Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
4chan really became what it did because it prided itself on being reprehensible. That's especially true of /b/, which was the fount of what we'd call "chan culture." I'd say an equivalent would be SASS, which was composed of goons who in a similar vein held their shocking and terrible views as their defining characteristic. Their advocacy of racism, sexism, fascism, and other right-wing dogma had little substance to it, they weren't really political. Same of most anons, it was expected of you to be homphobic, racist, sexist, and not be called out for it and not to call out or criticize such behavior yourself. But then there are boards where it was political, such as /new/ and then /pol/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
doublepost

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 14, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Popular Thug Drink posted:

these places can serve as platforms to organize political speech and action, as well as harboring a certain branch of thought. as much as any internet community may describe itself as a place where free speech is valued, actually supporting free speech requires moderation and maintenance lest unpopular minority views be drowned out - one way something awful accomplishes this is by gating certain opinions into subforums. GIP was created partially because of long, tedious, angry flamewars in d&d between anti- and pro- iraq war opinions

And they do, /v/ and it's diaspora became the bastion for anti-feminism and reactionary beliefs within the context of gamers and the games industry. And the havoc they've wrought doesn't need to be mentioned.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

On that note, do you think the people that eventually left chan boards just moved on to Reddit?

There's a self-serving myth that anons who did migrate to Reddit were in fact "proto-SJWs" (I say that because the word wasn't around then) and were channers who wouldn't ascribe to their ideal of anonymity and free speech ( that is, being racist, sexist, reactionary, and never dissenting against such views).

This I don't think can be proven, but it's interesting that to this day, or at least before gamergate, channers used the term "redditor" to essentially mean "SJW," which is all the more bizarre because reddit never was some stronghold of leftist dogma or whatever, and channers only recognized that when they joined forces with redditors because of gamergate.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

You say that like its a bad thing? Their free culture is more vibrant and alive than SA's, and as a consequence is now a brighter light for the internet and larger producer of content. Many very funny people I run into in other places online will say that they used to be goons or used to read the front page but stopped because of the bullshit. Since SA is a place which seems to poo poo on "out there" stuff people with interesting things to say go to other places to say them.

It is quite a bad thing. Defining a community by it's output of memes is pointless when you don't even consider the cultural context which produced said content. 4chan being a crucible of bigotry and self-loathing cannot be ignored.

The "OC" argument is also a bullshit justification bigots make for keeping 4chan terrible. But I don't think the reprehensible morality of 4chan is what produces the content.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well that's a short one, it doesn't. Unless you just time traveled from like 2005.

I'd like to point out that I don't think there's any way to quantify and as such empirically compare the content outputs of different internet communities, so stating that this or that community produces "more and better content" is pure supposition.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

quite the fucker posted:

the most and best content right now is being made on tumblr

I'm seeing no original content. I am however seeing a whole bunch of racists who invaded the site from /pol/. The best people on tumblr don't produce "content" in terms of memes, catchphrases, or trash like that. The best people are knowledgeable bloggers who consistently produce insightful writings.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

quite the fucker posted:

the most and best content right now is being made on tumblr

I'm seeing no original content. I am however seeing a whole bunch of racists who invaded the site from /pol/. The best people on tumblr don't produce "content" in terms of memes, catchphrases, or trash like that. The best people are knowledgeable bloggers who consistently produce insightful writings.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

/tg/ actually produces content despite their crippling autism. But what of D&D? Here we find a great wasteland.

That's a bad comparison. D&D is best compared to /pol/ or /int/.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

If you see a traditional game/warhammer40k/dwarf fortress meme there is a 99% chance it came from /tg/, similarly if you see a meme about something television or movie related it probably came from /tv/.

All the shitpost memes you see on facebook, twitter, youtube, and such most likely come from /s4s/, /b/, or even /v/

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

eh, /v/ is more known for the base of reactionary internet stuff like the push back against paid mods for steam then it is for "memes", pretty on point with /s4s/ and /b/ tho.

The whole "MLG pro-gamer montage 420 sik n0sk0pe" aesthetic videos you see on youtube, and the stills from said videos on other social media sites, all come from /v/, and frankly has become much bigger than /v/ itself

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

This is par for the course for basically everything that happens on 4chan.

I guess, the production of such memes has literally shifted to facebook and twitter. I wonder if these content creators still have any connection to 4chan.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Didn't that kinda die off years ago? The pinnacle was March 3, 2012 after all.

That was just the first phase of it. The new ones have air horns, doge etc.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Woolie Wool posted:

You are literally talking about memes being produced by social media as if they're publishing houses. :cripes:

That's what "weird facebook" and "weird twitter" are. Dank meme factories. That's the explicit mission statement of meme producers.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

Baneposting and other things are every were and they all come from 4chan, it's still very much the big content producer of the internet.

It produces it, but loses all control over it once the newest memes reach facebook or twitter.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

The airhorns started in 2012, doge is just a dying gasp even less relevant than dogecoin itself currently is.

You're like That Guy who was still really into grunge in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

The earliest ones were all based on this parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjOVN6h7g, and this was the one that really started it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY and every /v/irgin came out with their own version, like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7ajLYz8rY. You can check out some archived threads for that where everyone dumped their own content and killed this fad within a week.

I didn't see any airhorns back then, the doritos and mtn dew meme wasn't around then either. Only the no scope stuff was there.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

The airhorns started in 2012, doge is just a dying gasp even less relevant than dogecoin itself currently is.

You're like That Guy who was still really into grunge in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

The earliest ones were all based on this parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjOVN6h7g, and this was the one that really started it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY and every /v/irgin came out with their own version, like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7ajLYz8rY. You can check out some archived threads for that where everyone dumped their own content and killed this fad within a week.

I didn't see any airhorns back then, the doritos and mtn dew meme wasn't around then either. Only the no scope stuff was there.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Looks like you weren't hip to the real noscope video vibe as much as I was back then. :smugdog:

If you made one yourself, maybe.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Bedlamdan posted:

There was a thread on /v/ that was discussing this thread, but the mods there thought it was dumb and deleted it after about twenty minutes.

Makes you think.

Archive link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Bedlamdan posted:

https://archive.moe/v/thread/294463531/#294464707

Just live for slightly under 23 minutes, yeah.

*quietly eyes this thread's timestamps*

SASS posts on /v/, too. Not surprised, if they're on /pol/ then...

• Locked thread