Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ok ok, let's back up a bit. Needing the essentia in jars was news to me so i'm putting together an alchemical furnace and alembic rig to handle that but once I have it all in jars, where do the jars go? On pedestals? On arcane stone blocks anywhere inside the altar radius? Do they need to be symmetric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks, Rocko. Two days later I managed to make my thaumium-capped silverwood wand. The gold/greatwood one couldn't store QUITE enough vis so I had to make thaumaturge clothes to go with my goggles for enough vis discounts to push it through. How's piping essentia out of the alembics work in 4.2? Do I need a buffer over each jar? I wound up just right clicking alembics with jars/phials.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I've been playing "The 1.7.10 pack" which is a kitchen sink pack for.... 1.7.10. Notably missing IMHO is Cooking For Blockheads, but I have been having a blast with Flan's Mod stuff. Guns and airplanes and jeeps and tanks oh my. Most of it is more "for fun" than genuinely useful, although wisps that were pretty good at dodging my arrows or jetpack-scythe attacks aren't so good at dodging Barrett .50 BMG rounds. In the early game before electric bows that OHKO most anything are readily available, the Remington 870's pretty good as well. I'd long wanted guns and more vehicles than minecarts/boats and Flan's delivers, although yeah most of it is of very questionable usefulness.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ariong posted:

I'm starting Tekkit Legends back up with only my hazy 4-year old Tekkit memories to go on. I thought that I could just hook a wooden pipe up to a chest and connect that to a macerator with cobblestone pipes, but that makes ores go flying all over the place. I need a solution to this problem, but more importantly, I was wondering if there was a good set of first-time guides with the various core mods. Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, Equivalent Exchange, etc.

Wooden pipes from buildcraft need an engine to pump em. A redstone engine works.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Are there any goon servers for the modpack "the 1.7.10 pack" ?
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1710-pack.453902

It has pretty much everything I'm looking for. The only thing I'd probably add is draconic evolution.

I don't think so but I recently (currently?) was playing through that and couldn't figure out the galacticraft quests in the HQM book. For killing alien villagers it never seemed to register any no matter how many of those moon-dwelling bastards I murdered, and similarly the cheese quest requires you to have 64 cheese blocks in your inventory. Cheese blocks don't stack, they're like cakes, so I have no idea how I could have 64 in my inventory at once and access the book. I tried filling chests/bags etc with the requisite cheese blocks, no dice.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Oh wow, each one of those tips is really useful for a Skyblock! What a useful machine.

Tinker's Construct is a great mod across the board. The build-tools-with-parts thing has all sorts of cool applications and bits where it can help you get just a little bit further on materials/tech progression. It's really important for Blightfall, but even outside of that has some amazing uses. One of my favorite little ways you can leverage tiCon; before you have a smeltery (and thus the means to cast fancy tool parts of metal) you can still get mileage out of building a tool forge. A flint-headed hammer isn't great, but it's certainly better than no hammer at all, which is your previous option. In most techpack mods you'll have a means of getting steel that won't be too difficult; often it's a machine processing iron or iron + coal. Steel makes badass tool/weapon heads well before you can easily afford top end materials like cobalt or manullyn. Other fun cross-mod TiCon materials: Thaumcraft's Thaumium makes a drat fine handle for anything and everything, and Extra Utilities' Magical Wood (made with enchanted books, gold and bookshelves, so it's not cheap) makes a good anything-but-a-tool-head (thaumium's still a better handle.)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So show of hands, how many of y'all crazy people don't build walls or moats or whatever around your bases? Half the screenshots I see are just like a field with stuff in it.

I have multiple walls and comprehensive lighting. It's fort knox up in my house. 4 block high with an overhang to keep out spiders.

/gamerule mobGriefing false

I used to play with it on and live in fortresses like you describe but there's no real challenge to it, it's just an added hassle. I'm here to build cool machines, not make sure they're all suicide-bomber proof.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

When I first started playing minecraft and didn't understand how spawning mechanics work, I would start every day by fighting the spider that'd spawn on my roof during the night. Instead of properly lighting my roof, which I didn't know was a thing, I tamed wolves and cats to help me fight the morningspider.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

e: or processing them before they ever hit your ae system

This one's what I recommend. Have all your quarry/laser drill/etc inputs come into a single Ender Chest or if you just gotta use Tesseracts, one of those. All the poo poo that comes in gets sorted into various storage and processing machines with filters, and all the processed stuff (ingots, diamonds, etc) goes into the AE system. For the rare poo poo that actually needs dusts I'm willing to ship ingots to a pulverizer and get the dust.

Another good trick is to set up a buncha various machines you can manually input poo poo into but that will output into your AE system. Know you're gonna need a buncha silver dust for Enderium down the line? Drop a few stacks of silver ingots into the chest feeding a pulverizer whose outputs all go back into the same "all outputs into the ME" itemduct system.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Devor posted:

Blood Magic always intimidated me, so I guess I'll give it a shot for real. I was trying to resist it!

I only recently bothered loving with Blood Magic in a kitchen sink megapack after similarly ignoring it due to the hassle of getting started. In a pack with dozens of "ultimate" armor options, the Blood Magic option still wound up a clear winner, and notably doesn't require the final level of altar. I do advise sticking with the penultimate altar, however, as getting the final level is a huge investment for low utility/payoff.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

it's like trying to get housing or a job; the "wrong" answers mean you don't get anything

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

So that's what, 3 months since we last had a keepinventory fight? For me it depends on the modpack, some are pretty fair and I'm ok with risking my gear. Some have bullshit I'm not willing to put up with. I really don't care who draws the line where for their own funtime playing a videogame.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Whalley posted:

I've been ignoring Astral Sorcery because I thought it was another Roots-style "here's a magic mod where by the time you have the resources to move forward it's super underpowered" mod. Oops.

