Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
We hate the 1.6.4 thermal expansion. If you have pipes across a chunk border it fails due to the network calculation using a non thread safe global static that is cleared down on each chunk

Also we have hexxit on 1.5.2 running on 1gb ram and used to run 1.2.5 tekkit classic on 512mb with no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

infernal mobs is loving awful and like some sort of malignant growth that keeps blooming inside of otherwise decent modpacks

Exhibit 1: Agrarian Skies, Jaded Cat made ALL mobs in the nether infernal - enter the nether and die horribly at all times.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

Infernal Mobs makes combat infuriatingly difficult until you reach a certain point; then it just becomes extremely irritating when you have to clear out a mob with quad health, regen and an extra life.

End of light was one of the worst, 90% of stone blocks were silverfish and 90% were infernal so if you didnt insta kill they would summon their friends one player had about 300 silverfish at once nearly all being infernal and more spawning every second

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

AceClown posted:

I just really really dislike the mod, I find it tedious, unintuitive and sometimes stuff just straight up doesn't work with no obvious reason as to why.

There's also no "easy" fire and forget system of generating Mana you have to baby the drat setup all the way through. Passive generating flowers dying off was the worst change.

on Botania i usually make a potato mana farm, but it doesnt work on some MP server who lower the hopper rate to stop duping systems using hoppers

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Actually Additions definitely has some good stuff. Portable crafting tables, some fun worldgen structures, rice, flax plants for string, and whatnot. I'm also deeply infatuated with the ESD and its item lasers -- they are super useful at automating weird machines since ESDs can target specific inventory slots. The lasers are also super useful for gluing together random inventories -- an item interface acts as a combined insert or extract point for every inventory point connected by laser.

However, I also get that AA is terrible for performance. For example, I used LagGoggles to profile my MSB3 base, and the ESD that is filtering mob drops from my mob spawner is taking up an order of magnitude more tick time than any other block in my base.

:( I thought for a moment you were talking about the server i play on's Custom pack we all call AA (Apocalyptic Adventures) which is a 1.7.10 re-imagining of Hexxit.
They also have a 1.7.10 re-imagining version of a bucket pack (think tppi/YCC) called Apocalyptic Technology & RPG.

Both are on Technic launcher and to be honest I like the TRPG pack, not too keen on the AA pack

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Double Punctuation posted:

You’re out of memory. 2.5 GB isn't nearly enough to run modded Minecraft. If you aren’t running on a toaster, increase the maximum memory for the VM in your launcher config.

Although our server runs Voltz and Hexxit on 1gb ram and YCC on 2.5gb (thats the server side anyway)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

A) the server doesn't count and b) those are like Minecraft version 1.5 packs aren't they?

hexxit and voltz are 1.5.2 the rest are 1.6.4

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

AceClown posted:

Watching that made me realise that I build waaay too small half the time. I try to cram so much in a small area it gets overwhelming.

When i play Agrarian Skies i have an ME in no time, they spent way too much time beautifying rather than actually working

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
This is my Agrarian skies build, its the top number 2 score in the server with 13515 score - basically the diamond blocks under the island.
There are several laser drills providing ores, and the large green area is full of animals but the server restricts the render distance as other islands are within 100 blocks (all islands are 50 radius from the spawn point of the island)
The number 1 island on the server is the Network Admin with a score of 150000+

The large Cobble block in the middle is my Ghast Farm with the normal Mob farm underneath embedded within the diamonds
The Tessaract star is my cobblegen mark 2 it can with full stack upgrades produce 1m cobble an hour.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 19, 2018

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

As others have said.

Get about 20 endoflames. then about 10-20 bonsai trees dropping their stuff on them will get you tons of mana.

I did read above somewher that there is a flower that eats cake? and that astral sorc lets you turn pumpkins into cake? thats the route im going to try when i get there.

i tend to do potato farm with hoppers/cart round the outside which usually produces waaay too much mana and I end up using the red flux block to turn mana into RF

What we need is a flower that can take RF and turn it into mana
or that we can pipe mana out of pools and into liquid storage in AE or even Bedrockium Drums

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I play and do plugins for a small network who runs lots of 1.5.2 and 1.6.4 servers, every time we have a problem the mod/plugin/server creators (spigot, etc) just tell us to stop using these mod packs and to move to vanilla 1.12.2,

We cannot get the same sort of gameplay as we do in the older versions 1.5.2 Hexxit and Voltz, 1.6.4 Agrarian Skies, Attack of the B-Team, Yogscast Complete, Tekkit Space, TPPI

Some of these are classics and complete fun to multi play on.

What is this drive to ignore the classic packs that play just as well today as they did on release, and move to the cutting edge?
Why should we try to make these classic packs in 1.12.2? No more bukkit but going for Sponge instead?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Khorne posted:

Voltz isn't something I'd want to support. It's trivial to accidentally crash the server.

We have Voltzhelper and the author is working with us to fix any other issues,

We also use Nallar's Tick threading which prevents server crashes

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I never found IC2 grindy, Gregtech - now that was grindy

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I love skyblocks but I've also sort of fallen out of love with them and the more I think about it the more I think other gimmicky packs would be better. There's not a lot of innovation, it feels like. Skyblock was a novel concept once, let's get more.

