Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

You play as Maya Anderson, a certified hypnotherapist who uses a special technique to enter her clients’ inner worlds. One day she gets an offer to question patients of the mental facility where head doctor has mysteriously disappeared. While exploring patients' subconsciousnesses she unveils their personal fears and fights phobias all to find her own self and uncover much bigger, all-embracing problem.

Key features:

- Point-and-click adventure game enhanced by arcade elements;

- Intriguing story with a good old-fashioned romantic plot and a chance to save the world;

- Well-written characters' development;

- Unique art style, music, and atmosphere for each character's inner world;

- Sexy costumes for Maya (if you fancy).

Hypnotize characters, discover their inner worlds, fight phobias, regain your true love and save the humanity.

This is a good game. It is fun and good and always makes sense. It was originally exclusive to the iPad, but got a rather nice PC port which removed all the microtransactions that were present in the App version. It is a good port. It stars Maya, who is the main character. Sometimes other people will be in the videos. Maybe even you! Please enjoy these videos.

Videos

Part 1: A Streetcar
Part 2: A Sexy Club
Part 3: A Homeless Millionaire
Part 4: The Way White People Is
Part 5: Immortality
Part 6: Theoretically Relatively Good Update
Part 7: A Mosquito, My Libido
Part 8: Finale

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This space reserved

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Part 1: A Streetcar

This video features The Lesbiathan as a co-commentator. Do people like it when the videos are embedded? Did you know that you can fly in your dreams? Enjoy this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurQHENh5P4

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

this game is great and I thoroughly love it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowman posted:

It's good, right?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This game is great and everyone should buy it.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
As a professional psychiatrist I have taken it upon myself to do a bit of dream analysis for Detective Schwartz's dream. After omitting the usual stuff about wanting to gently caress her mom (everyone has at least a minor Oedipal complex), here are my major findings:

-Dressing up the naked mannequin of the detective represents her deep emotional attachment to her job; she feels naked and undefined without her position as a detective.
-The unpainted nails in the handcuffs represents Schwartz's repression of her feminine side; she feels restrained by her job as a police detective (hence the handcuffs). Basically, her job as a detective leaves little room for her to explore herself.
-Finally, the rusted gun covered in moss represents her worry about firing her weapon in the line of duty; clearly she's never had the need to fire her weapon (shown because its covered in moss and rust) and she's majorly worried about what will happen if she has to.

Clearly, the creators of HYPNOSIS attached great metaphorical significance to every aspect of this game, and I'm excited to see just how deep these dreams can get!

QuintusCunctator
Apr 26, 2015
Woah, this game is a cluster of scenes so disjointed, it almost plays like a fever dream. Quite fitting. Oh, and for some reason, cop Grace Jones is in it.

I bet this will be a fun ride!

QuintusCunctator fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 16, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, this looks interesting. But I can't tell if you're being honest when you say that this is a good game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love the The Sims-level talking animations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Part 2: A Sexy Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecim7V8L4Sk

This video features Lesbiathan, Great Joe, and Ceciltron's horrible audio quality and recording echoes that I couldn't fix. To those asking if Hypnosis really is a good game, yes, it is. You can buy it. Support the developer.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 16, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, if you want to be in a video you can let me know and we'll skype about it, yo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cowman posted:

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo! This game is amazing for reasons I cannot understand.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Some day
Love will find you
Break those
Chains that bind you

But for real, what are the green ether crystals for?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

SSNeoman posted:

Some day
Love will find you
Break those
Chains that bind you

Unironically a good song, though Roland Grapow's version is better than Journey's. :v:

Also, that's a good question.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Back when this was an iPad game, there was costume DLC. In this version you can buy costumes with crystals instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You can also buy hints or powerups for the combat minigame with crystals, though you have to unlock them first. It's all optional stuff, but you can grind for it if you want.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Part 3: A Homeless Millionaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnnzheTgJw

This video comes from the same session as the last one and has some of the same audio issues though I think I fixed most of them. It is a good video. We solve the problem of a man who is sad and rich. Enjoy the video please.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Love the Grace Jones cameo

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Wasn't one of the quotes on the loading screen something like 'have the patient pretend the solution works, and when they leave they'll forget they were even pretending'?

It would be kind of amazing if what you actually did was convince him that he had a happy childhood. Solving a problem by telling the patient that it's not a problem.

