Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: Cheeky 1-Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No new help sheets for the enemies, we'll be seeing them in the final video. So, as we head into the hardest levels Keen 5 has to offer, I should probably remind you of the stakes.

This, like Keen 2, is what happens when you run out of lives, though there's no way to activate it through normal play.

Literally, Goodbye Galaxy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing our solar system would probably be completely fine, even if it was flung completely out of the galaxy. Just fewer stars to look at at night.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good thing our solar system would probably be completely fine, even if it was flung completely out of the galaxy. Just fewer stars to look at at night.

Looking at the compression wave and general approximations of the density of interstellar gas before we could be completely flung free the entire solar system would likely be engulfed in the equivalent of a supernova event.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 4: Git Tae gently caress

And there we go, another game done. It's very short, but really, really fun. Keen 5 is definitely one of my favorites, but unfortunately, I couldn't tell you much about it. All the levels (bar one, laddie) all play really well and are great fun. And we're even back on schedule, woo.

So, we've got one more game to go. And it's a real interesting one. Good. But interesting.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mars, the Bringer of War!

I've always liked the Robo Reds, as they remind me of the characters from 4D Sports Boxing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's not all of them, laddie, but it's the ones I care about.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Confirmed Shikadi as nazis.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slightly offensive perhaps. I quite like bagpipes but that was awful. Just like that level.

Looking forward to Keen 6, it had some really cool enemies if I remember correctly. :)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, the bagpipe music did make all the edits where he cut out to save/load very, very obvious.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Appetizing Pizza

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those... green things look just as I remember them. :3:

I really like the find grappling hook mechanic. Sure the game is mostly linear but it gives you a reason to explore all levels to find the special things you need. Um, just like all other Keen games except 5 which forces you to do all of them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Those moving platforms have a tiny guy sitting under them, controlling the platform.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Carbon dioxide posted:

Those moving platforms have a tiny guy sitting under them, controlling the platform.

I kept meaning to ask what those were.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I kept meaning to mention it, but don't until Part 3, sorry!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm pretty sure I still have that manual somewhere, and I know where all my Apogee cheat sheets are.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The purple background in the Dome actually reminds me of one of the weirder wall textures for Wolfenstein 3-D.

wolf65, row 5 line 5, but without the skulls.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No enemy pages since there's 5 to a page and we haven't seen a full page yet. Maybe next video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now I would like to see the HOURS of challenge and enjoyment added by the hazard areas.

Then again, if you're not very good at this game it could easily take you hours upon hours of deaths. And enjoyment. But mostly deaths.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The Keen games are all 320x200 16 color games (4-bpp for 16 total colors).

By the way, you might want to try cycles max in DOSBox to see if you can smooth out the game a bit - Keen is pretty well programmed and should work. Plus it greatly reduces the load times.

Crosspeice posted:

No enemy pages since there's 5 to a page and we haven't seen a full page yet. Maybe next video.

Well, and also the names of the enemies are used for copy protection to prevent people from just downloading the game.

Although I'm not sure Apogee 3DRealms cares any more. (Spoilers at that link.)

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 4, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's sort of :psyduck: that he can make and pilot an interstellar ship, yet can't acquire better protective headgear than a football helmet, when you think about it.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
At least the point items are more appetizing this time.. I mean who wants to eat a bag of sugar anyway?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

oldskool posted:

It's sort of :psyduck: that he can make and pilot an interstellar ship, yet can't acquire better protective headgear than a football helmet, when you think about it.
It's a pretty good helmet considering he can pogo into the ceiling repeatably with no ill effects.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

oldskool posted:

It's his brother's, meaning it's for good luck and probably magical!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shame it doesn't protect you from anything else. Would've been cool if it actually stopped projectiles, or let you hit your head on ceilings of spikes or whatnot.

Maybe in the next Ke- oh.

:saddowns:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does the game ever say anything about the brother? I've forgotten.

:3:

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

oldskool posted:

Totally a Blazkowicz family heirloom liberated from a nazi science lab.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Poil posted:

It's a pretty good helmet considering he can pogo into the ceiling repeatably with no ill effects.

It's a football helmet. Sadly poor Keen was so badly concussed after his adventures on Fribbulus Xax that he never was able to do Keen 7.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

I was sort of thinking the adventures of Commander Keen are we the audience experiencing Billy Blaze's playtime fantasies. All this saving the galaxy stuff isn't really happening, but rather, we get to see Billy's imagination in action, which to me is rather more powerful. And so his big brother's football helmet is obviously some experimental hyper-armor or something.

Steelpudding posted:

At least the point items are more appetizing this time.. I mean who wants to eat a bag of sugar anyway?

An eight year old boy with an overactive imagination.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Steelpudding posted:

People who are forced to eat MREs for one.
Who actually holds the right to Keen 6 these days? I noticed a while ago steam is only selling the first 5 Commander Keens.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 5, 2015

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
As far as I can tell Atari sold the rights a couple of years back but no idea since then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Probably into the big black hole that is EA's gluttonous limbo, as usual. :argh:

Fastest way to find out would probably be to announce you're going to sell it and see who sues you over it. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: One Keen Enters

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
According to Masters of Doom, Adrian Carmack (ID's art guy - no relation to the famous other Carmack) grew bored with Keen's cutesy art style after a while and wanted to do something more :black101:. That's why we got the infamous hanging Keens in that Doom 2 secret level.

Keen 6's slightly creepier styling might have been an effort to experiment a little.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

I was sort of thinking the adventures of Commander Keen are we the audience experiencing Billy Blaze's playtime fantasies. All this saving the galaxy stuff isn't really happening, but rather, we get to see Billy's imagination in action, which to me is rather more powerful. And so his big brother's football helmet is obviously some experimental hyper-armor or something.

Which is why I always draw parallels between Keen and Calvin & Hobbes, as they're both child geniuses with a space hero alter ego.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
SO I got drunk again and recorded 2 levels of Bubsy 3D, guess I'm doing that now?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

KieranWalker posted:

Counterpoint: Keen canonically gets a pet alien and also leaves his parents paralyzed for so long they get stuck in a thunderstorm.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hang on, Blooguards are three times as intelligent as regular Bloogs?

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Poil posted:

Hang on, Blooguards are three times as intelligent as regular Bloogs?

Hey, they have harnessed the power of tools for themselves. That's pretty impressive for drooling idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Steelpudding posted:

Hey, they have harnessed the power of tools for themselves. That's pretty impressive for drooling idiots.
That's true.

But I do wonder who built and is maintaining all the structures. And how in the world does that species posses interplanetary space travel? Those little yellow things piloting the moving platforms? A mysterious grand intellect? I doubt it's the Nospikes or those sniveling red boot things.

• Locked thread