Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who do people think work at McDonalds during school hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you went to the lawless frontiers, like the deep ocean, or Amazon or the deep sahara, you would find wild businesses competing in nature without the inefficient hand of government interfering.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Businesses: creations of law, but should they be bound by law?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a libertarian should not be pro child labor as children lack the capacity to contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Confiscating the estate of the rich and distributing the proceeds to the poor would be a more optimal solution, yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

If your goal is economic and social collapse, sure.

I dont follow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Of course you don't. Think about how you'd have to go about doing that.

You'd literally be better off printing stacks of cash and giving it to poor people under the flimsiest of excuses than trying to expropriate the owners of existing wealth.

I think it would be good policy and a warning to all: Don't get super rich you fucker or we take it all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the richest 16,000 families own 16 trillion. If we nationalise their estates and distribute them to the poorest 30,000,000 million americans, we can give each person over like $500,000.000 which should be enough to go to school, but a house, etc. It would do wonders for the economy too.

Way better than raising the minimum wage, good point ASDF.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I guess that we could send poor people 500,000 each but then we would still have ultra rich people which is a problem you are not addressing. My plan is perfect in that it addresses both problems.

Or we could just raise the minimum wage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Capitalism is great at providing choice, which is something people value a lot.

look at all that choice poor people have.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Which is, actually, quite a lot when you consider it.

They can not go many colleges and not have all kinds of healthcare. Stupdendous. Look at all the cars they cant afford.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Medicaid!!! Ha hah HAAAA!

It's also 20-25 years of IBR repayments.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

Paying a token amount toward the cost of your education before getting the rest written off by the government - true injustice.

you pay income tax on that write off. No one has gotten there yet though. I suspect in 15 years when the first people get there it will be changed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"you poor people would not be poor if you got an education and a good paying job" - Poster wateroverfire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bizarro world = the rest of the developed world. How bizarre.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

oh god won't someone think of the poor lawyers

student loan debt is pretty low on the list of real problems we have in this country and it's really immature to bring it up in a discussion about the minimum wage

its actually a huge problem, just not a huge problem for poor people I guess. its a reall problem though because it is a huge drag on the economy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

believe it or not there are some things that are more important to deal with than your student loan debt

i'm not saying it isn't real, just that ensuring a living wage is provided for working americans is much more important, alongside a host of other issues

i'm sorry but whining about student loan debt just makes you seem self-interested and quite frankly, it's a pretty stable situation at the moment

You're wrong but this is not the student loand thread so ok

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Post Count
Post Rate
13.19 per day

pretty good ROI for your parents there

:iceburn:

Please exit the forums Effectronica.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

before receiving any social benefit, a citizen must provide a business plan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes the disabled should be denied internet access. What is the ROI on that? Maybe we should make all keyboards require like 20 pounds per square innch of pressure so the disabled cant use them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the point of the economy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you know what else would incentivize poor people? Debtor's prisons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving disabled people living high on the hog with their google searches and free email. Are we properly incentivizing disabled people from getting rid of their disabilities?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We ready have bankruptcy for student loans it's called IBr

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

asdf32 posted:

I think this is a good source though I'm not positive. I'm also not positive that sharply dividing on the poverty rate is ideal. Though certainly it's iseful to relate spending to the number of poor people.

http://federalsafetynet.com/poverty-and-spending-over-the-years.html

Omg your source is so hilarious

They are including medicaid hahahah!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

asdf32 posted:

I looked and didn't think they did but certainly healthcare should be considered in general.

Why.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Small businesses will benefit tremendously from $15 an hour.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People having more money helps small businesses. Who do you think buys the services of small businesses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I can't imagine what a person making min wage would think on this topic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Probably depends on whether they're one of the minimum wage workers who will see their wages increase or one of the minimum wage workers who gets fired

You are so dumb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have done ~ 7 hours of volunteer work this week may I post

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

How you can pay for food without working:

You are retired and live on a pension or savings and social security.
You are disabled and receive Social Security Disability Insurance.
You are unemployed and collecting TANF benefits.

Also minimum wage laws wouldn't affect the wages paid to undocumented immigrants or people employed in the underground economy, and these people would still be harmed by price inflation.

You have to eventually work for tanf and you must have worked in the past to get ssdi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean you also have to have kids to get Tanf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No those poor workers will probably not spend that money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

We agree that there currently exist poor people who benefit from these programs, right? Those people will be harmed by price inflation, and therefore by a significant minimum wage increase.

You don't need to have ever worked to get ssdi, you're thinking of ssi.

No it's ssdi you need to work for.

Do you have any evidence inflation would equal or exceed the value of increasing wages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If we pay people 0 per hour it follows that prices for staple items will plummet thereby making their lives better

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If employers had no labor wages just imagine how much they could lower prices.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People on ssdi and tanf still work. You have to work wrt to tanf. Ssdi people can earn around 1000 a month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I support legislation where poor people must pay small businesses so that prices may be lowered thereby increase the income of poor people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Retired people and unemployed people both have cost of living increases built into their revenue

IHTH

• Locked thread