Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm kind of surprised they set aside a section of Battleworld for Doctor Strange and yet he hasn't get his own book.

On a related note, anyone noticed Mightygodking (of 'I Should Write Doctor Strange' fame) hasn't been posting on his site lately? :tinfoil:

As for me: I'll try out Renew Your Vows, Get Spider-Island (I'm there for the MC2 stories above all, though), A-Force, Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Secret Wars 2099, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, Thors, X-Men '92, and Captain Marvel. Plus I'll keep getting Ms. Marvel & the other books carrying on/doing Last Days I'm already reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Random question, so what happens to the afterlife since they are all according to their own universes? No more or are they beyond that?

Well the Beyonders apparently killed God/The Living Tribunal, so it guess it no longer exists!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

He's a working lawyer and he's apartment-hunting. Sorry, man, it's just life.

Aw man, I was hoping for a surprise announcement from Marvel of a new Doctor Strange book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

Thanos-copter was not from the 616 universe sadly.

It is according to Deadpool!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Len posted:

I wonder just how long he's been planning all of this. Since his Ultimates run? Maybe back with Fantastic Four?

I think Brevoort stated in interviews that Hickman come up with it back when he was starting out on Fantastic Four. Of course, that could all be a load of bullshit, but considering the length of the lead-in, he's had plenty of time to map things out.

One thing that bothers me, though: why do they keep referring to the Marvel Universe in the memorial as starting in 1961? They just last year had a 75-year anniversary celebrating Marvel Comics #1, where the first Human Torch showed up-not to mention Cap showed up 20 years before FF#1. Did that get erased from Marvel canon when I wasn't looking?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The only completely original think Ultimates did was a thing called Ultimate Adventures, and that was a Batman pastiche. Still, it was pretty good for what it was. It was actually part of a bet between Jemas and some other guys over who could make the most successful new series series. Jemas' contribution? Marville.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda miss when something could end without the cast just getting nuked. You could just imagine they were still having adventures together, they just weren't being published anymore.

That's not always safety-Avengers Academy ended pretty well, and then they decided to revisit them in Avengers Arena.

Spider-Girl had ended years before, in an 'The End' one-shot no less, and then Dan Slott ruined everything.

If you can't do anything good with a character, writers, don't do anything at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's some interesting news on Secret Wars & what comes after.

They seem to be hinting at a revival of Exiles with that comment about heroes from dead universes. That, or they'll all be emigrating to 616.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel has pretty much confirmed, more than once, that there's a new Dr. Strange book coming after Secret Wars. (Presumably, it was originally going to launch earlier, given that the character is on the Avengers NOW! preview art from last year and that every other book represented there has since materialized, AFAIK.)

No Mightygodking, no sale. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

Ultimate End was also kind of confusing in that Bagley drew a lot of people in the wrong costumes.

616 Tony was in the Bleeding edge armor that I think is two or three armors old at this point, Emma was in her old costume, Ultimate Jessica Drew was in her old costume. But everyone was in their correct costumes on the opening splash page, so I'm wondering if it was intentional?

It's hard to figure out when it's taking place. The Thor-Corps appearance makes it seem that its taking place in Battleword Post-SW #1, but if that's the case shouldn't Cyclops be al Phoenixed up?

Not to mention, Scott and Peter should be on the Illuminati's life raft, while 616 Tony should be dead.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe Doom prefers the older costumes.

I know I do.
Aren't those largely still outfits they were wearing when Bendis was still writing them?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ElNarez posted:

No it is, it literally reminds you that there is only one America Chavez in the entire multiverse

God, I hate the idea of there being only one version of a character in the multiverse, especially for such a low-level character like America Chavez. I mean that makes sense for the Anti-Monitor, since he wipes out entire universes, but America isn't exactly anything special. Why SHOULD there only be one of her? The marvel multiverse was theoretically infinite, why is there only one of her?

It's right up there with 616 somehow being magically unique. It's the one we read books about, dammit, that should be enough to make us care instead of making it the focal point of the multiverse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senor Candle posted:

America Chavez is cool and you're bad.

