Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Reason posted:

Is there anything that adds crazy/weird terrain gen? I'm bored and want to play something weird.

I saw that you had already chosen one, but here's another just in case: Biosphere

Configurable spheres each with their own biomes and smaller mining spheres dotted around, all floating in the sky. I find it pretty fun for a change of pace and the transportation systems it requires.

For a challenge you can use the config to disable the walkways that automatically spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you put a dropper - with a redstone torch underneath it - pointing upwards underneath a pressure pad it will pop out the item on top of it and shut itself back off automatically as things are gobbled up. Perfect for as many endoflames as you could want.

E: Went and dug out my old design. It's a redstone clock underneath. Fed by charcoal being pumped in from a tree farm.

And the full setup.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 22, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It has been ages since I played through Project Ozone 2. No idea if there was even a reason for that setup in the first place but at least it looked nice.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Project Ozone 2 on normal mode could work for you and your group. It's setup as a skyblock that quickly reaches absurdity with automation leading to infinite resources, massively overpowered equipment, and the ability to build a power system so hilariously overkill that if it fails will wipe out dozens of chunks in every direction. Even has a good quest book to push you in the right directions.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 24, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

what is the new hotness in quest modpacks?

Two personal favourites
SevTech:Ages is a pack based around content gating as you advance through different tech tiers by fulfilling the quest book. Dazzling array of mods and things to do. Downside is it takes forever to load and has some questionable mods and busywork.
Skytouched is a very unique spin on skyblocks that is based around flying about with the Elytra on a hard-limited map space with the ground being poisonous though not so much as to stop you from scavenging. Has a pretty decent ramp up to let you reclaim the land with outposts and steadily pushing deeper into the earth.

Haven't gotten around to Exoria yet but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

I played this for a bit but the level requirement for going underground seemed daunting. How do you deal with that? Also what do you mean by outposts? I thought there was no way to avoid the miasma.

The experience/miasma layer was revised recently to make it less awful - you now only lose experience from toxins and having nutritions too low. Outposts are built by having botania regeneration incense to counter the ticking damage before you get to the Wither II layer. I personally use mine to stock potions at the border for deep mining.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Sails? Let me guess, you can put the fabric directly onto the windmill now. I should've looked it up in the IE manual.

Yep. It's actually pretty cool. Don't forget you can colour them, too. Rainbow windmills everywhere.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you want a more technical solution you can always use NBTExplorer to open your save folder and modify it to allow cheats. Also a good tool for general fixing stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
AE2 pro-tip: Go into the config file and turn off cable limits. Never deal with that annoyance again.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

khy posted:

I just need to decide on a texture pack and shaders now. Any recommendations?

Sphax-Bdcraft is one of the more popular ones and so tends to stay up-to-date for the bigger mods and a few smaller ones.

SEUS shaders go well with it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 14, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

enigmatica 2 expert

do you need to choose skyblock?. I dled it today but it made a normal world
Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock is its own specific pack separate from the non-skyblock one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Which sucks because I'm still slowly working through Age 3 of Sevtech :mad:
PO2's kappa mode is still the only pack I've ever completed the book on and looking forward to PO3.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
IC2 is everything wrong with modders who think they understand something but don't actually know anything about it then try and pass their understanding off as realism

Compare/contrast it to nuclearcraft where the person making it actually knows what they're on about and cuts out the boring stuff.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 26, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

I didn't think drying racks could be automated, but I suppose that works yeah.

Yeah it looks stupid but they're affected by hoppers and whatnot.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Themage posted:

what are the current big modpacks people are playing?

Sevtech went into its final version a few months ago and is a big long sprawling pack. Probably the most unique experience I've had in minecraft with how it gates what's available and how you reach new 'Ages'. Requires tons of exploration and going deep into various mods.
Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock is remixed skyblock that's still occasionally updated. Biggest change is how early game works without having sieves and using multiblocks for things.

Those two I'm personally familiar with though there's also the big kitchen sink pack All The Mods which is supposedly pretty decent too.

E: And Project Ozone 3 is currently being beta'd and close to finished which if it's anything like PO2 will be a massive, fun pack.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

It outright requires 6 gigs? Sounds unplayable. Last I heard the advice was to never go past 4 gigs because the garbage collection gets too bad and performance starts to drop like a rock.

