Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CBS Upfronts.

2014-2015 Scorecard

Returning Series
The Big Bang Theory
2 Broke Girls
Mom
The Odd Couple
Mike and Molly
NCIS
NCIS Los Angeles
NCIS New Orleans
CSI Cyber
Scorpion
Madam Secretary
Person of Interest (13 episode order)
Criminal Minds
Elementary
Hawaii Five-O
The Good Wife
Blue Bloods

Cancelled Series
The McCarthys
The Millers
CSI
The Mentalist
Battle Creek
Stalker

2015-16 Schedule (New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET)

MONDAY
8-8:30 PM The Big Bang Theory
8:30-9 PM LIFE IN PIECES
8-9 PM SUPERGIRL (Starting in November)
9-10 PM Scorpion
10-11 PM NCIS: Los Angeles

TUESDAY
8-9 PM NCIS
9-10 PM NCIS: New Orleans
10-11 PM LIMITLESS

WEDNESDAY
8-9 PM Survivor
9-10 PM Criminal Minds
10-11 PM CODE BLACK

THURSDAY
8-11 PM, ET/ NFL Thursday Night Football (Premieres Sept. 17)
5-8 PM, PT
8-8:30 PM The Big Bang Theory (RTP) (Starting in November)
8:30-9 PM LIFE IN PIECES (Starting in November)
9-9:30 PM Mom (Starting in November)
9:30-10 PM ANGEL FROM HELL (Starting in November)
10-11 PM Elementary(Starting in November)

FRIDAY
8-9 PM The Amazing Race
9-10 PM Hawaii Five-O
10-11 PM Blue Bloods

SATURDAY
8-9 PM Crimetime Saturday
9-10 PM Crimetime Saturday
10-11 PM 48 Hours

SUNDAY
7-9 PM 60 Minutes
8-9 PM Madam Secretary
9-10 PM The Good Wife
10-11 PM CSI: CYBER

New Series

Drama

CODE BLACK

quote:

Based on the award-winning documentary by Ryan McGarry, is a heart-pounding medical drama that takes place in the busiest, most notorious ER in the nation, where the staggering influx of patients can outweigh the limited resources available to the extraordinary doctors and nurses whose job is to treat them all – creating a condition known as Code Black. At the heart of the ER’s controlled chaos is Residency Director Dr. Leanne Rorish (Academy Award winner Marcia Gay Harden), renowned for successfully performing high-risk procedures in Center Stage, the trauma area reserved for the most critical cases. Her four new first-year residents are Christa Lorenson (Bonnie Somerville), Malaya Pineda (Melanie Kannokada), Mario Savetti (Benjamin Hollingsworth) and Angus Leighton (Harry M. Ford). Leanne’s confidante, Jesse Sallander (Luis Guzman), is an amiable seen-it-all senior nurse who manages the residents. Also working in the ER is Dr. Neal Hudson (Raza Jaffrey), an excellent physician who sometimes disagrees with Leanne’s “cowboy” approach, and Dr. Rollie Guthrie (William Allen Young), the energetic, longest-serving attending. In Center Stage, life is measured in seconds, and these heroic doctors and nurses operate with speed and skill within an overwhelmed system to treat the crowds of people who are often there for one of two reasons: to die or to receive a life-saving miracle. Michael Seitzman, Marti Noxon, Linda Goldstein-Knowlton, Ryan McGarry and David Semel are executive producers for ABC Studios in association with CBS Television Studios. The pilot was directed by David Semel (“Madam Secretary”).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-iNKQH_n38

LIMITLESS

quote:

Based on the feature film, is a fast-paced drama about Brian Finch (Jake McDorman), who discovers the brain-boosting power of the mysterious drug NZT and is coerced by the FBI into using his extraordinary cognitive abilities to solve complex cases for them. Working closely with Brian in the major case squad in New York City is Special Agent Rebecca Harris (Jennifer Carpenter), a formidable investigator with a dark past, and Special Agent Boyle (Hill Harper), a former military officer and Rebecca’s confidante. They report to Special Agent in Charge Nasreen “Naz” Pouran (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio), a canny manipulator of the reins of power. Unbeknownst to the FBI, Brian also has a clandestine relationship with Senator Edward Mora (Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper, recurring), a presidential hopeful and regular user of NZT who has plans of his own for his new protégé. Fueled now with a steady supply of NZT that enables him to use 100% of his brain capacity, Brian is more effective than all of the FBI agents combined, making him a criminal’s worst nightmare and the greatest asset the Bureau has ever possessed. Craig Sweeny, Marc Webb, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Heather Kadin, Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips, Ryan Kavanaugh, Tucker Tooley and Tom Forman are executive producers for CBS Television Studios in association with K/O Paper Products and Relativity Television. The pilot was directed by Marc Webb (“The Amazing Spider-Man” 1 and 2 Feature Films).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZpdTR1mTY

