Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, I guess so.

I don't see how it isn't clear at this point that Geralt is prone to meddling with poo poo he shouldn't, tends to get involved on the side of the underdog, and is in general a nice if somewhat gruff guy who cares a lot about his friends and family and is very much a protector of the downtrodden and weak, so much so that I mean it literally got him killed once already. Also he often serves serves sort of a judge/jury/executioner (if need be) role when he deals with a lot of stuff, especially sentient monsters, so him going "actually, after hearing your story you're a bloodthirsty lunatic and I need to put you down like a rabid dog" is very much in line with his character, ESPECIALLY considering the now orphaned little girl involved.

e:

metallicaeg posted:

Playing it as "what would Geralt do" is dumb. If you don't want to infuse yourself into it and stick to what someone other than yourself would do, then you might as well make the game linear without choices or decisions.

The discussion is literally about "what Geralt would do". Obviously players can do what they want.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

It's a misconception, obviously people play "what do you think Geralt would do" and then that's where the interpretations trail off in different directions, some of them filtered through your own morality and some of them guided by who you think Geralt is.

Geralt is real and my friend and I asked him what he would do before I posted.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fuligin posted:

Yes, exactly. My actions in game are a murky conflation of my own motivations and those that I imagine to be Geralt The Character's, where the dividing line is very much undefined; every player is going to have a different perspective depending on the order and manner of how they've played the game and the decisions they've made. To get a little more pretentious about it, I feel like when I am playing, at least, my actions in game fall somewhere between those that are purely reflexive, and those that are "gestures:" i.e., I've had to artificially pause a moment, consider, and then act in a way that feels aesthetically appropriate. I spared Cat guy, because at that moment I thought, considered, and felt that Geralt was probably disinclined to kill another witcher by nature (I also spared Letho, who has caused at least as much suffering), could feel empathy for the poo poo rear end job that it is, and may have just felt too conflicted at that moment to do anything at all. It was to an extent an arbitrary choice, and I feel like I/Geralt may have just as easily done the opposite on another go around.

Letho is a different case, for me. He was contracted essentially as a mercenary in a war, he was just doing his job, and he didn't go out of his way to kill anyone he didn't need to. Letho is a brutal killing machine but he also doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would murder an entire village complete with women and children because 3 assholes attacked him. He'd definitely murder the poo poo out of the 3 assholes, and anyone else who wanted some, but he's not gonna go out of his way to cause suffering.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cowcaster posted:

i'm sure a couple of shattered jugglers from that king's boat would dispute your claim of "not going out of his way to kill anyone he didn't need to"

also let me mention how awesome it was they added in northern wind to witcher 3 probably solely because of that cutscene

He didn't go out of his way, and those guys died as a result of his attack on the king. He didn't kill the king and then also murder everyone nearby just for funsies, he did what he had to do to kill his target and that's it.

It's probably NOT actually very easy to kill a bunch of kings who are currently involved in wars, so I'd guess he took the best chance he could and the rest is just collateral damage.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lurdiak posted:

"Don't destroy this mage's house" is sound advice for any kid.

I will mea culpa on taking the emperor's money (the game pretty much flashed a THIS IS A WRONG CHOICE at me immediately) but I did that cuz I wanted to upgrade my armor, not for roleplaying reasons.

Don't destroy this mage's house is dumb advice when its obvious that he's been lying to her and views her as nothing more than a means to an end and is basically a huge manipulative shithead.

Sometimes young adults need to smash some poo poo when they're feeling betrayed and angry.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

GrossMurpel posted:

Venting your anger isn't healthy. Also, that sounds more like something shithead teenagers do and not actual adults, sorry.

Venting anger and grief and frustration absolutely is healthy, holy poo poo.

Obviously you shouldn't do it all the time but there's times where its a good idea and clearly, obviously, Ciri smashing up the lab is one of those moments.

Keeping your emotions bottled up and being in denial about how you feel is a super, super good way to wind up all sorts of hosed up.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

GrossMurpel posted:

So the two options open to a reasonable adult are these:
1) Bottle up your emotions, never talk about them to anyone, slowly become bitter and antisocial.
2) loving SMASH THE LAB RAAAAAGH
That sound like it makes a lot of sense. After all, the short-term happiness from just lashing out is very helpful in being able to move past your anger long-term.

She knocks some shelves over and breaks some things. It's obviously a healthy let off for someone that has the literal weight of the world on her shoulders and is in a lovely spot and needs the support of her dad in that moment, who encourages Ciri to lash out a bit in a safe environment and let off some steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Pellisworth posted:

how do you feel about adoption

the Crones eat the orphans if you kill the tree spirit
The crones vs tree spirit thing is interesting because it's trading a known, monstrous evil vs an unknown, insane evil.

There's really no choice that doesn't gently caress things up really bad.