Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Shukaro posted:

http://pastebin.com/aCQN2aS1 - Last Thread
Congratulations Serefina for this dubious honor
Goddammit. I clearly care too much about Minecraft. I need to go play something else for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

For what it's worth, thanks for the AE2 info last thread. I genuinely didn't know you could turn channels off in the config. I've glanced at it a few times, obviously not in enough detail, and never saw that. So thank you!
I did notice you can turn off power drain completely, which is what I do when I play a server with my friends not quite so used to the more complex mods. Having a central depository everyone can just stuff their items into every time they come back to base makes sorting storage and "hey, where did you guys put [item]" so much easier.
Eh, you're welcome? I was snarkier about it than necessary but I was a bit frustrated. I can get behind removing power drain for various reasons, though, for a little community system. Although for something like that I'd prefer to set up a little non-movable system with enough storage but fueled by a creative cell from TE, that way power is still on and people can also have their own AE networks with silly amounts of whatever elsewhere.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

mechaet posted:

:wtc: how did I end up #6???

I wanna know how I got nearly a hundred more than anyone else. Just... WTF. I don't remember posting that much!

(I may need an intervention)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Also, Runic Altars give out redstone signals based on status. IIRC, it's 1 when working, and 2 when it's ready to be whacked with the wand. It's pretty easy to automate, even with just Botania and vanilla.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

Will JABBA dollies work to move Storage Drawers, er, drawers?

For that matter, is there anything else for moving chests/etc. in Regrowth?

Dollies do move storage Drawers.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

So just as a heads up, I finally defended the other week and while I still have things going on, I made sure to take the time to gather up all the fixes and features and release some new versions.

So, lots of new things still in development, but the new elementals/fluids/etc are available, as well as the FluiVac and Flux Transfuser. Fun times.

If only I'd had the FluiVac last week... Ah, well.

Congrats, by the way. I saw that you'd finished with that recently via Twitter. Got your doctorate now?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I've been playing Garden of Glass. It's definitely very, very different from Ex Nihilo sky blocks, at least. The big stumbling points are a) don't lose all your grass, and b) build a mob room asap. You're limited on what you can do before you hit the Nether, as there's no way to get glass and some other materials before getting an Alchemical Focus for your mana pool, and you can't make more dirt until you get mushrooms from the Nether, too.

If you like Botania, it's a fun and interesting challenge. If you don't care for Botania, you'll probably think it aggravating. On the plus side, it works well with most mods. The Orechid (which has the recipe and mana cost toned waaaay down for Garden of Glass) spawns mod ores, too. Biggest weak point for mod support I've seen so far is no way to get rubber trees for MFR. Basically, if a mod relies on non-ore worldgen, you'll probably have to Minetweak in some recipes for things.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

This sounds interesting. Is there a modpack that uses it? Even just adding a small HQM book to it would be neat, for a few milestones to work towards.

As Garden of Glass was only just released the other day, no, not yet. I've considered putting together a small pack and some sort of book (I'm thinking more the achievement book type thing I've seen in a couple packs, instead of an HQM book). If I do, though, it'll be a small pack focused around working with just Botania rather than a crazy pack of everything under the sun.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

A pack focused around Botania sounds like it would be cool, even a skyblock one could be neat (Though probably boring like all skyblocks). But only Botania? Ehhh.

I probably worded that badly. It'd be focused around using Botania rather than having a million content mods. Stuff the compliments rather than replacing Botania the instant you get access to it.

As an example I'd have something to simplify Redstone because Botania autonation relies rather heavily on it and that's kind of a pain in the rear end, but having something like Project Red wiring would simplify the process immensely while still relying on Botania for the work.

With a skyblock you don't need to just do the most convenient thing all the time, particularly if it doesn't have Jadedcat's ridiculously grindy quests and love of starving people, so taking the time to learn and use Botania's automation (and it can automate most things) makes more sense.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

I sort of hate the ftb launcher to be honest.

Yeah, there's a good reason that the really popular packs on FTB tend to get mirrored on Technic by some of the people here.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Excellent. Added on top of that, CoFHTweaks seems to be pretty stable now, too.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Hey, mechaet - why does that pack have Baubles? Except for, maybe, the Forge Lexicon from Thermal Expansion, I don't really see anything else in the mod list that uses it?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

Fair enough! I'll whip up some more. ;)

It wasn't meant as criticism for you (but if you add some excellent baubles I will be extremely happy (can we please have an RF-based movement improver please?)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Minecraft Modding: Everyone's Obsessed With Blightfall

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

blightfall is pretty cool you should check it out :yaycloud:

Oh, I'm not knocking it, I'm just laughing that the last like three hundred posts on this thread are all about Blightfall. Personally, I don't intend to play it - I find some of the mechanics involved too frustrating and I'd rather continue work on my Botania skyblock world. No taint there.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

if i remember correctly it makes a bubble of air inside water

e: also, i found a flower on that floating lab island that lets me generate mana by absorbing explosions. i wonder what the easiest way to generate an explosion would be in blightfall.

