Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Serifina posted:

Goddammit. I clearly care too much about Minecraft. I need to go play something else for a few months.

:wtc: how did I end up #6???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

mechanicalFactory posted:

So, any else encounter something weird with Factorization? Because uh :stare:

I found this thing in a RFTools generated world. It was a completely immobile structure until I broke a block on it, then it started moving around.
Its name was constantly distorting, and the mined away blocks were "Colossal" blocks.
It fell apart after I broke all of the broken blocks on its body, and gave me logic matrix's and a programmer after it finally collapsed.
EDIT
The modpack I was using was Modderation: Permabanned Edition

That is the new Factorization method of giving you logic matrices, programmers, etc. It's a Factorization Colossus.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

BlueOccamy posted:

The Agrarian Skies 2 says there is an update available when I start it through the Technic Launcher. Should I try to fiddle with the other launcher or wait for it to be updated on the Technic site?

I haven't updated because the update trashes your progress and we're soclose to finishing all the quests on my AgSk2 server.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have a good replacement for XACT crafting? It was this little blueprint thing that hooked up into NEI and would let me craft things straight from the blueprint.

e: NEI tends not to work for whatever reason, it also stopped items from falling out of the crafting table.

Cyclic assemblers are nice.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

wylker posted:

So episode 1 of what I hope will be an epic project has been uploaded. This will be a series recorded from the different perspectives of 4 teams, playing the blightfall modpack.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlWyOL5M8A

Awesome. I love watching your series.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Update to 2.2.2_1FC, this is an issue with the old version of COFHTweaks we use, it's not useful for everyone. The FC variant adds fastcraft back in until i can get the newer version to work with our stuff.

I've also given up for the time being on CoFHTweaks, because it doesn't let Minecraft finish launching, and just sits there trying to initialize. Remove CoFHTweaks and suddenly minecraft launches.

Went with FastCraft instead.

Edit: Yes, there's a bug filed on this; you guys closed it as a Forge issue. Oddly enough CoFHTweaks was the only mod I removed and suddenly everything works.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

GregTech has gotten so bad it creates issues with mods in modpacks that don't even include it.

https://github.com/CoFH/Feedback/issues/574

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Pretty easy answer then, it's 1.7.10 and Cauldron. Unless you want no Bukkit plugins and absolutely poo poo TPS you can't remove Cauldron, and well, 1.7.10.

Goddamn this version has lasted way too long.

Not a problem we experience on our AgSkies2 server or on Modderation Official. I suspect the modpack may be at fault here.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah but you still end up with just lots of interfaces for just a few patterns each. I liked in the old version how you could dedicate a page to having every recipe from a mod, or like all the different color variant lights from project red, for example.

Obviously AE2 is more geared towards lots of small networks/subnetworks instead of one big one. I certainly wouldn't complain if Extra Cells or something added in a "pattern storage" super-interface or something.

Interface terminals solve this problem.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

I'd like to announce Modderation: FYAD Edition as an addition to the Modderation series of modpacks.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Streamlined tech and magic trees, and made it more laptop-friendly.

Server post in PGS coming soon(tm)

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

It's one of the few mods that actually integrates building into its progression and function, as opposed to the usual "advancement" of crafting a series of increasingly expensive blocks and tossing them into a room.

This is exactly why I chose it over Thaumcraft or Botania.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

bigperm posted:

Awesome. Can't wait.

Is the server going to be a fresh map?

The only thing keeping me from playing Modderation right now is that my computer can only juuuuust play it.

Fresh map.

"Latest" branch instead of the default "Recommended" branch contains fastcraft which makes it run fairly well on a laptop.

quote:

EDIT:

SGCraft and ChickenBones wireless redstone are redundant with RFtools.
SGCraft makes new custom dimensions? News to me. I mostly left SGCraft in for base-to-base teleportation that doesn't look like a terrible copy of Star Trek transporters. It allows for teleportation without looking terrible doing so.

quote:

And Forestry? :bahgawd: I'd rather have buildcraft if I had to pick one of the lovely 3.

