a living (i wish i was dead) so i pretty much have to use it (and have grown to love it) but it sucks.

you just gotta learn the basics and then use whatever you want

but also, emacs sucks, and i am going to open the usual can of worms and say that emacs is a prime example of what happens when you continue to add "features" at the expense of functionality.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

horse mans i like your new avatar

:agreed: it is p. dank

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
started out on vim until roommate showed me nano. proest roommate.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nano loving owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

that feel when you connect to a server that doesnt have nano installed :smith:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nothing has nano installed because its a pos for shaggers and non technical women/children

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

pram posted:

nothing has nano installed because its a pos for shaggers and non technical women/children

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

nano is too functional for a Linux user so they cant have it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the save command doesn't involve 10 steps and 30 keys its not a good editor for Linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
telnet, OP.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

if the save command doesn't involve 10 steps and 30 keys its not a good editor for Linux

:x saves and exits in vim. thats 1 step, 2 chars. less than nano. checkmate, touchdown

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what mode do you have to be in and how many config files do you need to edit to make that work

pram
Jun 10, 2001
teh shaggemeister

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

I've found the indenting to be offensively bad. using words like "if" in a comment basically breaks the poo poo out of your indentation. garbage.

lol @ commenting your bit banging

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i use notepad++ on windows

same but I'm thinking of switching to sublime text maybe. or maybe even intelli j or eclipse. idk.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sublime is epic ownage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i unironically agree with shagger on this issue.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a subtle hint your opinion is wrong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

a subtle hint your opinion is wrong

his opinions on cyclists are spot on... every thing else, eh.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger is sometimes right for the wrong reasons, but is usually wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger is a transparent contrarian troll, he only defends stuff thats obviously bad as a joke. like windows, wpf, xaml, java, nano, etc.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger is the greatest poster itf and i want to make sweet love to him along with smythe in a yospos goonmeet orgy :q:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i use emacs, the world's most advanced operation system, op.

i actually got a bug in css-mode fixed the other day by filing a bug report.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
shagger is a beta as gently caress no offense dude

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gargle chome posted:

shagger is a beta as gently caress no offense dude

shagger won the YOSPOS Flame War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002