Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kalonZombie posted:

Counterpoint: Keen canonically gets a pet alien and also leaves his parents paralyzed for so long they get stuck in a thunderstorm.

...All in his mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Poil posted:

Hang on, Blooguards are three times as intelligent as regular Bloogs?

Doesn't Keen himself get stunned by reflected shots? Does that mean he's dumber than a Berkeloid or Mad Mushroom?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
He only gets stunned briefly. The other guys get stunned indefinitely.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's one last cool thing to note about the Keen series and it's about how crap the Keen Dreams ending is. Since Softdisk required games to be a whole 360kb (I have Word documents larger than that!), there's was quite a bit cut out, including the music. The only thing left of the ending is this gif.

There was also a planned sequel called "Keen Meets the Meats", but it never came to fruition and has instead been created as a mod.

In any case, there's only three videos left to go over the coming week and that'll be all 7 official Keen games done. What a journey.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: Cult of Verticality

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Xenoveritas posted:

He only gets stunned briefly. The other guys get stunned indefinitely.

So he's about as smart as an arachnut. Acceptable.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's only three enemy pages and, finally, here's one of them!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Surec posted:

Doesn't Keen himself get stunned by reflected shots? Does that mean he's dumber than a Berkeloid or Mad Mushroom?
Not everyone can be as smart as dopefish. Well to be fair, you can't hoot him at all. But that's only because he is smart enough to live under water.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
~[CMDR_KEEN]~ discharges into the water.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are Blooglets a subspecies of Bloogs? This is important.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They're kid Bloogs, but for whatever reason we never see any Bloogs other than green. Perhaps the green ones eat the other colours to grow. Or they learned how to hold clubs first.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh. :smith:

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Crosspeice posted:

They're kid Bloogs, but for whatever reason we never see any Bloogs other than green. Perhaps the green ones eat the other colours to grow. Or they learned how to hold clubs first.

The racial politics behind Fribbus Xax are pretty intense.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Melting laptops don't stop the LP train (completely).

Part 4: The State of Gaming

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'm a bit late to mention, but in the previous episode you had a small complaint about the UI being in the way... That's one of the options in the configure menu in all three of the games.

edit: nevermind i think you did that trick a couple times

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dying less than 15 seconds into the video is pretty skillful. :v:

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Poil posted:

Dying less than 15 seconds into the video is pretty skillful. :v:

Doesn't look that hard.. Especially since it happened in the last one too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheez posted:

I'm a bit late to mention, but in the previous episode you had a small complaint about the UI being in the way... That's one of the options in the configure menu in all three of the games.

...huh. Well things to know for Keen 7-9!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Steelpudding posted:

Doesn't look that hard.. Especially since it happened in the last one too.
Yeah but that was because of the start surrounded by Blooguards dickmove. It doesn't count.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know whether it's just because it's the first one I played or what, but Keen 6 is my favourite by far, and the only one I actually finished, I think. I must have been six or seven when I first played it and I remember being stuck on Guard Post One for ages. And then Bloogfoods Inc. for even longer. That level seemed so impossible at the time.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Keen 4-6! :woop:

I remember playing the gently caress out of Keen 4 as a kid. I never beat it because I could never complete the Well of Wishes. So I spent months with 7 Gnosticenes and just gave up. :eng99:

I'd really love to see a Keen 4-6 VGA conversion. There are some "VGA tiles" for Keen 1-3 but they're not very impressive, especially since they don't affect Keen himself:

Poil posted:

Oh, man. I remember playing through the Well of Wishes for the first time as a kid. Gently gliding through the water and OH gently caress GIANT SCARY FISH SWALLOWED ME WHOLE! :gonk:

Swim swim hungry :neckbeard:

edit
I really like the description for the inchworm. It's fits very well.
Someone buy :dopefish: right now.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 12, 2015

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
These sure are pumping up the nostalgia - Until I bought the ID Bundle on Steam, I'd never played Keen (or Wolf3d) with anything other than a PC speaker. Basically the game sounded like the Keen 1 LP, rather harsh but somehow still sends me on a 90s wave of nostalgia.

You guys should do Jill of the Jungle :)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Interesting, I've never seen those before. I do kinda like the more muted colours.

Part 5: Molly's My Bloogbae

And there we go, that is every mainline Commander Keen game. All there is left is the fanmade Universe is To-

-what? There's one more game for this thread? You don't mean...

gently caress

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Crosspeice posted:

Interesting, I've never seen those before. I do kinda like the more muted colours.

They didn't bother actually giving Keen himself the "VGA" (I suspect the tiles are not actually 256 colors on a single palette) treatment so he still looks like a Wolfenstein mutant and clashes with the background. There are no Keen 4-6 VGA tilesets, just "HQ" versions of the original EGA tiles that are crudely filtered and look like garbage.

They're part of Commander Genius, a Keen source port with the usual source port features (widescreen, native Windows/Linux/OSX, high resolutions, OGG music for Keen 4-6, Keen 4-6 controls for Keen 1-3, 60 FPS, etc.).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 13, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Finally, someone else who thinks as eating cold pizza a gross and disgusting thing.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

kalonZombie posted:

Finally, someone else who thinks as eating cold pizza a gross and disgusting thing.

cold pizza is the grossest poo poo and you are now my brother

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Cold pizza is edible, thus fine. It's not especially delicious though.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
If the pizza is within 10 ft of the microwave there is no point to eat it cold. Unless the last piece is the type that you can eat in 1 large bite.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It utterly depends on what kind of pizza we're talking, here. A Turkish pizza with ample salad on it works just fine cold, but I wouldn't attempt to eat one of those 4-cheese, meat-slathered, deep pan monstrosities if it was anything but torrid.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You have pizza for dinner, but because you ordered such a large one, you can't finish it, so you put it in the fridge and have it for breakfast. :can:

ANYWAY, to the surprise of no one, probably, Mortimer McMire is still alive, which the ending of Keen 5 kinda told us. However, if you had translated the letter, you would've known all the deepest secrets.

DEAR BILLY
YOU FELL FOR MY ANDROID
DUPLICATE PLOY IN THE MANGLING
MACHINE AND NOW YOUVE FALLEN
FOR IT AGAIN
IM BLOWING UP THE UNIVERSE NOT
THE STUPID GALAXY
THIS WAS JUST A BIG DISTRACTION
DODO
TAG YOURE IT
MORTIMER

PS GANNALECH IS HOW THESE DUMB
SHIKADI PRONOUNCE GRAND
INTELLECT
OR DIDNT YOU NOTICE THAT MISTER
THREE FOURTEEN

And while I remember, this is the only thing that changes if you don't destroy the fuse in the secret level.

That's it.

Finally, the last two enemy pages.

See you all tomorrow for what may be the worst game in the series.

AGAIN.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

The Fleex are amongst the finest engineers in the universe, having designed all the buildings and devices on Fribbulus Xax. Unfortunately, the Bloogs built them, devastating the sleek and elegant design
:allears:
That explains so much about the level design.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I'd say Keen 4 was the most polished and most memorable of Keens. Each level was kind of unique, and there was the dopefish.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm actually fond of Keen 5. It has tight design, a good feel of progression and progress, and some of the best music in the series. There's a bit too much reliance on "invincible monster with semi-random movement" enemy concepts, but this is forgiveable.

4-5 is definitely the high point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Five was good, but it lacked a ravenous, dumb and green monster. :colbert:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I do like Keen 4 the most. It's strange that a fresh new engine has a better overall game than some of the later Keens did, even though they were mostly the same and virtually all the work to be done was in adding in new assets and levels, most of the enemy types even running off older behaviors.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually enjoyed Keen 6 the most.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

kalonZombie posted:

Anyone that thinks cold pizza is good hasn't had good pizza before.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would you eat it cold? Just heat it up and it tastes so much better.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Why would you eat it cold? Just heat it up and it tastes so much better.

Pizza that has cooled off is still a cold pizza no matter how much you try to rescuscitate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

As a pizzologist, I can say with 100% certainty that cold pizza can be good on a case by case basis, and reheated pizza can be good on a case by case basis as well, with separate results for microwave and oven. Now if you'll turn attention to the blackboard, I've created a pizza flow chart...

• Locked thread