Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arglebargle III posted:

How did you do this?

You can change the language the voices are in, although I don't think you can change just Geralt without PC modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just got to Vizima for the first time. So far combat has been most effective by slapping on Quen protection before 'combat mode' starts, then spamming Axii and doing my best to fight things one at a time.

Is this tactic going to screw me over? Pretty much all my points so far are in Axii, Strong Attack and one in Quen. Also I took that generic talent that gives health regeneration in the sunlight at level 2, since I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty and it seemed useful back when I wasn't covered in food.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

VolticSurge posted:

As a complete noob to the series,and having just got a copy from a friend,do I have to play the other games to understand the plot? Or will I be OK?

You'll be fine. Game comes with a very brief summary of the past two games in a booklet, and the rest you can figure out yourself from context.

Geralt is a magical mutated monster-slayer called a Witcher. Others exist. Recently, he came into conflict with a Witcher from another school that was hired by the Nilfgaardian Empire to destabilise the Northern Kingdoms. One of the things he did was kill Geralt's king buddy.
Geralt likes the sorceress Triss Merigold but after regaining his lost memory, he also likes Yennefer.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need to know.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Newbie babby question - I just hit Velen, where do I go to get some new equipment?
I'm level 4 but with all the places of power in White Orchard cleared, and I'm still in my dingy White Orchard equipment. I've done the first steps of the 'The Nilfgaardian Connection' quest and I've taken out some Nekker nests but it feels like it was way harder than it should have been and that group of Alghouls in Codger's Quarry destroy me in a single hit.

Where's the nearest convenient blacksmith that can actually make poo poo and give me non-terrible equipment?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I played this game on PS4 and beat Velen and the majority of the big sidequests before heading to Novigrad, before stopping because the long console load times and accidentally taking a sidequest way tougher than I anticipated got to me.

So now I'm back to it after almost finishing FFXV, and wow, assuming both games had a roughly equal development time (time between W2:EE and W3 is 3 years, FFXV was only ever properly in development for about three years), wow what an endearing yet clusterfuck of a game that way, and I'm excited to get back into it with the GOTY edition... and a proper PC.

I'm planning on using it with a Steam controller - can anyone comment on whether there's a good setup beyond the recommend one? And additionally, anything I should know in general coming back into the game? Like, I didn't know until Novigrad that I could use my crossbow in the water, and I also feel like I was missing a bunch of Witcher School gear or accidentally sold poo poo that I was meant to keep. At least I beat the tutorial this time around having crafted both the Viper school swords.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

andrew smash posted:

Cause it owns, as somebody who has a PS4 and a steam controller I wish I could use the steam controller instead of a ds4 on PS4 games.
Actually it's also because I didn't realise that the Steam Link has inherent bluetooth. My PC doesn't actually have a bluetooth adapter and I just assumed the link didn't have one either.

edit: also since it's unclear, I'm doing the whole couch-gaming thing and streaming through a Steam Link, and so while a DS4 works great in-game I assume it doesn't work quite as well as a Steam Controller for navigating Steam in general.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 13, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fuligin posted:

Got this during the Steam Sale, and I'm totally blown away. Just finished up most of Velen with 23 hours and I'm off to Novigrad. Shame about the Baron hanging himself, but I'll take that over witches eating a bunch of orphans he helped create.

Somehow I feel like some kind of genius for on my first runthrough of the game thinking "Hey, releasing this spirit under the tree is pretty clearly a bad idea, this seems like it was in an in-game book somewhere..."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dud root posted:

Even when leaning on signs, your bread and butter in most fights is fast attacks. So I pretty much always use Cat, plus it looks the coolest

I try to stun things and then strong attack them, especially 'out of depth' enemies like big bears near the start of the game and witcher hunts, but maybe this will work less well as the game goes on.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

I love how everyone seems to take crone propaganda at face value.

Having only gotten as far as Novigrad, the general crone story seemed built on general fantasy tropes that apply pretty well. Crones are weird old god kind of creatures that are capricious and nasty and eat children, but they don't want to destroy the land, just rule and control it, and that means keeping their subjects relatively alive. If they imprisoned something under a tree, and that something is killing people as opposed to just sending out weird dreams or appearing as a kindly spirit or whatever, then keeping it imprisoned seems like the right thing to do.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got as far as Novigrad on PS4 a year ago, now playing GOTY on PC and enjoying the QoL mods, prettyiness, and better load times. And the Gourmet perk.

