Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why you gotta hate on the ATLauncher. MadPack and Resonant Rise are both pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What specific runtime strings would you recommend? I've tried several different ones and they had a negligible effect on performance. I can get used to 1.7 as long as I don't boot up any 1.6 packs for a few days, but if I dip back into 1.6 to play my old Agrarian Skies 1 map or something it's staggering how much worse 1.7 runs across the board.

The FPS counter will tell me it's running at a stable 150 in 1.7, but it's a stuttery mess any time I look around or move. It's a mess I can get used to and convince myself isn't a problem after a few hours, but it's not even remotely close to the wonderfully fluid 144 fps I got in every single 1.6 modpack. I have a GTX 970 and an i5-4690k, so it's not a system requirements issue.
if the pack has journeymap and a million other mods (including fastcraft) try removing journeymap and seeing what happens. I have a similar system and journeymap tanks my fps from like 200 down to 5-20.

If you want to have journeymap enabled you need to disable caves, and go into the advanced options and raise every delay by a ton for whatever reason. Even then, sometimes it will cause minecraft to run at 0-1 fps while you explore. And it will definitely tank your fps down to like 40-50 if you have a base and mine out a ton of stuff near it even with caves off. Like if you're in the same base for 40-80 hours journeymap alone will wreck your fps. It won't be the machines you built, it will just be that dumb minimap mod.

People always say it's the webmap, but webmap on or off doesn't impact my fps at all. I can literally run a 200+ mod server for 4 people + minecraft on my computer and get relatively normal fps in minecraft, but if I have journeymap on and no server we're going down to single digits eventually.

I like journeymap's functionality, but until that is fixed I just remove it from any pack that has it as soon as I find somewhere I want to build a base at. It might just have a bad interaction with one of the more popular mods, but it has happened to me in a ton of different mod packs. For whatever reason it just goes nuts and dominates my cpu.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 30, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Threep posted:

There's a beta Journeymap that's supposed to be much more optimized.
Nice. It seems like a well thought out mod that doesn't have the annoying anti-features of the other popular minimap mods. I've never had any issues with it beyond the inevitably taking a chainsaw to my fps thing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

I think it was me, I play on a server and was told that all meteors had been cleared and raided, followed my rules with the compass, first small meteor gave me calculation press
second about 100m away gave me logic, silicon, engineering press and about 200 skystone
Meteors not having all of the presses is one the worst things in modded minecraft that I've encountered since I started playing modded mc in 1.4.x. I like the terrain generation aspect of meteors, I don't mind the material being used for things (it's pretty much not though), but having a loot chest in the middle with necessary things is dreadful.

And I play hard mode gregtech packs sometimes.

I don't understand why it's a thing, and if it is on my own server it is the only time I've ever cheated something in. Well, in baby's first space race I cheated in a rubber sapling because I explored 1000m in a few directions and there were only oak trees so I cheated one in. But, besides that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

vibur posted:

So it's XYCraft?
I miss xycraft tanks. They were fun and cool.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Danith posted:

Are there any mods or mod packs where you can do stuff with AI people, like recruit people to harvest things for you?
In minecraft 1.8.x this is literally a vanilla feature.

ComputerCraft can do it, thaumcraft has (had? havent' seen them in ages but I never do thaumanything) golems that do that stuff, there are various machines/blocks/tricky setups that do it. Nothing quite like what you are implying.

Oh, in Attack of the B Team there was some mod where you could necromancer up little slave dudes that mined and stuff. I didn't really mess with it because it had all kinds of bugs that could crash the server and stuff. I don't remeber what it's called.

edit: Apparently it's called Necromancy and there's no 1.7.x version in that thread. Oh, 1.7.10 version. No idea how stable it is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

Anyways, the new system really is better after you spend a couple minutes investigating the mod. :)
Crafting stuff really sucks. Once you get AE setup it's not so bad, but prior to that ugh. That's my only real complaint about some of the new TE stuff. It adds more crafting steps and that really sucks.

Servos and stuff actually have decent recipes that don't suck, all things considered. I still don't like the machine core thing.

I agree with the general design philosophy and like that ducts are separated. Although with how MC works now it takes like 2-3 days to hit infinite resources and you just use tesseracts for everything.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

Is blightfall fun to play as is right now? What's a good structured "tutorial" pack like that?
Baby's First Space Race is alright. It's well structured and introduces you to quite a few mods. It also has resource spawn rates that you blow through the whole pack in pretty much an afternoon.

