Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for saying what we're all thinking

ahahaha yeah okay

Game's gonna own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Thank you. The sunset and moon shots are stunning.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You're gonna have to rehost those, looks like the original host doesn't allow for linking.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

shrike82 posted:

isn't comte a marketing guy anyway? he's said he's not a developer.

He's a quest designer.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

More general impressions! Been playing quite a bit since release.

1) Impressed with the size and density of the world. Always something to do around the corner, and it'll probably be rewarding in some way. Novigrad is one of the first cities in a videogame (maybe the first) that feels authentic. That I felt a little disappointed with the size while looking at the area it occupied on the world map was stupid - it's plenty big once I got into it. And that's just one city. Crow's Perch feels like a correct manifestation of a concept. Oxenfurt has a unique feel. And then there are all the little villages and outposts and ruins and wrecks.

2) Movement felt a little cheap to me at first, expected more weight with Geralt's movements. Got used to it over time, and it's usually fine. Most annoying cases are when I'm trying to open a specific container among several others, or in certain swimming sections, but those are rare.

Biggest tip I can give for exploration is to remember to hold the jump button when parkouring around. It's only called out once in the tutorial and barely used in the first area, so there's not much reinforcement early on.

3) Horse riding is usually on point, at least for general exploration. Which is a lot. It's great most of the time. Only had difficulties with mounted combat, which, whatever, I can deal with that, it's more like being a dragoon than cavalry; and in horse races, which I might just be doing wrong. Haven't lost a race yet, but I get more confusing or frustrating occurrences of Roach inexplicably stopping than I should.

4) Love combat. The addition of a dodge alongside the roll is subtle but vital. One's more towards pure evasion and defense, the other's more for countering. Parrying is much improved from The Witcher 2, especially since attacking a parried enemy is a separate action now - freedom to adjust and evade other attacks, finish off another attacker, drop an Yrden/refresh Quen/melt everything with Igni.

5) Writing's fantastic - a needless but still welcome reminder why I like the characters in these games. Hilarious at times, just enough to break up the heavy moments. Tons of dialogue, most of it enjoyable.

6) Everything feels connected. When something comes up preventing me from a previously established goal, it feels more like classic drama and not a tedious obstacle. I want poo poo to come up along the way, because I believe it'll be fun and interesting. And it makes sense given the world.

7) Regular reinforcement that Geralt isn't just a killer - he's smart. Thoughtful, observant, deductive. Sometimes I'm not always a fan of protagonist exposition or vocal observation, but it works here. Also, while I don't think he was ever bad, Doug Cockle has really grown into the role over the years.

8) Facial tech, holy poo poo. I thought Dragon Age set a high bar.

9) Explored Skellige only a bit (seen lots of the map but riding through most of it for scavenger hunts), but I like it already. It seems to out-Skyrim Skyrim. If there are northern lights, it's perfect.

10) UI and inventory could be better. Is there a way to sort items by weight? I can deal with everything else.

11) Continuation of delayed/unforeseen consequences. I like that I can't save scum too much, that choices matter, and that I can't always control everything. The Tower of Mice quest line impressed me a great deal especially at the end, with the (general themes) reactivity to my actions and the polarity of the consequences.

12) Game looks impressive overall. Downgrades, whatever. I get that it's marketing, a vertical slice, a prediction for how things will work. I don't think it was intentional misdirection, or gross negligence. Everything's beautiful. Something else that helps me separate this with Watch_Dogs is that WD is a boring, non-sensical slog.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Let's say you're like me, an idiot. Every once in a while your controller rumbles, seemingly at random. What was that? An alert that there's a hidden object nearby? Or a monster approaching? Maybe you fell more than in inch while crossing uneven terrain?

No. It's Quen expiring. Only took me twenty hours or so to piece together that puzzle.

I, too, am this idiot.

Also, I finished the Mastercrafted Ursine set last night. It's really nice how the appearance evolves from tier to tier. And with Ursine you end up with this battle-tested Viking raider outfit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Turds in magma posted:

how much are people using Dodge, as opposed to just rolling? I'm on a keyboard, and I haven't really figured out an optimal set of key-binds yet.