And WTF how did I miss this pig temple quest my first time through the game???
Now I have to find that other quest I did ages ago with the satyr guy pretending to be a god. Don't remember the name of it.

One of the patches scaled Contract payments up, right? I remember when I first played you'd barely get like 30g from a low-level hunt, now it's up to 300 on average.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know this. I'll have to watch where I tread, it's my goal to stay in Velen as much as possible for now.

It's pretty obvious when you cross over, they're divided by a river. Velen is the west and south, Novigrad/Redania is the north and east.

Fuzz posted:

Yes, though it's broken into 5 separate regions you can fast travel between, 4 if you didn't get the second DLC. The map shows you more locations than that, but Velen and Novigrad are one huge continuous area that actually also hits a part of Vizima, but for inexplicable reasons the Vizima travel point on the map is specifically to the palace, which you cannot travel to from the main map of Velen.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the imperial army camp?

Anyway yeah the Quest Map Markers mod is the only one I'd consider a total must-have, it's well integrated into the game to let you take a look at your map to figure out which level-appropriate quests are near you.

I just finished up Velen myself, looking forward to the rest of the game! Pretty sure I cleared out 90% of the side quests in there. And got as close to 'good endings' as I could for the Bloody Baron quest and Keira, as I managed back when I first tried in the game on PS4.

Although I didn't realise with Keira (only Act 1/Velen spoilers) that if you say "Can't let you do that" instead of "It's suicide", that she actually starts a boss fight with you! Misclicked that one..

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Adun posted:

The point where combat becomes incredibly easy is also pretty much the point where you fall in love with the characters and the setting and the plots so that it doesn't even matter

Can confirm, as soon as I was level 9 or 10 I started seeking out the Griffin diagrams and as soon as I hit 11 I started wearing them and I'm level 14 now and haven't found anything better, although some stuff has come very close.

The Wolven Gear sidequest is listed as level 14 but is there actually a way for me to get to Kaer Morhen to nab it? I'm only in Novigrad.
e: oh ok apparently while it's level 14 it's locked by story and it's there to be immediately upgraded.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 29, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mods I installed:
HD reworked - doesn't overhaul the entire game it just makes some rocks and fences look nicer
No Dirty Lens Effect
Better Torches - lets you use signs and climb ladders and so on with a torch, although you still need to put it away to Strong Attack
SkipMovies - Skips intro movies
All Quest Objectives On Map - this should be in the base game, really helps you figure out what you wanna do next

All the above don't hurt a first runthrough of the game at all.

I also installed the Griffin Set Redesign because I'm using it and it turns the Griffin set grey/black like other sets instead of the ugly green it normally is. You'll understand when you see it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure both expansions are postgame.

What I hear online is that you do the main quest up to the obvious part before the ending, then you do Hearts of Stone for the dialogue relevancy and you finish it up, then you finish the main quest, and then you do Blood and Wine.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

I had a weird glitch in the Ciri dream sequence where it showed me the "success" option first and then, immediately afterward, the "failed" option, so that was a thing. I also failed the papers quest because apparently the guy died to the ghouls. Thought I'd saved them all, but I guess not. I'm eating those two failures, though.

I also got wrecked continuously by a noonwraith near where you exit with Keira after the lamp quest, so I guess I'll come back to that (I'm only level 7 and the area is definitely way over my head - I only just survived the onslaught of wraiths cum water hag). I'm hoping doing the Keira favor quests and a bit more of the "find the witch" main quest (plus a few of the level 5-10 side quests) will get me to the point where I can comfortably roam around Velen tagging all question marks, doing treasure hunts and side quests, and basically clean everything out before I head north to the cities.

Will I know when I'm in Hearts of Stone territory? Going to mostly avoid DLC until I've done as much of the other stuff as I can.

Don't bother trying to clear everything out - loot from guarded treasure and so forth is scaled to your level, and some quests are beyond your level anyway. Just go to Novigrad when you're done with the main quest and all the fun-looking level-appropriate secondary quests in Velen.

Also, if you need a journeyman blacksmith (weapons crafter) in the Velen area before hitting Novigrad, try the southeast corner of Oxenfurt.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Grouchio posted:

So what did you guys do regarding the Forest Spirit mission?

