Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

I was bored at work and wrote a quick script to evaluate Dandelifeon setups. And I think I found a good starting thing:

code:
-CCC
C---
C---
---F
F is the flower, C are the 5 starting cells, dashes are air. The shape is a grandparent of R-pentomino, which is famous for generating pure chaos for over a thousand generations before stablizing.

Over the 60 generations we get, this should "eat" 39 cells, with an average age-at-consumption of 42 generations, including 2 at generation 60. I'll try it out when I get home to see if my script is wrong.

i gave this a shot:

http://gfycat.com/PointlessBruisedHectorsdolphin

it generates mana so effectively that a gaia spreader cannot keep up

gonna try it again with a potency lens

e: trip report, potency lens increased the total yield by about 50% but it was still filling up the flower's internal buffer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
8th of a pool, that's pretty sweet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

with a potency lens:

pretty good for 16 cactus

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Serifina posted:

It apparently wasn't intentional at all and a fix is already being worked on/implemented.

Also, I use Curse Voice for my own single-player custom modpack. Once I bludgeoned it into not asking for my social media stuff, it works quite well, making it very easy to build and keep a custom modpack up to date.

Hence the infernal part.

Not a fan of software mandated for ease of use when it requires me to spend the better part of an hour sifting through menu options, system logs, and router logs to get it the hell out of my business. If you want to feed me an ad, feed me an ad, but if you want to do anything other than launch and update the product I installed you to utilize -- then stay out of my social media accounts and the rest of my games library.

At least the solution to fixing the multiple instances problem was simple once it became apparent what specifically had been changed (and how).

Been playing through the same Agrarian Skies 2 map off and on since May. I'd just gotten it to the point where it could autocraft salis mundus in bulk so I could get through the rest of the Thaumcraft tree when the issue hit. Was not thrilled when it suddenly decided that only my vanilla profile should exist, and started pointing to the wrong save directory.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I forget, does Ag Skies 2 use AE1 or AE2? I'm finally getting the hang of AE2 and remember Ag Skies 2 doing AE1 and don't want to relearn everything, but I want to give the map another whirl because I'm way better at automation than I used to be

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

I forget, does Ag Skies 2 use AE1 or AE2? I'm finally getting the hang of AE2 and remember Ag Skies 2 doing AE1 and don't want to relearn everything, but I want to give the map another whirl because I'm way better at automation than I used to be

it's ae2

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sweet, I ought to give that a whirl again then, I had a lot of fun climbing tech trees in it until I got cranky at the like 'submit 100k wood' quests because I was garbage at automating poo poo

Speaking of which, anyone know of any way to autocraft Infusion Rituals? I feel like there has to be some way to do it but I have no idea how.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 9, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

It apparently wasn't intentional at all and a fix is already being worked on/implemented.

Also, I use Curse Voice for my own single-player custom modpack. Once I bludgeoned it into not asking for my social media stuff, it works quite well, making it very easy to build and keep a custom modpack up to date.

Anything that goes out of its way to get into your social media poo poo and feed you shitloads of advertising and god knows what can gently caress right off. There are several very good MC launchers without any of that poo poo. Technic, MultiMC, ATLauncher, etc. The only thing curse has for it is some popular modpacks that went exclusive to it, for whatever reason. Probably got a paycheck.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Glory of Arioch posted:

i gave this a shot:

e: trip report, potency lens increased the total yield by about 50% but it was still filling up the flower's internal buffer :v:
Vazkii said that the numbers aren't balanced at all, she's waiting to see what patterns people come up with before giving it a tuning pass.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Hence the infernal part.

Not a fan of software mandated for ease of use when it requires me to spend the better part of an hour sifting through menu options, system logs, and router logs to get it the hell out of my business. If you want to feed me an ad, feed me an ad, but if you want to do anything other than launch and update the product I installed you to utilize -- then stay out of my social media accounts and the rest of my games library.

