Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stellanatus
May 6, 2015
Hi future teacher here! I plan to start teaching chemistry to high schoolers in a few years and then work my way up to being a university teach. I want to save up long term to start a business to help people financially and make little gains for a secondary job. Here are a few I came up with:

"bread Winner" - I bake bread myself and sell it out for $1. what makes it good though is that the bread will contain 50 grams of protein, multivitamins, and some healthy oils. Regular bread for 50 cents. Almost none-profit

"The Under 200er Club" - I lease bedrooms for $200 or less to college students and to people trying to get back up on their feet. Bathrooms/showers in separate building and a massive lounge room.

"We Grow It" - Greenhouse/store. The produce is grown on the isles. Shoppers pick tomatoes and what not off the plants and proceed to the cashier. cutting off the grower/supplier I could sell for dirt cheap. Yet theres tons of problems with the store (like people breaking plants)

Im certain one or two of these I will achieve. If you guys have better ideas let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm a bouncer for weekends. If you find a nice bar it's 90% of the time almost free money, although in the 10% it can be pretty/very dangerous. Still, I like my job.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Don't do any of these unless you want to be pouring your lovely teacher salary down the drain. Also, don't become a high school teacher as a stepping stone to becoming a college professor, that's not how it works.

ETMPlus
Jul 28, 2008

You're going to be the Eleventh Commandment: 'Thou shalt not get away with it.'

Stellanatus posted:

Hi future teacher here! I plan to start teaching chemistry to high schoolers in a few years and then work my way up to being a university teach. I want to save up long term to start a business to help people financially and make little gains for a secondary job. Here are a few I came up with:

"bread Winner" - I bake bread myself and sell it out for $1. what makes it good though is that the bread will contain 50 grams of protein, multivitamins, and some healthy oils. Regular bread for 50 cents. Almost none-profit

"The Under 200er Club" - I lease bedrooms for $200 or less to college students and to people trying to get back up on their feet. Bathrooms/showers in separate building and a massive lounge room.

"We Grow It" - Greenhouse/store. The produce is grown on the isles. Shoppers pick tomatoes and what not off the plants and proceed to the cashier. cutting off the grower/supplier I could sell for dirt cheap. Yet theres tons of problems with the store (like people breaking plants)

Im certain one or two of these I will achieve. If you guys have better ideas let me know!

open a hot dog stand in reform, al, and convince goons to fund it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stellanatus posted:

This sounds like the beginning of the plot of the Breaking Bad TV series. That guy worked at a car wash for extra $$$ and ended up making a lot of money.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zogo posted:

This sounds like the beginning of the plot of the Breaking Bad TV series. That guy worked at a car wash for extra $$$ and ended up making a lot of money.

Only the op's idea of a car wash would be paying him drive your car into a lake.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.

Stellanatus posted:

5 year HS science teacher here.

Your current plans seem quite time intensive, and your first years teaching will probably be VERY BUSY. Consider spending your first year at least just getting good at your job, as you will probably be kind of bad at it at first, and if you are running a side business selling vegetable bread to college kids, you will have a hard time improving.

I make silly money on the side doing tutoring. If you work in a wealthy area, you can charge upwards of $100/hr for tutoring in science, math, and especially standardized test prep. You'll have to be good and have a good reputation, but it's certainly possible. In big cities people can charge even more. Get a book, do all the tests, learn it like the back of your hand. Once you've done a good job with a bunch of kids, their parents will talk to each other and you'll get people calling you out of the blue. Making a website is a good idea for the sake of legitimacy and as a place to post testimonials -- you probably won't get many hits from it, but it lets people know you're not a shady backalley kidtoucher.

Figure out your skills, figure out what people are willing to pay for, then make your money and never skip guacamole at chipotle again.

Stellanatus
May 6, 2015

Clobbermeister posted:

5 year HS science teacher here.

Your current plans seem quite time intensive, and your first years teaching will probably be VERY BUSY. Consider spending your first year at least just getting good at your job, as you will probably be kind of bad at it at first, and if you are running a side business selling vegetable bread to college kids, you will have a hard time improving.

I make silly money on the side doing tutoring. If you work in a wealthy area, you can charge upwards of $100/hr for tutoring in science, math, and especially standardized test prep. You'll have to be good and have a good reputation, but it's certainly possible. In big cities people can charge even more. Get a book, do all the tests, learn it like the back of your hand. Once you've done a good job with a bunch of kids, their parents will talk to each other and you'll get people calling you out of the blue. Making a website is a good idea for the sake of legitimacy and as a place to post testimonials -- you probably won't get many hits from it, but it lets people know you're not a shady backalley kidtoucher.

Figure out your skills, figure out what people are willing to pay for, then make your money and never skip guacamole at chipotle again.

This seems to be the best advice. Not branching out the first year of teaching sounds good. tutoring sounds like a great thing also. Thanks for that

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Stellanatus posted:

I'm assuming you're in the US, in which case you should know you cannot teach college-level without at least a Master's and probably a PhD. Many junior and community colleges will hire professors with just an MS, but for any university teaching job you need a PhD.

That said, private tutoring is a fantastic way to make some side cash. If you can build a good reputation and/or get a couple of weekly regular tutoring gigs (much better than one-off "help me prep for test HELP" jobs) you can earn a couple hundred bucks a week for very little time and energy invested.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Yea I was going to say I've never heard of someone 'working up' to teaching chem in college. Chem is one of those PhD's you typically go for right out the gate from undergrad, and even if you are looking at chem education going the HS route is a waste of time if your eventual goal is teaching Uni level.

