Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

But is there wraiths??

It's Norway, of course there are wraiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Schurik posted:

At 18, should I finish up all the quests below me and then head to Skellige? Or just do it now? I don't like fast travelling so...

Do whatever you feel like doing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I think a lot of the people panicking about the XP bug are just assuming they should be getting more XP than they are because they have quests/items in their inventory that are in the 30s or higher and they're seriously underestimating the length of the game.

Not getting any XP from major quests of approriate level is a pretty clear giveaway.

I just gave myself like 2-3 levels with cheatengine and proceeded not to care about being the bug.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This game would be better if it had more Vernon Roach.

I still want a mod that changes my horse's name from Roach to Roche.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

No it doesn't, Dark Souls didn't invent third person games with attacks and dodging.

Yeah, it was totally Demon's Souls not Dark souls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I remember that time I played a Souls game with spells that take 0.1 seconds to cast and insanely fast sidesteps.

You should play Bloodborne, it's great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

This. I don't remember if he's one of them, but the leader I love to use' ability doubles the strength of your siege units. Two catapults plus that is 64 power.

You change leaders while in the deck screen by pressing X on xbox, so □ on ps3?

I think the extra leader you get in white orchard is the one that removes weather effects. He's really good in the early game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Like I said earlier, I think a lot of players are just confused that they're not getting experience from every quest and because they see quests at level 20+ they expect to be getting more than they are without realizing how massive the game really is.

I literally did the whole Skellige main quest line without getting a single point of experience. And no, I wasn't overleveled.

At least I'm on PC so I can easily fix that by giving myself some levels, but this has to be really annoying for console players.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 would probably be a better game if it didn't have levels and experience at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PureRok posted:

If you said you love them both earlier, can you pick one later and save it, or do I have really have to reload 10 hours back and tell Yennifer I don't care about her all the way back in The Last Wish?

Or you could just continue with the choices you made.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah I just had the chess conversation with Radovid and I definitely do not remember him acting like this in the second game and in the first game iirc he was pretty chill. RIP.

I was really disappointed that there wasn't a "Hey do you play Gwent?" option during that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sauer posted:

Did Dandelion write a song about Geralt bangin all the witches?

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be much more willing to try a potion build if using different potions/bombs/oils wasn't such a hassle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

david... posted:

Once the oils become permanent and the potions last ridiculous amounts of time it's not much of a hassle.

Using more than two different potions/bombs is always a hassle.

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some more hotkeys to assign potions to. I get that they didn't to maintain control parity with consoles, but it'd make a world of difference if there was less hassle associated with it.

There is really nothing preventing them from making a quick select for multiple different potions/bombs for people with controllers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

david... posted:

Hitting consume on the menu screen for everything you want to use beforehand and just keeping swallow and white raffards on the quick buttons worked fine for me, it's not likely you'll decide you need to use something else halfway through a fight in my experience but... :shrug:

Which makes specializing into alchemy a bit pointless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Can you clean up side quests after beating the game?

If not, what is the point of no return called so i can make a backup save?

You can, except for a few main quest related sidequests.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snuffman posted:

I do hate when I see an obviously ominous cave and have to hop into my inventory to swap in cat, chug it, and then swap swallow back in. Its an extra step but its annoying.

You can actually use potions straight from your inventory, no need to swap swallow away.

My problem is mostly that I hate interacting with things in the inventory. Just having separate taps for your Potions/Oils/Bombs and billion of different dedoctions would go a long way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

Enemy loot tables are tied to level, and for some reason red mutagens are way more rare at early levels. Maybe it's supposed to balance the attack bonus or something. But by level 20 you'll be drowning in them just like blue and green.

I'm level 22 and I've managed to create only a single Greater red mutagen while I have like 5 blue and green ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, monster-specific mutagens don't count--they're used for specific decoctions, not mutagen slotting on the character sheet. Color for those appears to be arbitrary. Makes sense the attack power ones would be delayed; it's easy enough to get overpowered for the early levels without being (more of) an obscene berzerker mutant.

Stacking Sign intensity is probably the easiest way to get overpowered right now. Igni tends to destroy most enemies.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How are people still going on about this guy's Yennefer fanfiction.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Speaking of oils - is there a definitive set of stuff I should/shouldn't use ekkimara hides on? I have two of them and have been afraid to make anything that needs them for fear I'll find a recipe for something I want more later. Same with the single golem heart I have; I kinda want to make the Blizzard potion but what if I need a golem heart later?! :ohdear:

The new patch seems to have removed the Ekimmara hide requirement in at least some of them so you probably won't need to worry about that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Guess I'm playing in Offline mode then for a while.

Before you didn't get any XP from grey sidequests.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

what do i do if I sold my starting armour?