If you're talking about the spirit beneath the Whispering Hillock...
while both solutions have their upsides and downsides, I feel that there's definitely a 'correct' answer, and the game will even tell you exactly what's up with that spirit if you've randomly come across the book 'She Who Knows'. If you trust the book (and there isn't a reason not to), you know the right answer. You also have no reason to distrust the people of Downwarren.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

jackpot posted:

Why when I die does it take so long to reload the level? I WAS JUST THERE. JUST LOAD THAT. It feels like this shouldn't take three minutes, especially not after the wait of installing the thing.

This issue was the reason I stopped my original playthrough on the PS4 and waited like a whole year to get it on PC (needed a better computer, got the GOTY edition too) and install it to an SSD.

I've just started properly questing in Skellige and am sweeping out the majority of the Scavenger Hunt quests after picking up the basic bear gear, and my two 'main' looking quests are helping the Jarl's kids, and going with Yennefer to check out the forest explosion.
Any particular order I should do these in for maximum entertainment, and how much of the main, non-DLC game do I have left? A third? Can't believe I've spent a whole 47 hours and the end still isn't clearly in sight.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

More like two thirds of the main quest left, and possibly quite a lot more side quests if you're only 47 hours in.

Even with my position in the story being as stated in my earlier post? Early into Skellige, with most prior sidequests done? How much do I have hourwise?
:pusheen:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

mlmp08 posted:

I have 118 hours, and I'm early into Skellige and am sitting at level 24.

I play games real slow. And read all the books.

I feel like I've saved at least an hour by mashing through the dialogue that isn't interesting or that is just walking around.

I'm also saving my sanity by giving up on Gwent and no way am I visiting every single question mark, that's madness, especially in Skellige.
I spent most of today's holiday for me doing 90% of the Scavenger Hunts, and now I have everything but some final Feline and Wolven diagrams locked behind some enemies that seemed too tough. What an experience that was :geno:.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was lead to believe that in the 'act 2 revisit people' part of the game I'd be going around sidequesting a bunch, but... it was just talking to people and them either saying "piss off" (Dijkstra, Emhyr) or saying "yeah man we're cool". Am I missing something? I thought there would be a bunch more sidequests pop up suddenly for each one or something.

The only sidequests I'm intentionally ignoring are Gwent and racing, and I'm level 25. The only side quests I've left undone feel too high-level for me, like Tower Outta Nowhere and some high level contracts.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

Nah, Emhyr never helps.

And as I found out, Dijkstra needs you to find his gold but he only gives you some gold anyway. I still got the Full Crew achievement anyway.

e: and I found one of the greatest new-ish mods to install once you've completed Velen's questline:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1962/

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 3, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I kind of wonder how much playtime I've shaved off with the 'all objectives on map' mood meaning I can quest efficiently instead of mashing through my quest list every time or constantly going back and forth between quest givers.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

How final are the 'final preparations' quests? I only have Yen's go to. Straight from there to the ending?

Also I binged through Hearts of Stone and these sure are some Dark Souls bosses.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish I knew that when I did my last playthrough.

I feel like I've either turned them all off or have no idea what they are. Are they the 'auto finishers' or something else? I don't think I fiddled with any such settings...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is it a bad thing if I think Dijkstra probably makes for the best ruler?
It actually seems a little weird that you can't have him rule the North and have Ciri rule Nilfgaard which would probably have the best possible rulers in all situations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Reflecting on a bit of the Skellige quest (no real spoilers here):
There was really no reason to go through the whole hullabaloo with the Mask of Oroboros that Ermion whines about and visit the blasted forest at all, was there? Someone could have just said "hey the Wild Hunt attacked near the garden of Freya" and none of that would've been necessary.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

2house2fly posted:

The whole first act of the game is a giant shaggy dog story. You could just have investigated places the wild hunt attacked and cut out all that bloody baron and Dandelion stuff.

Not exactly, because to find Ciri, you need to uncurse Avallac'h and to do that you need to seeUma _____ in Velen (although I guess you could have randomly found it in the game world if it existed?), get the phylactery from Dandelion in Novigrad, and actually know that Uma is relevant and that he's either Avallac'h or Ciri transformed in Skellige.

Without that, there's no way to find Ciri. The actual interconnection was mostly done well as to why you need to go to each of those places.

But the Mask of Oroboros specifically didn't need to get used at all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TGG posted:

Said hey to Little Red Riding Hood yet?