That flower is hard-coded to only generate from vanilla TNT, for the record. But it generates a ton of mana - give it a spreader of its own, with a potency lens, right against a mana pool (highest tier spreader you can). It literally generates mana as fast as you can pump it into the pool. Be careful not to explode another TNT until it is 100% finished or the explosion will be ignored and will damage terrain instead.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
For those of you who don't want to do research, you can set the research to easy in the config and then give yourself a thousand of every aspect (/TC aspect name give 1000). Then you can just unlock things as as you want them.

This is the better method compared to the cheatonomicon, because you can leave warp enabled and not get slammed with maximum warp all at once. Drawback is you'll need to scan things to unlock some researches.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

You have to do that either at world creation, or turn on LAN with cheats enabled.

You can also change the world settings with NBTEditor and enable cheats. I'm not at home so I can't give the exact location for the line to change, though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magres posted:

And, honestly, I really cannot say that you can't do automated brewing with Botania, I just can't figure out how.

Look up the Botanical Brewery in the Lexica. It's Botania's answer to potions. It's easy and excellent.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

Garden of Glass again, how do I get my nether portal lit up? I can't make flint without an alchemy catalyst, and that needs blaze rods, which needs actual blazes from the actual nether, near as I can tell.

(edit) Am I gonna have to spawn another blaze and hope like hell he sets the portal on fire? :effort:

Make fire charges (from vanilla). Coal+gunpowder+blaze powder.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: Not sure why anyone would bother with putting capacitors on tinker pickaxes considering RF is one of the most expensive resources there is.

Wut?

No, seriously, wut?

RF production is pretty simple, and cheap, even without cross-mod insanity. A single piece of coal or charcoal generates thousands, and coal converted into liquidated coal generates significantly more. Lava is a simple power source, even without pumps (as long as you have Nether access, or can generate blaze rods)... And that's just Thermal Expansion. Other mods add tons of ways to generate RF, often without much hassle at all, or make existing ways even easier.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Zebrin posted:

Blightfall doesn't have any of the basic generators. There is no Coal->RF outside of using magic flowers.

Wait. Seriously? Thermal Expansion (which adds the flux capacitors) is in, but the dynamos are disabled? Is the only way to create RF the mana flux field or Big Reactors? What the hell's even the point of have TE at that point?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Blightfall: Everyone's Obsessed

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Looks like that's proceeding pretty well, then?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Oh? I wonder if slabs work too, then.

No. And if you hit them wrong it can instakill you.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

I'm having trouble with NEI. I'm using the latest version for 1.7.10, and it shows no items. The GUI is up just fine, but no items show up.

Most likely, one of the mods you have loaded is using the NEI API improperly, which breaks it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Oops!

http://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-3943

I'm curious to see whether this was intentional or not. Certainly breaks the hell out of modpacks for anyone using that infernal Curse Voice thing.

edit:(by the way, the fix for this is to just erase the launcher_profiles.json file in the install directory and allow the installer/game to rebuild it.)

It apparently wasn't intentional at all and a fix is already being worked on/implemented.

Also, I use Curse Voice for my own single-player custom modpack. Once I bludgeoned it into not asking for my social media stuff, it works quite well, making it very easy to build and keep a custom modpack up to date.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Hence the infernal part.

Not a fan of software mandated for ease of use when it requires me to spend the better part of an hour sifting through menu options, system logs, and router logs to get it the hell out of my business. If you want to feed me an ad, feed me an ad, but if you want to do anything other than launch and update the product I installed you to utilize -- then stay out of my social media accounts and the rest of my games library.

It took very little time for me to set up Curse Voice and you just have to decline the social media stuff once per service (which isn't exactly outrageous). Early on it would ask more than once but they've fixed that.

Taffer posted:

Anything that goes out of its way to get into your social media poo poo and feed you shitloads of advertising and god knows what can gently caress right off. There are several very good MC launchers without any of that poo poo. Technic, MultiMC, ATLauncher, etc. The only thing curse has for it is some popular modpacks that went exclusive to it, for whatever reason. Probably got a paycheck.

I don't know where you guys are getting this advertising thing. There aren't any in the launcher itself, only on the actual CurseForge webpages which can be blocked via the usual set of blockers on your browser. And like I said, you just have to decline the social media stuff once each, and it stops doing that. And none of the other launchers make it easy to maintain a custom, single-player pack for myself. Every other one I still have to gently caress around with moving files around and manually checking to see if stuff has updated or not, which is a pain in the rear end beyond a couple-dozen mods or so, and I would inevitably end up with a half-dozen or more that were several (useful) versions behind.

I maintain installs of Technic and FTB for published modpacks made and maintained by someone else. But I'm not actively using any of those right now.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Happy Big Fun posted:

On the other hand, it will want to start up with your computer and have itself running in the background all the time...probably cause of the chat feature and to check for updates.

