Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what things do u program with?
i use vi/m
i use emacs
i use xcode
i use textwrangular
i use notepad
i use microsoft word
i use ur mom...haha
i use borland c++
i use max/msp
i use unreal engine 4
View Results

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

horse mans posted:

i watched one guy use a complex piece of software for five minutes and it didn't immediately live up to my exacting expectations

emacs has autocomplete for literally every single kind of data in its core: it can autocomplete emacs lisp function names and variable names,

ssh hosts,

files, directories,

help functions, color themes, recently used commands, the clipboard,

in-code search results,

fonts,

and so on, and is insanely easy to extend for any language you could possibly need:

and even command line arguments

but sure, keep acting like you know anything about anything

actually, it was at least two agonizing hours, which he spent holding down arrow keys and slooowly typing things out. he did such an advanced thing as record and use a macro. once. I guess good job having such an advanced piece of software that a guy who has used it for twenty years has determined that holding down arrow keys and typing each letter of everything by hand is the appropriate way to use it. rofl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i downloaded emacs for windows because of this thread

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Bloody posted:

actually, it was at least two agonizing hours, which he spent holding down arrow keys and slooowly typing things out. he did such an advanced thing as record and use a macro. once. I guess good job having such an advanced piece of software that a guy who has used it for twenty years has determined that holding down arrow keys and typing each letter of everything by hand is the appropriate way to use it. rofl.

lol i strongly recommend that emacs and its users be purged from this world, but you are a maroon if u think that it takes hours to type poo poo in it, or actualyl if anything is true in the post u just made. but either way, yes, emacs sux.

Awia posted:

i downloaded emacs for windows because of this thread

try vim if you really want a headache but the incredible joy of increased speed in editing once you figure out how to use it, as well as a certain smugness of being part of a club of spergs who live and die by vi/m.

at the end of the day this is like the coffee/tea argument; neither one is objectively better, it's just a preference

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

note that there is an exception to the coffee/tea problem mentioned above: rare steak is objectively better than any other way of cooking it :can:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Bloody posted:

the only thing more offensive than your ignorance is how readily you expound on things you don't understand

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am literally just sharing a story about pair programming with an emacs user and all the ways in which it is awful.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if he had used vim he'd prolly be doing the same thing

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i am the geron

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

if he had used vim he'd prolly be doing the same thing

yeah hes probably just an idiot using a tool wrong or poorly but w/e

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

all i know is that me on vim is vastly superior to him on emacs.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

this works on so many levels, 8/10

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

yeah hes probably just an idiot using a tool wrong or poorly but w/e

maybe he was just nervous to be in your presence

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

horse mans posted:

i watched one guy use a complex piece of software for five minutes and it didn't immediately live up to my exacting expectations

emacs has autocomplete for literally every single kind of data in its core: it can autocomplete emacs lisp function names and variable names,

ssh hosts,

files, directories,

help functions, color themes, recently used commands, the clipboard,

in-code search results,

fonts,

and so on, and is insanely easy to extend for any language you could possibly need:

and even command line arguments

but sure, keep acting like you know anything about anything

This is exactly why emacs sucks btw

pram
Jun 10, 2001
posted from my emacs browser

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

horse mans posted:

you're absolutely right, and in a lot of places it can afford to get so much better. the new package management system and being able to rely on good modern core libraries like dash, helm, etc, means that functionally all the new shiny stuff is well maintained and easy to improve and understand, and is more likely to make it into core (which happens more often than most people think)

it's the ent of software: it's taken 40 years to get to this point, and changes necessarily have to be slow and incremental because of the tens of millions of lines of elisp that sit on top of it all. you'll notice in the emacs thread in coc that we bandy about spacemacs, prelude, and all these emacs starter packs, because the default out of the box experience is garbage, and we all know it

how is spacemacs hor semen

i like vim but neovim is too far away

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Malcolm XML posted:

how is spacemacs hor semen

i like vim but neovim is too far away

spacemacs is good. if you like vim and want something better try spacemacs.

wizened emacs users wont like it because they already have their own emacs setup but if you're a new emacs user and you want emacs + vim + really good helm/projectile integration try spacemacs

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
vim 4 lyfe

(if only because of the hours I put in to my .vimrc)

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

bump to continue the deiscussion on this important issue

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gonna try again to switch to spacemacs so i dont get emacs pinky

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

emacs is a really neat piece of software which is incredibly let down by the refusal of the community to actually produce workable default configurations. emacs-starter-kit was a decent non-offensive default for a while, but then they apparently felt that it was a mistake to allow people to use emacs without learning elisp and collapsed it back down into something unusable

in fact, just read this unbelievable poo poo:

quote:

Older versions of the Starter Kit attempted to be one-size-fits-all codebase intended to be dropped into your ~/.emacs.d directory wholesale. While this proved very popular, taking a big bundle of unrelated functionality leads to simply adopting things without developing any real understanding. When something goes wrong or even just behaves differently from what you'd like, you don't know where to look to fix it.