Buildcraft introduces very terribly-coded pipe systems into the pack, something I didn't even tolerate in Permabanned which had Mek pipes in it.

Also, mass-mining is the debbil.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't have bloody loving TiCon :worship:

The selection process was prioritized in this order:

Least laggy
Most inclusive
Least redundant
Slower progression by default

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

It's the only mod that does what it does, and doesn't duplicate a bunch of stuff in the process. Automatic win for this round of selection.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Serifina posted:

Hey, mechaet - why does that pack have Baubles? Except for, maybe, the Forge Lexicon from Thermal Expansion, I don't really see anything else in the mod list that uses it?

Mostly for the extra inventory slots.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

tl;dr - the guy's daughter was born premature with some fairly serious issues. I would imagine Minecraft is pretty low on his priority list right now.

So instead of a version that has active development and is full-featured, you'd rather I choose the lesser one that isn't being updated.

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter and will consider them accordingly.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

For me, partly its tendency to overrun every other mod that provides tools and make them less interesting/pointful to pursue; mostly it's that I see it all the time and I am tired as hell of seeing it :v:

That's pretty much my take on it, too. Aside from that, I already have super-powered tooling being provided by ProjectE.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

Is OMP stable? I want to finally find something that can replace Tekkit for me.

I really liked EE's mechanic of converting mass to energy to other types of mass for getting building materials

Then you'll love Modderation FYAD.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Carados posted:

I really wish that the crash logs were more readable. I could fix this problem, but it's an incomprehensible mass, so instead I get to abandon my 80% done Clouds of Darkness world.

Pastebin the crash report, someone here will help you sort it out.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

AnimalChin posted:

Bukkit is unobtainable (dmca takedown) and outdated.

Funny. Google says otherwise.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Modd:FYAD did not have it and it has drastically faster FPS, the same as BFSR as far as I can tell. For all I know the first world in FYAD had poo poo near it that made it run slower, but wow, this is night and day.

If you switch the modpack options to run the "Latest" version instead of recommended it will be the Recommended version with Fastcraft. If you thought FYAD was fast before, prepare to be amazed.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

ABCD EFGHI JFA
BKLM BKNNMJMI
COABFDM OFFH
EKQRFJSMQD BKI
DCRNHT
KUUMNAMI RT
ECDIFR

First-come-first-served symbol-to-character translation. Now to crack the code?

THIS WOULD NOT
HAVE HAPPENED
IF THOSE FOOL
WARMONGERS HAD
SIMPLY
ACCEPTED MY
WISDOM

mechaet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2015

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Dragomorph posted:

Okay so, uh, new modding question: Any modpacks that work on a 32-bit operating system? Or am I just going to have to upgrade to a 64-bit? Note that the processor could handle it, but I'm not sure about the rest of the computer.

Modderation FYAD should work.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

Then what do we like for 1.7?

Edit: Seems like Modderation, OMPi, and Progress haven't gotten updates in quite awhile.

I've been super-busy with my business, and have been slacking pretty hard on Modderation updates.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

AE2 is good but I think it would have been easier to put AE1 instead it would have made it a lot easier

... I can't even.

AE2 is way easier than 1, unless you like stringing cables willy-nilly without having to put thought into it.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should be fine if I can change the conversion just for smelteries, right? If I understand correctly, there isn't really an exploit here, unless there's something clever they can do with liquid yellorium. I'm not worried about a exploit loop in BFSR, but if that's why this isn't done in other mod packs, then I don't want to get newcomers into a habit that is invalid in the larger world.

You can't pipe out from a reactor to make 9x ingots from one ingot?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Been playing the latest iteration of Ompi for a few days, and while it's quite fun with all the new mods, any mob wearing anything more than iron armor is completely invincible except to Ticon rapiers. Any idea which mod in this list is causing this behavior? I made a Lumium crossbow a few minutes ago, 13 heart attack with Manyullyn bolts, and it does not damage Crimson cult knights at all. In fact, it heals them. Nor zombies wearing osmium or glowstone armor. They're also immune to my 10 heart cleaver.

