Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

What do you mean "turfing out"? Like, banning, or suspending, or...?

I mean that if the chat thread is going to serve no purpose except as a recursive chamber of white noise posts and weird posturing that result in it being locked, gassed, repoened, then rinse repeat, it makes more sense to me to either A). tell the people doing so to knock it off instead of tossing the whole thread out and starting over or B). just not having a chat thread at all, since it's not like there's a shortage of other tradgame threads going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Doodmons posted:

Something I'm surprised doesn't have a thread and, indeed, has barely any mention at all on TG is Spellbound Kingdoms. An elfgame where swinging from a chandelier is a mechanically advantageous thing to do because it gives you Do Cool Stuff And Reduce Damage Points, and where calling someone a dickhead mid swordfight is also mechanically advantageous because it reduces theirs. The combat styles are diagrams of maneuvers that you move through as you fight, so you can try to predict and counter an opponent. The fluff is cool as gently caress, too. The aristocracy literally have a stranglehold on emotion, because in this world having enough passion actually legit gives you magic powers. The peasants have their passion beaten out of them in childhood. Love is forbidden. The nobles have badass powers because they are allowed to feel. The players are the resistance, who do daring acts of passionate revolution and get real stronk while doing it.

It's loving awesome and you should all check it out.

This sounds legitimately cool! I'll try to find a copy of it or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

This sounds legitimately cool! I'll try to find a copy of it or something.

You can get it on DTRPG, I actually bought a copy on a whim the last time it got brought up.

It's definitely interesting though I have approximately zero actual play experience with it. The combat styles don't seem especially deep in the sense that the various maneuvers don't open up radically different sorts of effects or approaches as you delve into the advanced levels, but there's some interesting stuff going on with different types of damage and it's certainly a lot more interesting than something like Pathfinder's list o' feats or similar.

Dec 26, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

What do you mean "turfing out"? Like, banning, or suspending, or...?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Why are dwarves, a race that lives in tunnels, always depicted using axes, a weapon that needs to be swinged in a wide arc?

Which weapons do you think would make more sense?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why are dwarves, a race that lives in tunnels, always depicted using axes, a weapon that needs to be swinged in a wide arc?

Drill baby, drill.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Because they're the muscle guys, and axes and hammers are the muscle weapons. Spears are for pussies.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Because people always crib from the entrenched stereotypes and never actually think about how poo poo would work.

Let's do this. Dwarves dig, right? So most of their fighting is underground against other dwarf clans or whatever generic horrible monsters are down there, in tight, dark tunnels, mines and caves. Spears would work, or shortswords. Build spearheads or blades into picks and mining tools so that you can defend yourself if surprised. Small shields and no large weapons, because you don't want to get anything snagged or trapped on rock. Armor could either be all around (because who knows what might sneak up on you?) or heavily focused on the front so that the only way up the tunnel is past a heavily-armored bastard, and groups can cover each other by standing back to back.

But let's go further. Dwarves are architects and tinkerers, so they'd devise something to solve the problem. Why even fight down there? Build wide rooms at key tunnel junctions where you can station crossbows and a unit of soldiers. Presto, instant chokepoints. Have rigged explosives that cause tunnel collapses because gently caress you. If you wanna get technological, bring flamethrowers. Stick the nozzle down the tunnel and hold the trigger until the screaming stops. Build traps everywhere. Fill in the tunnels with their corpses.

Open ground combat would be a different story, I guess. You'd outrun a Dwarf army all day, but if you get close you'd be dead. That is, if you can convince the Dwarves to leave their tunnels in the first place. Why would they? They're happy where they are, thanks. Good luck sieging a race that is basically self-sufficient underground. Pop round for tea sometime, would you?

Quick someone make this game.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
If you are mining, you have enough room to swing a pick. If you have room to swing a pick, you have room to swing an axe. Or am I underthinking this?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not even going to tie a mouse to my hand for this conversation, but I will point out that fantasy nerds tend to undervalue spears despite there being lots of cool spear stuff even in Tolkien.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dwarves have an obsessively categorised system of polearms which they insist are unique.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

chaos rhames posted:

Dwarves have an obsessively categorised system of polearms which they insist are unique.

this makes so much sense, gygax was a dwarf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm not even going to tie a mouse to my hand for this conversation, but I will point out that fantasy nerds tend to undervalue spears despite there being lots of cool spear stuff even in Tolkien.
No spears in Skyrim, that's the problem.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Deleter posted:

Because people always crib from the entrenched stereotypes and never actually think about how poo poo would work.