I think some of the things it has you make are borderline pointless, and that the order of things isn't the most efficient if you were just trying to speed run a space race. But, it's a great introduction and made well enough.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 9, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. But it still has the problem of requiring energy bursts per teleport.

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.
Use a server plugin for bukkit/spigot/cauldron that lets you use /sethome or /myhome. Teleporting is actually kind of "cheap" in minecraft and allows you to do tons of abusable things. So having a cost is reasonable. Mechaet's first few servers let you set infinite homes and I'd just /sethome at some lava, /sethome at the edge of my endless mine, /sethome in my base with no entrance, /sethome at anything mildly useful, /sethome at the nether portal, /sethome at a fortress, /sethome where ever.

It resulted in hitting mining lasers and infinite power, before big reactors even existed, in a ridiculously short amount of time. And then I'd get bored and play something else but that probably says more about me than anything else.

Never ending teleport is convenient at first, but it really does diminish the game in short order. I guess limiting sethome to 1-3 per user or something would be legitimate. And you can do that in its config. I suppose there's some kind of balance between those commands and requiring a bit of power and some resource investment is probably that balance. One of the UE mods had teleporters for a while, but they had really lovely requirements: limited range and same world was awful, required both chunks to be loaded at some point after server restart - by far the worst, and they took power. The power thing was actually no big deal because it wasn't a continuous drain just a drain per warp, and you could refill them with batteries/energy cubes/that kind of thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 10, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%? this is really hosed up, that they provide an installer now that lets you choose a directory, but it only puts a shortcut to the launcher in there and everything still goes to my hidden system folders.
Use a third party launcher with a configurable directory. ATLauncher goes in the folder you put it in, I think the FTB launcher does as well, and I think with technic you can configure the directory although technic defaults to %appdata%/.technic.

ps use %appdata% I don't get why you're complaining

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

Just got back into modded minecraft after a while, what on earth happened to AE. To craft anything I need to...throw things into puddles to make fluix crystals? after making charged certus quartz that requires a charger built with fluix crystals? what is this garbage
New AE actually owns once you learn how to do it. The guy saying to disable everything fun and interesting is insane, although the chamber to do in world crafting is a decent block no real hate there.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

Anybody who suggests that not having a crafting process for the processor set integral to the mod is fun and interesting is literal blockhitler.
You can automate the crafting of them easily and the process is quick once you do. If you're doing it by hand it's slow, but the block was designed with automation in mind.

EnderIO conduits are great for it, and you can later put an interface and an import bus on the chest from your eio automation system.

The worst thing is probably fluix crystals. They are clumsy even while automated so any block that does those is great. The pure seeds are fine, you can grow stacks at once unlike the fluix crystals, and they automate easily once you get accelerators up which should be immediately. Meteors are fine too once you learn how to use the compass and dig down. I hated on meteors before but it was literally because I didn't know they could be underground.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

How do you automate the crafting process for something that literally has no crafting recipe by default?

For inscribers:

Set one up for each press, dump materials in the chest, have each conduit properly routed for each component. It will pull them from the chest and autocraft them. And at the end you can return them to the same chest or put them in a different chest if you want.

The 5th inscriber the bottom is the silicon, the middle is redstone, and the top is all of the unfinished processor components.

I use acceleration cards in them, but that comes later.

For crystal growth:

Use something that drops the item in, I used an open crate from botania.

On the bottom use a transfer node with a world interaction upgrade and an item filter with the finished components.

For channels:

Channels are actually fun and awesome. Disabling them seems pretty silly unless you really hate learning them or building cool networks/grids that require a little thought. It gives you an excuse to use all the colored cables too.

Nonsanity has a good channel video on youtube here. It doesn't spell out the practical applications for you, but at the end of the video and with a little tinkering yourself you should have a great grip on channels and why they are fun and cool. Sub networks are also really powerful for things like DSUs or storage bus arrays. You can put endless things on a single channel on your main network if you set it up properly.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Speaking of AE2,

I keep having a problem where an interface attached to a tesseract stops importing items. I have plenty of open drives that it is normally going to, some of the items that get stuck even have very empty DSUs with storage buses in my stem, and after it happened once I put it on its own line just to make sure it wasn't some weird channel thing. It's also not system power, because I added a Dense Energy Cell and it never dips. I don't get it. It seems to happen randomly. To fix it I can just break the cable attached and reattach it. I also had an import bus stop working on a machine earlier similarly.

