Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
The problem I have with this and I realized it is that I actually like the high budget 80's television because it was absurd in the good ways. Stuff like Knight Rider from a technical standpoint was surprisingly not bad and pretty good for the time period. The plot on the other hand was batshit crazy to the point where I couldn't tell if they had made an action comedy or were trying to play it straight.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MadScientistWorking posted:

The problem I have with this and I realized it is that I actually like the high budget 80's television because it was absurd in the good ways. Stuff like Knight Rider from a technical standpoint was surprisingly not bad and pretty good for the time period. The plot on the other hand was batshit crazy to the point where I couldn't tell if they had made an action comedy or were trying to play it straight.

See Also: A-Team

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Error 404 posted:

See Also: A-Team

The A-Team reboot movie was actually good, though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mr. Maltose posted:

The A-Team reboot movie was actually good, though.
How was the A-Team because I was thinking of going back looking at the tv series? The only shows I watched during my 80's binge was Knight Rider and McGuyver.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MadScientistWorking posted:

How was the A-Team because I was thinking of going back looking at the tv series? The only shows I watched during my 80's binge was Knight Rider and McGuyver.

Original A-Team owns.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The A-Team also had an absolute poo poo-ton of surprising celebrity guest stars, even for an 80's tv show.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Were dinosaurs even that big a part of 80s pop culture? Seems like much more of an early 90s thing. 80s were more the decade of neon green and pink sabertooth tigers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

My Lovely Horse posted:

Were dinosaurs even that big a part of 80s pop culture? Seems like much more of an early 90s thing. 80s were more the decade of neon green and pink sabertooth tigers.

They were, just not quite as overtly huge as they'd become in the 90's due to Jurassic Park

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

KF is a bunch of youngins thinking they are doing 80's but really mashing in a lot of early 90's. Streets of Rage color-swap protagonist? Dinosaurs? Hammer time? Mortal Kombat fatalities? All 90s.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So on a side note about games, are there any games that keep combat and non-combat rules equal? It seems even the "narrative" games I see end up having a separate section for their special fight rules. I want an engine that doesn't put an emphasis on combat rules, or at least puts an equal emphasis on social rules.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

at least puts an equal emphasis on social rules.

Exalted.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

To say nothing of the crafting rules,

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProfessorCirno posted:

So on a side note about games, are there any games that keep combat and non-combat rules equal? It seems even the "narrative" games I see end up having a separate section for their special fight rules. I want an engine that doesn't put an emphasis on combat rules, or at least puts an equal emphasis on social rules.
HeroQuest? Everything is a Contest and treated under the same rules, whether it's a fight, a court case, or an effort to get a wall of sandbags in place before the river floods

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ProfessorCirno posted:

My suggestion is the One-Roll Engine. Depending on the flavor of gama that you want, there's Wild Talents, Reign and Monsters and Other Childish Things. The last one is particularly appropriate because it has Relationship that make your characters act better at the risk of damaging said relationships.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

I want an engine that doesn't put an emphasis on combat rules, or at least puts an equal emphasis on social rules.
I think HeroQuest 2 comes closest out of the games I'm familiar with. It has conflict resolution rules, with literally no rule used primarily for combat. No hit points (all "wounds" are equal, whether physical, social, emotional, spiritual, whatever), no rules for armor and weapons (items are just abilities used to solve problems), no rules for fighting on high ground, in the dark, etc (just generic rules about situational modifiers).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

To say nothing of the crafting rules,

:whitewater:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Torchbearer/Mouse Guard treats physical combat as just one flavor of conflict.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well, since Torchbearer and Mouse Guard has already been mentioned, you may also want to check up on FreeMarket, another of Luke Cage's game. Engine Hearts, Risus, and Teenagers from Outer Space.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

paradoxGentleman posted:

My suggestion is the One-Roll Engine. Depending on the flavor of gama that you want, there's Wild Talents, Reign and Monsters and Other Childish Things. The last one is particularly appropriate because it has Relationship that make your characters act better at the risk of damaging said relationships.