Let's do this. Dwarves dig, right? So most of their fighting is underground against other dwarf clans or whatever generic horrible monsters are down there, in tight, dark tunnels, mines and caves. Spears would work, or shortswords. Build spearheads or blades into picks and mining tools so that you can defend yourself if surprised. Small shields and no large weapons, because you don't want to get anything snagged or trapped on rock. Armor could either be all around (because who knows what might sneak up on you?) or heavily focused on the front so that the only way up the tunnel is past a heavily-armored bastard, and groups can cover each other by standing back to back.

But let's go further. Dwarves are architects and tinkerers, so they'd devise something to solve the problem. Why even fight down there? Build wide rooms at key tunnel junctions where you can station crossbows and a unit of soldiers. Presto, instant chokepoints. Have rigged explosives that cause tunnel collapses because gently caress you. If you wanna get technological, bring flamethrowers. Stick the nozzle down the tunnel and hold the trigger until the screaming stops. Build traps everywhere. Fill in the tunnels with their corpses.

Open ground combat would be a different story, I guess. You'd outrun a Dwarf army all day, but if you get close you'd be dead. That is, if you can convince the Dwarves to leave their tunnels in the first place. Why would they? They're happy where they are, thanks. Good luck sieging a race that is basically self-sufficient underground. Pop round for tea sometime, would you?

Quick someone make this game.

Spears are a good thought, so long as they are of the short kind, and not liable to need maneuvering in order to get through.
Shorswords and daggers are even more appropriate.

I don't know how I feel about the "great hall chokepoint" strategy. It seems like the sort of thing that requires more manpower (dwarfpower?) than it's worth, especially if you expect agile opponents, that can take advantage of the room to maneuver.

e: also consider fist weapons:

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 8, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Spears are a good thought, so long as they are of the short kind, and not liable to need maneuvering in order to get through.
Shorswords and daggers are even more appropriate.

I don't know how I feel about the "great hall chokepoint" strategy. It seems like the sort of thing that requires more manpower (dwarfpower?) than it's worth, especially if you expect agile opponents, that can take advantage of the room to maneuver.

Well we need to have big dramatic fights for player somewhere. Plus it's always worked in Dwarf Fortress! :black101: But they don't have to be "great halls" - just spaces big enough to bring more power to a point. Somewhere a small number of dwarves could hold off an enemy for an extended period of time. Also, they could just be larges spaces for a dwarf! You'd still be bumping your head on the roof and then you get your legs cut off by a dwarf who's cut the legs off all your buddies who went before you.

Dwarf warfare would probably be more like Terry Pratchett described it in one of the Watch Novels, where it's mostly digging and trying to collapse tunnels, interspersed with brief moments of horrific violence as two opposing sides accidently meet each other. Not sure how they'd deal with overland fighting, but it probably wouldn't be desirable.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You raise a good point: a certain amount of realism needs to be sacrificed for the benefit of drama.

This information is important to me, because I am trying to put together a sensible, fun, somewhat realistic and Tolkien-free fantasy setting. I am probably going to recycle some of your suggestions for that. The Silver League of Kobold Tribes thanks you.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 8, 2015

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Plague of Hats posted:

Which is strange, because spears were basically the best melee weapon in the world. I got taken along to some historical reenactment stuff once and did some basic fighting. gently caress spears, they're OP. His weapon is longer than yours, you die first.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is it not practical to knock the spear aside with your sword? I guess it wouldn't work against a formation, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I mean that if the chat thread is going to serve no purpose except as a recursive chamber of white noise posts and weird posturing that result in it being locked, gassed, repoened, then rinse repeat, it makes more sense to me to either A). tell the people doing so to knock it off instead of tossing the whole thread out and starting over or B). just not having a chat thread at all, since it's not like there's a shortage of other tradgame threads going on.

What exactly should a "chat" thread, a thread for light conversation, be if not largely white noise? What prevents you from simply scrolling over posts about whether it's okay to drink red wine with fish if you're playing the James Bond 007 RPG?