Ghostlight posted:

Sorry, I was referring to this step:

Assuming Goncyn was referring to the inscription presses.
AE2 has config settings for adding recipes for things that don't have recipes. I'll be honest, I hated the ae2 meteors/in world crafting at first. But once you figure it out, and there is quite a learning/understanding curve, it's actually rather neat and it scales in a good way.

Except fluix crystals. I just queue up a craft of 512-1024 crystals and a similar amount of dust in my system after a while, but early on even if you automate them it takes time. I would rush to automate them in the future, I think I crafted 128 by hand this build.

Charged certus isn't too bad, just filter charged out of the machine and put non-charged in. Doing it by hand is fine for the first few, but for anything else it's worth it to at least put some pipes on it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 24, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How is this copper thing supposed to work in TFC? I blew two day cycles trying to pan, and two more trying to find some in the four cardinal directions. No dice. I got iron, and just enough copper from panning to make a saw. So I am glad I could make a door, but I was hoping for a pick.
Pick up a bunch of dumb rocks on the ground. Later use the prospecting pick + mining pick to locate a vein. Veins of copper are GIGANTIC in this game, so actually finding it is quite annoying compared to vanilla minecraft.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

How is it annoying? You don't have to mine every last scrap of copper you find. I'll generally carve out what I think I'll need immediately and just leave the rest in the ground to pick up later. Inventory management is annoying enough in TFC without having to build a zillion chests to store ore in.
Finding the vein is annoying. Mining it is not annoying.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I restarted in TFC and finally found a spot where it looks like metamorphic rock hits sedimentary rock. I decide to set up camp, and my hunger and thirst immediately plummet when I drop out of cheat mode into survival mode. Um.. hooray?

Well I stabilized that and started looking for clay. The rain level was 250, so I wasn't going to find any. So I got to run around for 5 kilometers anyways!

Yeah I don't know about this.
Isn't clay everywhere? It's just under the yellow grass stuff or something. I don't know if they changed it, but that's how it was last time I played TFC.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
FTB is supposed to come out with a botania pack any day now if they haven't already. It's designed to introduce people to botania and provide ultimate botania challenges. It has some other mods, but the main mod is botania.

It appears to be on their site but I can't find it in the launcher. I sort of hate the ftb launcher to be honest.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uXs posted:

Is there a simple mod that adds elevators, for 1.8? Like you stand on a pad or whatever and it transports you to another pad right above or below you.
There are a ton of mods for spigot/bukkit/cauldron that are compatible with 1.8, but you have to be running a server for them to work. It might be a viable solution for you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

Yes and no. I literally wrote a better world renderer over lunch one day. The real issue is just that MInecraft is a market share juggernaut, and while I think a bunch of us could get together and do it, it wouldn't have the support, even if it were technically superior in every conceivable way.
There's a difference between success and being the next minecraft. You don't need to achieve the latter to make reasonable money on the former.

edit: I also think you're really underestimating just how much traction you can gain with dedicated players. Lots of twitch and youtube publicity for free if you pull it off, especially if you leverage your (collectively) position in the community. Minecraft isn't WoW, it's a $10-$30 one time fee and a game that came out ages ago. People buy all kinds of lovely minecraft clones just because they want more. If you make a quality game that you think is great you could very well be what Path of Exile is to the Diablo franchise.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 19, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tuyop posted:

I do have VM software in the lab to test some server stuff on since it sounds like LAN play won't work for what I have in mind. Last year I tried running a server and there was some kind of firewall in place that restricted us to LAN play. Is it possible to make a server work like a LAN somehow, if that makes sense?
You can set offline mode in the server's config and it will allow people to connect without authenticating. This works from LAN.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Dartcraft had really useful backpacks.

My woman likes the bee stuff, I kinda like the tree stuff. You can end up with a giant orchard of different funky trees and get insane decoration options.
Dartcraft really did have the best. You could filter and do all kinds of poo poo. Not the biggest fan of dartcraft, but it certainly offered a unique experience and that one aspect of it was nice. Some of the enchanting stuff was cool too.

These days my backpack solution is to lug around strongboxes and a TE satchel or two. When your inventory fills up load the junk to unload into a strongbox or things you want to keep around for later into a satchel. Good while mining early game (the strongbox thing) because you often don't have the materials for satchels.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.
Yeah.