I love MaoCT and will recommend it whenever I get the chance. It explicitly makes insults and social humiliation capable of damaging your kids' stats.

Also A Dirty World, which is one of my favorite interpretations. You don't really have hit points exactly but certain kinds of damage "slide" your stats around. As you get beat up physically, you get more cruel and you can hit back harder. As you are insulted you may become less courageous, and so on. It's really neat for the chosen genre (film noir) and revealing a secret about your character's past can be as dangerous as a powerful gun.

Better Angels adds some other wrinkles in order to make the base system work for superheroes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
MaoCT might be what I'm looking for, as it'd be a modern setting built around if not straight up teens, then post-teens to very early twenties.

I was thinking about just going gently caress IT and going full on OTHERKIN: THE GAME, YOU GOT A DRAGON SOUL. I know there was a game built very much along those lines (Fireborn? I think? Something like that) but it was focused more on dragon super heroes saving the world from evil magic, which isn't really my aim, and had some weird mechanics and issues.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ProfessorCirno posted:

You're gonna love A Dirty World. 90% of the character sheet there indicates not what you're good at by experience, but what's your headspace at the moment and all the physical/social/whatever conflict is all about shifing and knocking out those points. Throwing a grenade and outing someone as pedo is literally the same rule.

This lends itself to imo best modelling of social conflict to date. If you try to intimidate someone, you can't just roll and force an other person to do something, but rather threaten go go medieval on their charsheet until its owner bows down (out of his free will) to hopefully make you leave him alone.

Also, instead of straight XPs, you can get more points by doing some very rigidly codified things, e.g. you can get more deceitful if you let somebody betray your character's faith. Not only does it make so that powergaming is roleplaying, but the specific wording of triggers gets everyone grounded firmly in genre conventions (the single most efficient way to level up in this game is to keep tormenting and deceiving other players like a noir rear end in a top hat you are - or letting them use you).

Better Angels re-used this system, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

In Spellbound Kingdoms, social combat runs off the same rules as actual combat and is just as deadly, thanks to the setting feature of emotions = magic. Hell, mix and matching both is encouraged. Bad guy tries to kill you, dodge away and continue your speech about how he's worthless.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

MaoCT might be what I'm looking for, as it'd be a modern setting built around if not straight up teens, then post-teens to very early twenties.

I was thinking about just going gently caress IT and going full on OTHERKIN: THE GAME, YOU GOT A DRAGON SOUL. I know there was a game built very much along those lines (Fireborn? I think? Something like that) but it was focused more on dragon super heroes saving the world from evil magic, which isn't really my aim, and had some weird mechanics and issues.
I've skimmed Fireborn, and it was neat. I actually liked that it had "scripted" combat kind of like Burning Wheel where you could get bonuses for doing a combo of moves in a certain order.

Martial arts are hard to do right in games. The best iterations I've seen are probably Street Fighter (not kidding here) and the various ways of doing it that pop up in Eden's Unisystem games.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I've always been kind of curious about Fireborn. Someone should F&F it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've skimmed Fireborn, and it was neat. I actually liked that it had "scripted" combat kind of like Burning Wheel where you could get bonuses for doing a combo of moves in a certain order.

Martial arts are hard to do right in games. The best iterations I've seen are probably Street Fighter (not kidding here) and the various ways of doing it that pop up in Eden's Unisystem games.

I'm sure it's cool, but, like I said, kung-fu dragonborn who fight evil wizards isn't really what I'm going for.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

Cortex+ is probably what you are looking for, since the rules for any type of conflict resolution, wether it be combat, debates or races is always the same. The hackers guide has all three flavours handled too! (Drama, action and heroic.)

Depending on your setting, Dogs in the Vineyard is also good.

But enough about your problems, I need some help with Roll20 and macros, should I just ask here or is there a thread? I can't seem to find a way to do what I want with macros as shown through their tutorials.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who's the idiot that is gonna make the June thread?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Did I say something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Who's the idiot that is gonna make the June thread?
Me, nobly: I... will be that idiot. *waves little flag*

• Locked thread