The upgrade you get from it is bad anyway. You won't miss it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Yennefer Gwent card is miles better than the Triss card so obviously Yennefer is the correct choice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Holy poo poo dude, at this point just accept that people disagree with you and move on with your life. You're not going to get anywhere arguing over what someone thinks about a character.

God forbid people discuss and have differing opinions on major characters in the Witcher 3 thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Say what now?

The Witcher is based on a true story, didn't you hear?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cole posted:

death march + no minimap.

let's do this :cool:

(i'll be back in a few hours to tell you that I've turned the minimap back on. I tried it once and that poo poo is hard.)

If by hard you mean extremely tedious, sure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I've been reading, medium armor + signs seems to be underpowered compared to swords + alchemy, so is the light vs heavy armor more of an aesthetic choice, or are people going all in on either light or heavy but not both? Granted I only just got to Vizima so I'm still in the very beginning of the game, I'm just trying to do some planning. My ability points have been going to potions and the mind control sign for dialogue options so far. I'm still not sure if I should be doing light or heavy swordfighting just yet.

Igni with high sign intensity trivializes every single fight where the enemies are capable of burning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

So, in the haunted lighthouse contract in Skellige is there a way to find out what was really going on there? Also afterwards can you get out of that bar without everybody dying?

Wait, you can somehow do the lighthouse quest without finding about what happened?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They're releasing wolf school gear? When?

Yesterday.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

This is cute but he is murdering even simple alchemists/herbalists.

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Furthermore, I spent an inordinate amount of time loving around with settings to try and hit a constant 60FPS. Once I realized I couldn't do that in this game and have most of the sliders on high/ultra I said "gently caress it", cranked everything to ultra w/hairworks and locked the FPS to 30 through my gpu control panel. It actually plays just fine at 30 and seems pretty smooth since the framerate doesn't skitter all over the place.

Edit:someone said it earlier, but I'll reiterate - 60FPS is really only a big deal for FPS games. For third-person a nice stable 30 seems much better than 40-60 with frame drops.

I'd rather play this game at 60 FPS on low than 30 on high/ultra. It's just a preference thing and to me it just feels so much better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

The combat system really comes to life on Death March, I can see that if a lot of people were playing on lower difficulties they would find it mindless

Even death march becomes really easy after you level a bit.

The combat system is fine, but just doesn't have much depth.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

who cares

hows thronebreaker?

A single player Gwent RPG seems extremely my poo poo so I hope it's good.

I'm hoping to have time to check it out during the weekend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

If Geralt/Ciri and the characters people give a crap about aren’t in it then what’s even the point. Still think it should have been them just actually going on a grant gwent tournament tour or something.

I'd rather have a story about some cool side characters than just shoehorning Geralt/Ciri into everything

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm probably buying Thronebreaker (if it ends up being good) but telling other people they shouldn't care about CDPR being lovely is pretty hosed up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Gog updates your library if you use Galaxy. The fact you don't have to is another advantage.

Getting yet another program to launch games from is a negative

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

Did you play any of The Banner Saga games? They're end-of-the-world tactical RPG fantasy Oregon Trail games with an art style like classic Disney films and a never-ending series of tough choices and real consequences.

and horrible combat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

What did you find horrible about it? I played the first one on easy so maybe I missed some nuances. Had fun, though.

I'll borrow the explanation from Endorph since she said way better than I ever could (I'm not sure if they ever fixed it in the sequels though).

Endorph posted:

the combat in banner saga is so horrifically bad and tedious that it actually makes me angry that they got away with putting it into a video game they charged money for. hp and damage are the same stat, and enemy turns are taken up on a global basis, so leaving enemies alive means they'll waste actions moving guys that can barely do any damage. therefore the solution is to just whittle everyone down to 1 hp, then kill them off one at a time. the combat has exactly one (1) battle with any kind of objective besides killing anything, and exactly zero (0) battles that don't take place in a flat box. and you essentially just have two kinds of units, ranged and melee, with the only differences being rather they do counter damage (garbage because that ruins the primo strat of reducing everything to 1 hp) and whether or not they have aoe attacks (broken because you're leaving everything at 1 hp)

the writing is also extremely stiff, both tonally and because it feels like it was translated poorly from danish or polish or something, even though the studio's based in texas, but then again it's made up by ex-bioware staff so bad writing isn't surprising. a few of the characters are interesting and the world is distinctive but the characters mostly just stand around in circles talking gruffly about the Bad Things from the Dark Place, and also sometimes one of them says 'piss.' the art is very high quality and the animations flow decently well but the game essentially only has six-seven characters that it recolors and alters the beards of. the oregon trail type stuff is interesting but it mostly exists to feed into the combat, and, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

You can either have a program to download your updates automatically, or you can download them manually - and with GOG you can pickj whichever suits you the best, so yes, it is an advantage.

I just want to have them all on steam

also nationalize steam