Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why bother trying to ascribe a political status to imageboards where anyone can post anonymously? Hell, I don't even do it here where everyone's got a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

these places can serve as platforms to organize political speech and action, as well as harboring a certain branch of thought. as much as any internet community may describe itself as a place where free speech is valued, actually supporting free speech requires moderation and maintenance lest unpopular minority views be drowned out - one way something awful accomplishes this is by gating certain opinions into subforums. GIP was created partially because of long, tedious, angry flamewars in d&d between anti- and pro- iraq war opinions

It's interesting to hear the point of "Free speech requires moderation so that the less popular viewpoints can have their time to shine." The 4chan view of free speech, from what I've seen, seems to be "Free speech needs to be unmoderated so that no one can dictate the flow of it." I think both points have some merit, to an extent. If a mob mentality forms up, it can be very hard to get your opinion out without getting shouted down. Yet at the same time, if you've got someone who can flat-out remove anyone who might disagree with his or her opinions, that can be just as toxic.

Anyway, I think 4chan already does what you have said to an extent. /lgbt/ was made after the 4chan gay community complained about there being no where to really talk about that stuff outside of maybe /soc/ and /pol/, for example.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

If you see a traditional game/warhammer40k/dwarf fortress meme there is a 99% chance it came from /tg/, similarly if you see a meme about something television or movie related it probably came from /tv/.

I wish /tg/ would stop making Quest threads. They aren't good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The proletariat has seized the memes of production.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This site full of ironic racism makes me mad because it isn't my preferred website. I, as a proud Goon, have never allowed anything of that sort on this proud comedy forum. Why, if there were some sort of forum dedicated to making those jokes, I would just be aghast.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
4chan, much like SA, is full of people who gripe and bitch constantly about the site but continue to show up anyway.

Anyway, the place is more politically varied than you'd expect, much like how we're more politically varied than the "SJW-run Hellhole" stereotype that 4chan and some subreddits ascribe to SA.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

this could be an interesting discussion about how internet communities police themselves if people would stop getting personally offended when 4chan's honor is questioned

it's kind of evident there's something to be said about how anonymous boards attract and retain more broken brained people simply based on above mentioned phenomenon, unfolding right now

I just think people here exaggerate a lot about sites they don't post on. Not really mad, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ok, thanks for clarifying that you personally are experiencing no negative emotions because of this thread. there are however some people who are provoked enough by this thread to testily register their dislike for the argument, which itself is indicative of a defensive mindset - and this reaction is germane to the topic that anonymous boards do perhaps serve as an anti-hugbox and a launchpad for aggressive and anti-social speech

It's a pretty interesting topic. I've noticed that posters on 4chan get really testy when someone breaks anonymity in some way. People who use tripcodes to give themselves a name are disliked, announcing you're a girl or a minority of some kind when it's not relevant is met with derision, and so on. It does bring a sense of informality and equality that not many sites have when everything is going pretty well (no one is trolling and trying to piss certain groups off); your personal social status, whether you're well-off or poor, male or female, majority or minority, or whatever does not matter, only what you post. Granted, it falls apart once any sort of politics is mentioned, but it's pretty neat to post on even footing with others. No need for putting on a facade and trying to act like someone you aren't.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, it's what I said. Bringing up anything political like race relations, gender, etc. breaks the illusion because, obviously, not everybody fits in the typical 4chan poster archetype. Still, it's pretty nice for discussion of unimportant poo poo like movies, TV, games, and so on.

I do wonder what would alleviate that problem without flat-out removing anonymity altogether.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe I'm not explaining my position well. I don't think it's right or good that you can't just off-handedly mention "I'm a lady" or something and not get poo poo for it on 4chan. I just think that it's the closest you can get to real equal footing currently.

Also, I'm not sure that non-anonymous discussion does much better at preventing a majority opinion from taking hold. While 4chan users are really naive in thinking that anoymity solves that problem when all it does is make dismissing a "wrong opinion" impersonal, it's a tricky proposition to prevent cliques, posses, and mobs from forming up anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
To be honest, I'm beginning to think even the whole "equal footing" thing I was talking about doesn't really work. People are still jockeying for the attention and adulation you get for saying "right" opinions there, it's just usually tied to one thread than an entire posting history. Maybe I've just got an idealized concept of what I want anonymous posting to be.

• Locked thread