I use dodge a lot more than roll. Dodge is for countering most attacks, roll is to avoid any major attack with a large radius (breath, stomp, wide cone swipe, etc.). After rolling, usually you're out of range and/or the enemy has recovered from their animation before you can counter. Roll is also useful when engaged with more enemies than you can reliably Parry/Quen/Yrden/Aard out of. I generally prefer dodge when it's 3 or fewer normal targets.

Also, a gamepad will do wonders. I get it may not be feasible, but calling it out in case it's an option for you.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Haven't seen any screenshots of Mastercrafted Ursine, so here we are.

I really like how it starts out as a leather breastplate, padded coat, thick sleeves, then as you upgrade to the next tier, pieces get added on in sensible layers until you have Viking death armor.

*edit - added a closer shot below.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 23, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Is there a way to make the game window not minimize when you alt tab?

Is there a windowed fullscreen mode in display options, and if so have you given it a shot? I haven't, I've only played on fullscreen and I can't test it at the moment.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

How can you tell if armor is upgradeable? I don't want to be dismantling poo poo I'll want later.

Stuff labeled as Witcher gear is upgradeable. The chestpiece that Geralt starts with is upgradeable, for example. The major long-term ones are the Cat/Feline, Griffin, and Bear/Ursine sets available thru crafting and scavenger hunts.

Also, different topic - confirming that the crossbow owns bones when swimming and on flying targets. Harpies can be dodged and countered pretty easily, but it can save you some time to shoot them and finish them while they're on the ground. Especially if you get the weak-but-unlimited quarrels.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also bear (hurr) in mind that there's a talent that boosts heavy attack damage and vitality by 5% for each piece of heavy armor you own. So a heavy armor build can be more of a deliberate, one-shot, counter-attack approach than Cat.

* edit - vvv - kinda! Cat is dandy swordsman adventurer (kinda Landskneckt-y), Bear is Viking berserker.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 28, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Beeez posted:

So, question from someone who hasn't played it yet. There's a lot of talk of "using all the tools at your disposal", but people are also saying one should pick a specific "build" to use. How are you supposed to use all the tools at your disposal if you're only supposed to focus on one branch of the tree?

Yeah, you usually want to play to your build's strengths, but you still want to use other tools if you start running into trouble. A baseline Yrden doesn't mean it's garbage, it's just that I use it less often, like when my dodge invulnerability/boosted heavy attack counters with improved oils aren't adequate. For a specific example, I truck humanoids and troll / fiend / drowner types easily, but wraiths can be more difficult without a sign or two.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Even more, while you have the standar dexclamation point/Christmas tree sidequests, others are provided organically as you're wrapping up main story quests. Oh, while you're here, I got another thing to look into. Not even a camera break with some of them, just perfectly smooth.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Woozy posted:

It's really, really depressing to realize that this is probably the last Witcher game.

It's probably the last Geralt game, but even so, it's a lot less depressing for me that it's not just the best Witcher game, it's probably the best RPG I've ever played. How many series go out like that?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

vudan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how the combat could be improved? (Without making it batman)

I agree with some of the issues that are being brought up but I'm not quite sure how I'd improve them if it were up to me. Just curious.

I think the big two are -

-Make Geralt's attack animations more predictable
-Adjust target lock - use a different button for the lock, change either camera control or target rotation to different functions, etc.

On an indirect level, making alchemy recipes less random would help.

For newer players, I'd like a callout in the tutorial that parry is stronger against human opponents, dodge is better for monsters, and roll is best used to avoid wide attacks that dodge/parry can't cover.

Personally I really like the combat, and the only mechanical issues I have are that Geralt's non-combat movement feels a little cheap, and that Roach automatically stops at seemingly odd or inconvenient times. But I think addressing the above would help a lot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I am sure I read a book that explained this....

Wouldn't be surprised it's buried in a book somewhere. I think it's even called out in the first Witcher game, in the optional dialogues with Lambert about the different sword styles. But it seems to be missed often around the horn, along with the practical differences between roll and dodge.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Megazver posted:

So is this the first Witcher game for anyone? I wanna hear your impressions. :allears:

It is for a friend of mine. Generally a cool dude with good taste. He's been raving about the combat, the writing, and the quest design all week.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Haroshia posted:

I'll also eat Vesemir's hat if Ciri doesn't have a cameo in Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out.

This thing was funnier than it should be. Drunk Witchers, best Witchers.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

slev posted:

I can't handle Geralt's drunk voice

Simple Simon posted:

Can't handle how great it is?