It took very little time for me to set up Curse Voice and you just have to decline the social media stuff once per service (which isn't exactly outrageous). Early on it would ask more than once but they've fixed that.

Taffer posted:

Anything that goes out of its way to get into your social media poo poo and feed you shitloads of advertising and god knows what can gently caress right off. There are several very good MC launchers without any of that poo poo. Technic, MultiMC, ATLauncher, etc. The only thing curse has for it is some popular modpacks that went exclusive to it, for whatever reason. Probably got a paycheck.

I don't know where you guys are getting this advertising thing. There aren't any in the launcher itself, only on the actual CurseForge webpages which can be blocked via the usual set of blockers on your browser. And like I said, you just have to decline the social media stuff once each, and it stops doing that. And none of the other launchers make it easy to maintain a custom, single-player pack for myself. Every other one I still have to gently caress around with moving files around and manually checking to see if stuff has updated or not, which is a pain in the rear end beyond a couple-dozen mods or so, and I would inevitably end up with a half-dozen or more that were several (useful) versions behind.

I maintain installs of Technic and FTB for published modpacks made and maintained by someone else. But I'm not actively using any of those right now.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Serifina posted:

And none of the other launchers make it easy to maintain a custom, single-player pack for myself.

Agreed. My friend and I made a modpack by simply selecting the mods we wanted and editing a JSON file.

Technic Launcher is awesome, too, but it's not as simple to create a modpack for it compared to the new Curse Voice client.

On the other hand, it will want to start up with your computer and have itself running in the background all the time...probably cause of the chat feature and to check for updates.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Happy Big Fun posted:

On the other hand, it will want to start up with your computer and have itself running in the background all the time...probably cause of the chat feature and to check for updates.

Which is configurable in the settings, like, well, every other chat program in existence, and so not a big deal. It's got a nice quick startup from nothing, though, so it's not even a big deal to keep it disabled (unlike, say, Skype which takes for-friggin'-ever.)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Okay, so I got home, grabbed the latest version of Botania, and tried my design, and... it collapses without giving any mana. As best I can tell, the current version not only blocks age-0 cells from being in the 5x5 death box, but also age 1 cells. So crucial parts of the system get insta-deleted.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

Okay, so I got home, grabbed the latest version of Botania, and tried my design, and... it collapses without giving any mana. As best I can tell, the current version not only blocks age-0 cells from being in the 5x5 death box, but also age 1 cells. So crucial parts of the system get insta-deleted.

oof, yeah, I did it with a copy of botania that was one version behind

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Serifina posted:

I don't know where you guys are getting this advertising thing.

Just wait, it isn't live yet, but they already have the hooks in the beta code as well as a cache folder in which to presumably pre-load them. Thing is, I would find that sort of revenue stream preferable. When Platform went that route, it was non-intrusive and didn't feel entitled to help itself to a copy of my friends list.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EricFate posted:

Just wait, it isn't live yet, but they already have the hooks in the beta code as well as a cache folder in which to presumably pre-load them. Thing is, I would find that sort of revenue stream preferable. When Platform went that route, it was non-intrusive and didn't feel entitled to help itself to a copy of my friends list.

Given the current UI design, I have no idea where they'll even put ads. As long as they're silent and don't get in the way, I don't mind having them there (small banners or sidebars or what-have-you). That's pretty much what I'm expecting to see, too, which is still a million times more preferable than all the ad.fly links and whatnot every mod author used to have.

But people are acting like the advertising is already there and that it's loud and pop-up-y and in the way and the Doom of All Things when they aren't even there yet.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Won't get a chance to play for a while, but what about a setup like:

code:
oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o   o o   o o   o o   o

o   o o   o o   o o   o
oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o   o o   o o   o o   o

o   o o         o o   o
oo oo oo  xxxxxoo oo oo
          xxxxx
oo oo oo  xxXxxoo oo oo
o   o o   xxxxx o o   o
          xxxxx
o   o o   o o   o o   o
oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o   o o   o o   o o   o

o   o o   o o   o o   o
oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
Where the o's represent where cells are placed by rannuncarpus'
Place block breaker/hopperhock combinations to harvest the missing piece from each tetromino, and you have 180-240 cells that last a full 60 growth periods in a self-sustaining way

