Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Probably the chisel "factory" blocks. For industrial decoration, chisels "tyrian" and "laboratory" blocks have a lot of industrial/techy variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Whalley posted:

Can I make one request, if it fits how you're thinking about changing the mod? I'd love for a single block 'chest' type transport; as much as ducts can be useful, the one thing I always wind up building in EnderIO whenever I can is the item buffer; it's just really nice to have a full block space that I can pull/push from multiple sides that has a small inventory inside as well. It's not crazy useful, but there's just something nicer in small builds for me using that over ducts. Totally your call, your mod - it's just a really nice, underutilized block to have, and I'd like to not wind up installing EnderIO just for it in future packs.

It sounds like you're describing the Item Allocator, a TE block. Have you used it?

Gerdalti posted:

I've been thinking about getting another small server going for a few friends, but I haven't Minecrafted since 1.7.10 was popular.
What's a decent (medium footprint) server pack these days? Computers and generators and magic etc. would be nice.

I'm working on making a new version of Progress, if you're into that. It'll probably be a week or two.

I recently played Enigmatica 2 (Expert), and overall enjoyed it, but it's the opposite of a medium footprint. It's absolutely gigantic, and unfortunately pretty much all the popular quest-based packs are similarly enormous. Like "you can't even launch this without allocating 6GB" huge. And, MC being what it is, those 6GB will always be filled with leaked crap that will cause hitching on every single GC cycle even after the first boot. In fairness the pack ran pretty well overall considering, the performance boosting mods are no joke.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

People were talking about a new quest mod in here a while back. How does it compare to Better Questing? Is it out and usable for someone making a modpack? I want to make a quest book but I really don't like BQ.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey ya'll, in about a weeks time I'm going to be releasing a new version of Progress!

I know a few people in this thread have played before so I wanna let ya'll know. This time it's going to have much clearer progression, with quests that walk you through the various mod interactions and steps required to get from one thing to the next. Also, a nice clear lategame goal to give something people to work towards, to avoid the "mid-game" lack of focus that often occurs in sandbox packs. Lots more focus on mod interactions, with botania and astral sorcery taking a more prominent role.

As always, the goal is to be lightweight, without 20 mods with overlapping functionality, good performance for both clients and servers, and a load time of less than 30 minutes. I'm very sick and tired of every pack loading in 250 mods, seemingly just because they're there, instead of because they add something valuable to gameplay. Gotta be the change you want to see in the world, and all that.

I plan to have the server up in about a week, 2 at the latest, in time for thanksgiving break for all the Americans.

Additionally, if anyone wants to help contributing with quests, recipes, playtesting, or just finding good world seeds for a server, the discord is in the PGS thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234
Or if you just wanna hang out and talk to ButtBot, that's cool too.

I'll post more detailed info when it's about to come out!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Not sure if it will be exactly what you're looking for, but I'll be releasing a new Progress in a few days. It won't necessarily be the newest mods, but it's centered around botania, and astral sorcery on the magic side, and IE/thermal suite/AE on the tech side. It's made to be a relatively light modpack, and it'll have quests that help guide a player through the start of the central mods.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Original idea plz don't steal

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Disasterpiece Theater

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860262

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

taiyoko posted:

So I'm playing Sky Adventures and have set up autocrafting, mostly for IC2 related stuff like circuits and such that I'm making a bunch of for various things. Is there any way to craft in AE2 using fluids stored in fluid drives? I have a setup that will make the coolant and import it to a fluid disk, but I can't find any way to then craft the coolant cells using tin plates and 1000mb of stored fluid. This puts a crimp in increasing my UU-Matter production because I have three new recyclers that I need to toss speed upgrades in.

No. You can export fluid, but you'll basically have to work around a setup that keeps a fluid topped off, rather than one that meters it out precisely when needed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Depends posted:

I have to restart each day to fix it but this is the first pack I've had on there that has required daily restarts. My Craft of the Titans 2 server has been up and running for about 3 weeks since it's last restart with no problems at all.
The weirdest part was that it only happens when no one is online, the restart will fix it and it'll run smoothly until the next time everyone has been offline for a couple hours.

That's not surprising. Not only is Enigmatica 2 way bigger - so even in normal circumstances it'll bump up against memory limits far faster - but more importantly, it has way more (and different) mods. Each mod can potentially introduce memory leaks. Most mods will introduce memory leaks of some kind, partially because modders are often not professional developers, and partially because they're plugging into an unofficial and modder-created API that is imperfect and poorly documented and built on top of a disaster of a codebase (Minecraft). Most of these leaks will be small - a JSON object here, a POJO there, so they add up pretty slowly. But sometimes there will be a big leak - poor network handling, threads that don't get closed properly, leaking chunk data, leaking textures, etc. Those add up really fast.