TreeAssist for bukkit/spigot/cauldron has opt-in treecap functionality and you can even set auto replant and control apple drop rates and more. It also lets you fast leaf decay, and you can turn all of the features on/off individually. It's stable as far as I know it never caused any issues on the vanilla servers I've used it on.

PlayerMagnet is another okay bukket mod for opt-in magnet functionality. This one is not coded quite as well, but it works. Not sure how it would hit tps on a large server, but if it's for you and a few friends it shouldn't be noticeable.

But use the technic launcher with a custom pack if you want to use actual mods. No one has to manage profiles. They just need to download technic and run your pack. There is a pipe mod for bukkit that treats cobblestone walls as pipes when connected to machines. That one always seemed kind of cool but I never tested it. I assume it is coded really poorly, but if you're running a vanilla server it probably won't matter.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 3, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Minecraft modding in a nutshell. Why, for the love of all things holy, are there modpacks with seven varieties of copper, five varieties of tin, and six aluminums, none of which stack with each other and are all functionally identical? Like I can get if a mod wants their own form of unobtanium to make all the crap for but we don't need 27 varieties of copper.
I haven't played a pack like this for a while. Most packs use cofh or metallurgy (well in 1.7.10 not really, in 1.6.x it was kinda popular) to fix up ore spawns to be one of each type.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I accidentally installed 32bit java on my laptop and I can confirm that FYAD does in fact work on 32 bit java, although journeymap sometimes doesn't show up due to ram limitations. Not a deal breaker at all.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

I have to add a system environment variable in Options called _JAVA_OPTIONS and then set that to -Xmx256M when I do that, FTB works fine, but it doesn't work in the Technic Launcher, so I tried moving it to 2048 which made blightfall to work, but crashed out FTB.

(I have no idea what these options do, or if I can set them to work inside the launcher.)

e: The EnderStorage folder in the world save just corrupts for no reason, and isn't fixed unless you delete it (which causes you to lose everything in EnderStorage.) So a quick heads up if the server just stops launching or whatevs.
You can set these in either launcher. There is a command line options thing in settings or java options line.

-Xmxnnnn sets maximum memory allocation.

256M is also a really small amount of ram and no modern mod pack will run with that much. At the same time, allocating something like 2 gigs to the launcher is kinda silly. So definitely don't set an environment variable for this.

First thing to do is make sure the launchers are using 64bit java as the default. Second thing to do is make sure at least 2gb of ram is allocated in the launcher options:

In technic there is a "Launcher Options" in the top right. If you hit Java Settings you can see the java version it's using, the memory allocation (at least 2 GB for most modpacks), and you can set Java Args (like -Xmx but you shouldn't need to use it here because you can set the Memory option).

In FTB there's an "Options" tab near the top right, and you can set the RAM Maximmum there. Near the bottom of that tab it shows the java version used in an unclear way and you can hit advanced options for command line parameters and selecting a java exe.

Thankfully we're in the 1.7.x world so you don't have to mess with command line parameters anymore unless you're running a server. And Java 8 works. Yay.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's pretty messed up if most major modpacks were setting it to -1.

I don't mind the option being there, but there's no reason for that.

His solution is pretty dumb too. If it's so important to so many people why not just retool that poo poo. Make them function like a multiblock or pipe network type of thing, where when you place them they chain together with adjacents so on tick it's only 1 calculation instead of n calculations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Big Trees, annoying the community of three magic mods at once

-Regrowing bark that can be used for thaumcraft stuff or botania research
-Tap for flowing blood to help your witchery or mana
-Passive mana generation
-Can modify with soil or hydration systems
-Some kind of gnome system
-Maybe some kind of gear/house inside of the tree/window system perhaps tied in with gnomes
-Trees can murder all plant life around them or spring new plant life to life depending on some factor (probably how much mana you're tapping from it/producing with it - excess mana brings life hard drain kills life)
-Probably some fruit/nut/fudge filled cookie crap
-What else can trees do, you can like get branches that regrow or something sweet

Khorne
May 1, 2002
To be honest, I mostly like the botania change. But I also like the big trees idea for the same reason project e is sometimes fun.

bigperm posted:

Someone please make Big Trees a thing.
If you sleep within 3 chunks of a big tree sometimes murderous gnomes will leer over you while you sleep just like five nights at freddy's.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 23, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I think it was because KL wanted to differentiate his stuff from the outdated clusterfuck that was BC, and it's energy pipes that would either back-up and explode or drain away half of your provided power as an "energy tax".

