Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I dunno why ya'll engage with wateroverfire and asdf32 who have been shown time and time again to be idiots wrt economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I warned ya'll last page.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

REMEMBER WHEN READING MY POSTS THAT I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING AT PEOPLE FOR DESCRIBING HOW HARD IT IS TO BE POOR IN THE USA, WHILE POSTING FROM A SCANDINAVIAN SOCIAL DEMOCRACY. ALSO, DON'T READ MY POSTS, I AM A MORON BUT TOO STUPID TO KNOW IT.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

down with slavery posted:

i'm sorry but whining about student loan debt just makes you seem self-interested and quite frankly, it's a pretty stable situation at the moment

i dont have student loan debt and i think the whole situation with it is mad hosed up. what now?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ahahahaha oh my god how have I never heard of this before.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I'm completely self-taught as a historian by Google and my local library, which is how I know that the Holocaust never happened.

"No I don't have an accredited degree but I did read open source textbooks which is just as good! Wait why are you throwing my resume away"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I became numerate and tbh have found that much more useful.

oh word?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

No you're calling it a subsidy because you've been indoctrinated into a market/business-centric outlook which you don't understand and wouldn't agree with if you did. Or you're propagandizing. But I'm not willing to give you that much credit.

Have you ever hosed a watermelon?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Is kindergarten a Wal-Mart subsidy?

I dunno, have you ever hosed a watermelon asdf? It's a simple yes or no

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

I think the fact that we provide education and possibly food to 5 year olds has nothing to do with corporate entity Wal-Mart whatsoever and it's bizarre to suggest that it does.

Let the record show that asdf32 still refuses to confirm or deny that he has, in fact, hosed a watermelon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm what happens when we decide we're not so ideologically committed to hating inequality that we have to assert everything is terrible unless people are economically equal..

Well I never. A very high level of human development indeed.

"yes the unadjusted data is very favorable to my viewpoint so i'll use that instead!"

e:

quote:

In the 2010 Human Development Report a further Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI) was introduced. While the simple HDI remains useful, it stated that "the IHDI is the actual level of human development (accounting for inequality)" and "the HDI can be viewed as an index of “potential” human development (or the maximum IHDI that could be achieved if there were no inequality)".[2]

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 7, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

RBC posted:

why are you people legitimately arguing with others whose position is literally "gently caress the poor" an d are linking to milton friedman hobbyist websites

Because asdf32 still refuses to deny that he has hosed a watermelon. Leading me to conclude that he has indeed, at some point in his life, hosed a watermelon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

$15 minimum wage isn't far off from that buddy in terms of dollars or percents.

Let today be forever noted as when asdf32 argued that the numbers 15 and 100 were pretty much the same thing.

asdf32 this may shock you but 100 is over 500% bigger than 15

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 8, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

You loving intellectual child.

:laffo: This is great coming from the dude that doesn't know how to do basic math.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

My values tell me it would be nice if carbon didn't cause global warming and politics is a human construct so I'm going to advocate policy based on my values.

tldr: "I want it"

Hey here's an easy one for you, an increase from 50 to 75 is:

A. A 50% increase
B. A 25% increase
C. A 33% increase

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 8, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

itt the regular morons demonstrate that the concept of a number line is beyond them

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

you don't see the irony in someone who basically lives on this forum posting something along the lines of "you don't know what it's like to be a minimum wage worker in america?"

you can't be this stupid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh no post counts, our arguments are instantly invalid!

curses foiled again

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its pretty impressive how strong of a play Geriatric Pirate is making for dumbest poster itt after asf32 revealed that he hasn't passed 5th grade math

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Just pointing out that "you don't know what it's like living on the minimum wage" kind of loses its impact when its coming from shutins who are making enough money on disability/from their parents/trading stocks online/from their jobs that they can afford to post all day and spend money buying pictures for their forum accounts

well apparently the cure for poverty is a SA forums account as no SA poster has ever been poor before or during posting here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Remember how you (or someone) said that a $100 minimum wage is completely different from a $15 minimum wage?