That whole thing made me laugh and smile. It really was just a moment where I went from not liking Lambert to loving the rear end in a top hat..

They really nailed how anything can sound like a great idea when drinking.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

Are there any other games that have been this good with expressions? I'm gonna be real disappointed with future games if they go back to dead eyed plastic faces for their story driven games.

Before Witcher III, I thought Inquisition had among the best I've seen. Some expressions they absolutely nail, but they're the more open and direct kind.

After this I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4, since Naughty Dog seems to push tech pretty hard.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

quote:

Improves Geralt's movement, especially when he swims.
Disables "Input device changed" messages and adds options to disable on-screen combat feedback and floating tags above NPCs.

I'm sold.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Isle of Mists isn't quite the endgame. Most side quests and contracts (all?) will be available afterwards, and a few even open up after.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

When making enhanced and superior potions and oils, do I need to first brew the standard version, then use the standard potion in addition to new ingredients for the enhanced potion?

Yes. Same with bombs and Witcher gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yes, or hold down the Filters button in the Alchemy menu (L analog stick on gamepad, F on keyboard) and adjust accordingly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

How do you get the ending where Ciri becomes ruler of Nilfgaard ?

Pretty much do the same thing. A couple differences -

1) After the Battle of Kaer Morhen, go to Vizima before Bald Mountain. Turn down the payment from Emhyr.
2) In Act III, get the Reason of State quest from Dijkstra, and help kill Radovid. Afterwards, side with Thaler and Roche.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The only thing I've noticed coming up to Death March from Normal is that arrows eat through Quen. Oh, and a random Water Hag dropped 90% of a life bar with one swipe, but none others have.

I like it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it not being everyone's bag.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Did it hit you in the back? Geralt takes like retarded amounts of increased damage from behind on higher difficulties.

Maybe. The hag was up a hillside so there might've been some weird hit detection.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Movement outside of combat is floaty and imprecise. It's a little like Red Dead Redemption in that it's easier than it should be to get stuck behind walls, fences, or other obstacles.

Also, the threshold for falling damage is low. It might be more realistic that way, but it doesn't encourage vertical exploration.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Make any potion / bomb / decoction once, they will automatically refill when you meditate as long as you've got strong alcohol in your inventory. The only things you need to keep collecting are the ingredients to make things you haven't made yet. This includes upgraded potions / bombs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

One thing I love about the rock trolls is that I can just hear the gears grinding in between their pauses. They're trying so hard.

I can't effectively argue with the logic of (troll sidequest) boats guard boats.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Many (all?) update the quest text when they're good to go.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Corvo Bianco = White Crow, probably

isk
Oct 3, 2007

What I liked most about Ciri was how CDPR to compress her progression, yet it still feels meaningful. (lots/endgame) The griffin fight takes a while since it's based on evasion and endurance, and the half dozen thugs in Whoreson's base can be brutal, but she butchers everything during the final battle against the Wild Hunt.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also this is probably the raddest image to come out of the entire Witcher series:

Great image, but after thinking on it, I can't unsee Casey Affleck from Good Will Hunting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Impressive that an update like this comes out a year after the game launch. I know it's what CDPR does, but still notable.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe I just never noticed it in other games before, but for me the way the wind moves the foliage in Witcher 3 just has an enormous impact on making the game world feel more "real" - I just don't recall ever really seeing anything like it in other similar open-world games (outside of specific heavy weather/storm events). Am I just being a moron who missed a common feature or is this something the Witcher does that other games don't?

It just feels like this passive feature that is omnipresent in the world and just adds another layer of verisimilitude.

It's in a few other games, but it's rare.

While the overall tech level is obviously lower, Red Dead Redemption still has the best thunderstorms, especially the gradual onset of 'em.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'd put Horizon Zero Dawn up there. Also Lily's Garden (at least before they let their rad narrative designer go) was surprisingly sharp

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Arivia posted:

Lily’s Garden? The mobile game with ads of women sitting on washing machines to get off?

Yep. Those ads came after the departure. They've gotten super lovely with it, but to that point it's good stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bear in mind Heliotrope is at least named in Witcher 2 - it's the time bubble that can be cast when Adrenaline is full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Regis owns in Blood and Wine, and the art team nailed his look. It says skilled and experienced traveler with tons of wisdom and stories.