Honestly I can't blame him.
BC was changing their API in a dumb way that messed with other mods and always kind of annoyed with TE. TE just made RF. People thought it was yet another power standard, with UE and IC2 stuff existing at the time in addition to BC.

RF replaced everything shortly after because it wasn't governed by stupid drama/ego and poor code. Although I guess IC2 is still a thing that exists even though the last time I played with it was in 1.5.x.

To put it in perspective, BC has used the RF api internally for over a year now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 14, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Threep posted:

And the current lead on BC recently wrote this blog post:

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html
That post doesn't even make sense. There are so many ways around this, and not just the ones he listed.

There is actually no difference between pulsing and streaming. A time averaged look at the system is identical.

If you want "pulsing" functionality for zany pipes that no one in their right mind uses anymore or bursty machines you can implement it in your mod trivially in a way where it functions just like before but doesn't mess with other mods. I don't understand how you can program a mod but not understand how to implement something like that. If other mods want to treat rf as pulsing they can implement it themselves or you can get together and write a library/api/whatever that all of the pulsing mods call. But it's not rf that is pulsing, it's your mod that is only allowing power transfers every n ticks.

If you implement it on a machine level it's trivial. TE itself, and most RF mods, only have actions performed when a certain energy buffer amount is reached. That's literally the "pulsing" power system that he describes.

If you implement it on a pipe level you just do streaming but monitor the power input over n ticks and if it exceeds the limit you have it do whatever bad thing you want. Or, you can sample the rf/t every n ticks and multiply it by n. If you only want them to handle a 2k rf packet over 50 ticks you literally divide 2k/50 and limit the rf traveling through to 40rf/tick. And pipes can clearly have rf/t limit because pretty much every implementation of ducts has it. Like, pulsing makes no difference at all in practice. The pipe thing is actually somewhat tricky because I'm not entirely sure what is called normally and what isn't and you don't want overhead, but old bc pipes had a ton of overhead.

Implementing it on an engine level means you just output a set rf/t... like all rf generators/engines/dynamos. If you want them to heat up or whatever they output less rf/t. It works the same drat way as packets.

It's like he doesn't understand the math behind what he is trying to do.

Note that I actually liked BC engines unlike lots of people here. And I like BC for the most part. It was hilarious when my combustion engines exploded because I added 2 extra and the water feeding method I used couldn't keep up with the extra two engines. I even like BC item pipes and all the pipe mods for different types of pipes. I liked planning out little networks with those. I like logistics pipes too. But, that post just doesn't make sense.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

StealthArcher posted:

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html
He actually replied to us.

If I wasn't at work id write up a reply back, but gently caress it I'll do it when I'm off.
That's cool. My point was that packets or no packets can function identically and look identical to the end user. It's just what you do under the hood that determines how it works. And while what you do under the hood is different in packets or not packets, the user playing your mod won't actually know that.

The entire point of my long post was that a continuous system like rf and a packet system look identical in a time averaged view. And because of that you can make them function identically with some clever programming. Like literally identically.

500 rf every 50s (10rf/t) is the same as a straight 10rf/t. Anything you can do with one you can do with the other. You don't need to actually implement literal packets to have the same functionality as packets. I tried to use explicit examples in the previous post that were like old buildcraft before rf. I get that he can't implement them like old bc implemented them, but that's probably a good thing given bc's performance issues. They could still be implemented differently and achieve the same result.

I also agree that not everything has to be rf. I actually would enjoy a power system that takes more planning. Current modded mc is approaching project E tiers of boredom. The only cool thing is AE2 channels, but even those are kinda pointless because there's very little to do once you are post scarcity.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 15, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Input/output ports are limited to 50B/t of steam (~25? turbines) which you'll hit with a much, much smaller reactor if you are going to go the turbine route.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

where did you get this?

I get 2400 steam out and you put the out and in against each other for max throughput.
2400 is in mb, which is 2.4 buckets, nowhere near the cap on the port.

I don't know if multiple ports works but if it does that's cool. I've never needed to max out even one port.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
ProjectE is an awful mod that ruins the game (but is fun briefly or in something like hardcore mode on mad pack), but that's not a swastika or even anything close to a swastika.

Wait until you see magical crops' essences! Or a shuriken! Or a child's rendition of the sun!