I once tried to build a pack based around Mystcraft and Ars Magica 2 but they don't share a compatible version after 1.7.10. Mystcraft skipped 1.10, and Ars Magica never got past it. Neither has a 1.12 version.
A pack built around magic and a dimension-nomadic lifestyle could be a lot of fun. Maybe a personal void/miniature dimension to set up a base. There was some pack from ages ago that gave spells as quest rewards instead of having to grind/craft for them and I thought that was a pretty fun one. "Banished"? One of those one-word packs that came out around that time.
Anyway my point is let's just have some fun new gimmicks instead of just the same gimmick. Kitchen sink packs are fun to flex and explore but everyone loves a good novelty now and then.

If we're going to keep going with skyblocks I'd rather have something fundamentally the same but with less tedious building, like a dead/desolate world (like in Regrowth) or a featureless flatland.

the other problem is that servers will disable Mystcraft and Dimensional doors anyway

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Just wondering,

why are all the modern modpacks not that interesting?

Why can't we get 1.12 packs like Blightfall, End of Light, YCC Agrarian Skies Hexxit et al

(Yes i know that there is MSB and other up to date ones)
The problem is all the modern ones are not as gripping as the originals, we need some new story type packs - but some that are useable on MP servers rather than just single player.

Blightfall doesnt work in MP Regrowth however does.

Galacticraft is old and a little dated maybe there could be a better more up to date setup, I remember when i played on a MUCK or MUD I had a space system that provided "REAL" space without infinite storage needed,

The concept was each person was in a small room (region) and as they moved around their "location" was updated and when someone entered the same "room" they were in the same "dimension" and all other empty space areas did not exist.
Maybe we could have a real space system on 1.12 that could actually use that sort of system meaning that there are only the max dimensions as the number of players currently online plus the locations of the "planets" and Spacestations etc.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ok how do you have the bases shared between 1000000 people

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

What are End of Light and YCC? I've never heard of that first one and I don't recognize the acronym on the second.

End of light was a mod pack around the time of Voltz - mind blowingly hard
https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/end-of-light.253491

YCC is Yogscast Complete - a variant of Resonant Rise 2
https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/YogscastCompletePack/

Vib Rib posted:

How the gently caress are you gonna have 1000000 people on any Minecraft server regardless of what pack it is?

I was exaggerating, blightfall is a limited size fixed map, if a server has a generic world its a normal world and not blighted
The Bases cannot work for a public server as you can have thousands of players over time
also if i and my 3 friends set up in Base A, then another group comes and griefs my base as they wanted it fights would start.
Blightfall is not really designed as a large multiplayer map.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

President Ark posted:

sevtech got an update and among the updates they made the one betweenlands thing required for the iron apple a lot more common

Which sevtech is everyone playing?

I see the following
Sevtech ages latest
Sevtech 3.06 from curseforge
Sevtech ages
Sevtech ages kind of
Sevtech 1.12
Sevtech Custom

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have noticed a trend recently,

the current trend is : FORGET ANYTHING >1 VERSION AGO AND ONLY DO FOR THE LATEST

The problem is that people still like playing hexxit, voltz, tekkit Space, Tekkit Legends, TPPI, Agrarian skies, Yogscast Complete

and people are trying to produce plugins and stuff for these packs but whenever they ask for help in the forums/irc/dev channels the answer they get is "Stop doing that and move to the latest"

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
You know the one thing i wish AE2 would introduce, where if you place Crafting terminals next to each other they would link up to make larger ones (ie similar to open computer monitors)

That would allow stuff to be nicely linked - and think terminals along the walls of your corridors ala Star Trek LCARS Access panels

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok I have had an idea for a while but not quite sure how to do the protection part in a mod.

Risk Factions:
You have a central Chunk where you build your single generation altar it will produce 75 claim blocks per minecraft day.
You can merge claim blocks into 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x 8x (similar to compressed cobblestone)
Every Claim block placed anywhere in the chunk gives it power and other players cannot do anything in that chunk unless they have more claim blocks in adjacent chunks in which case every claim block they place in your chunk removes theirs and yours in equal amount until all your claim blocks are gone and the other player can then take ownership of the chunk, The generation altar = 1000 claim blocks.

TL;DR; = Faction Mod that works like Risk.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hey yall, I've been fiddling around in Tekkit Legends and I've run into an issue with the Philosopher's Stone. All the fuel recipes from Coal up to Aeternalis Fuel work fine; however, the recipe to go from Charcoal to Coal, which is key to the whole reusable mass production thing I want to set up, seems to be missing from the install. The Tekkit Classic wiki seems to show that it should be there, but it's not in my game.

Is the charcoal -> coal thing something they added later and it's not supposed to be in Legends? Or is something hosed up?