Which is configurable in the settings, like, well, every other chat program in existence, and so not a big deal. It's got a nice quick startup from nothing, though, so it's not even a big deal to keep it disabled (unlike, say, Skype which takes for-friggin'-ever.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Just wait, it isn't live yet, but they already have the hooks in the beta code as well as a cache folder in which to presumably pre-load them. Thing is, I would find that sort of revenue stream preferable. When Platform went that route, it was non-intrusive and didn't feel entitled to help itself to a copy of my friends list.

Given the current UI design, I have no idea where they'll even put ads. As long as they're silent and don't get in the way, I don't mind having them there (small banners or sidebars or what-have-you). That's pretty much what I'm expecting to see, too, which is still a million times more preferable than all the ad.fly links and whatnot every mod author used to have.

But people are acting like the advertising is already there and that it's loud and pop-up-y and in the way and the Doom of All Things when they aren't even there yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

Just use MultiMC to make your mod pack its sooo easy.

MultiMC is easy, sure. But Curse Voice is easier. With MultiMC, you still have to make sure you snag all the dependencies for your mods, and you have to track updates yourself. Curse Voice will download dependencies for any mod you add automatically, and will show you when any mod is updated, and you can update with a single click.

On the whole, the easy of tracking updates makes it worthwhile, for me. With a large modpack, it was always virtually impossible for me to track them all, and I frequently missed updates, only to discover them later when I was a month or more (and three, four, or even more versions) out of date. Now, that doesn't happen.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Use hopperhocks instead of gather golem. More effective, less getting stuck.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, how long before everyone starts adding this to their packs?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mzbundifund posted:

Can't you do everything this mod does by just cheating in a creative Thaumonomicon and then setting your warp to 0 with the console?

You can - but that's a pain in the rear end when you're doing it on a server.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Blind Duke posted:

The commands also don't seem to work? Unlocking all the research in creative mode and using the commands for temp and perm warp leaves me taking various warp effects still

There are three kinds of warp, not two. So you have to run all three sets of commands.

/tc warp Serifina set 0
/tc warp Serifina set 0 temp
/tc warp Serifina set 0 perm

That clears it all.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

senae posted:

I think they only occur near the surface, so everyone's favourite mining depth of 12 fucks them over.

No, they occur anywhere regular certus can. Which I believe is down to y=20-ish. Mining depth of 12 still screws you, though.

I've also never had a problem finding charged quartz. By the time ice enough resources and infrastructure to do ANY, I usually have between 6 and 12 (compared to 2-4 stacks of regular certus).

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Basically this. Crafty crates are kind of a pain for most recipes, but if you want to craft single items, 2x2 items, or stuff like the compressed cobble recipes (aka 3x3), then crafty crates are great because they work as fast as you can pump things into them. Set the exact recipe type using the crafting patterns like in the gif (just right-click the crafting pattern on the crafty crate) and start pumping in stuff and you're golden.

I'm using it for auto-producing compressed cobble and stone bricks right now in the world I'm playing in (no AE2, no Thermal Expansion, so my auto-crafting options are basically the crafty crate or the Automagy golem workbench.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
My only request for a new food mod is please don't go too far overboard with how many new crops you add. HarvestCraft adds like 8 billion things and some of them are utterly worthless or we have 500 different versions of the same exact food. When you add a new crop or other new foodstuff, please just ask yourself if you can add a meaningful number of new, final food items with it, and not just one more variety of this food other items already make.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

BlueOccamy posted:

I downloaded that AS2 port just fine the other week, unfortunately it appears to be the same version of it that a goon here added to Technic ~5 months ago. I gave in and downloaded the Curse voice piece of poo poo so I could play the most recent version of AS2. I can't find where this fricking thing put the files though so I had to start a new map instead of using my other one. Anyone have any idea where the Curse thing put everything? I'm okay with the new map but I'd like to tweak a few config files and I can't find them :(

It's not hidden. Open the profile for AS2, then in the upper right, click the drop down menu, then click Open Folder.

If you open the Curse settings as well, and go to the Minecraft folder, you can define the exact path you want to use, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Bhodi posted:

I know the rough range of the hopperhock from previous experimentation, although even that one is problematic if you're automating things too close together, they can easily interfere with each other.

Decisions to deliberately obscure the working of a mod annoy me. No one wants to build something multiple times, each time finding out you're a block or two off or something doesn't work how you thought it did or you built something else too close nearby. Why some people continue to think that's a positive, not a negative, I'll never know.

The Manaseer Monocle shows the range of any flower you look at. If you have a recent version of Botania, you can also put the Wand of the Forest into Bind Mode and select the flower, which will force the range to be shown without looking at the flower.

Keep in mind that if the range is too big, you can make petite versions of a lot of the functional flowers, which reduce their range significantly.