When you have 250 mods, you will have potentially dozens of small leaks, and lots of room for big leaks to sneak in unnoticed. Packs like that will always necessitate super frequent restarts - if you have several people playing and all moving around the world building their own bases that's just going to make leaks more frequent. It's completely normal to need to restart a server like that every 6h.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tried but that didn't work in this case either. Major point: it's an RFtools dimension made out of bedrock and I'm trying to carve out a section of it in creative mode.

Use a maxed Terra shatterer with the ring of Thor. It's something absurd like 11x11x8 per hit.

Maybe world edit, but I don't know if there's still a maintained version.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The new Progress server will be up tomorrow (sunday) at 3PM CT (9PM UTC). :)

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Progress is out!

The pack is updated with new mods, significantly more cross-mod interaction, and quests to guide new players and give everyone a goal to work towards. As always, the goal is a server that performs silky smooth for both clients and server, and avoids redundant mods.

The server is now live, so come on in and enjoy! I know I've been spamming the thread so this'll be my last post advertising it.

Modpack link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Thread with server and discord details: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Vanilla mob spawners check for players in their operating area every single tick. They're awful.

Foamfix improves this in its latest version.

... now they only check every 10 ticks! :downs:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermal dynamics has redstone gates that can send signals along a duct network. Sounds like what you're looking for and it'll be easier than what you're rigging up

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Does anyone have a good method for autocrafting terrasteel through AE or RS? Dropping the materials on the agglomeration plate is easy, but the hard part is making sure only one set of materials is dropped at a time when you want to craft more than one terrasteel.

You'll need more than just AE.

The way I did it last was fairly convoluted, but ended up working well.

- First, connect an interface to a chest, just like you normally would.
- The recipe needs to have the normal items (mana pearl, diamond, steel) plus one useless item. Doesn't matter what it is, I used cobblestone.
- The chest needs to have two ducts on it. One leads to an open crate above the agglomeration plate, and is always on. Blacklist your useless item (cobble for me). The other pipe leads back into the interface - whitelist your useless item. This pipe needs to require a redstone signal, and it needs to be slow (e.g. base servo from TD). If the pipe is fast, it'll end up sucking out the next set of terrasteel ingredients, which is bad.
- Put the interface in blocking mode. This prevents the interface from adding anything to the chest if it still has any items in it, this is important to prevent overflow
- Put a comparator on the agglomeration plate, this outputs a signal while crafting
- Create a redstone falling edge detector. This will vary by pack, or you can use vanilla redstone if you're brave. I used computercraft. This will detect when the signal from the comparator goes from 1 to 0, indicating that the craft is complete, then will output a pulse.
- Connect your falling edge detector to the pipe that shoves out your useless item - It'll get a pulse when crafting is finished, get rid of the cobblestone, then the chest will be empty and free to accept items for the next craft.
- And of course, something to pick up the terrasteel. Hopperhock or vacuumulator are perfect here.

So pretty complex! I have some ideas for compacting this design, but I need to experiment with them before I know it'll work. This one was tricky to automate, much more so even than the runic altar, which is surprising.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Heffer posted:

Is Refined Storage just a clone of Applied Energistics 2? Any function difference?

It's mostly a clone, yeah. It took out some of the more esoteric mechanics (crystals, channels), which some people like. Personally I think some of the crafting stuff in AE2 is bad, but I love channels. But if you don't like channels they can be turned off in the config.

The real problem with RS is that it is an absolute disaster in comparison to AE, code wise. AE2 has been since its creation on of the most meticulously optimized mods, and will never be a source of TPS lag no matter how huge you make it. RS on the other hand is a huge laggy beast that can bring servers to their knees, since it was just a poor recreation by people without the same coding chops. To be fair though, AlrorithmX2 (the AE2 dev) is a machine and consistently writes incredible code, he also wrote chisel & bits.

Additionally RS does a worse job with some automation mechanics, and gets rid of the idea of "subnets", which are really cool and useful even if you have channels disabled.