I am just on Tleg at the moment, I am just getting to a power flower but the simple start is a mk1 power condensor and it will take a Glowstone and slowly build up through the different types, as soon as I get the new type i just throw it in the table/tablet, I now have most items in the tablet and only had to make 1 of each in most cases

as for mass power production - blaze rod pulverised into powder @ 3 for 1 means you get 1.5 blaze rods back
so you can use a pE chest to turn blaze powder into rods and then pulverised the rods to get more powder for net gain, Simples.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
One thing i liked was Morph Mod with MystCraft,
If you drop a book on the floor it becomes an entity, Kill that entity and you can morph into a book,
The book is 1/2 Slab high so you can make your base entry 1/2 slab high and if you are on a server with Worldguard it means you can protect your base and keep it hidden.

It also works with Robits and the Hamsters on Attack of the B-Team

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is there a mod for Forge that allows an admin to mark off certain areas of the map where it forces a player as long as they are in the zone in Adventure Mode? On my server I am working on five different dungeons that have items that open up a sixth dungeon, but I'd like to avoid players just tunneling through like jerks and go through the place without making bedrock blocks with new skins (a complaint by a majority last map since one person just tunneled through the dungeons and get items, so people went through legit and got to the end only to get a wet fart since the dungeons are obvious if they have been cleared).

I was able to replicate it with Command Blocks but it's not 100% consistent and results in some wonky situations during testing (player /homes in a dungeon they stay in Adventure Mode, a real issue).

We are running 1.12.2 right now, but I have yet to find anything.

Not sure of a mod, but there is something like that already in Twilight Forest, All of the Twilight forest areas are locked out until you complete the prior work, and that includes breaking the Lich King's tower unless you have unlocked the tower first by killing the Naga.

So if you have a dev available they could maybe create a plugin that can use the same functionality.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, to expand on this, my big bullshit problem is inventory management. I don't know why so many folks playing modded MC are cool with just like a fuckpile of chests around their base, because every mod adds a billion items, but it drives me up a goddamn wall.

I'm playing FTB:Interactions right now, and it struck me that 'oh, hey, I need a bunch more of all this stuff...and I already have 9 double chests in my main storage room absolutely full, and about another 5 or 6 around my base.' I'm not even hoarding random poo poo, this is just like 'stuff I've collected while getting to LV'. I haven't even gotten started on the gregtech microcrafting yet.

I don't mind fiddling around with multiblocks, but boy howdy am I completely uninterested in the 'oh you'll get AE2 much later' problem. I'm either going to straight up cheat a pile of obsidian chests (which are hilariously expensive and lategame in here and represent a reasonable amount of storage), or just build myself a tiny AE2 system as a placeholder.

And all that, and this is EZMode Gregtech. I think it might be adult ADD or something rearing it's ugly head but I just lose all focus when I have to dig through a million chests to find things.

I am admin on a custom modpack, and we had one player rage quit when we added a few mods as we refused to change the AE2 config to disable channels and remove the meteors, Why do some people want to make everything a cakewalk?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

The point I was making (and really, just echoing) is that different players find different things 'bullshit' - the flip side here is that there's definitely stuff in your modpack that SOMEONE thinks is 'just an ez mode mod'.

For me, Inventory Management is just a huge pain in the rear end. I don't mind long exploration trips (like Patware mentioned disliking) if I know what I'm off to get, I don't mind working with finicky multiblocks, etc. I don't even really mind Gregtech style 'bits and bobs and pieces and parts'...as long as I'm not slowly filling up my base with millions of bullshit chests where I can't find anything. I totally see why some people would find those other things irritating.

But as far as I'm concerned? Remembering where you stored something is not like...a fun minigame. It's just dumb bullshit. Building an intelligent AE2 system is interesting, even building something super basic like a Simple Storage Network is rewarding, because there's some give and take and planning to do.

(I don't really mind channels to be honest, but I do think the meteors are pretty dumb and anti-fun. Channels are really only a pain when you're doing enormous crazy stuff and actually at that point I do kind of enjoy the logical challenge)

i did discover that rtp plugin uses the same RNG and so when you rtp you will always appear within 2 chunks of a meteor.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I miss the old and great packs, TPPI, Bteam, Infinity Evolved, Voltz, Hexxit

The most recent ok pack was Blightfall, and possibly Regrowth (although i hate the crops needing to be bred to 10/10/10)

We need a good modern story pack which has sensible progression and interesting storyline.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
WTF! in an earlier post, Gregtech Community Edition??

does that mean there is a pay per use edition?
isn't that contrary to EULA?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok i think that Development of mods is going to die soon,

Sponge has declared 1.12.2 is LTS API 7.

Forge has declared as soon as there is a Stable Build of 1.14 then 1.12.2 will be no longer supported and even their discord will refuse to assist developers who are not on the latest build.

This is stupid and is playing up to what Microsoft/Mojang are trying to do - break the will of the Mod Devs so they can shutter the java version going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have been for the last 5 years fighting with bukkit plugins that work on 1.2.5-1.7.10 but the network owner has been pushing for me to expand it to 1.12.2 and I have been struggling due to the huge changes, Now he has arranged a new more active dev to take over, but the dev is very toxic and takes every opportunity to denegrate me if i even just utter a word. I want to keep doing minecraft stuff but not in that toxic environment, Has anyone any suggestions what I can do?