Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Actually women are literally MacGuffin on it according to renowned movie forum Cinema Discusso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Spoiler tags? Do we do spoiler tags? I'll use spoiler tags just to be safe.

I had heard the buzz about how Fury Road was a feminist-empowering film (or however you want to phrase it) before I went to watch it, so it definitely threw me for a loop that they had to rescue a half-dozen literal supermodels wearing not much more than rags.

Also, I do know some of my girl friends that didn't really like it, saying that even though the women weren't objectified and the cinematography wasn't done with a male gaze, it was still very much an action movie with guns and explosions and stuff that mostly only appeals to male audiences*, just that it wasn't offensively bad towards women while it was doing all that.

* Insofar as the segregation of media into "male-appealing" and "female-appealing" is also a gendered construct.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I had heard the buzz about how Fury Road was a feminist-empowering film (or however you want to phrase it) before I went to watch it, so it definitely threw me for a loop that they had to rescue a half-dozen literal supermodels wearing not much more than rags.

Also, I do know some of my girl friends that didn't really like it, saying that even though the women weren't objectified and the cinematography wasn't done with a male gaze, it was still very much an action movie with guns and explosions and stuff that mostly only appeals to male audiences*, just that it wasn't offensively bad towards women while it was doing all that.

* Insofar as the segregation of media into "male-appealing" and "female-appealing" is also a gendered construct.

lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Everywhere I look I hear people saying how much Fury Road is a great movie and that is great to see a female in a leading role in an action movie... with the exception of one, that is absolutely convinced that the opposite is true.

Can someone who has actually seen the film tell me if these criticisms are correct? It seems odd for a film to generate such diametrically opposite reactions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1deRc9QyiddibqVpe40rWTH7ASINzZ3O234_q_nF1KNw/edit

Well it does make the mistake of assuming that certain traits are inherently gendered, which isn't a brand of feminism or even a POV that I'd consider particularly coherent. It's the same view that another feminist critic recently took and many people disagree on the idea of things like "violence" and "vehicle skills" somehow being masculine.

Also I dunno where it came from but I wouldn't really put much stock in an anonymous Google doc? Just saying :shrug:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

I went LARPing at the weekend and lost count of the number of times I heard "Witness Me!", "I live! I die! I live again!" and "What a day! What a lovely day!" when fighting.

It wasn't LT, was it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Also I dunno where it came from but I wouldn't really put much stock in an anonymous Google doc? Just saying :shrug:

I'm guessing that was a c&p as to not give the actual source hits.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Serf posted:

It was linked by Bogleech, a person whose art and worldbuilding style I very much enjoy, whose principles I generally agree with but whose opinions and methods sometime take me aback. It was apparently written by his girlfriend, who he agrees with. I still haven't watched the movie so I can't form an opinion as of right now, but I was just so surprised that it could give two so very different impressions on people, even by Internet standards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, that whole thing is pretty much a purposeful misinterpretation of the movie's themes and the things that actually happen on-screen.

Go see Fury Road.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, that whole thing is pretty much a purposeful misinterpretation of the movie's themes and the things that actually happen on-screen.

Go see Fury Road.

I cannot refuse an order next to a picture of the Mayor. It will be done.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Doodmons posted:

It wasn't LT, was it?

Empire. Don't know if LT had the same problem but I wouldn't be surprised - i'd have to ask my mates who went.

It helps for Empire that reincarnation is pretty much the biggest thing in the PC's religion, so "I live, I die, I live again!" could pretty much be the motto for the entire PC nation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

It was linked by Bogleech, a person whose art and worldbuilding style I very much enjoy, whose principles I generally agree with but whose opinions and methods sometime take me aback. It was apparently written by his girlfriend, who he agrees with. I still haven't watched the movie so I can't form an opinion as of right now, but I was just so surprised that it could give two so very different impressions on people, even by Internet standards.

Like I said, the crux of the argument has been said before by a prominent feminist critic, which caused a lot of backlash by people who enjoyed the movie. There is a branch of feminism that believes certain concepts can be coded by gender, but those are usually associated with older, less-inclusive kinds of feminists who are not people I agree with. Things like Furiosa's anger and martial skills are seen by them as masculine traits, which is pretty ridiculous. Women have been mad and warriors for just as long as any other gender, the concepts are not exclusive to men.