SUPERGIRL

quote:

An action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Golden Globe Award winner Calista Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (David Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime. Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler, Sarah Schecter and Andrew Kreisberg are executive producers for Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. The pilot was directed by Glen Winter (“Arrow”).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo

CRIMINAL MINDS: BEYOND BORDERS

quote:

Stars Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Gary Sinise in a drama about the specialized International Division of the FBI tasked with solving crimes and coming to the rescue of Americans who find themselves in danger while abroad. Heading the department is Unit Chief Jack Garrett (Sinise), a seasoned 20-year veteran of the Bureau. The team he trusts with his life includes Matthew Simmons (Daniel Henney), a former military hero with split-second profiling skills he honed on the battlefield, and Russ “Monty” Montgomery (Tyler James Williams), the unit’s compassionate, brilliant tech analyst who additionally liaises stateside with the families of those in trouble while his group is far from home. These exceptional agents are dedicated to safely returning U.S. residents home by profiling and identifying criminals who are beyond our borders. The pilot was a planted spin-off of an episode of CRIMINAL MINDS broadcast on April 8, 2015. Emmy Award winner Mark Gordon, Erica Messer and Nick Pepper are executive producers for ABC Studios in association with CBS Television Studios and The Mark Gordon Company. The episode was directed by Glen Kershaw (“Criminal Minds”).

RUSH HOUR

quote:

A reimagining of the hit feature film franchise, is a buddy-cop drama about a maverick LAPD detective and a by-the-book detective from Hong Kong who knock heads when they are forced to partner together. Detective Lee (Jon Foo) is a reserved, honorable master martial artist with lightning-fast moves who comes to L.A. to avenge his sister’s alleged death and learn more about her connection to a Chinese organized crime ring. Detective Carter (Justin Hires), on the other hand, is a wisecracking cop who plays by his own rules and has never wanted a partner. As exasperated as Carter’s boss, Captain Cole (Golden Globe and Emmy Award nominee Wendie Malick), gets with him, she knows he’s a brilliant detective who gets results. Attempting to help the two get along is Sergeant Didi Diaz (Aimee Garcia), Carter’s friend and former partner who doesn’t hesitate to call him out on his antics. But even as cultures clash and tempers flare, Carter and Lee can’t deny they make a formidable team, and grudgingly admit that sometimes an unlikely pairing makes for a great partnership. Bill Lawrence, Blake McCormick, Jeff Ingold, Jon Turteltaub and the team behind the “Rush Hour” movies, Arthur Sarkissian and Brett Ratner, are executive producers for Warner Bros. Television. The pilot was directed by Jon Turteltaub.

Comedy

ANGEL FROM HELL

quote:

Golden Globe and multiple Emmy Award winner Jane Lynch in a single-camera comedy about Amy (Lynch), a colorful, brassy woman who insinuates herself into Allison’s (Maggie Lawson) organized and seemingly perfect life, claiming to be her “guardian angel.” Allison is an intense, driven doctor who is sure that Amy is just an inebriated, outspoken nut, until every one of her warnings proves true. Cautioned by Amy not tell anyone about her, Allison can’t discuss this over-the-top oddball with her father and business partner, Marv (Kevin Pollak), a sunburned dermatologist who shares an office with Allison, or her younger brother, Brad (Kyle Bornheimer), a pharmaceutical sales rep who lives over her garage. As Allison tries to push Amy away, Amy makes her final pitch: her sole mission is to provide Allison with helpful guidance that nudges her in the right direction in life – and it’s her final chance to prove herself as an angel. With that, Allison agrees to this unlikely relationship because maybe a weird friend is exactly what she needs… and what if Amy really is her “guardian angel”? Tad Quill and Emmy Award winner Don Scardino (“30 Rock”) are executive producers for CBS Television Studios. The pilot was directed by Don Scardino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7-PjlD2_M

LIFE IN PIECES

quote:

A single-camera comedy about one big happy family and their sometimes awkward, often hilarious and ultimately beautiful milestone moments as told by its various members. Of the three siblings, middle child Matt (Thomas Sadoski) may have just found his true love, his co-worker, Colleen (Angelique Cabral); his coddled youngest brother, Greg (Golden Globe and Emmy Award nominee Colin Hanks), and his wife, Jen (Zoe Lister Jones), are overwhelmed by the birth of their first child; and the eldest, Heather (Betsy Brandt), and her husband, Tim (Dan Bakkedahl), are dreading their impending empty nest so much, they’re considering having another baby. Their parents are Joan (Academy, Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Dianne Wiest), the family’s adoring matriarch who would do anything for her kids – as long as she agrees with it – and John (Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner James Brolin), the gregarious patriarch who’s searching for ways to soften the blow of turning 70. As the family’s lives unfold in four short stories each week, they try to savor these little pieces of time that flash by but stay with you forever, because these moments add up to what life’s all about. Niall Cunningham, Holly J. Barrett and Giselle Eisenberg also star. Justin Adler, Emmy Award winner Jason Winer (“Modern Family”) and Aaron Kaplan are executive producers for 20th Century Fox Television in association with Kapital Entertainment. The pilot was directed by Jason Winer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7wHKrSscw

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, the OP is very empty right now. But I'll be at work when all this is announced so here's a thread for discussion and I'll fill in the rest later.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OP Updated.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the two comedies look good, which is weird for CBS, but not so much the rest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Supergirl trailer was a big let down for me. I like Melissa Benoist but that trailer was wretched and completely turned me off to the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

computer parts posted:

Someone SuperMechaGodzilla made a point in another thread that it basically looks like what a Spiderman TV show would look like but with Supergirl.

I imagine a Spider-Man show would at least look enjoyable though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Y'all should remember the trailers for upfronts are basically cuts of the pilot story for advertisers anyway. They're not really meant to appeal to goons or comic book nerds or whoever, so I can sort of forgive some of the choices or scenes included as it has another intended purpose. I'm sure when we get closer to the air date they'll have some more stuff tailored for actual viewers and all that. Not to mention Supergirl is probably like a huge tentpole series in their schedule so they obvious cut the trailer for different reasons.

Trailers for upfronts are specifically cut to show the tone of the show and give a summary of the first episode. They're a much better judge of what the show is going to be than a movie trailer for a movie because ad dollars are at stake. They're supposed to tell you exactly what the show is and what it's going to be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

That's true but pilot-itis is a real thing. If you think a show should stand on its pilot that's a perfectly fine barometer as well but I'd rather wait until they have a bit more promotional material to see where they're supposed to go coming out of the pilot. Of course it's probably more of the same, but perhaps a little more refined is all.

Pilotitis is a real thing sure, the problems with that trailer were not fully with plot beats. It was mostly with tone and execution. Sure they could adjust that later on but it seems that's the show they're going for regardless of the details of the plot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Out of all the CBS stuff the thing I can't believe the most, even more than them having two comedies that look good, is that they were able to get Bradley Cooper in a recurring role on Limitless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

Did he even appear on screen with the main character during the trailer? It looks like the kind of role Cooper could shoot practically anywhere, and I'm sure he'll be making most people's annual salaries for half a day's work.

Well when the pilot was shot he was only supposed to be a one time guest star. They then announced this week he'll be recurring in the show as the mentor for the main character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

The movie had 3-4 endings on DVD, so I'd love to see which one they went with, but it's a pretty interesting concept to explore with talented actors and I assume Cooper is the addict who kicked the Limitless drug but still has a bit of a unique edge and is now watching a world where more and more people abuse the drug and seeing dark times he tries to guide the main actor into a position and power and control to make a better world.

I don't really know what the plan is, the whole point of the movie was you take an addictive drug that makes you literally superior but with diminishing returns and the biggest problem is what comes next, so a tv show isn't the best medium for that idea.

I never saw the movie but apparently his character is a Senator and is running for President and is still on the drug.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Melissa Benoist was really the only thing about the trailer I liked. And Mechad Brooks as Jimmy, but that's just because I like Mechad Brooks in general.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

So I don't know the first thing about any of DC's TV shows, but I was under the impression that all of their TV shows shared a universe separate from all the movies. But Supergirl appears to be a part of the DC cinematic universe? Is that right?

