Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I just wanna see how long my country lasts before loving up bad. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Yeah, just pick a nice stable country and see how long it takes for the game to spiral out of control.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Try to get your approval rating as low as possible or go full Big Brother or nuke the Vatican for no reason or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Play Russia in the style of real-life Putin and see how long it takes before the simulation burns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xoidanor posted:

Play Russia in the style of real-life Putin and see how long it takes before the simulation burns.

That might be doable, since Russia has a UN veto, assuming I kept to countries without political allies. Maybe Somalia?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cathulhu posted:

Yeah, just pick a nice stable country and see how long it takes for the game to spiral out of control.

Iceland is a good country for autopilot, generally.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

Iceland is a good country for autopilot, generally.
Gee, thanks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ICELAND IS BORING

Maria Lindstrom has been elected as the new leader of Iceland. She will rule for as long as possible without ever taking any action at all, because you asked for it. This post is your fault.

Iceland. One province, with two main locations -- the capital, Reykjavik, and also a volcano. This means that Iceland can suffer volcanic eruptions, if you're unlucky.

Not much going on right now. The biggest headline is simply a story about the BSEC, which has never been exciting front page news in any country, ever. I skip ahead a week.

Haha, holy poo poo. Actually, Serbia is in the news quite a bit this week:

Sounds like a fine country to live in, especially since their dead genocidal dictator has apparently come back to life in order to run for office. I skip ahead a week.

Finally, there's big news in Iceland:

Another week.

I skip a month ahead. It's very stupid to actually do this, as it skips over key decisions as well as unimportant ones. For example, at some point during February I guess the President of the Bahamas asked for a trade meeting?

I skip ahead two months, and discover that at some point, most of the cabinet resigned. I don't know why, because when you are fast-forwarding it doesn't give you any indication that people are leaving or give you a chance to ask them to stay. People are upset that Maria refuses to appoint any new ministers to fill their places.

Another month. Popularity is down. Maria's husband writes an editorial in the newspaper.

Poland's foreign affairs minister gives us the best insult of all time:

Maria is actually asked to resign, as her refusal to appoint anyone ever has driven Iceland's population into a vague discomfort. She does not.

I was surprised to see that the game does actually have a response to the player simply never bothering to pick a cabinet member, but at this point the newspapers get really good:

Erik's stuck in a rut, but he's a good guy nonetheless.

Iceland doesn't have the right to bear arms, as far as I know. Finally, in July of 2011, Maria is voted out of office... for treason.

I'm not sure that's how any government works, but... sure. Ok. Game over.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has there ever been a case of an elected official taking up office and never doing anything?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has there ever been a case of an elected official taking up office and never doing anything?

Calvin Coolidge?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

William Henry Harrison, aside from dying.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

StrixNebulosa posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinecure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-show_job

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, dumb question, but got some entertaining answers out of it - did you know Harrison delivered the longest inaugeral address in US history? It took him two hours to read, and that was after his friend edited it for length.

From my (admittedly cursory) skim of Coolidge's wikipedia entry, it doesn't look like he did anything especially silly in office, which is a shame.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not sure that's how any government works, but... sure. Ok. Game over.

Being accused of high treason apparently made you pretty popular!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, dumb question, but got some entertaining answers out of it - did you know Harrison delivered the longest inaugeral address in US history? It took him two hours to read, and that was after his friend edited it for length.

From my (admittedly cursory) skim of Coolidge's wikipedia entry, it doesn't look like he did anything especially silly in office, which is a shame.

Yes. Harrison's long speech is the reason he died. He gave it during a rainstorm and got pneumonia.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

StrixNebulosa posted:

Like all the Sinn Fein guys in Northern Ireland?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, this game isn't quite Steppe wolf level but it's up there. I look forward to the most accurate geo-political simulator in the world giving us nuanced and realistic scenarios which could be ripped from today's headlines.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

her refusal to appoint anyone ever has driven Iceland's population into a vague discomfort.

