Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what things do u program with?
i use vi/m
i use emacs
i use xcode
i use textwrangular
i use notepad
i use microsoft word
i use ur mom...haha
i use borland c++
i use max/msp
i use unreal engine 4
View Results

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

every yospos competition is a beta test

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kwinkles posted:

lol @ commenting your bit banging

lol indeed

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pram posted:

shagger is a transparent contrarian troll

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

lol indeed

actually i put lots of comments. what version of gvim are you using that it can't handle verilog w/comments? i feel like my gvim is old as balls because it is whatever the work shell has, with a slate theme.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
all i do at work is verilog, system verilog, vhdl, c and perl. my gvim highlights all of those pretty ok. system verilog doesnt get all the keywords highlighted, but it is "ok".

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
are you guys actually seriously using nano? why not go full sperg and just use ed

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

horse mans posted:

are you guys actually seriously using nano? why not go full sperg and just use ed

or ee

also the votes are in, 2x as many ppl use vi as the second choic, op's mom, who i hear is quite randy

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
according to the movie, mark zuckerberg used emacs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

sublime is epic ownage

pram
Jun 10, 2001
narc fuckersperg

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kwinkles posted:

actually i put lots of comments. what version of gvim are you using that it can't handle verilog w/comments? i feel like my gvim is old as balls because it is whatever the work shell has, with a slate theme.

7.4.1 or something like that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just spent a while watching a coworker use emacs. it looked loving awful.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like. emacs is modeless? does it have no motions? wtf is that trash?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no autocomplete? why??

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

because its 30 year old garbage for retards

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so is vim but it has those extremely basic features

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i might have to start using vim soon. how do i get good with it? i know how to type and quit.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://vim-adventures.com/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

im pagancow

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol

i take as many shits as i can during the day just to escape the monotony, do you really think im going to learn how to shave off a couple of seconds by using some wicked emacs combos for ultra fast delivery of code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh whoops w/e

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

so is vim but it has those extremely basic features

lol vim does not have autocomplete

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vim has autocomplete plus really good plugins to make it super awesome

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
whats the name of the plugin that makes it usable?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

youcompleteme is loving ownage but a little touchy especially on windows

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
if vim doesn't suit your needs your needs suck and should be ignored

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

vim has autocomplete plus really good plugins to make it super awesome

yeah but we're talking built in poo poo. emacs has way better autocomplete plugins than vim does because emacs was designed to be extensible while vim is barely extensible.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there's no loving way vim has meaningful built in autocomplete because vim doesn't have any builtin concept of a project so how the hell would it know what to autocomplete against??

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh wait. it's because vim users have never worked on a project larger than a single file so in the mind of a vim user, stdlib autocomplete is autocompletion.

you dont need autocomplete to help you remember standard lib stuff. you need autocomplete to help you with the insane poo poo your coworkers have written.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
l love vim and i tried really hard to make it work for programming inside an actual codebase but if your codebase is larger than 100 files vim is going to be really frustrating

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

C-x C-o, C-n/C-p

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh wait. it's because vim users have never worked on a project larger than a single file so in the mind of a vim user, stdlib autocomplete is autocompletion.

you dont need autocomplete to help you remember standard lib stuff. you need autocomplete to help you with the insane poo poo your coworkers have written.

look at this, look at how far youve come. last year you were a colorist on MegaMansion Gardens of the RIch and Armenian, and now you're working ENterprise Linux and belittling people based on their choice of text editor. fantastic. amazing. impressive. chumpchouse is my idol. TOTAL SINCERITY

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol vim does not have autocomplete

what is ctrl-n

do you even use more than one buffer

vim is overrated garbage that you shouldn't invest your precious life time to learn it but lol at chumpchous treating it like it's notepad on the terminal

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

look at this, look at how far youve come. last year you were a colorist on MegaMansion Gardens of the RIch and Armenian, and now you're working ENterprise Linux and belittling people based on their choice of text editor. fantastic. amazing. impressive. chumpchouse is my idol. TOTAL SINCERITY

same

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Bloody posted:

just spent a while watching a coworker use emacs. it looked loving awful.

i watched one guy use a complex piece of software for five minutes and it didn't immediately live up to my exacting expectations

Bloody posted:

no autocomplete? why??

emacs has autocomplete for literally every single kind of data in its core: it can autocomplete emacs lisp function names and variable names,

ssh hosts,

files, directories,

help functions, color themes, recently used commands, the clipboard,

in-code search results,

fonts,

and so on, and is insanely easy to extend for any language you could possibly need:

and even command line arguments

but sure, keep acting like you know anything about anything

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

trying to explain emacs to a vim user is like the sphere in flatland trying to explain 3 dimensions to a triangle; it's simply beyond their comprehension

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
this are some p. dank pix mr horse mans, but seem a bit misdirected... nobody itt has said that they think that vim is a good editor for a giant project

it is just a practical, elegant editor for small-to-medium projects, or editing configuration files. the only reason to use it is if you are a giant sperglord (me), or if you are dealing with configuration, scripting, etc on a bunch of different *nix machines; vi/m is the only thing guaranteed to be on any posix-compliant machine. for this, it is worth learning the very basics. most people hate it because it is confusing and does not follow the pattern of any known editor (or really anything for that matter, welcome to the loonix world).

if you need something a little more heavy duty or just absolutely loving have to have comic sans as ur font when you are editing, the emacs might be the right choice.

emacs is a giant, bloated corpse of an editor, but on the flip side, allows one to deal with pretty much any programming, scripting, etc need right out of the box. the problem seems to be that in the last few years, people have followed the emacs pipe dream and added exponentialy more "features" without improving functionality.

but then again hm, i can see why u use it if you spent so much time tricking it out.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

this are some p. dank pix mr horse mans, but seem a bit misdirected... nobody itt has said that they think that vim is a good editor for a giant project

it is just a practical, elegant editor for small-to-medium projects, or editing configuration files. the only reason to use it is if you are a giant sperglord (me), or if you are dealing with configuration, scripting, etc on a bunch of different *nix machines; vi/m is the only thing guaranteed to be on any posix-compliant machine. for this, it is worth learning the very basics. most people hate it because it is confusing and does not follow the pattern of any known editor (or really anything for that matter, welcome to the loonix world).

if you need something a little more heavy duty or just absolutely loving have to have comic sans as ur font when you are editing, the emacs might be the right choice.

emacs is a giant, bloated corpse of an editor, but on the flip side, allows one to deal with pretty much any programming, scripting, etc need right out of the box. the problem seems to be that in the last few years, people have followed the emacs pipe dream and added exponentialy more "features" without improving functionality.

but then again hm, i can see why u use it if you spent so much time tricking it out.

you're absolutely right, and in a lot of places it can afford to get so much better. the new package management system and being able to rely on good modern core libraries like dash, helm, etc, means that functionally all the new shiny stuff is well maintained and easy to improve and understand, and is more likely to make it into core (which happens more often than most people think)

it's the ent of software: it's taken 40 years to get to this point, and changes necessarily have to be slow and incremental because of the tens of millions of lines of elisp that sit on top of it all. you'll notice in the emacs thread in coc that we bandy about spacemacs, prelude, and all these emacs starter packs, because the default out of the box experience is garbage, and we all know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
get with the times

• Locked thread