"So he killed his friend?" "No, his friend killed himself." *a minute later* "So it okay he killed his friend because he gave money to charity."

Just found that discussion interesting. I wonder if he just stole the money or it was left to him?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kgummy posted:

Wasn't one of the quotes on the loading screen something like 'have the patient pretend the solution works, and when they leave they'll forget they were even pretending'?

It would be kind of amazing if what you actually did was convince him that he had a happy childhood. Solving a problem by telling the patient that it's not a problem.

"So he killed his friend?" "No, his friend killed himself." *a minute later* "So it okay he killed his friend because he gave money to charity."

Just found that discussion interesting. I wonder if he just stole the money or it was left to him?

I think you're putting more thought into this game than its creators did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

We recorded part four, and it should have better audio quality this time. Should be up tomorrow, I guess. Look forward to Maya solving the problem of the destruction of American Indian culture and the theft of their lands through simple matching puzzles.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I didn't know Gust was making another Ar Tonelico game!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Holy gently caress, this game is fantastic. They solved adventure game puzzle idiocy by making it all LITERALLY dream logic. That's genius.

Is that rich hobo Richard Branson, or whatever his name is, the CEO of Virgin?

And one of the interstitial quotes is, "No man is a hero to his wife's psychiatrist," which confuses the hell out of me about who they thought their target audience was.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Whoever played Psychonauts must have been high up on the chain, not sure the average casual game team would have been smart enough gone so far to change the art style every level and had dream states as an out for the adventure game puzzles. Thank you mystery person, you made this game way more fun and memorable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Part 4: The Way White People Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Zbyb8tn2M

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:911:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART FIVE: THE FIFTH PART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2fmyOu72VE

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It looks like rich homeless guy is afraid that after he's cryogenically frozen to wait for a fix to some disease that I have no idea was mentioned before this section. But they don't unfreeze him.

So she hypnotizes him to... help other people. With an example of funding research. Which he's already done. And it looks like in this case it was a bad idea even by the protagonists' standards since she says it's driving the patients insane.

So in other words, she's a regular adventure game protagonist making everyone's lives worse.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kgummy posted:

It looks like rich homeless guy is afraid that after he's cryogenically frozen to wait for a fix to some disease that I have no idea was mentioned before this section. But they don't unfreeze him.

So she hypnotizes him to... help other people. With an example of funding research. Which he's already done. And it looks like in this case it was a bad idea even by the protagonists' standards since she says it's driving the patients insane.

So in other words, she's a regular adventure game protagonist making everyone's lives worse.

All Maya cares about is making people happy, regardless of whether or not they should be. It's very irresponsible.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Well, the first level was incredible - putting metaphorical bullets into subconscious dream guns was totally cool. It...really fell hard and I don't think this game is ever gonna get back to that level of weird awesomeness. I mean, USE MICROSCOPE ON SCIENTIST is about as dull as an adventure game can get.

It's not Psychonauts anymore, it's more like Number Munchers For Depression.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

MartianAgitator posted:

I mean, USE MICROSCOPE ON SCIENTIST is about as dull as an adventure game can get.

Hey, be fair - that's USE MICROSCOPE ON SCIENTIST GHOST so it's at least 50% less dull.

50% of .00001 is still pretty small, but still :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Hey, be fair - that's USE MICROSCOPE ON SCIENTIST GHOST so it's at least 50% less dull.

50% of .00001 is still pretty small, but still :v:

It will be better later, I promise. There are better puzzles, though perhaps not better than the friendly ghost of yuri gagarin

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm beginning to doubt actual psychology works this way.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

It will be better later, I promise. There are better puzzles, though perhaps not better than the friendly ghost of yuri gagarin

Everything about Emo Girl part Deux had me dying. Theres something magical about how low rent grabbing pictures from wikipedia and putting sepia tone filter over it. This game is a paradox where the creators gave both no poo poo and all their poo poo into production.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

The top-left gives an explicit solution for the puzzle that crowe suggested you have to 'solve by trial and error'; the arrow in the middle shows the path from snowflake to bone to cash to house.

Obviously. Obviously.

still not a good puzzle, but, like, let's be fair.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

let's be fair.
NEVER!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

part six or whatever

i've been having computer trouble, but i found the recording for this on a usb drive so here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyEvzRRAR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sadly there wont be any more updates for a while, as i no longer have access to a computer which can record the game at anything approaching full speed. i apologize for this!

• Locked thread