Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Nether bloodtrees generate redstone dust and have a very unique spawn condition

but the wood is atrocious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

The point with the painting machine is that you can make them look like pretty much any block you want.

Carpenter blocks probably has a similar trick somewhere.

Right-clicking them with a glowstone dust in hand makes them emit max light

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If Void Jars just dumped the extra essentia as Flux into the same place in the Nether and created a new nether-only biome that is Taint 2.0 dangerous containing new treasures that would be cool

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When I played Blightfall the concept of the world being hostile was neat, but digging for ores in caves was a pain because the taint covered the ores. Something like a throw able potion that clears crusted taint in an area temporarily would be handy

just anything in the somewhat early game allowing me to climb up a little easier

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

The little silver flowers worked well enough for that once you go exploring a bit, unless they changed that. Just drop a few down and come back in a bit.

It's hard to judge where the caves are underground when I place the flowers

they also take a while and are a somewhat permanent solution. I just want to clear some crust away for a little bit to see if that's an ore I want or not

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a new player in town talking the cubic chunks game

I have no idea how well it works, but it's not on Curse and boasts using a different mod loader so here's hoping it causes some changes in the modding community

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

lolmer posted:

FYI, you server owners might want to ban hellowrold (and any of his/her associates) before they do this to your server as well.

Add the username Bearon to the list, just had a minor incident on the OMP-i server too

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Or find some iron in a roguelike dungeon, that's how I always start off in these packs

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a Botania skyblock thing going around that seems decent, but that all depends on how much you can stand Botania

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I kinda like the rail parts of Railcraft

if only I didn't have to deal with actually making them

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Those backpacks are the only ones that will replace stuff in your hotbar if it gets too low. The other backpack mod that advertised doing that has the problem of only restocking when you pick up an item. So if you are not paying attention you will use up all the blocks in a stack and have to go into the backpack to set it back in your hotbar.

It's infuriating that nobody else has gotten that right yet

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Taffer posted:

Because that method requires checking every backpack on every player every tick, and it's unnecessarily laggy. Just use invtweaks to restock.

Iron backpacks does everything else forestry backpacks do, except way better, and you don't need bees to make the good ones.

There's no way that a method for checking if you are using the last block in a stack doesn't exist outside of on tick events, I refuse to accept that it's that badly programmed

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

bigperm posted:

The auto refilling stuff is dumb, I think. If you're building something how hard it is to just put a few stack in your hotbar? I usually turn it off from inventory tweaks just because it bugs out so much.

When building I want to keep a variety of blocks in my hotbar without messing around with my inventory every few moments. For a game about placing blocks there's a lack of refinement to the whole ordeal

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Just been trying out the new HQM packs on the FTB server (so you don't have to). Refuge is boring and grindy, with a hint of an interesting idea that it never follows through on. Obscurity is just insanely, brokenly, unfairly difficult. Void World's blurb is so badly written that I couldn't bring myself to try it. Going to go try Hubris now, although I'm predicting a cheap knockoff of Blightfall.

Summary - all poo poo, don't bother. I wonder if Blast Off is in a playable state yet.

Blast Off isn't even a playable concept

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
From what I remember a hell of a lot less grindy than any other skyblock-style map, although the food system irritates me. Gotta eat every few minutes and diminishing returns start fast. I would like to eat something more than three times before it becomes useless.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
For a while I thought the intended method of playing this pack was going to be growing a redwood for shelter and doing what you could within it before it rots around you and you have to build another base

which I responded internally with 'you sons of bitches' and also 'alright that is pretty ridiculous and I dig it'

same response I gave when I read why you can't craft vanilla tools in the first Blightfall

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Final endgame is building a teleporter back to the ship to clear it of Taint

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I really appreciate this pack justifying not exploiting all resources or building vanilla tools with administrative pride and bureaucracy

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's also some thaumcraft goodies in the middle of the bay

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Kill animals that spawn for meat, fill yourself up real well using that

use the anti-corruption plants to clean the islands of the Swamp Delta for massive animal spawns