Rated 5.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So I think you are confusing Slobodan Bogvic, who I think is just a made up character, randomly generated by this game, with Slobodan Milosevic, the real-life dictator. He didn't so much as commit genocide as let his generals go around killing folks they didn't like. Possibly so that he himself could avoid becoming one of those people they didn't like.

Also, is every quote in the newspaper limp irony? It makes me want to read every article with Tosh.0's voice or as a segment from Sick Sad World from Daria.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pretty sure that "Jender" isn't a real Icelandic name. Thanks for proving Iceland to be boring, btw :iceland:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

So I think you are confusing Slobodan Bogvic, who I think is just a made up character, randomly generated by this game, with Slobodan Milosevic, the real-life dictator. He didn't so much as commit genocide as let his generals go around killing folks they didn't like. Possibly so that he himself could avoid becoming one of those people they didn't like.

Also, is every quote in the newspaper limp irony? It makes me want to read every article with Tosh.0's voice or as a segment from Sick Sad World from Daria.

The world leaders' names not randomly generated, and usually are just changed a little bit from the real person. so it's a little questionable to call the dude Slobodan.

And yes, the newspaper writing is... well, it's something, anyway.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TNG posted:

Man, this game isn't quite Steppe wolf level but it's up there. I look forward to the most accurate geo-political simulator in the world giving us nuanced and realistic scenarios which could be ripped from today's headlines.

That's "Steppe Wolf: The Coin, The Sabre & The Pigeon"! Show proper respect, you sub-Bulgarian sack of meat!

Anyhow, I think that the Serbia-talk makes it obvious the Balkans should be the next destination in this wonderful journey.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Great Joe posted:

Pretty sure that "Jender" isn't a real Icelandic name. Thanks for proving Iceland to be boring, btw :iceland:

Everyone knows Jender doesn't exist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The world leaders' names not randomly generated, and usually are just changed a little bit from the real person. so it's a little questionable to call the dude Slobodan.

And yes, the newspaper writing is... well, it's something, anyway.

Only few major countries have their leaders hand-crafted (lol) to resemble real world persons, 99% of the world might as well be randomly generated. And it's not only persons that's wrong, standing laws, statistics, political parties, organizations - everything tends to be pulled out of somebody's rear end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

YeOldeButchere posted:

That's "Steppe Wolf: The Coin, The Sabre & The Pigeon"! Show proper respect, you sub-Bulgarian sack of meat!

Anyhow, I think that the Serbia-talk makes it obvious the Balkans should be the next destination in this wonderful journey.

Goal for the next pass through the game: Recreate Great Old Bulgaria.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

How interesting would trying to liberalise as China or North Korea be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we force people to get gay married

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Make Hong Kong a British colony, China doesn't deserve it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Keep assassinating your spouse and see how many you can burn through.

Or do it with the "Country's Oldest Person." Turn your country into Logan's Run.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

macfam posted:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

macfam posted:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the utter gently caress do all the Icelandic people have Swedish names. Did I miss something and we got colonized at some point? It can't be that this shoddy game didn't pay attention to the details of the country, can it?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

It depends on what level of office you're talking about. There's at least one or two British MPs I can think of that never voted on almost anything beyond stuff that actively involved themselves and the power they wielded and hardly partook in any debates either. Like the minimal amount of work to not get booted out. Can't remember any who did almost literally nothing though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why the utter gently caress do all the Icelandic people have Swedish names. Did I miss something and we got colonized at some point? It can't be that this shoddy game didn't pay attention to the details of the country, can it?
please leave

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

macfam posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deceitful Penguin posted:

nobody gives a poo poo about your lovely rock

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it's time to make Islam the state religion of Israel.

Then have Palestine conquer the entire middle east, and mass convert to satanism.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

evilmiera posted:

It depends on what level of office you're talking about. There's at least one or two British MPs I can think of that never voted on almost anything beyond stuff that actively involved themselves and the power they wielded and hardly partook in any debates either. Like the minimal amount of work to not get booted out. Can't remember any who did almost literally nothing though.

Any Sinn Fein MP.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evilmiera posted:

That's not so much being lazy as it is being ruthlessly practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

can we force people to get gay married

seconded

• Locked thread