Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Superheroes saving the world :monocle:

Probably a lot of what is driving the continuity clean up is that Marvel wants people who like the movies to be able to get into the comics as well, and see characters familiar to them.

Except there's no way in hell Captain America or Thor is going to look like their movie counterpart at the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Valeria is in the new Runaways book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I just came in to this knowing nothing about anything but holy poo poo why does Ultimate universe only have Iron Man and Spidey to fight? Is there some place that will give me a good run down of major events in that universe?

Everyone died.

Actually, now that I think of it, whatever happened to Ultimate Hulk, they established pretty strongly that he seriously can't die.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kitty Pryde punching Galactus in the face will never not sound awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what Ultimate comics set up Secret Wars? Or is it all on the 616 side?

All the stuff with incursions is only on the 616 side, explaining what "The City" is is covered in Hickman's Ultimates, but it's not super necessary. Ultimate Reed turned evil in an earlier mini series, but I never read it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Wait why do people keep saying the Braddocks are the Ultimate versions?

Isn't the 616 version of Jamie an insane reality warper and the Ultimate Version just Captain Britain Mk. 2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

What issues of FF did he write that have to get added to the pile?

All of volume 1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

That was actually Doom's fault. They assumed it was the Beyonders at first, but Doom travelled back in time to unravel the plot which was to blow up the entire multiverse at once. So he went around killing Molecule Mens which were the bombs/triggers but that just caused the incursions to happen somehow.

All hope doom lies in Doom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mr.capps posted:

I did, I liked both. Mostly Starbrand though.

I think its silly to say they haven't played into things, as DCB pointed out they already served a few different functions. But I think its sillier that its already kinda being assumed these characters Hickman introduced still might not played into things, because they are dead. Well everything just died. Some of the other dead people still probably have a role in this, so

I would be surprised if they don't make an appearance. I want to know what happened to Hyperion, Doom attacked the Beyonders at the site of Odinson and Hyperion's last battle and he has a police force of Thors, there's no way that's a coincidence. So where is his army of Hyperions?

Actually my bet is all the Thors suck because Doom created them from the unworthy hammer Mjolnirr (sp?). A real Thor might not be able to beat the Cabal by himself, but he wouldn't get punked that quickly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I believe it was after the Illuminati blew up the world for the Not-Justice League where Strange took the helmet of the mystic there, which was related to the Black Priests. He eventually learned the Black Priests were trying to stop the Incursions and led them, because he's Strange and the Sorcerer Supreme. He just couldn't communicate with their hive mind, but learned what their words were.

He didn't have enough of a soul for lots of reasons, probably even going back to World War Hulk where he used black magic to fight the Hulk. There was also a New Avengers annual which touched on Strange dabbling in dark arts.

It's actually a little annoying how he had recent story arcs that it's this new and dangerous thing for him to be dabbling in the dark arts, because he's always used them. One of his original teasers (like Daredevil being "The Man Without Fear" ) is "The White Knight who uses Black Magic." One of his earliest stories is a series of cliff hangars where, in order to defeat some cosmic horror trying to destroy the earth he unleashes another, even more powerful, cosmic horror that tries to destroy the earth, until either Eternity or The Living Tribunal has enough of this poo poo and destroys the earth themselves. Then Doctor Strange convinces them to remake it exactly the same way it was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like a lot of writers who've written Dr. Strange recently have never actually read his books before. They just saw a couple of his guest appearances in Avengers books and were like "No sweat, I got this poo poo!"

Maybe that's not fair, though. That's probably just true of Bendis.

There's a great line in New Avengers when Dr. Strange is hanging with them post-civil war and he makes an illusion so his Greenwich Village house is in complete disrepari and will be demolished for a Starbucks. Iron Man enlists some B-list magic villain to try and figure out if it's an illusion and the dude is all "Nope, as far as I can tell he's abandoned this place months ago. Of course he is the master of the mystic arts." But then everything else involving him in New Avengers wasn't great.

I think Matt Fraction really understood him in his The Defenders relaunch, especially the part where he scares Betty Ross out of her Red She-Hulk form.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Didn't he get Brother Voodoo to look at the Sanctum Sanctorum?

Oh, was it? I thought it was an old villain that had been conscripted via the Superhero Registration Act. Either way it's a good line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Fraction run with the recent trend of Strange being a sex perv who sleeps with co-eds? I know he didn't start that, but still.

He sleeps with a co-ed and then is kinda an rear end in a top hat to her, but the ending is him going back in time and taking her out for coffee after, and maybe dating her further, thus negating all the other events in the book so it's sorta a story about learningnot to be an rear end in a top hat.

Aside from Clea (who had an affair with Benjamin Franklin at one point) he's also dated Night Nurse and Dead Girl, so I don't think he has a very specific type.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

See, my issue with that is that Dr. Strange is a character who's supposed to have completed that personal journey. That's the whole point of who he is, compared to who someone like Spider-man is. I'm not saying he shouldn't ever stumble or have personal flaws, but he's been written an awful lot like MCU Tony Stark these past years and it just strikes me as people not being good enough writers to make a guy who isn't petty and blatantly flawed an interesting character.

There are other steps in the hero's journey than the first third.

Ah, whatever, no one cares. The first Iron Man movie made more money than all of Dr Strange's comics combined.

I feel Dr. Strange should be a little stand offish, he shouldn't be the smug prick RDJ is, but he should totally have a bit of that "College professor who sleeps with his graduate TA" thing going on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I liked The Oath. :kiddo:

The Oath is amazing, it's one of my favorite Doctor Strange books, but you, me and Lurdiak are the only people who buy Dr. Strange comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phenotype posted:

So I guess there was no recent Dr Strange series, then? I was hoping he had a personal title that would have fleshed out that part of the story. I've always really liked Strange, but the only stuff I've read with him as the lead were a miniseries from several years ago (can't remember the name, but he fights an assassin with Hitler's gun), and an older book co-starring Doom where he becomes Sorceror Supreme and grants Doom a boon.

Are there any other arcs really worth getting into, if Hickman Avengers is my first exposure to Marvel in years? Strange, Center's, FF, anything really. I really liked a lot of the high concept stuff Hickman threw around, big fan of the Illuminati too.

Well, if you dig Hickman's Avengers, you're gong to love his Fantastic Four. If you're interested in Dr Strange specifically, he's not in enough comics to begin with, but in random order you should check out: The Oath, X-Statix Present: Dead Girl, The Original Lee/Ditko run of Strange Tales, Matt Fraction's Defenders, Most every other run of Defenders, Triumph and Torment, the Doc Strange and Doc Doom team-up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Is Triumph & Torment not available digitally anywhere? I feel like maybe Comixology is just rebelling against me. Or am I going to have to track down a TPB someplace?

It was a Marvel OGN, like God Loves, Man Kills and the Death of Captain Marvel. For some reason Marvel hasn't been as quick to digitize those as they have their back issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Both of those are on comixology.

Well then I don't know what the issue is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TNG posted:

Hahaha, that's one of the funny things about the Avengers. It seems like it's the proving grounds for various character's concepts to see if they could branch out anywhere. Remember when the Eternals were a thing? Or Triathlon and Silverclaw? Or the lady Captain Britain that Bendis pretty much threw in the trash his first issue?

Oh yeah, and don't ever mention the word Mantis around Steve Englehart.

I liked Mantis in the Abnett/Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, the only real evidence of him being a capital "G" God is the testimony of Battleworld's inhabitants.

You know, the folks who have had their memories manipulated.

In the panel above, Strange, who hasn't had his memory manipulated, refers to Doom being omnipotent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wasn't it estabshed in Emperor Doom, that absolute control bored Doom, and that was at least part of the reason he eventually lost? Aside from the absolute lack of freewill, Emperor Doom's world was perfect, it would make sense that Doom would create a world with internal and external strife, if only to give himself something to do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I hope Mighty Avengers comes back after Secret Wars, but it's kinda fitting to end there since it started as an Infinity spin-off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure it'll come back as Defenders, or just keep the titling from its Secret Wars book. They were all saying how Avengers didn't fit them anyway.

It was the Avengers free comic day book that said Avengers didn't fit them. Really I just hope Ewing keeps writing comics, but I could definitely get behind that team being the new All New All Different Defenders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't he in the Secret Wars Spider-Verse tie-in too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

And I'm bet my new-born that Miles will be added to the 1610 universe when this is all over.

We know that already, he was in the FCBD Avengers book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

^^^Ahh. Didn't know that.

Nope. It's got Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ham, Indian Spider-Man, UK Spider-Man, Spider-Girl, and Noir Spider-Man.

I honestly forgot Indian Spider-Man existed. Did anyone read his book when it came out, I know the west wasn't the target market, but I think it was written in English, since most Indians can read it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

So now that we are almost 2 months into this thing, as there been any idea on which secondary titles will be important to the main story?

I have been picking up a smattering of different titles every week, and it seems like these are the ones that will have more of an effect on the main Secret Wars issues:

Ultimate End - pretty obvious since it is the two main universes thrown together
Old Man Logan - Seems to have larger implications based on where they are going
Guardians of Knowhere - despite it still being a month away, it is a Bendis title and features the Guardians heavily
Infinity Gauntlet - I haven't read it yet, but it looks like it pretty clearly involves Thanos from the Cabal and the infinity gems
A-Force - The first issue seemed to have some implications for crossing borders and involving other territories
Thors - Battleword mystery that crosses over territories
Inhumans: Attilan Rising - Another mystery that crosses into several territories

Any other series I should include (or take off the list)? Like I said, I am just trying to compile a list of titles that will be important to the main storyline (or look like they are headed that way).

