Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!
Okay so I have historically had a lot of problems with ASUS motherboards and getting the audio to work correctly out of the rear jack. Here's what happens:

1. I plug my speakers into the lime green jack on the back of the case.
2. The sound comes out of only 1 speaker.

However, when I plug it into the front panel green jack, the sound comes out of both.

Here's where it gets fun. I'll try to make this as easy to read as possible.

I recently upgraded my mobo. I currently have an ASUS M5A99 (the R2.0 one). I'm coming from an ASUS M5A97. I had this exact same issue on both motherboards. There's a kicker, when I built my gf's rig, She opted for a M5A97 also. Her computer has the exact same problem.

Now the obvious conclusion is that there is something wrong with the Realtek drivers. On top of being generally garbage, they are consistent across all three builds. HOWEVER, When I totally uninstall the drivers and let Windows install its own, the problem persists. Back jack only seems to want one speaker to work. Then I plug it into the front jack and both work again.

Here's the kicker, the left speaker isn't as strong as the right speaker. It's as though it's trying to put both lines through the right speaker and the left just gets a bit of overflow or something. Obviously that's not what's happening but that's what it sounds like. When I partially unplug the speakers, the behavior flip flops and the left speaker is strong with the right speaker being weak.

SO to sum up:
1. When I plug my speakers into the back of my PC, only one speaker works. When I plug them into the front headphones jack, both speakers work but the right side works better than the left side.
2. This problem has persisted across 3 mobos on 3 different builds.
3. This problem persists whether or not Realtek drivers are installed.
4. This problem persists across Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.
5. This happens with all speakers that I have tested that otherwise work fine. I have tested 2 pairs of computer speakers and 3 pairs of headphones, They all exhibit the same behavior.
6. This problem persists across two different cases.
7. All speakers and headphones work perfectly when plugged into other sources. No issues with one speaker being strong and the other weak. Everything works perfectly when they're not plugged into the computers.

What in the actual gently caress is going on here? I Google'd the hell out of it and found only generic stuff (uninstall/re-install drivers, etc). Am I just the unluckiest guy ever and managed to get 3 mobos with damaged jacks?

The thing is I don't even want it fixed, I just want to know why it's happening. I can plug my speakers into my monitor and let the sound pass through that way or keep using the front jack. Overall, it's a very little problem and I've learned to live with bigger PC issues...but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening to begin with.

My PC specs:
FX-8320 (not overclocked)
M5A99 R2.0 mobo
850W PSU (Earthwatt, I think that's Antec?)
16GB ripjaw series g skill ram
GTX 660 Ti

My speakers:
Logitech Z200 multimedia speakers

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out. Maybe the goons will know?

Here's what I've tried:
1. Uninstalling Realtek drivers, re-installing.
2. Uninstalling Realtek drivers, using the stock Windows drivers.
3. Uninstalling NVIDIA Audio driver (just in case of compatibility issues).
4. Uninstalling all audio drivers and letting Windows try to handle it.
5. Installing only Realtek.
6. Installing only NVIDIA audio drivers (which force installed the windows drivers).
7. Tested out 5 different headphones in both the front and rear audio connectors.
8. Tested out 3 total motherboards of 2 different varieties.
9. Fiddled with every setting I could possibly find in Realtek's control panel, windows' stock audio controls, and what little nvidia controls that I could find.
10. Tried plugging the device into every audio connector in the back despite it not making much sense.
11. I cried a little.
12. Tested all devices on my phone to make sure they actually worked. They do.
13. Opened the case and checked connections. Everything is plugged in.
14. Checked audio settings in the BIOS, everything that should be enabled is enabled.
15. DIsabled random settings in the BIOS (that pertained to audio)...didn't work.

AbsolutZeroGI fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had an almost identical problem way back. I have no idea how to adequately explain this, but I will try.

The rear audio jack connected to the mobo with an 10-pin connector (9 pins and one key if I recall). For whatever reason, the inputs on that connector and the outputs on the motherboard didn't match up exactly. I had to pull the incorrect pins out of the connector, and move them to their correct locations.

Finding which pin did what was easily learned in the motherboard documentation, and might even be printed on the board. The pin outs will be things like GND, R-Chan, L-Chan, L-Mic, etc.

Finding out which pin on the connector lead took a bit of troubleshooting, but eventually I mapped out which line went where, and reorganized the connector so it was correct.

edit: I'm just now realizing that most of this info is pretty antiquated, as the ports on modern boards are generally all in a big block straight off the board and don't require any connections. Oops.

Still, another idea that comes to mind is that the front ports might not be pinned connected properly. I had another old board that had a slightly different issue and it was because the audio out ran to the front connector first, and then if that wasn't grounded due to a headset, it would hit the rear. One of the pins on the front connector wasn't correct, so I had to jumper pins together on the board to get it to mostly work. I'm kinda rambling at this point, but maybe it'll work different if you unplug the front connector and try from there.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 6, 2015

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I had an almost identical problem way back. I have no idea how to adequately explain this, but I will try.

The rear audio jack connected to the mobo with an 10-pin connector (9 pins and one key if I recall). For whatever reason, the inputs on that connector and the outputs on the motherboard didn't match up exactly. I had to pull the incorrect pins out of the connector, and move them to their correct locations.

Finding which pin did what was easily learned in the motherboard documentation, and might even be printed on the board. The pin outs will be things like GND, R-Chan, L-Chan, L-Mic, etc.

Finding out which pin on the connector lead took a bit of troubleshooting, but eventually I mapped out which line went where, and reorganized the connector so it was correct.

edit: I'm just now realizing that most of this info is pretty antiquated, as the ports on modern boards are generally all in a big block straight off the board and don't require any connections. Oops.

Still, another idea that comes to mind is that the front ports might not be pinned connected properly. I had another old board that had a slightly different issue and it was because the audio out ran to the front connector first, and then if that wasn't grounded due to a headset, it would hit the rear. One of the pins on the front connector wasn't correct, so I had to jumper pins together on the board to get it to mostly work. I'm kinda rambling at this point, but maybe it'll work different if you unplug the front connector and try from there.

Well, that's definitely something I haven't tried yet. I will look at the documentation maybe? I dunno, I'm not so good at hardware modding.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Well I figured out the front headphone jack problem. I guess I needed a washer or something on there because when cut a piece of cardboard and put it on there, the speakers worked fine (both worked equally well).

**Update**
I re-installed the Realtek drivers figuring "what's the harm?" ...famous last words for computer tinkerers.

So I plug my speakers into the front jack and realtek's app asks what kind of speakers they are. I tell it "front speakers" and the left speaker goes on the fritz again. I change it back to headphones and both speakers work perfectly fine again.

For now, I'll be leaving it like this, with the cardboard washer and the speakers set to headphones. I simply can't figure out a solution beyond this lol.

AbsolutZeroGI fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread