Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoobles

discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall

by LadyAmbien
Better Call Saul more like Better Characters

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pig slut lisa

irl is good

the owl noise

treasure bear

a lot of people hated her because she got in the way of her abusive evil husband producing an extremely harmful drug

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Cumt posted:

a lot of people hated her because she got in the way of her abusive evil husband producing an extremely harmful drug

----------------

joke_explainer

I never understood the Skyler hate. Like it was somehow projection, like, 'Ugh! Why is this dumb woman trying to keep Walt from doing these hurtful destructive things??'

Anna Gunn, the actress who plays Skyler, wrote an essay about it that was pretty good for the ny times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html?_r=0

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
yeah sure, skyler was right about literally everything she ever said to Walt, but get this...she was kind of a bitch about it

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
which if to say, she was rightfully angry and terrified oh her husband for both directly and indirectly placing the entire family in danger, but women shouldn't talk to their betters like that

----------------

Android Blues

yeah skyler was basically a well-drawn, capable female character w/ agency who happened to be set up in a way that stymied walt's Cool Hijinks and I think the hateful response to her in general was indicative of just how rarely that kind of character is allowed to exist in TV/movies.

people are used to their female leads being smiling emotion sponges for the hero

FluffieDuckie

Pomp posted:

which if to say, she was rightfully angry and terrified oh her husband for both directly and indirectly placing the entire family in danger, but women shouldn't talk to their betters like that

-.-

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

joke_explainer

Stand by your man, even if he's a psychopath that nearly gets you murdered several times, I guess is the message america wants to convey

boy this thread would sure have been timely a couple years ago

Wertjoe

Whoa, I was expecting to come in here and defend Skyler but here you guys are, making sense.

<3 byob

ulvir

walt, in addition to being a mass-murdering psychopath, was a rapist

yet people still kept their sympathies with him.

gently caress the internet

smoobles

ulvir posted:

i missed that episode

----------------

Wertjoe

smoobles posted:

i missed that episode

Its the one where he forces Skyler to have sex with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

ulvir posted:

Walt is sympathetic for awhile starting out, and once people like someone they don't take their abuse seriously ever

source:ask anyone who's ever been abused lol

----------------

• Locked thread