Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finished a(n Experienced difficulty, so one step up from beginner :negative: ) run over the several days when early backers had the release build.

Obvious MVP: Cloak Mk3. Once every eight turns (or less with cooldown reducers), get out of jail free card for one or more agents. Also, it costs 650 credits. Totally nuts, I managed to pick up two just before the final mission.
Dark horse MVP: the Incognita program that permanently tags all visible guards for 3 power. This gets real useful once you have multiple guards loose from patrol paths.

The starting team I currently strongly favor is Banks (non-archive) and Sharp, because having a keycard from the word go lets you have a lot more flexibility in route choice, and Sharp's just awesome. +1 KO duration at 3 augments, +2 at 6. He also comes with an extra point in Hacking, which is surprisingly handy. Edit: oh, and Fusion/Parasite, which has been my go-to program loadout since forever. Slower but monstrously efficient. Even more important in the release build, where some of the most awesome agent equipment and augments use power!

The last level was hilarious. I don't know if it always has around the same balls-hard ending layout or if I just got lucky.

Invisible Inc was pretty awesome from the moment they put it into Early Access, and it's only gotten better. Strong contender for my Game of the Year 2015, I suspect.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

redreader posted:

I finished it on beginner on Sunday night, then tried experienced. I'm getting my rear end utterly destroyed. The biggest difference is the fact that the guards just go anywhere now. Actually I have a question for you: On experienced I was doing a level that had glass walls. 2 guards were in a glass-wall room. They saw me so I sneaked behind a safe. I looked at their pattern, they were going to walk up to the safe right next to it so I readied a melee attack. They did something (?) in their turn that knocked out both of my agents for 2 turns though. I was hidden from their sight so I'm not sure how they could have shot me or something. Do guards on experienced, come with like, gas grenades or something?

I'm about 80% sure that enforcers occasionally have a stun grenade instead of a scan grenade. Or maybe elite enforcers always have one and I just usually gank them too fast.

Bonus round: don't stand directly behind a door when being pursued by an alerted guard. :haw:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 12, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is it just me or is the ambush mechanic not working? I open a door to coax a guard to my location, have an agent beside the door on taser ambush, only for the guard to stop past the door and immediately spot my agent without the overwatch proc'ing. Is this working as intended?

Maybe you got the geometry wrong? It's been working fine for me for a while.

Alternatively, maybe he was more armored than your agent can handle?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the most overpowered character ability/augment combo I got playing this game was Internationale's remote hacking and the augment that gave you extra movement points whenever you hacked something. I was zipping across entire levels like I had wheels on.

End mission tip: bring along some armour piercing weapons.

You get one for free.

It just has a downside. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I would have my agent against the wall right next to the opened door, so that when the guard walks through he'd be right next to my character and thus trigger the ambush. For some reason this doesn't seem to be happening and I can't figure this out. And these are beginning enemies, not the armored ones.

Maybe take a screenshot (ideally with guard path) and I'll take a look.

I guess it could be an unusual bug, but I haven't encountered it yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Axetrain posted:

Just thought I would let everyone know that Red Letter Media did a review of this game while it was in early access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-BnU2AToU8

Their main complaint was that the alarm timer went up too fast but otherwise they liked it.

It's extremely feasible to be in and out with a huge pile of loot before alarm level five on most levels on most difficulties.

(And N+2 guards, a few more cameras, and a firewall boost ain't a huge deal.)

On Expert Plus, you're going to need to make some (more) tough choices on what loot is feasible to grab.

OTOH, beginner's probably entirely feasible for pretty much everybody!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 13, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

When you rescue an operative, is there a way to get them a taser that I didn't notice? Was I supposed to loot a safe in that cell block, or something? It's nice having a third pair of hands, but it would be nicer if she could KO people :v:

Buy a spare from a nanofab and carry it until you can hand it off. :colbert:

Spares are handy anyway, they don't share cool down (other than 1 attack/turn for Not Nika).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

It would have been nice to have an agent that specializes in getting past guards beyond Decker starting with a cloaking item. Maybe a way to mess with guard patrol patterns or levels of alertness in some way.
Not saying that's what Prism should have been, but it's something that the agent roster doesn't really cover, unless you count assault and cold-blooded murder.

Also:

All 4 guards in the big room are on simple patrols that will lead them back into it the turn after they leave it. They also patrol in pairs.

Not pictured: Dr. Xu's lack of any kind of weapon, Incognita not having Wisp, the second guard patrolling the level exit, me abandoning all hope.

Distract one pair and quite probably mug it, run through and or distract the other pair. Alternatively, sit on the first pair until your tasers recharge.

It would take a distressing amount of time, but in itself is solvable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

I have a long road before me to get to this expert plus nonsense. I'm durdling around in my initial beginner run, I go to raid someone's rolodex, and I end up having two of my agents trapped circling a pair of tables avoiding a gun drone who never lets the hallway leading away out of its sight, while a second closes in on the guy waiting next to the objective while I slowly charge up from zero power because I was a little too quick to hack stuff and ran out of access points to drain, and meanwhile the extra cameras turn on and trap my fourth in the exit as a guard comes charging in looking for the jerk what stunned him and stole his key. Oops.

If need be, just ignore the cameras - if the guard that comes to check on things doesn't see you, he'll go back to his prior duties.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

question, how many squares away does an enemy need to be to see you around a corner? This is hard to explain without pictures but if you're hiding on the south side of a cube and the guard is standing next to an adjacent face, he can't see you. If he's one additional square east/west, he still can't see you. At some point he'll be able to see you because of the angle. What's the breakpoint?

If you've got the hiding-behind-surface signifier, there is no breakpoint. If he is on a row or column in the obscured direction, he'll never be able to see you (except for some weird "noticed" corner cases I haven't figured out, but they seem to only happen when the dude's basically next to you. Maybe when he wants to patrol into your space and can't?).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dyzzy posted:

They'll look around (and sweep through the full 180 in front of them) if they're hunting at a spot marked by a ? but an unalerted guard on patrol shouldn't do that.

Also, wisp owns so hard. I managed to dodge 5 alerted guards in a single room just by having all their paths plotted out.

Wisp is the secret best tool in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

The first time I found Xu in a game, I didn't use him much and so wasn't aware of this, then told him to disable the Security Hub in the final mission. Can't say I recommend it.

:laffo:

Well, that's one way to make it an epic siege.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dav posted:

It's one of the difficulty settings. They never will on beginner, but it's certainly happened to me plenty of times. Including once rather memorably on the final mission. Kinda hard to hide 6 people or KO somebody with 6 armor on the first turn :(

Shock trap III. :smug:

Or cloak III, the Master Item.

Edit: well, any shock trap, for this particular problem, really.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 26, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dav posted:

Yes, a shock trap would have been very helpful :(
I have a better idea as to what I want to have by the final mission now, but at the time I didn't even know that armor 6 was a possibility.

You can actually encounter said barrier guards in one of the corps on the last day, but it's entirely possible (especially with the incentivization of hitting missions in clusters) that you... won't.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

One free kill on an Armor 2 guard every mission is probably the best use of an inventory slot you can get.

RIP backpacks full of Mk3 Cloaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Big Sean posted:

Prism got both a flurry gun and anatomy analysis early (my other favorite aug), which allowed her to kill one enemy a map without triggering any alarm. Later on, she got both the +1 AP syringe item (can't recall the name) as well as a Stim IV, which gives.... unlimited attacks per round. The flurry gun of course has unlimited shots per round, but only works for one round. I'm sure everyone can see where this is going.

:black101:

That is an awesome interaction, please do not change it Klei.

• Locked thread