I wasn't making a value judgement on her as a character, just the whole 'she is unique in the ENTIRE MULTIVERSE' part. Why is that necessary?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sentinel Red posted:

Inferno was terrible. The original was no great shakes but this felt like the writer had spent 30 seconds on Wikipedia to get the gist and knows sweet F.A. about the actual details.
:mediocre:

It's Dennis Hopeless, that's par for the course.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can I just say Baron Robert Kelly rocking up on a hover-chariot wearing a cape & business suit may be the greatest moment in X-Men history?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elucidarius posted:

I mean, I guess in the grand scheme of Battleworld I didn't see how it fit. Why couldn't these people just ask Doom to move them to a new kingdom? I'll probably buy #2 but I just felt like it would make more sense on its own not tied into anything.
Because Doom explicitly forbade travel between Regions?

Endless Mike posted:

Chris Sims talked about it on Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and in he and Chad Bowers' original pitch for X-Men '92, they talked about sending them to all those '90s locales like Genosha and Madripoor and editorial nixed it, explaining that they're not on a whole planet, so I wonder if different editors are using different sized sections.
Yeah, Westchester's a very small region on Battleworld, while a lot are much larger.

I recommend everyone listen to that episode of Rachel & Miles, it's amazing. :allears: Albeit with very mild spoilers for X-Men '92.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

finding out from early reviews that Runaways is straight up just every young adult post-apocalyptic novel written in the last three years further vindicates my decision to not read that book

Continuing the proud tradition established by Avengers Arena, then.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Deal with Doom?

Its almost 100% definite that Old Man Logan is going to be part of the main universe due to the announcements that marvel have made. I could see them bring AOA Sabertooth as he is reformed and they seem to want him on the Avengers for some reason. They should also bring Blink and some of the other Exiles as long as Claremont can not write them.

Wait, hang on, wasn't OML in the AoA & Creed was there as a villain?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah I finally got around to reading it and shocked to see Creed there as a villain since in the original he was a loyal X-man.

BENDIS! :doom:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 18, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The best part is that the dog is apparently a natural Nova.

"I don't think the dog can be a-- oh, I guess he can."
"We'll never get the dog to fly-- oh, no, there he goes."
"Okay, kids, I know you can't fight but we have to-- oh man, look at that dog go."
Yeah, I'll take this guy over G'nort any day of the week.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man's wall-sticking powers were explained as bioelectically-generated static cling in the handbooks. Probably due to a combination of finger hairs being super gross and painful and how Spidey always has gloves on.

I never really questioned how sticking to walls "works", though.

Yeah, they actually had Electro once figure it out and manage to disrupt his powers.

Also Spider-Girl developed the power to repel stuff and stick other people to the same surface she was on.

:flashfact:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'll be honest, I kind of liked Peter's interaction with MJ & Maybelle more than RYV.

Also Tony's kind of a dick to not let the family reunite for 6 loving years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

OML is so good I literally cannot believe it's Bendis writing. Like, it must be some kind of Jekyll and Hyde thing where he goes to sleep, writes Old Man Logan, and then wakes up shocked to find a finished script on his desk when he sits down to bang out some terrible X-Men comics.

I think there's a similar thing going on with Dan Slott and Renew Your Vows.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

graybook posted:

His Captain America and the Mighty Avengers solidified him as one of my favorite writers at Marvel these days. Dude's a lore machine.

And he has the right to use literally any Marvel character he wants (living or dead) in Contest of Champions. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elucidarius posted:

Holy poo poo. House of M and Where the Monsters Dwell had loving terrible endings.

How so? I'm not reading either.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

House of M ended with Magneto not changing at all along with nothing else. It was really static.

So, what was the point (except for Hopeless shoving in Deathlocket)?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

zoux posted:

Was there a tie in that explained Sinister's face turn?

Didn't they have in last issue him hanging out with Cap'n Marvel suggesting that he turn on Doom?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squizzle posted:

When people :nono: about a Marvel time-travel plot not following the Grunewald Rules, I imagine them flabbergasted whenever they see an airplane, shouting "THAT'S NOT HOW BOATS WORK!" toward the sky.

This is now how I plan to react to every plane I see.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Only thing I'm not 100% on is why, in-universe, the Ultimate Universe got destroyed. Like, at all. I mean I get that they wanted to import Miles over, but what exactly caused the Ultimate Universe to bite the big one, if 616 got restored at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

zoux posted:

Let's not sleep on the cover, which is "Alex Ross draws Marvel's most iconic panels".

Also, I'm no expert on coloring but Ive Svorcina seems like a rare talent. His use of light is incredible.

He also snuck in the cover to Spider-Man vs. Superman (with Superman carefully omitted).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread