Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Okay so I have posted in two different Acura-specific forums and no one's biting, so I thought I'd try here.

I have a 2010 Acura TSX 2.4L 4-cyl with a 5spd automatic transmission. I bought it in 2013 with about 44k miles on it, and since then I've put about 42k on it. It's not certified used. I haven't had a problem with it (outside the brakes pulsating, which I took care of) since I bought it until now.

Last week I started hearing a ding telling me there was a problem. Usually, there will be info on the screen in my gauge cluster telling me what it is, but this would flash and go away before I could see what it was. Finally this weekend it stayed on for a few seconds before it went away--it was telling me I was low on oil. Now, I'm about 1k miles away from my next oil change, and I've always had my oil changed on time or even before I hit the mileage. No oil has been leaking from this car--I've never seen even a drop of oil underneath it. So the only things I can figure are 1) the guys who last changed the oil didn't add enough, or 2) it's burning oil.

I've read up and there is a TSB for this particular problem as it affects 2009-2010 years for this model, which calls for replacement of the piston rings and sometimes the pistons themselves. It's technically way more common on the 6spd manual models, but very rarely affects the automatic transmission models. The problem is the Acura forums I've been reading say it's been downgraded to a warranty extension, and since my car wasn't bought certified, I have no warranty. I am seriously doubting they will do the work on this without asking for beaucoup bucks, and the service dept at my dealership is pretty infamous for being untrustworthy anyway. I have maybe a 25% chance of even getting a loaner from them.

What does an oil consumption check entail, how long does it take, and is it even worth doing? I'd rather not have to worry about topping the engine off with oil as this car really only takes synthetic and it's expensive as gently caress. Basically I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk that the engine is burning enough oil to make me have to just keep quarts in my trunk. In the long run it's probably less expensive than paying for the work to be done, but it would be ongoing whereas having the work done would just be paying the cost and that's it. As anyone can probably tell by the mileage I've put on this thing, I drive for work a whole loving lot, and have advised my fiancee that whereas she may want to keep her car until the wheels fall off, I'm probably going to need to trade in within two years anyway, even though I could be fine in this Acura past 200k probably; by that time though, it'll be worth like 1/4 of what I paid for it just due to the mileage.

Is this my excuse to buy an environment-destroying pickup truck?

edit: mods I realized I just posted this in the main forum, and I meant to post this in the stupid questions thread and I'm a dumb goon and I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Does this car not have a dipstick? Or an oil level indicator on the dash somewhere. You should be checking your oil once a month or so between changes. If it is actually low, and not a bad sensor, you'll catch it long before it's low enough to trip the warning and can top it off at home. A quart of synthetic is about $8, it might take half of that. I think you're drastically overthinking this.

• Locked thread