Basically its a bad recreation. Just use AE2. If you hate channels, turn them off, if you hate the weird crafting steps, create recipes to get around them. I have a bunch I created for Progress if you want a starting point.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey KingLemming, not sure how often you read this thread, but I have a simple question. I'm kicking around an idea in my head of a redstone control mod, and I'm curious if it's at all feasible for a separate mod to plug into the redstone system of thermal dynamics. What I would like to do is to connect a duct that has redstone relays on its network, and be able to read/write to all 16 channels via that block. Is there an API like that, or would it be feasible to create one?

Basically I want to create something similar to Programmable Rednet Controller from MFR, but I'm not excited about the idea of making a whole new cabling system (like MFR had), both because it's a big technical workload, and also because so many already exist. Thermal Dynamics is obviously the most ubiquitous mod that provides this functionality, so it would be rad to hook into it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Antillie posted:

Getting to the end is basically just a question getting enough ender pearls to find the portal. Ender ore looks interesting, I wonder how it compares to ender lilies from Extra Utilities 2.

If it need changes just ask the author (it's me)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You've all disgusted me so much I'm taking my mod and leaving, John Galt style. You don't deserve my industry!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

But...that IS his responsibility, as a mod dev. It would be up to him to make his mod look for an oredict instead of specific hardcoded blocks.

Fuckin' Minecraft modders..."It's not my responsibility to develop my mod!"

It's the guy who made AE2 and C&B, I think he probably knows well enough what belongs in the mod. And no, it's not his responsibility. Modders do it for fun and give away their work for free, and when you develop two of the most popular MC mods you get people screaming at you to add features all the time, it's basically a necessity to ignore it all for the sake of your sanity, even if some of the requests are very reasonable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

People playing minecraft in a different way than me? Why I never

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How the heck does the dank null docking station work? I've tried putting it on top of an ME interface, on top of an AA crate, on top of an itemduct with a servo pulling from it -- nothing.

Make whatever is pulling from it redstone toggleable. It's weird about block updates, so you gotta flip a switch sometimes. Also make sure each stack has the right extraction mode.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Arkitektbmw posted:

Built my first AE2 network last night. Jumped in feet first, and managed to get some automated crafting set up. What's a good way to keep a certain stock of items in your system?

As in, I'd like it to craft x number of processors once I use them all up.

Level emitter, set to turn on at X number of an item, pointing at an export bus that has a crafting card and a redstone card in it. Set the export bus to that item. Then point it at an interface, or any other existing setup you have for pulling items into the system. Now it'll craft that item whenever it goes below the number you set on your level emitter.

This is one of the jankier parts of AE, but it's part of the philosophy of not providing specialized blocks, just general tools that can be combined for a specialized purpose. Personally I think this is a common enough need that it should have a specialized tool, but ah well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Truga posted:

java hobbyists own

lol you should check out the KSP thread and see how much c# hobbyists own. One mod that did nothing but change research orders annihilated performance, though the metrics to measure it aren't as good over there.

Hobbyists and performant code generally don't mix. Hell, a lot of the time even professionals and performant code don't mix. Most professionals don't work on performance-critical applications, though they at least can usually avoid pitfalls of memory leaks and poor architecture.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Harik posted:

Even faster, take cuttings from one. Cuttings have a chance not to take, seeds always plant. There's a "bug" where the crop analyzer turns unidentified cuttings into seeds so you can basically instantly grow as many as you want.

It's adorable that you think the "sloshing" was designed rather than him doing it idiotically in code and never fixing it and slapping "feature" on it.

E: while I'm at it, I hate most piping systems because multi-output-type is a thing and only one or two mods let you designate which output goes to which side. luv2 smash my entire piping system because I get a fart of the wrong fluid in.

I personally agree that it's bad design, but it's not that weird to design fluid mechanics that way. That's very similar to how factorio pipes work as well, for example.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blightfall

E: dammit new page

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For those interested, a new Progress server is starting up in a few minutes. Mostly the same pack as last time, but some minor tweaks and a brand new world, anyone is welcome. :)

Details in the PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What made 1.14 performance so much worse?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

HoboJoe's progress pack does this right, IMO -- there's craft tweaker recipes to add straight up 3x3 crafting recipes for processors at a materials premium. That way, if you want to conserve materials, you can do it the standard AE2 way, or if you just want a dang terminal and ME drive and disks you can burn extra stuff to get it online quickly.

I heard my name.

AE2 is probably the single best MC mod in my opinion, but it definitely has a couple questionable mechanics particularly in the early-game. I made some recipes to help work around this flaw without undoing too much of the design of the mod.