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Turns out saying nuts to the biodomes and just reclaiming the Swamp Delta works out fine as a base. Just shuffle the ethereal blooms around until the first island is cleaned, then scoop up extras from the scouting locations to work on the other islands

there's going to be errant corners that get infected due to caves underground, but that's what the few pure daisies you get from exploring are for

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I found a Botania flower in an underwater secret called the Bubbell

nothing online references it, the ingame guide doesn't either. Any idea what the heck it is?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

I saw the thaumcraft tree house and decided to try it out too. Props to whoever made the one on the map, this is really tough stuff to get right

my plan is to put small botania setups on the various mushrooms, but getting grass on them and keeping them looking nice is proving to be tricky. Maybe I just need more mushrooms and try to cram Thaumcraft stuff on them as well

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When you find the zombie dungeon in the second swamp island all zombie flesh concerns are ended

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Small fix for whenever you get around to making another patch, you need four darkwood saplings to make a tree. Just giving one means you have to get lucky three more times to start growing darkwoods

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

McFrugal posted:

I grew a darkwood just fine with one sapling.

Dark Oak! I knew I did something wrong when I made that post

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
How are you supposed to get nether shards? I tried eating a bunch in the mini hell biome and I'm getting no gluttony shards. I'm assuming there's a way of duplicating them considering all the single shards laying around

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
What is with this staff nonsense

Scepters are the way of the future, keep that poo poo in an arcane worktable somewhere

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I have just one pure daisy, can I make floral fertilizer from it? The impression I got from the guide that 1 flower becomes 2 petals becomes 2 floral powder, but I need 4 floral powder.

You can bonemeal a flower to make a double height flower. It can only be harvested with shears at this point, hitting it drops nothing. The double height flower doubles the petals

this is going to kill whatever bonemeal reserves you had

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Gettin' real tired of these interminable load times, Minecraft. I mean, I don't know what you're doing, but loading isn't it.

If you mean the startup load with the white screen and load bar at the bottom apparently there's a rendering memory leak with that screen. Use the minimize button on the top right of the window to prevent your computer from rendering it, which makes it load in like a minute

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Blightfall: Shrek Strats

the swamp is an amazing start location

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The compact high-power version of flowers will be trees and we will have found the root of all modder hissy fits

it was trees all along!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Big Trees not only passively create mana, they also generated completed research notes with their bark and paying a resource cost will attract bees of specific stats you want without breeding. Gnome houses you attach will automatically mine resources from the ether like mining lasers and granting said gnomes dynamos will force them to work inside like a sentient hamster wheel.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Gnomes inside the trees will pull cranks for Rotarycraft systems without needing lubricant

attaching computer systems to the tree roots lets the gnomes upload unapproved modpacks to third party sites without the consent of the mod maker

servers running the trees will be incapable of also running a cash shop for actual money

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
As a legit mod big trees does sound cool, I also like the idea of a mod being a straight gently caress You to as many mod progression paths as possible

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Hi, some stuff happened:

- We like Discord a lot (too much?!?!) http://www.technicpack.net/article/we-love-discord.125
- Tekkit Legends is out! http://www.technicpack.net/legends

If a chat program in Minecraft doesn't sneak into checking my steam friends list without my permission and false flag as a virus I don't think it's worth using buddy

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

Hey, all - I've enjoyed playing Blightfall for a while; do you guys have any recommendations on other story-driven / quest-driven mods?

In general, I like Minecraft, but eventually the "create your own objective" part leaves me cold, so anything that could give me a series of goals or a large, well-designed overall goal would be awesome.

In theory Crash Landing is nice, but you may want to tweak the settings on the survival mod that requires thirst. Man is that obnoxious.

Otherwise tooling around the desert raiding cities for their loot is rather cool of a concept

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The commands also don't seem to work? Unlocking all the research in creative mode and using the commands for temp and perm warp leaves me taking various warp effects still

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I thought not specifying would default to temporary warp

what the hell is the default, sticky for some ungodly reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Crash Landing had a super cool idea with the randomly generated ruins you could raid

held back by a terrible tedious survival system that was somehow scaled back, making me question the madman that made the vanilla configs for that mod