8gb allocation is pretty much the standard for big 1.12 packs. 6 if you're not using a texture pack.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

AceClown posted:

It should be stable AF right now, honestly, they've tested the ever loving poo poo out of this pack to ensure there's no quest bugs or any issues at all.
So much anticipation for PO3's hard/kappa modes. Hopefully they're all done and released in time for finally finishing off sevtech.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Just turn down blood moon frequency if you're doing non-skyblock maps. Or turn it off. For PO2, at least, it was supposedly only there to make mob farming easier for the skyblock start.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Skylands is a fantastic 'skyblock' style start in that there are a bunch of islands made of dirt. In the sky. Skip the early dirt grind and just restart until you have an aesthetically pleasing starting area.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Stupid question, but, did something huge change between like ... 1.7? (whatever the old really popular modding version was) and 1.12? I remember running old technic mod packs like tekkit and hexxit without issues, but trying to run the Tekxit 1.12 mod pack just has my game totally chugging and hitching to the point it's completely unplayable.

To expand, everything is now loaded into memory when the game starts which can be either really good or really bad depending on the system you're using.

The hitching is most likely java's garbage collection and can be helped along with
code:
-XX:+UseG1GC -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
Dump it into the "Additional Java Arguments" in whatever launcher you use.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

for astral attunement ive got an attunement altar/structure its got the white sparkles, im holding the constellation paper in my hand and i put the spectral relays on there on the blue sparkles and nothing is happening what could i be doing wrong

E: Misread.

Constellation probably isn't in the sky, yeah.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Does SevTech Ages have much in the way of unified/expandable inventory storage early on, or is it all shifted to much later in the pack's progression?

Age 3 has the first true sorting system with Storage Drawers and its controller. Age 4 is when you really start getting into the meat of automation and mass storage though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The 'carry on' mod lets you carry chests and such with their inventories. It slows you down pretty heavily but is great for early game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sevtech is an absolutely fantastic modpack :colbert: The guiding on the first few ages is very strict and you can get up to Age 2 after a few hours. It's only in Age 2 when the pack slams into a wall and you start digging in deep.

Just make sure to check everything that unlocks with each age as the book only mentions and pushes towards a few key things in each mod, especially from Age 2 onwards.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Sevtech is combat challenges: the pack until you can attune and fully level the rear end Sorcery Armara perk, at which point you become completely invincible. Well, assuming that it never got updated to the latest AS release where Armara got nerfed into the ground.

Or a mending enchanted Aevitas mantle with a green gem. Outheal anything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I've got an Astral Sorcery question: What blocks/structures actually need to be in the high-density starfield areas? The ones you find at night with the resonator or whatever that look like sparkly gas clouds? I know you build there for increased starlight (and up to Y=128 for even more), but other than the astral crafting tables I'm not sure what needs to be built in there and what can just be built anywhere.
Do collector crystals need to be built in areas like that, or can they go anywhere? I keep trying to cram every Astral Sorcery thing into the same area and not being able to spread out my liquid starlight production, for example, is really bugging me.

Also I built an Arcane Spa to keep liquid starlight pumping but apparently it only works in contiguous areas so I can't use it to keep the Starlight Infusion Altar filled, which is a bit of a bummer.

I only put my crafting altar inside the starlight spot for early game and that was more than enough to craft everything needed at night. Just make sure to surround it with those lenses until you're able to get a 900/100/100 collector. Then it's permanently full forever anyways.

Haven't noticed any downsides for anything else being outside the fields.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've found splitting blightfall into two parts is better for describing it: The first half with all of the exploration is grade-A fun. The second half with clearing taint is a horrible unfun slog. A pack that does more of the first and eliminates the second would be aces.

Though I will say the first part did have the problem of the spreading taint putting a vague time pressure feeling to everything, especially because once it spread it made the landscape pretty boring.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 5, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do packs that tend to funnel people into Immersive Engineering tend to alter how that mod itself behaves? I am curious if there is a particularly common path challenge packs use for the sake of "progression."

Sevtech, at least, features IE pretty heavily in Age3/4 though it doesn't really change the mod itself. The pack just uses the machines to gate steel and a few essential goodies while otherwise being the first real step in automated systems - making gears, rods, and the like. It's also used as the first source of ore doubling with the crusher + smelter.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hooplah posted:

Can anyone tell me if something weird is going on here? Enigmatica 2 expert single player world: IE connectors and relays don't seem to be visually attaching to other objects.

How do you mean? If there's no wires between them make sure you're using the correct type for your relay/connector.

If you mean the connector isn't sending power then sometimes there are only specific sides that accept it - though from your image that looks like it could be a relay and not a connector attached?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

AgentCow007 posted:

My friends and I have the itch to MC again...

Can anyone recommend me a modern modpack? I've got about 8 people, I like tech, my friends like questing/progression stuff like Twilight Forest, and a lot of exploring. Wouldn't mind some good food mods either.