I've since come to realize users are better suited by small, focused packages which provide specific pieces of new functionality. So rather than putting up in a big pile of code, the Starter Kit has shifted to become merely a guide. As an Emacs user, you're going to have to get comfortable seeking out new pieces of elisp, bringing them in, configuring them, and eventually writing your own. The Starter Kit can help this process by giving hints as to where to start and what to look for, but constructing a solid configuration is ultimately a personal journey for which you must take the first steps.

that is what is wrong with emacs right there

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
one thing that ticks me off about spacemacs is that it takes a good while to start up

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

emacs is a really neat piece of software which is incredibly let down by the refusal of the community to actually produce workable default configurations. emacs-starter-kit was a decent non-offensive default for a while, but then they apparently felt that it was a mistake to allow people to use emacs without learning elisp and collapsed it back down into something unusable

in fact, just read this unbelievable poo poo:

that is what is wrong with emacs right there

i've gone down that path too, i keep wanting to put together a nice decent out of box experience with minimal configuration

it's possible for emacs to be both sanely configured by default and allow people to get their hands dirty when they need to extend it

but most people are too focused on how they use emacs rather than finding a way to make it usable for everyone

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i took myself halfway through the evil tutor in spacemacs yesterday and i can't get over not resting my right hand on jkl; instead of hjkl
my brain :negative:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
no that sounds right. i keep index on J. unless im reading your post backwards (afternoon drunk)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i guess because hjkl are the movement keys i assumed i should keep fingers on them all the time

eh

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

i guess because hjkl are the movement keys i assumed i should keep fingers on them all the time

eh

No, don't do that.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
a coworker just linked me to this. i haven't watched it yet but he told me it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool 40 min video on editors let me just... click the .. play button..

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

cool 40 min video on editors let me just... click the .. play button..

NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

gonna try again to switch to spacemacs so i dont get emacs pinky
use your palm to hit left ctrl instead of your pinky

alternatively rebind it with autohotkey or emacs or something

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

compuserved posted:

a coworker just linked me to this. i haven't watched it yet but he told me it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc

this guy describes my experience of trying to use vim to work on a nactual code base exactly

you cant

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

use your palm to hit left ctrl instead of your pinky

alternatively rebind it with autohotkey or emacs or something

USB pedal actually

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

eh

why would you be arrowing around like a notepad user

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

USB pedal actually

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

USB pedal actually

for when you want to put the pedal close tothe metal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna see a guy with a flightsim setup using one of these
stupid fuckin note pad
on steroids things you guys care about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Church of Emacs
Main article: Editor war

Richard Stallman as St IGNUcius, a saint in the "Church of Emacs"
The "Church of Emacs", formed by Richard Stallman, is a parody religion created for Emacs users.[33] While it refers to vi as the "editor of the beast" (vi-vi-vi being 6-6-6 in Roman numerals), it does not oppose the use of vi; rather, it calls proprietary software anathema. ("Using a free version of vi is not a sin but a penance."[34]) The Church of Emacs has its own newsgroup, alt.religion.emacs,[35] that has posts purporting to support this parody religion. Supporters of vi have created an opposing "Cult of vi", argued by some Emacs users to be an attempt to "ape their betters".

Stallman has jokingly referred to himself as St IGNUcius, a saint in the Church of Emacs.[36]

Regarding vi's modal nature, some Emacs users joke that vi has two modes – "beep repeatedly" and "break everything". vi users enjoy joking that Emacs's key-sequences induce carpal tunnel syndrome, or mentioning one of many satirical expansions of the acronym EMACS, such as "Escape Meta Alt Control Shift" (a jab at Emacs's reliance on modifier keys).[37] As a poke at Emacs' extensive programmability, vi advocates have been known to describe Emacs as "a great operating system, lacking only a decent editor".

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

it is v sad to me that our Lord and Savior, Richard Manbreast Stallman, has decided to abandon the motto "it does one thing, and it does it well" and go for emacs, bloatware to a scale not seen since bonzai buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

[37] As a poke at Emacs' extensive programmability, vi advocates have been known to describe Emacs as "a great operating system, lacking only a decent editor".

I say this all the time at work

• Locked thread