1) You don't need to throw ingredients in water anymore to craft fluix anymore. This is a dumb tedious mechanic.
2) You don't need inscribers to make processors. This not only bypasses the really hard-to-automate inscribers, but it also bypasses the need for a metal press. These recipes are a little more expensive than the inscribers though, which provides an inventive to still get creative with automation to save on materials after you get your first network components up.

But you should use AE2Stuff to get the easier-to-automate inscriber and much better growth chamber.

All of these recipes are on github and I encourage everyone to use them so you can enjoy AE2 fully without running right into its more frustrating mechanics. All you need is crafttweaker.
https://github.com/thehobojoe/Progress/blob/client/1.12.2/.minecraft/scripts/AE.zs

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

New Progress server is up! The pack will be familiar to those who have played Progress before, but the world is, for the first time ever, completely handmade, thanks to our own Johnny_Madhouse, who made something incredible. Head on over to the PGS thread and join us, anyone is welcome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Any chance of adding OpenComputers and its addons? (Open Screens etc)

Probably not. Is there something particular about it you need? We already have computercraft and rftools for automation and display stuff.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I basically just assumed it became like Terraria, which originally was fairly sparse on content, but just grew over the years to have a quite fleshed out system of bosses, items, etc.

It's not like that at all. While MC has gotten new content, it's extremely small additions that usually add little to nothing to the core gameplay, just some random tidbit in a random part of the world (like a different looking mob). The end boss is simplistic and anti-climactic and is easy to fight if you prepare at all. The combat systems and exploration systems are bad.

The appeal of the game is building or large gameplay mods - if those don't interest you you probably will not enjoy the game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xun posted:

Yeah it honestly sounds like modded Minecraft is exactly what theyre looking for. It can add a bunch of goals, weapons, bosses, exploration etc. The thing is that's just not vanilla :v:

Yeah. Despite my negative comments about the game itself, it lends itself very well to its modding scene, providing a pretty basic foundation that can be built on. Nothing in the actual game mechanics suggested at all the factory/automation style mods that sprung up early on (and actually inspired dedicated factory games like factorio), they were just able to be stapled on top without much dissonance because the base game is so simple.

This lead to probably the most vibrant and creative mod scene for any game ever. Despite lots of mod quality complaints or modders who drank their own kool-aid, there is an absolute plethora of really great mods and modpacks that provide a ton of fun experiences that are worth exploring in their own right. That's why there are still so many of us posting about mods a decade later for a pretty shallow game with largely stagnant development. :)

All that said, there are some good parts about the core gameplay loop. The experience of exploring, mining, and even fighting are quite fun your first couple times through, and can be quite relaxing, especially if you enjoy the building aspect of the game. The procedural world and the simple satisfaction of finding neat things to work with in the unique terrain is quite nice, and is part of the games broad appeal. The main thing to realize before going in is that gameplay is really simple and shallow and does not have the depth or breadth of something like Terraria.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 21, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aren't there already major mods using various abstractions in common libraries to support multiple major versions of Forge simultaneously?

No. That existed very briefly between 1.10 and 1.11 with a compat mod made by Mcjty (rftools dev) but it never caught on. No notable mods besides his own ever used it, and it only worked because the changes between 1.10 and 1.11 were tiny. A similar compat layer wasn't made for any other versions.

Re: fabric/Forge, I've never used fabric but developers say that there is no limitations to what it can do compared to Forge. The primary difference is that Forge provides a ton of preexisting hooks into the base source code to facilitate common functionality, but makes it difficult to add new ones, while fabric adds almost no basic hooks like that but allows them to be easily created by mod devs. In theory this makes fabric potentially even more open-ended than Forge, but likely slower to initially develop for. Updating between versions (for both fabric itself and fabric mods) should be much faster than with Forge though. Guess we'll see how things play out in the next year or so.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That sounds fairly similar to /dank/null (I know) which is a solid backpack-ish mod. Mostly good for holding near-infinite amounts of mined materials rather tools and such.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xun posted:

I keep having issues with danknulls just...eating my items? Like I could go on a nice mining trip, see that I got a bunch of cobble/coal/lapis/whatever and when I try to empty it the slots just become empty and maybe I can get stuff out manually or not. Anyone knows whats up with that?

It had some bugs a while back (8 months or a year or so) but as far as I know they've all been fixed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Because what's under the source blocks matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Twitch is what basically everyone uses. Use MultiMC if you want to not deal with it and/or have easier control of your packs.

Twitch is... Well, twitch, but it works well enough and has basically every pack.