Edit: Also, NEI item subsets are all greyed out and unclickable. NEI works fine, and I tried reinstalling the pack but did not help. Everyone on the server seems to be having this problem.

Certainly sounds like an OMPi pack.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

AFAIK you need a chunk loader. I distinctly remember all the little programs I wrote going to hell when I walked away from them. IIRC it will launch startup in the root by default when the chunk is reloaded. So you can have it start your script up in there. For maximum robustness, you'd want to make the script something like a loop whose state is saved early and often, and it just works off of that state. So that way, it can resume in the middle of some complex calculation without much harm. I did not try it too much, but if you can run your stuff as coroutines, and just raw serialize all that state to disk, you'll probably be safe without having to really declare special data structures.

Pretty much the exact thinking that EZ-Nuke takes.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.

If he hasn't yet, maybe he should. I tried to care about what Taffer had to say on the subject of Minecraft, but most of it is so wrong-headed I can't even.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Uh oh--here it comes!

Time to prepare your ~vision~

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Apparently 1.11 is out?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

No idea why the 1.10 and 1.11 packs are "unofficial", you are at least half of the team that had NST running before ;)

Downloading Exploration to check it out.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

lolmer posted:

I don't know who "owns" the "NST" name to ask their permission (to be nice ;))

Gimmick name based off of the pack that started this series (Toast) and one of the most oft-repeated phrases here ("never stop posting"). I don't really claim anything beyond the cleverness to combine the two, and that ain't much.

I'm still debating how far I want to dip my toe back in, but willing to run a server for Exploration at least.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I literally can't get started in COTT. I get wiped out in the first few days by dogs, bears, or endless zombies.

I tried to pole into the air and skyblock it, but scout dragons keep wrecking me. I dig into a wall and build the blueprint house there, but mobs dig into my area and eat me. I've tried the island strat, but these creeper fish blow me to hell when I get close to the water's edge.

Maybe this pack isn't for me

Good lord, this sounds absolutely greggy.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Weltlich posted:

So we're troubleshooting the modpack we are trying to build, and it's running good at times, and super laggy at other times. It'll be going along fine then we'll get a period where it skips ticks like crazy:

<snip>
It's also throwing these errors, during those laggy periods:
<snip>
Edit: Does anyone have any clue what any of this means?

Your storage system is lagging, hard.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

<snip effortpost>

Okay, I think I get all of that. Trick is to balance power usage and field strength in order to keep heat below 8000 so things don't go kaboom.

Thanks for explaining that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

I... wouldn't hate that :negative:

Like for real, imagine having a wiring minigame that you can jump into and make the machine work better whenever you want, as you build components. It wouldn't be fun on every playthrough but that first playthrough? poo poo would be dope.

Speaking of multiple playthroughs, I'm glad I took a bit of a break because I'm actually really enjoying Sky Factory 4 right now, and I'm sorrrrta seeing the point in the prestige system (although I'm not actually playing with it). Like, you play through until you get a point to allow for Hopping Bonsais to be unlocked, then you quickly reset and start again but now you can automate saplings (where resources come from). Reset again and get access to vein miner and hopping bonsais, etc. It kinda fills a void for people like me who find the early stages of a new resource system to be the funnest part. I don't have the time to commit to restarting over and over, but if I did I'd probably play with prestige enabled.

e: Wait, prestige doesn't necessitate restarting - it's just a means of unlocking New Tools. Now I'm confused all over again by the system

We turned off prestige mode in the server, it seemed like an unnecessary complication. However, we're using the Compact Machines map, so you're constrained by space until you complete challenges to get access to larger and larger compact machine rooms. It's pretty fun so far, and hopping bonsais are the best feature.