However, that might be unstable, especially if the block breakers don't all activate at the same time. You can space the tetrominos out a little more to avoid this:
code:

oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo
 o    o  o     o  o    o              

o    o  o     o  o    o
 oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo                   

oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo 
 o    o  oxxxxxo  o    o
          xxxxx       
          xxXxx 
          xxxxx 
 o    o  oxxxxxo  o    o
 oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo

oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo
 o    o  o     o  o    o

o    o  o     o  o    o
 oo  oo  oo   oo  oo  oo
Should be stable regardless, giving you 108-144 cells that get eaten at an age of 60

Possibly use the second configuration as a cell producer, and the first configuration as a cell consumer

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ducttape posted:

Won't get a chance to play for a while, but what about a setup like:

(snip)

Where the o's represent where cells are placed by rannuncarpus'
Place block breaker/hopperhock combinations to harvest the missing piece from each tetromino, and you have 180-240 cells that last a full 60 growth periods in a self-sustaining way

However, that might be unstable, especially if the block breakers don't all activate at the same time. You can space the tetrominos out a little more to avoid this:

(snip)

Should be stable regardless, giving you 108-144 cells that get eaten at an age of 60

Possibly use the second configuration as a cell producer, and the first configuration as a cell consumer

Um, I think you're misunderstanding how it works. The only cells that get eaten and produce power are those that hit the 3x3 area around the flower. Also, unless you have a very large cactus farm you probably don't want to be placing that many blocks.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Technic platform peeps, there seems to be a bug where if the pack is unavailable, the pack page throws an error that you guys claim to own.

Using omp-I for reference.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Technic platform peeps, there seems to be a bug where if the pack is unavailable, the pack page throws an error that you guys claim to own.

Using omp-I for reference.

Admittedly, not their fault here. The server that ompi's solder install is on is suspended because I'm stuck broke till work pays me due to my previous landlord playing keepsies with my deposit and ignoring calls.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

i gave this a shot:

Well you could always pulse the redstone to allow delay between each step on the conway thing, to give stuff a chance to catch up

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Nolanar posted:

5x5 is the starting kill zone 3x3 is the mana genning zone. i think the idea is you get it to move into the flower to get mana

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Happy Big Fun posted:

Agreed. My friend and I made a modpack by simply selecting the mods we wanted and editing a JSON file.

Technic Launcher is awesome, too, but it's not as simple to create a modpack for it compared to the new Curse Voice client.

Just use MultiMC to make your mod pack its sooo easy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Clairetic posted:

Akliz seems to be the one big sponsor of Technic and the one everyone uses. There are others of course, idk if they'd be cheaper or better.

Magres posted:

Works for me! Thank you

But... our sponsor is Apex.... :negative:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
rip

On the bright side, I haven't actually rented anything yet, and Apex is cheaper for the RAM

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

30.5 Days posted:

But... our sponsor is Apex.... :negative:

well poo poo. I done hosed up

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

Just use MultiMC to make your mod pack its sooo easy.

MultiMC is easy, sure. But Curse Voice is easier. With MultiMC, you still have to make sure you snag all the dependencies for your mods, and you have to track updates yourself. Curse Voice will download dependencies for any mod you add automatically, and will show you when any mod is updated, and you can update with a single click.