Well, 0.5 posts per day is completely different from 13 posts per day.

hey asdf32 here's a chance to earn some bonus points, how many percent larger is 13 from 0.5?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

I have done ~ 7 hours of volunteer work this week may I post

i'm sorry you haven't ground yourself into dust to elevate the poor, you may never post again

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

LET US ENGAGE IN HYPERBOLE TO TEST THE VALIDITY OF THIS PROPOSITION WITH A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT.

If the increase were to $50/hour would you expect a rise in general prices?

Let's engage in a different thought experiment. If wages stagnate while purchasing power decreases, is that not a pay cut?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You guys are ruining the reveal :mad:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes price inflation hurts the poor. More price inflation will hurt the poor more.

Current monetary policy isn't contributing much to inflation.

The price index increases a couple of a percent a year, while the minimum wage does not. Now I'm not an economist or even particularly good with math (better than asdf tho) but I would wager that the federal minimum wage has not kept up at all with the price index.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Right I should have anticipated this. After arguing that 15 is only 50% more than 10 the thread is going to shift to "But 2500% is no problem either".

Kudos on completing remedial percentages asdf!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Is there empirical evidence that the minimum wage increases demand? The difference between inflation caused by QE and inflation caused by the minimum wage, is the inflation from QE is temporary, and can be turned off once demand recovers and inflation rebounds.

Nah poor people just burn any money they feel is extra, that's why they're poor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The pro-$15 minimum wage people seemed to be crying for a citation that minimum wage will either lower employment or raise prices which are just as obvious.

But yes, a citation that minimum wage workers have a high MPC relative to other groups that could be helped. Not poor people in general, minimum wage workers. Maybe in addition to that, something showing how the increase in demand for minimum wage workers will offset the decrease in demand for unemployed people or other people hurt by inflation.

hahahahaha how are you even stupider than the guy that didn't understand how percent changes worked until yesterday

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I open the thread up each day thinking 'surely yesterday was the it, they can't top their stupidity today' and lo and behold GP goes and proves that he's never even walked into a Econ class at any time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why do you hate the poor so much?

because unlike you I've taken an Econ 101 class where if even Von Mises himself taught it, would take that increasing the wealth of the bottom class of people would increase demand, as something so self-evident that it doesn't even need to be taught

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so we can add economy of scale to the big ol' list of poo poo you don't know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Which I guess is why you support a policy that lowers the real wealth of the "bottom class of people"

No that's not what we're arguing now, we're arguing your complete incompetence when it comes to basic economic concepts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

Overall, the extra costs attributable to higher prices equaled 0.63% of the nondurable goods purchased by the poorest fifth of families and 0.52% of the goods purchased by the top fifth—with the percentage falling as the income level rose.

Oh no 3/4 quarters of one percent increase in costs! However will the poor survive this dramatic increase in prices while having their before tax pay doubled?!?!?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

GP you should just stop now, you're approaching jrodfeld levels of sheer stupidity and I don't think the universe can handle two of you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The fact that the Scandinavian countries can still produce people like GP is pretty good argument against making the U.S. more like them tbh.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Are you now lamenting that we banned child labor a century ago?

"Get that infant off the tit, if you don't have 325 million people working, America has failed!"

Why do you hate poor people so much that you won't let them need to send their children to work in coal mines to earn money you loving intellectual child

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

GP confirm/deny that the following is a pic of you irl

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

GP please answer my question

Raskolnikov38 posted:

GP confirm/deny that the following is a pic of you irl

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Your an idiot.

I've been saying that for pages, dunno why y'all engaged him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

So in your mind, paying people less than a living wage and forcing them onto food stamps is equivalent to having public roads?

Well if GP has actually been arguing for full communism this whole time (albeit in the dumbest way possible) then all is forgiven. If the government provides unlimited free food, housing and etc. there'd be no reason to have a minimum wage at all!

• Locked thread