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ariong posted:

Are there any recipes where you need charged certus quartz or am I good to turn it all into fluix? Discounting ones where regular certus will do, of course.
You need them for some stuff, make a charger it requires one, and then you can turn regular into charged at your leisure.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been having considerable trouble getting FTB: Infinity to run for more than 15 minutes without the Nvidia driver crashing. (Error code 8).

From what I understand, this is a pretty common problem but from what I've read, there is no fix.

Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? A game that takes this long to load is impossible to enjoy when you spend a good sixth of your time restarting it.
Are you running the latest driver? If so, you have to downgrade to a version that doesn't have that problem.

I think it's v340.52 that doesn't have the issue. I saw a bunch of people discussing it in IRC, apparently a few mod and mod pack authors had this problem after updating their video card drivers.

The issue is supposedly caused by other programs using opengl, primarily firefox/chrome with accelerated graphics or flash player. One nerd said it's caused by journeymap if you don't have it set to opaque. If you don't want to downgrade you probably have to turn off accelerated graphics and make sure you don't have any flash stuff open (even paused) while playing minecraft. Someone claimed if you open minecraft and then your web browser the issue might not happen? But I don't know. I'd probably just go with the older driver version but you could also try these goofy attempts at fixes.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 27, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there any way to check for instability in a mystcraft age? Or to turn it off once a world is created? I run the server myself.

I made a mystcraft world with no pages and it appears to be a stable void world. I don't want to build my base there and have a big surprise come up.

edit: Upon closer inspection it appears that it's actually a book to the Spectre World from random things. Oh boy. That's exciting. It appears twice in the cofh tps list, as dimension "sdf" [3] and SpectreWorld [3]. I'm really excited about this exciting mod interaction, but seeing as it's only me playing there I might still be lazy and build there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

what happened posted:

What's a good way to start generating RF in Modderation: permabanned?
How early game?

Ender IO Generator or TE Steam Dynamo are both decent.

Big Reactors works better after you get the resources. A small one (1-3 blocks high) will generate insane rf for almost no fuel cost for all of your early-mid game machine/ae2 needs. It takes very little upfront investment too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A temporary diversion from vision chat. I can't figure out the whole storage bus->interface->molecular assembler thing in AE2 for keeping basic levels of items in play. I want to figure this out since it seems more efficient than level emitters, which take up a lot of space... and channels. I get the basic idea. The interface should generate a draw on the storage bus when it is out of a designated item which will cause the storage bus to try to pull one, triggering autocrafting from a pattern. Or something.

I am trying to make some wooden buttons so I can get some machina essentia from them. I have a pattern to designate oak turns into planks, and a plank turns into a button. I added a crafting card to the interface in the chain. For the inventory, I put a plank in the top and bottom slot in the rows. That's what I saw online, although I don't really get it. I'll see the button from the bottom slot in my network, and I can pull it out, but nothing autocrafts from this afterwards. What is the procedure for setting this up?
There are three primary different things you can do with an interface. I think most people know you can blindly dump things into an interface and it gets imported into your network. And also that an interface is viewed as a chest with an inventory when other mods attempt to pull from it.

If you have the interface setup for crafting there is no need to specify anything in the interface's interface except recipes. There's no need for a crafting card either. And there is no need to attach a storage bus to it. You should put a crafting card in the export bus that is requesting the crafted item instead and allow your buffer chest or the block's interface to fill up with things from the export bus. I'd highly recommend this method if you want a constant supply of an item for something. For example, I just straight export bus redstone/cryotheum/glowstone/ender pearls into magma crucibles. I just straight export dark steel balls into SAG mills.

If you have an interface setup as a storage buffer/chest, you set the number of things you want it to hold in the interface's interface and it will request those from the network until it holds the desired amount. This requires a crafting card if you want the item to be crafted in the network. You can then attach a storage bus to the interface and it will treat the interface as a chest and provide its contents to your network. The big takeaway is if you are stocking items in an interface it's pretty much a chest that the network can stock and anything can interact with as if it were a chest. This is primarily useful for high end materials that you will only ever need a stack or two of for crafting and don't want to setup level emitters for, or for keeping a spare set of super nerd armor in stock, or you get the idea.

The third thing is if you attach a storage bus to an interface with nothing in it the network with the storage bus can view the entire contents of network the interface is attached to. This is how sub networks work and making a ton of storage require only 1 channel works.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 7, 2015