I think Secret Wars by itself will have everything you need if all you care about is following the plot, if I'm not mistaken no one from either raft has appeared in any tie-in, and I think most of the story is going to be the interaction between the rafts, Strange and Doom. Buy the tie-ins that seem most interesting to you on their own merits, very few of them have gotten bad reviews so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

No. It's from an Ultimate F4 arc where there's an alternate future due to...something. I don't remember, but Cyclops as Captain America is leading a hodgepodge squad of X-men and Avengers who go back in time to avert whatever it is that fucks up the future.

IIRC, Franklin Richards is an X-man, Sue Storm is evilllll and shacked up with Namor, Wolverine is plugged into some kind of machine that uses him to make cyborg Wolverine clones that are used as enforcers. There's some other cool set dressing stuff that gets woefully underused because it's an Ultimate Marvel comic.

But that was the only Cap as a mutant reference I could think of. I'm sure there are others.

Yeah, I looked him up and once I realized it was a de-powered Scott Summers I lost all interest. Captain America with laser eyes would be pretty cool (yes, I know they aren't lasers).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

tragedyjones posted:

Since Doc Green specifically states he identifies them by the eyes I am guessing it is very much NOT Cyclops.

The scott Summers that's Captain America was depowered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There should have been a Battleworld that was nothing but Summers brothers and possible Summers brothers, and their girlfriends.

That Battleworld would likely include Vulcan, so I'm gonna pass on that.

Maduo posted:

Don't forget the teeming underclass of alternate timeline children.

Now you've just won me back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Every Vulcan would die horribly, constantly.

Dude took over the Shi'ar Empire, don't count him out.

Edit: I just remembered everyone and their dog took over the Shi'ar Empire once, it's kinda hard to call it an Empire at that point. Seriously, given that they have Superman as their chief enforcer it's really embarrassing how often the get chumped. Most recently by Tony Stark and his Sun Cannon.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 29, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Assuming you're being sarcastic, she was just in the surprisingly good Ultron Forever mini as a teenage Captain America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Doom would probably be one of the less evil people in government.

I wish this plan had succeeded, but the end result was modest but consistent improvement in infrastructure or food safety or something. Like for all his mad scientist gifts, Doom's greatest talent is navigating mundane government bureaucracy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

btw, in the process of slapping together that poorly made edit, I had to reread SW #3 and in it Strange has brown eyes, so I'm pretty sure the last page of SW 4 is just a coloring error and not a long con.

That just tells me it's a Tyler Durden situation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

According to Emperor Doom, he's really not well-suited for that kind of work.

No, I don't want him in charge of the world, I want him as director of HUD or secretary of transportation, something like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

I'm just catching up on all of last week's books. As much as I like the idea of Everyone Is A Hulk, what I really would sell my soul for right now is an ongoing for Pulp Noir Detective Wolverine Featuring the Punisher.

I was also thinking it might be cool if Ultimate Doom was hiding somewhere on Battleworld in some capacity. I know Doom said (or implied?) there were no other Dooms, but if anyone could hide from Doom, it'd be Doom, right? I haven't been keeping up with the Ultimate U: was he even still alive at the time of incursion?

I didn't read it, but he popped up in the last relaunch of Ultimate FF, which was a team of Sue, Ben, Falcon and Iron-Man. No idea if he died (I mean before everything died), but I feel I should read that book at some point just because it also features Miles Morhames, the Ultimate Spider-Ham.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's a Secret Wars tie-in, so it's a miniseries. So far the only books returning after SW are A-Force and Old Man Logan, and they're both getting new #1's.

But it's not coming out until October, doesn't Secret Wars end in October?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

"Littering" is underselling it a bit, given that the Pacific Ocean has a floating patch of plastic debris which is (conservatively) the size of Texas. Between that, the other giant patches that exist in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, the eutrophication caused by fertilizers and oil spills, the overfishing which is resulting in a catastrophic decline in fish populations, the climate change which is destroying the Great Barrier Reef... Gonna get me a t-shirt that says "Namor was right".

Seriously speaking, Namor is being way nicer to us land dwellers than we deserve.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

As long as we're asking about MU, does pretty much everything go up on that service? Because I can wait six months if they give me everything to read then. Hell, I regularly get way behind till the end of the semester as it is.

Pretty much everything post 2000ish is all there, it get's spottier the farther you go back, but the biggens (your Spiders and Fantastic Fours, Iron-Men and Hulks, everything mutant or Avenger) it will probably be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

What? Why? To identify them as reprints? Why not just put something on the cover? Like the word "reprint".

I own a ton of comics with the words "second printing" on the cover.

• Locked thread