It's not part of the CW universe almost for sure. But we don't know if it's part of the movie universe or not. It could just be its own thing like Gotham.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah and people seem to love her and the new Superman movie about how people are afraid of him for destroying the city in the last one. I think the show is a wholly separate thing not tied to any other DC TV or movie properties.

Gyges posted:

Considering she's like 24 and 12 years older than Kal, they know they're cousins, Jimmy is a black man, and Kal is apparently giving her his baby blanket for a cape, this is not happening in the same universe as Man of Steel.

None of those things really preclude it from being in the Man of Steel universe though. But I agree that it's not.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria posted:

I'd have to dig for a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure I saw an article around the time CBS first announced it had ordered Supergirl to series, that said it WOULD be part of the CW universe (which'd probably make somewhat sense since CW is owned by CBS or CBS's parent company or something, IIRC). At the very least, they share executive producers. Whether or not they'd actually do any crossovers, beats me.

Nobody ever said that. The one thing we do know is that the producers of Arrow and Flash have said that Superman does not exist in their universe. So he's definitely not an already established and well known active superhero in those shows like he is in Supergirl and that pretty much means it's not part of the same universe.

Sober posted:

So apparently there is another cut with more action and the alien plot. 2 min long. The music is just as bad, just in the other direction of the one they used in upfronts.

http://cdn.springboardplatform.com/storage/Spoilertv.com/conversion/1523563.mp4

Well I see now why they didn't show more that fight. Either it's really not even close to done or it's just really really bad CG.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria posted:

"Though Supergirl will be airing on The CW’s parent network, Berlanti has already gone on record to say that the heroine exists in the same universe as the scarlet speedster and emerald archer, so we could be in for an epic cross-network crossover with The Flash and Arrow—and the superhero team-up spin-off, should it move forward."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/06/supergirl

Except there's no actual quote of him ever saying that. He said back in September that it was a possibility but that was before the show was even out of the script stage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I know, but the Arrow and Flash producers were just talking a couple months back about he they couldn't even use Metropolis as a city in their shows because of restrictions DC has. DC is notoriously weird about what they'll allow in some shows and not others. Just this season they've had to write a lot of things on Arrow out of the show because of the Suicide Squad movie. And the Bat-Embargo from their cartoons is pretty infamous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Do not discuss Man of Steel in this thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gamesguy posted:

Am I the only one who cringed while watching the Supergirl trailer?

Nope. Judging by the reactions I've seen in several places you're very much not alone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Supergirl pilot has leaked and if you wish to discuss it do so with spoiler tags. It should go without saying that no links will be posted here, but I've just said it anyway so I can't take it back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cross posting for the Chat thread. No spoilers, just general stuff.

Deadpool posted:

I watched the Supergirl pilot and while I would not call it good it's nowhere near as horrible as the trailer made it out to be. What's weird is the effects look so much better than they did in the trailer that I don't believe for a second they polished them up that much in a week. That means they used unfinished effects in the trailer when the finished effects were probably ready to go. The plane rescue is actually quite amazing for a TV budget. Even on a major network like CBS.

The biggest downside is that if you were to look at the dialogue in this episode you would think the main character of the show was "her cousin" because nobody ever shuts the gently caress about "him" at all. They say "his" name once in the intro and only refer to "him" like I am now for the rest of the episode. It's annoying as hell. Also he's been around for over a decade at least in this universe as he was already doing his thing as a superhero when Kara arrived as a child on Earth. How they're going to avoid using him on the show is certain to become distracting as there's no reason at all why he shouldn't be able to pop at to even just say hello to his cousin. I struggled not type out his name just in those few sentences, I don't know how they wrote that whole episode doing it. At one point Cat Grant refers to him as The Superlative Man. Talk about jumping through hoops.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Melissa but her acting was definitely off at times though. As if she were trying too hard. I'm sure she'll get more comfortable as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Drifter posted:

Were there complaints about that for that show?

Oh God, a million times yes. The smart thing that show did was get away from mentioning Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America in every episode though and then make it a plot point that the team operated completely unknown to those characters so it would be believable that they wouldn't show up. If Supergirl dials down the Superman references to like none and then lets the character do her own thing without everyone talking about her cousin all the time it will be fine. But it was annoying as hell in the pilot because the pilot kept trying to hit you over the head with a giant hammer that said "GIRLS CAN DO THINGS TOO" and then spent the entire episode comparing everything she did to her cousin. It was pretty terrible.

• Locked thread