I do know people who do the jump from HS -> grad STEM degree but it's just because they decided they hated teaching HS, not because it was a useful step. That said I find it hard to believe this was a serious thread, considering the OP thought that new teachers totally have the time to run 2nd businesses that generate little to negative revenue, :lol: We're going to change the world brah.

tsa fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 8, 2015

Stellanatus
May 6, 2015

tsa posted:

Yea I was going to say I've never heard of someone 'working up' to teaching chem in college. Chem is one of those PhD's you typically go for right out the gate from undergrad, and even if you are looking at chem education going the HS route is a waste of time if your eventual goal is teaching Uni level.

I do know people who do the jump from HS -> grad STEM degree but it's just because they decided they hated teaching HS, not because it was a useful step. That said I find it hard to believe this was a serious thread, considering the OP thought that new teachers totally have the time to run 2nd businesses that generate little to negative revenue, :lol: We're going to change the world brah.

I want to start with HS to have some idea. Also teaching at an university/college I assume there has to be some work background besides.no-skill underpay jobs. Lastly I don't think I can get that far in education without a middle road job to help get me there..

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Helpful background work for becoming a professor would be stuff like becoming a lecturer, research professor, or visiting professor. None of those are tenure-track jobs, by the way, which I assume is what you're referring to when you say you want to be a professor. Assistant professor, as in someone who has just gotten their PhD and is beginning to teach, is entry level.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Stellanatus posted:

I want to start with HS to have some idea. Also teaching at an university/college I assume there has to be some work background besides.no-skill underpay jobs. Lastly I don't think I can get that far in education without a middle road job to help get me there..

I'd say you should do some more research on becoming a professor, because this isn't a good way to do it if that's your ultimate goal. It'd be better if you tutored college students if you want a small taste of college teaching. Teach k-12 is nothing like it, and it wouldn't be considered as a cross-over skillset. At best it would help you get money to afford the application fees, since you shouldn't go to a PhD program that doesn't give you funding unless you have to. Or you want a PhD in Education or something related.

If you want to teach at a university level, then you need to get an MA or PhD. With the competition in that market, a PhD would be your best bet for any post secondary teaching. Having k-12 teaching experience won't help at all, and may hurt you if applying to rear end in a top hat departments that look down on that sort of thing.

Academia works much differently than your typical type of job when it comes to how you're evaluated. Being a TA while you're in grad school is how you'd get the teaching experience colleges would be looking for. You'll be judged by the research you do and the professor you work with, as well as conferences you go to and present at. A lot of universities care more about research than teaching experience, and are pushing teaching responsibilities to adjuncts that barely get paid above minimum wage.

If you want a job that would help you to be a professor until going to grad school, get one related to the discipline you'd teach in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Stellanatus posted:

Speaking as someone who finished their PhD in a STEM field this spring and is looking for teaching/instructor jobs, HS and college teaching are completely different animals and career tracks. Teaching HS isn't particularly relevant experience for teaching college, and vice versa. The qualifications and career paths are completely different, too. Teaching K-12 you have to take actual education classes and acquire certifications and so on. Teaching at a college level as long as you have an MS or PhD you're good to go. You'll likely start at the bottom rung as an adjunct instructor or whatever but it makes zero sense to me to "work your way up" into college teaching by starting with HS.

That said, you might teach HS for a couple years and decide gently caress this, I'm going to grad school and becoming a college instructor. You'll need a graduate degree either way to teach college and any HS teaching experience is not going to be really relevant.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Helpful background work for becoming a professor would be stuff like becoming a lecturer, research professor, or visiting professor. None of those are tenure-track jobs, by the way, which I assume is what you're referring to when you say you want to be a professor. Assistant professor, as in someone who has just gotten their PhD and is beginning to teach, is entry level.

Worth pointing out that tenure-track jobs are extremely competitive and difficult to get, and they're almost always research positions of some sort. A tenure-track professor will be expected to continue researching and publishing to secure tenure. If you just want to teach, you might look into tenure-track positions at community and junior colleges and some small liberal arts schools, though the latter are still going to expect you to do research in addition to teaching. Professors usually do some teaching, yeah, but it's not primarily a teaching position at most institutions.

Edit: and the actual classroom experience will be quite different between a big university, a small lib arts school, and a community/junior college. You need to ask yourself what sort of classroom (and outside the classroom) student interactions you enjoy and find rewarding. Perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively, community colleges can pay really well relative to entry level jobs at bigger institutions. I have several friends who are JC professors with masters degrees and are making six figures.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 8, 2015

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

tsa posted:

That said I find it hard to believe this was a serious thread, considering the OP thought that new teachers totally have the time to run 2nd businesses that generate little to negative revenue, :lol:

Yes this was definitely the part where I started to wonder if he was serious

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stellanatus posted:

Also teaching at an university/college I assume there has to be some work background besides.no-skill underpay jobs.

The work background for every single full-time university/college job in the US is a PhD. All academic jobs are extremely competitive and high school chemistry is not considered work experience. You should apply to good PhD programs and work on getting as many teaching hours as possible if you want a full time teaching job. You might be able to get a part time/adjunct job in a two year college from high school work but then you'll make sub food-serverice wages. It's not a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I'm assuming you're in the US, in which case you should know you cannot teach college-level without at least a Master's and probably a PhD. Many junior and community colleges will hire professors with just an MS, but for any university teaching job you need a PhD.

FWIW, I teach as an adjunct lecturer at a local public university and only have a Bachelor's degree. It really depends on the school. It pays okay and is a nice supplement to my regular job.

• Locked thread