Sevtech has a ton of exploration - Twilight Forest, Betweenlands, Deep Dark, Hunting Dimensions, Abyssalcraft's multiple special dimensions to name a few - and is entirely built around a themed progression system of going from cavemen to astronauts with a huge helping of magic thrown in before tech takes over.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's the mending enchant while also having an internal buffer for said xp.

If you're far enough along it's better to just make the item unbreakable with 5 reinforcements. Getting a weapon with the extra damage at low durability, wearing it down to 1 durability then making it unbreakable is how you currently get the highest damage weapons in ticon.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 18, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

I thought you couldn't do that anymore? Tcon2 doesn't really let you put a lot of mods on items.

It still works in Sevtech, at least, so it would have had to have been a very recent change if so.
Wouldn't be surprised if some packs would kill it off though as it's pretty broken.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Latest version of java? Always a huge one especially if you're using a launcher like, say, Twitch as it defaults to an old inbuilt one.
How about proper command line java args? Garbage collection could be a problem when loading something big like a new dimension.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Devor posted:

You can choose Launch Method - I think I use Native Launcher, but if you choose Jar Launcher then you specify the Java version. Scroll all the way down, you can see Java Arguments - I use "-Xmx9G" which sets it to 9GB of memory, overriding other settings

Yeah this. Here's the one I've been using which was originally taken from the sevtech pack maker but will work for any big pack.

quote:

-XX:+UseG1GC -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
This one assumes memory cap is set elsewhere otherwise you can add the memory arg as above. The command line will override any other settings anyways.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Sweet, then I can cram the altars into my increasingly crowded island. Thanks!

Astral Sorcery has a few rather large multiblocks as well as a cheap, easy, and fast infinite range teleporter so having a dedicated temple area can be good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

xanthan posted:

So, 2 questions. What are the current quest based packs that people are liking? Love the game but can't seem to keep on playing without some definite goals.
Second, how do I make the Twitch launcher update packs when I click update? The drat thing seems to just not do anything when I tell it to update most of the time.

For 1.12 you've got:
Sevtech. A very strict exploration and age-based pack. Caveman to astronaut while digging liberally into magic and numerous techs. Relies heavily on quests at first then loosens as ages progress while still pushing you towards where you need to go.

Project Ozone 3. Latest iteration of the popular skyblock. Normal mode only right now so more of a loose progression. If you're looking for a more strict and complex experience then waiting for kappa mode and more updates would be good. Project Ozone 2 kappa mode for 1.7 is still one of my personal best experiences in minecraft.

Enigmatica 2/ Expert/ Expert Skyblock. Variations of a modpack much like the above though has been out longer and more polished. The expert skyblock version in particular is a much different interpretation of skyblocking than usual as it eschews sieves and the like in favour of multiblocks. Massive questbook to keep you on track and with things to do.

Exoria. Another heavily involved exploration type pack. You have a central hub world that works much like a skyblock without being in the sky - building from nothing and using that to expand, etc. Gimmick is mainly about exploring different dimensions. Questbook is decently strict about keeping you in line.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
My own sevtech abyssalcraft temple uses 64 statues split into 4 groups which is massively overkill but fills the book very quickly on the central pedestal. Just build a dozen or so blocks down and cover the top with holes for the statues with one of the spreader whatevers pointed upwards at the charging pedestal and you'll never worry about spawns. Build in the abysslands and won't have to worry about biome changing either.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Make the wild dog boots asap and ignore horses entirely; the boots give speed, fall immunity, and large amounts of armour. Slime sling + slime boots also work for long distance travel although that's age 1 or 2 iirc.

As to your horse disappearing there's poo poo all you can do, unfortunately.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

But i need help with my sevtech. Ive crafted my necromibook. Now i need to make the beneath portal and some ritial pedastls. I have no idea how to do that.

My darklands and my infested swamp are 2 days run from my base.

What am i even looking to do? I didnt see any shaggoth pits or monolith stone anywhere?

Like how much coriline do i need to harvest to make ???? to make the ???

Make a boat and ride along the waterways until you see a rectangle of dark stone; that'll be the shoggoth pit and the stone can be relatively safely mined out from the entrance.

Ritual pedastal is explained in the book and also is just a circle of stone around a stone pillar which is then right clicked with the book.

In my own sevtech early on I created a boating network that relied on only short land crossings which helped significantly with speed, but getting around is definitely the hardest part of the first ages until you get the sling + boots.

No idea what coriline is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe he means Coralium? That stuff spawns as standard oregen in darklands and swamp biomes.

Oh duh, that stuff. It also spawns under the ocean biome which is where I got all of mine; although that was mostly because I hadn't found a swamp yet at the time. A stack or two is all that's needed for the guy who asked though.