I've now got a wither cage made out of wooden planks that's entirely indestructible, can get about 80 buckets of lava from 12 magma blocks, can quarry by myself, have a stupidly easy way of tripling most ores and have to stay away from animals and crops because walking near them causes breeding and growth to an insane level. I also filled an upgraded storage drawer with sand in like four hours. I haven't even tried out my first ritual, or making the thing that can give me Fortune VI. This mod's insanely cool, why didn't anyone tell me?

What's a mod you finally got around to that is actually really really loving cool, but you never gave it the time of day?

Back in 1.7.10, Blood Magic. Avoided it like the plague cuz it's complicated, doesn't share resources with much else so you don't get a lot of bootstrapping up the chain, but holy poo poo the blood armor's really really good once you can make it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Which 1.12.2 mod should I count on for getting light blocks? It looks like I found one for magnum torches, but now I need generic, colored, pain, lit blocks.

I tried Blood Magic in Blightfall formally last time I tried that pack. It wasn't as bad as I thought for at least doing what the pack asks of it, but it seemed absolutely grindtastic to keep upgrading the altar.

You can make the altar grind itself by the point it's actually requiring effort to get arbitrary blood points. I just made a sealed room full of cursed ground atop a Well of Infinite Sorrow. Then it turned out that was creating a mob singularity inside so I put MFR grinders around the thing to keep the population inside reasonable.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty telling of the mod that every single time I see a solution to the ridiculous blood requirements it has, the answer given is "use these blocks from another mod that interact in an unintended way". You're SoL if the pack doesn't have cursed earth!

Okay, that's not entirely fair. You could use MFR (or whatever it's called these days) safari nets to manually spawn and sacrifice villagers, or capture a bunch of witches in a well of suffering who'll keep regenerating themselves fast enough to never die.
But those are the only three solutions I really ever see, and they all rely on other mods. That's not really proof that it isn't a grind.

If you really HAD to you could do a pure vanilla mob farm to feed the Well of Sorrow. It'd just take up way more space. And be more hassle than using MFR spawners or cursed earth or or or

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Depends posted:

Any pack with the ability to move spawners makes it even easier.

Ahhh, the good old Diamond Dolly

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The best part of any GregTech modpack is finding a way to actually break it open like that. gently caress you, Greg, behold a base run on the power of FISH OIL cuz you NERFED EVERYTHING ELSE.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

AceClown posted:

Without using UU Matter is there any known way of converting RF to EMC? I'm at the stage in Stoneblock where I have a poo poo ton of power but I need catalysts for the endgame Avarita stuff.

I have the usual emerald farms with the watch of flowing time and a couple of MK3 power flowers but it seems a shame that I have disgusting amounts of RF I'm not really doing anything with.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question properly but can't you use all that RF to produce stuff that's worth EMC? Like, run a MFR laser drill and just convert the products to EMC?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they come to snuff the rooster

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I'm so spoiled my MFR I can't imagine wanting for Ender Pearls. Just grab an enderman in a net to reprocess in eternal rebirth/slaughter in an evil machine fueled by cows.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Always MFR if it's in the pack. Build your empire out of trees, crops, animals and mob spawners/grinders! A MFR planter/harvester set up with a tree farm that burns all the wood into charcoal for steam dynamos is my go-to pre-nuclear mass power installation. Endless apples to eat or process is just a bonus.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

In general I agree about IC2 and its faults but still can't help but love it in a way. It can do some powerful things, but there's also a legit chance you blow up your base if you screw something up with it. There's potential costs/consequences for mistakes in IC2 that are as terrifying as making similar mistakes with a Wither. IC2 has been willing to kill me or strip me of significant wealth in ways the Ender Dragon and Wither just can't match. In a way it's the true final boss of Minecraft. You feel like you've accomplished something when you get IC2 crap to work properly without catching fire or exploding or killing you. I liked that about Gregtech too; something may be wrong with my brain.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It might have been Enigmatica 2. That's the most-recently-played one that isn't my own custom instances. I think I'll load it up tonight and see if it all comes up.

I had the Backpacks mod already in my instance, but it looks like it required leather. I assume Iron Backpacks was the same.

What I'm looking for more fundamentally is an easy capability to wander around the Overworld a bit before committing to a permanent spot. I used to be able to clobber together some plastic bags and carry along the essentials for a few trips, but those are gone. My fallback then was cloth bags of some kind from a bunch of cotton, and I can't find that anywhere anymore either. Then I could go for the spectral dimension key, but that now requires an ender pearl. It also seems like the spirits I need for it don't show up as often as I remembered. This is then all compounded by filling up my inventory with mystical flowers and Pam's Harvestcraft stuff. I now have to resort to teleporting between temporary camps once I've found a nice place to move all this random stuff I acquired along the way.

Shove poo poo in a chest and dolly the chest? I mean I get why a real-world person is fixated on the idea of a bag of some kind since that'd make more sense for the real-world and all...

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Doesn't the dolly impede movement?

I've pondered just leaning on strongboxes too since tin is fairly common and can be pulled out of the ground with stone tools.

Move it from your hotbar to your inventory. That used to work, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ender Storage I think is the mod I use for that; you can have a bag in your inventory set to the same color combo as an ender chest and it'll thus have the same stuff in it as the appropriate ender chest. Have your AE network put stuff you want remote access to in the appropriate ender chest and your linked ender bag can access the chest.