Also, they gloss over the best parts of Furiosa's prosthesis, which I was very impressed by as an amputee. The movie treated its amputee character way better than most other films.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Go see Fury Road.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is Fury Road feminets enough? Is Furby Robe femunim? Fenger Rolls femnem? Fump Rop flengy? Fib ra fumfum?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is fury road paul blarr mall blarr?!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Serf posted:

Also, they gloss over the best parts of Furiosa's prosthesis, which I was very impressed by as an amputee. The movie treated its amputee character way better than most other films.

While watching the film I was wondering how they did the effects for her prosthesis. Apparently the answer is 'paint Charlize Theron's forearm green'.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

go see fury road, literally the worst that can happen is you feel like you wasted $15 and two hours of your life (this won't happen tho)

Serf
May 5, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

While watching the film I was wondering how they did the effects for her prosthesis. Apparently the answer is 'paint Charlize Theron's forearm green'.

Yeah, and that effect was fantastic with how many times it moved from light to shadow and was in motion. Whenever it was onscreen I was watching it and never noticed the effect itself messing up.

The more impressive part to me was just how they never used it in one of the many expected ways. They never explained it, no one ever stared at it, the camera never lingered on it, she never had it taken away from her and it never broke. It was just a part of her and that's really amazing to be honest.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm not the first person to bring this up, but it bears mentioning that a) Fury Road is a good movie, b) Fury road is a good action movie, and c) Fury Road is a feminist movie. There's quite a bit of overlap in that particular Venn diagram, but they're all distinct points worth discussing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, if your criticism is that it's an action movie with attractive people then I dunno.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zurui posted:

Like, if your criticism is that it's an action movie with attractive people then I dunno.
"Feminism" means "ugly chicks", doncha know.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FMguru posted:

"Feminism" means "ugly chicks", doncha know.
Oh, is this what we're doing now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zurui posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, to be clear. I only brought up what I did because it was the only time I'd heard of people not liking the movie, from women, no less.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zurui posted:

Don't forget criticism of an action movie for having... action.

There's a lot to criticize in action movies, but having violence and explosions is sorta core to the genre.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Why would you take someone saying "well this character was only raped by one person, that's not as bad off as these people i've made up" seriously?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*in the blue djinn from that gorillaz music video voice* Finally, someone let me out of my cage. Now time for me to discuss feminism in movies and games.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I ain't happy, I'm feeling GLAAD

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[in Plutonis voice] After ten thousand years I'm free! Time to make bad posts!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Del the Funky Homosapien.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrainParasite posted:

Del the Funky Homosapien.

Yes

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Serf posted:

The more impressive part to me was just how they never used it in one of the many expected ways. They never explained it, no one ever stared at it, the camera never lingered on it, she never had it taken away from her and it never broke. It was just a part of her and that's really amazing to be honest.

I think it got destroyed in the final battle, but otherwise yeah.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Also a friend of ours runs LARPS, and he seriously want's to run a Spirit of 77 LARP at the next con. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

Doesn't your game use PbtA? Maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't seem like it'd translate well into a LARP.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

I think it got destroyed in the final battle, but otherwise yeah.

Only because she chose to use it that way. Another sad cliche is the weaponization of prosthetic limbs (which can be effective, trust me). But the movie went the whole time with her just using it like a regular limb, I think she earned the right to use it to kill Joe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
man, I was interested in Fury Road, but now that I realize it has some deeply problematic tropes I feel safe in my decision to just ignore it completely and feel contempt for any who do not follow suit.

Dec 26, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Yes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

man, I was interested in Fury Road, but now that I realize it has some deeply problematic tropes I feel safe in my decision to just ignore it completely and feel contempt for any who do not follow suit.

:mediocre:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh my loving God, I am crying here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ok, yeah, you got me, Doof Warrior alone justified the entire ticket price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:boom:

• Locked thread