On the whole, the easy of tracking updates makes it worthwhile, for me. With a large modpack, it was always virtually impossible for me to track them all, and I frequently missed updates, only to discover them later when I was a month or more (and three, four, or even more versions) out of date. Now, that doesn't happen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i got a wacky idea for the dandelifeon

run a single tick of the simulation with the following:

code:
---oo----
---oo----
oo=====--
oo=xxx=--
--=xFx=--
--=xxx=--
--=====--
---------
---------
the idea being that you generate a cell with generation 1

then you use pistons underneath the playing board to break all cells but the ones in the following pattern (and add more if needed):

code:
---------
--ooo----
-o=====--
-o=xxx=--
--=xFx=--
--=xxx=--
--=====--
---------
---------
and then the gen 1 cells will guarantee that anything in the "=" exclusion zone can live, letting this or any design based on having cells near the exclusion zone work

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
e:nm

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
For efficiency's sake you could leave out furthest-most corners of each square. Executing a step would fill those corners in and then they'd be destroyed anyway according to your second diagram.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Going back to Blightfall for a second, I've hit a bug that's starting to get in the way:

The quests for requesting saplings and seeds are uncompleteable. They don't list a cooldown, and the Claim Reward button is greyed out. How can I un-stick these quests so I can resume getting my saplings?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BrightGreenLine posted:

Going back to Blightfall for a second, I've hit a bug that's starting to get in the way:

The quests for requesting saplings and seeds are uncompleteable. They don't list a cooldown, and the Claim Reward button is greyed out. How can I un-stick these quests so I can resume getting my saplings?

There's a dedicated blightfall thread but what most likely happened is your reputation is in the shitter

did you die a bunch and/or requisition a bunch of crap

if so then you need to get to work making bread for one of the colonist repeatable quests to get out of the doghouse

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Okay, back from the drawing board for dandelifeon setups. This is the most efficient one I've found from playing around a little. Like that first design I posted, it's a "set and forget" style. No breaking or adding blocks mid run.

Our old friend R-pentomino. More than two in this formation neatly cancels the others out and nets you gently caress all for mana.

It's easiest to measure the location from the borders, rather than from the center, given how far out they are. They're rotationally symmetric around the flower.

Yield from one run. It does pretty well for itself.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

So I learned a thing about paving stones of warding today.

The reason they block mobs from pathing is because they create a 2x1 column of blocks directly above them that only collide for mobs (not players). Which means mobs can walk on them.

this wasn't what i wanted

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ptroll posted:

So I learned a thing about paving stones of warding today.

The reason they block mobs from pathing is because they create a 2x1 column of blocks directly above them that only collide for mobs (not players). Which means mobs can walk on them.

this wasn't what i wanted

That'd be super cool if you somehow made use of that. Actually, in a mana bean farm, I almost always want to hang my beans too high for my golems to reach (the ceiling is uncomfortably low otherwise) so I might coat one in warding stones so my golems can reach

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Magres posted:

That'd be super cool if you somehow made use of that. Actually, in a mana bean farm, I almost always want to hang my beans too high for my golems to reach (the ceiling is uncomfortably low otherwise) so I might coat one in warding stones so my golems can reach

Yeah, it's interesting. Means you could do neat stuff like make a moat of lava (or the fluid of your choice) with paving stones underneath that your golems can pass over unscathed. We figured it out because of that one little block on the left-- he would hop up on that, glitch out a little, then cruise above the pavers.

You can also see an errant rednet cable hooking up to nothing on the right there.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm having an issue with my grass blocks, short grass, and oak leaves not taking on the biome color from other mods like magical forest and taint land and stuff. I can't seem to figure out what's preventing it. With default biomes it seems to work just fine, but within mod-biomes it reverts to some default-green color.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Golem pathing is both amazing and infuriating. I've had to stop using gather golems simply due to their stubborn persistence in trying to get places they should never ever go in order to pick up things that I have no interest in saving. The worst was the golem I set to take care of my redstone/enderpearl farm. He spent 85% of his time trying to get into the adjacent squid tank. Apparently there was some ink floating around in there. Eventually he managed to get in there, and in doing so, could no longer path back to the farm.

I eventually got rid of all my gather golems to go with harvest golems and transfer nodes.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Yeah... if you right click on a gather golem with an empty hand you should get a GUI to pop up letting you tell it what to grab. Mine kept taking poo poo from my mana pools until I figured that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
They just want to help :(

Golems are just really enthusiastic