Doodmons posted:

Which is strange, because spears were basically the best melee weapon in the world. I got taken along to some historical reenactment stuff once and did some basic fighting. gently caress spears, they're OP. His weapon is longer than yours, you die first.

If you know a little about the history of weapons, it makes sense that swords are the most famous weapons where people used metal weapons.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is it not practical to knock the spear aside with your sword? I guess it wouldn't work against a formation, though.

Sure, if you can pull off knocking the spear aside and dashing in, you could punch someone right in the armor and break your hand open. Or it could turn into a wrestling match, or a knife fight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Sure, if you can pull off knocking the spear aside and dashing in, you could punch someone right in the armor and break your hand open. Or it could turn into a wrestling match, or a knife fight.
I don't think it would. Nobody ever figured out the grappling rules.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Well it's still better than becoming a shish kebab.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My dreams of playing Zangief were impossible from the very start

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why spears are so deadly. It's been a systematic problem throughout history that nobody's been willing to deal with that poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Egyptians: We're house-ruling it so bronze swords are better than spears now

Greeks: No, sorry, we're going to kill you with our spears and magic helmets.

Egyptians: Magic helmets?

Greeks: Magic helmets.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spears are exceedingly boss unless you are in an environment where the size could be an issue (like a pirate ship or something)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

spears are exceedingly boss unless you are in an environment where the size could be an issue (like a pirate ship or something)
*shoots you down like Indiana Jones while you twirl your spear*

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Tekopo posted:

*shoots you down like Indiana Jones while you twirl your spear*

Two words for you:

FIX...BAYONETS!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

Two words for you:

FIX...BAYONETS!
Bayonets were actually mostly psychological weapons (at least in the ACW).

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Egyptians: We're house-ruling it so bronze swords are better than spears now

Greeks: No, sorry, we're going to kill you with our spears and magic helmets.

Egyptians: Magic helmets?

Greeks: Magic helmets.

Ancient Greek helmets were renowned for their universal penetration so I'd probably rule them as magic as well.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Effectronica posted:

If you know a little about the history of weapons, it makes sense that swords are the most famous weapons where people used metal weapons.

I'll be honest, I don't even know a little about the history of weapons. Why did swords get so popular?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

I haven't played ImpAss, because I kickstarted Dungeon Saga and I'm getting more dungeoncrawler in a couple months than I'll know what to do with, but Armada is pretty great. The movement system is cool, the dice are more consistent than X Wang, and star destroyers are rad as gently caress. I haven't really done any fleet building yet, but even just the basic box is a great game.

Awesome. I think I will go with Armada since I have Descent for my dungeon crawling itch.

Bendigeidfran posted:

There's a decent set of links here to what you might be looking for, mostly to Amazon. And I think there's an OD&D thread in Trad Games that might have people willing to sell to you?http://www.waynesbooks.com/dungeonsdragons.html

Awesome, thanks!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doodmons posted:

I'll be honest, I don't even know a little about the history of weapons. Why did swords get so popular?
They're cool. Swing! Fwoosh! Ha! En garde!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Philip II of Macedon pretty much used a cheat code when he started issuing the Sarissa to his armies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Philip II of Macedon pretty much used a cheat code when he started issuing the Sarissa to his armies.
That's why they called him Dark Side Philip.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Have any of you played Seventh Sea before. Did you like the system? The setting? Cya.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why they called him Dark Side Philip.

Wowww! Wowwwww! Yeah how the hell I'm supposed to beat those Thebans? All right guys, guess we are going to take longer spears this time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Have any of you played Seventh Sea before. Did you like the system? The setting? Cya.

The system is not very good, advancement is glacial if you do it at the rates suggested in the books, and the basic premise of the setting (swashbuckling fun pirate adventures) is undermined by every bit of metaplot the additional splats add on.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Wowww! Wowwwww! Yeah how the hell I'm supposed to beat those Thebans? All right guys, guess we are going to take longer spears this time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

There's like a bunch of chat threads on other forums and they are all for white noise and I dunno what you mean with posturing, brother, but I agree that Ettin must let go of the coward's way and let a thousand posts bloom even when they end being opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Doodmons posted:

1. They're cool.
2. They're the next natural outgrowth of the knife after spears.
3. They're expensive and thus show your wealth and power.
4. They're versatile.

• Locked thread