Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
It's obviously downgraded I can't believe you guys can't see it, here's a better screenshot without all the PR BS

Disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Actually it's about ethics in game optimization

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
This wouldn't happen if it werent for those meddlin consoles

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I'm glad CDPR actually learned how optimization works this time around and Witcher 3 will run on a variety of systems. Was really worried when the E3 trailer came out and they were saying it was struggling to run on 2 Titans

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
This is almost as bad as that time Crytek had to lower details in Crysis compared to its reveal because the game wouldn't run on any PC for 10 years

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

CHECKMATE

The loving NERVE of those guys

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I still manually switch between swords? Was there ever even a practical reason to do that in the previous games? I don't think I ever encountered a fight with both humans and monsters at the same time.

There were a few encounters with both towards the end of Witcher 2. Dunno about Witcher 1

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Yet, ran on an 8800 non ultra at 50 FPS.

Some crazy revisionist history going on here

On low settings maybe

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Obviously that's ethical when a company doesn't forewarn you otherwise when buying the product.

Do you own any Nvidia products?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Here is the lowest spec of an 88000 GTS back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUXpV3_xec

And that is with fraps hitting the frame rate.

That stuttering is there even without fraps. I had the same video card. Performance only got worse once you left that tiny little beach too. Not to mention the first encounter with the aliens bringing the game to a slide show

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Some press getting the 1.0 patch for the PC version now just look at the downgrades... hey... wait a minute....

Pre 1.0

Turns out the preview release that everyone has been comparing to had a bunch of Ultra options actually disabled

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Here's a bigger version

Pre 1.0

The weather is the same and the time of day is like 5 minutes later

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

isk posted:

You're gonna have to rehost those, looks like the original host doesn't allow for linking.

Yea, fixed it. The most obvious changes are the increased vegetation but the ambient occlusion seems better and the shadows can be seen further out.

edit: here's another on ultra from 1.0, I don't have anything to compare it to offhand though

PNG version here

In case anyone forgot what the 2013 version of Witcher 3 actually looked like by the way, here's a screenshot from October 2013 that wasn't from a prerendered trailer

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 17, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Wow, looking good.

Here's an actual screenshot from 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
It's tough man

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I don't want developers to stop optimizing games because a guy who spent $3000 on a computer wants to look at pretty graphics at 2frames per second instead of playing the game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

I said come in! posted:

If you're buying Witcher 3 on PC, you'll most likely be able to enable the 2013 graphics with a .ini file. Yeah, the downgrade sucks but it's not because of consoles. It makes no sense to have these settings when hardly anyone on PC is going to be able to enable them. It requires all sorts of testing and quality control to enable what was shown in 2013 across the entire game.

People are already posting tweaks. Here's a shot of the same area on PC. NPC count is much higher than the PS4 pic everyone keeps posting

You can mess with the color correction and sharpen filters too if you want to get that E3 2013 look

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Naky posted:

I can't wait for the plethora of lovely ENBs that'll be out a month from now that will turn everything blue and replicate Battlefield's purple camera flares n' poo poo. DARK GRITTY GRPHX.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

thebandbeforetime posted:

I just want to make sure I'm on the right page here... People are melting down about the graphics of a video game not being as good as they wanted? That is the extent of all this outrage?

They changed the color correction and turned the sharpen filter down, something about killing children with cancer.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Wow this game is good. Getting around 30-40fps with big dips only during some cutscenes or when theres a lot of heavy effects on my 660 Ti with everything on High and a few things on ultra but no Hairworks

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Nephrite posted:

So I'm an idiot who didn't understand how to import my Witcher 2 save. The choice at the start where it asks to Simulate a save, does anyone know the difference?

I picked "No" because it was my guess that in doing so I'd be able to pick the choices once I got to that part of the game, is that correct?

It should have a 3rd option to Import your Witcher 2 save in that prompt. If that isn't there it isn't detecting the save files.
If you bought Witcher 2 on Steam and Witcher 3 somewhere else or vice versa you gotta move your save files from the steam directory to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Played this a bit last night and this morning. Ran it on Ultra with the hair works turned all the way up and it's been a steady beautiful ride.

Even my daughter was enjoying it. She saw me picking some flowers and wanted to do it too. She did this for like 30 minutes having a blast. GOTY in my household :).

Just wanted to check, which is better? SSAO or HBAO?

HBAO is better and generally the performance hit is negligible

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Is there another fix for the hard locks in the menus? Setting driver settings to Performance didn't fix it.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I went through the keybindings on PC and never saw this at all but it's helped greatly in controlling geralt with keyboard and mouse, if you press CTRL it will toggle walking making it super easy to loot everything all the time by mashing E. I'm in walk mode 24/7 now only using sprint when I want to go faster and it has improved the game 100% since Geralt isn't trying to run at full speed all the time.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

It also works with the shaved side hairstyle, but that's also a classic geralt style.

I shaved and it grew back.

It works with all hair styles, but setting a custom beard is what disables beard growth. You just gotta get clean shaven to fix it, and it takes several days before the first stage of stubble shows up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I'm doing the forktail quest in kaer morhen now. About how far into the story am I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Memento posted:

I originally entered Novigrad via a gate in the east of the city and there was a barber a little way to the north of it. He was drunk, but he gave me a decent shave.

edit: from this map website which is useful as hell but spoilery

Also since I was clean shaven, the beard's not growing in. Someone remind me how I reset that? Or do I need to install some dlc for it?

When you clean shave it takes several days for it to grow. The only time the beard doesn't grow is if you select a dlc beard, then you just select the clean shave to reset.