Snow White in the Seven Dwarves is literally a part of the main quest which seemed kinda unusual for this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Some mods play nicely with each other, but if you have multiple mods running you might need the 'Script Merger' mod tool to merge a couple of related mods together so they don't interfere with each other, which means you can't just use the Nexus Mod Manager to auto-install them.
I discovered this when I tried to install both 'All Quest Objectives on Map' (a feature that should have been in the base game) and 'Fast Travel to Crow's Perch and Hattori' - since they both modify the world map they need to be merged or else you have to pick only one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Apparently pouring 30k (5k, 10k, 15k) into the Runewright turns him into both a master armorsmith and weaponsmith, and he has a nearby fast travel point so you don't need to run up and down Crow's Perch or run around Novigrad to get to Hattori.
I'm... not sure if this is worth it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DoctorTristan posted:

My favourite part is Geralt nodding sagely and going "Yes, got a feeling this will be a good investment."

I think this is the canonical explanation for how Geralt loses all his money in between each game.

The level 3 runewords aren't even good :(

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Roche shows up in Witcher 3 and Iorveth is cut from it, so there's that.
Witcher 3 also lets you screw Roche over if you feel like it though so I guess if you don't care about him you can do that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hearts of Stone works well if you do it during the 'Final Preparations' questlines. Just imagine Geralt going "well might as well get some extra coin while we have a moment to take a breather" and then getting involved in some nutso stuff.
Technically speaking there is an 'alternate reward' if you finish it while you're still doing the Brothers in Arms quests but not only is it just dialogue, it's also part of the 'bad ending' of Hearts of Stone. You still get the other fun dialogue if you leave it for before you finish the game, just check in on Triss, Ciri and Yennefer once an obvious thing happens.

Blood and Wine is more like "Geralt's last big contract" before retiring to his beautiful FrenchItalian villa.
I haven't beaten it yet though please don't tell me this villa I am sinking coin into for no real reason is going to blow up :(

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For real though I am 100% certain Fawlty Towers was aired in Poland and was a hit so I'm surprised that the reference in Blood and Wine is as understated as it is. Majordomo actually gave me pleasant ASMR as he was showing me around.

Especially since, like, an entire short quest is an Asterix reference. I was disappointed you couldn't solve it the same way Asterix did.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fuzz posted:

Think I'll hold off on Hearts of Stone then... maybe. Didn't realize it was that long a DLC.

Then again, my Geralt spent about 20 hours paying Gwent rather than looking for Ciri, so...

It's 10-15 hours. Like, 8ish hours of story, 2to 4 hours of sidequests and points of interest depending on how well you plan your route, and then you add extra time if you're not good at Dark Souls style boss fights.

They're not ballbustingly hard but they're more 'video game boss' than fights in the main game and are a jump in difficulty compared to decoctioning up and then just mashing left click on a forktail or griffin.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Anyway, apparently I'm a sociopath, because Even after all Vernon Roche did for me, I let Djikstra kill him. He's just right - their deal was bad and virtually ensures a Nilfgardian victory. I still haven't gotten around to Hearts of Stone yet, because I've been too busy building all of my mastercrafted Witcher deal.

I did the same because when Dijkstra talks straight he talks straight. Also Dijkstra is against both slavery (which the Empire has) and witch-burning/racism (Radovid).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Basically I guess I just really hate the King of Nilfgard and want to do everything I possibly can to be the biggest thorn in his side.

I've been avoiding taking Geralt to the barber, but I think before I start Hearts of Stone, it's time to give him a new look.

Believe it or not, a major quest in Hearts of Stone a third of the way in will do this for you. Entirely possible to play up to that point and then go back and do the side quests and points of interest.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

2house2fly posted:

Did you do that one quest where Geralt completely independently investigates some deaths and finds a monster, then after killing it he finds the village it was terrorising and demands that they pay him? lol

Yeah this isn't 'one quest', a lot of contracts can be completed this way if you're way out there for whatever reason and you don't need to talk to an NPC to get a memory or whatever to find them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crummelhorn posted:

I bought this game when the GotY edition came out, only just got around to playing it. I never got into the first two, and did not choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save when I started the game. I understand at least one quest will be blocked off because of this, so does anyone know a way to change that variable so the guy asks me the Witcher 2 questions when Geralt gets out of White Orchard?

White Orchard really isn't very long, if you mash through all the dialogue you could probably get through it in two hours and just do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's no reason All Quest Objectives on Map shouldn't have been patched into the main game.