Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Thronebreaker for the Switch worth $20 or should I wait for a sale?

I think it's worth it, however I did buy it on a sale. It scratches that GWENT itch quite well and if you're into the lore it's pretty good from that point of view too.

Working on my second play through, about to enter the stage in the game where I just kind of stopped last time, haven't finished the main quest. At level 25 or so, I feel most things I encounter doesn't really present too much of a challenge. Any suggestions? Should I head into the DLC already?

I also see there's an enemy scaling option, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Enemy scaling will help some.

The DLCs have much harder encounters, bosses in particular, but you're too low level to do those.

I'd suggest just pushing through the main quest then hit the DLCs. If you decide to replay you might get Ghost Mode or another rebalance mod to up the difficulty.

Thanks! Seemed to do the trick, leveled really quickly - it seemed like one hell of a grind to level up to superior, let alone grandmaster armor without pushing the main quest further along.

Also some version of this sentiment has probably been mentioned several times earlier, during this second attempt I've ploughed through the books but it did give context to certain things and made me appreciate the way CDPR chose to approach the source material. The love showed to even the smallest side quest writing was quite endearing.

Case in point, the Black Pearl - sort of a throw away fetch quest, I expected to get screwed by the quest giver sooner or later but the finish with the veteran opening up about his hope against hope try to get any response from his aging wife with dementia hit right in the feels. Something that to me at least, channeled some of the best parts of Sapkowski's melancholy writing.

So yeah, if you have the inclincation and time, do read the books.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What's a good way of growing your gwent collection early on?

Check every merchant for cards. Play everyone until you win (to get a random card). That's it I guess.. also it is not fun to pick up a gwent habit half way through the game, if you aim for completion.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

But the quest! (IDK if that matters for anything)

Well.. I don't think it really matters that much. I suppose you could motivate it by preparing for the High stakes tournament. Though you don't need absolutely EVERYTHING to comfortably beat the opponents in that one... plus I think you can't finish your card collection without partaking in the tournament (someone will correct me on this).

Also, a buddy of mine just enjoyed roleplaying a roaming card player that occasionally offered his witcher services to further enable his gwent addiction.

You enjoy the game your way, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Do I have to get lucky to find hero cards, or do you get them differently?

These are part of the location quests, so the baron card is one for example. I don't think any hero cards come off random merchants. I can't remember how you triggered each of the "gwent players" quests, I think the main quest line sort of naturally brought you into contact with the key players.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

webmeister posted:

Yeah, this is my perspective as well. Once you've got a decent groove and build going oils absolutely aren't necessary, but I found constantly switching out to the inventory screen to change (or re-equip, in longer fights) took me out of the game. If there were only a handful of oils, and/or accessible from the quick access menu (the same one with signs and pockets) it would've been a bit different.

Yeah, to each his own. I'm in SirSamVimes camp though.

It might be perverse, but with old man reflexes...and especially on higher difficulties and or with enemy levelling when you need the edge - it does add to the RP of the RPG when you have to pause for awhile (if possible) before combat to prepare and plan your encounter. Even if they are your run-of-the-mill pack of drowners, nekkers.. ghouls.

So my standing recommendation is to start without mods until you figure out what you like.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I've never played any of these games or read any of these books but I bought this in the steam sale for cheap and I've been having fun banging prostitutes, playing gwent, killing monsters, getting sidetracked by every little quest and "?" location, and stealing literally everything. My favorite so far is stealing from an innkeeper's private back stash, immediately selling it back to them, and then blowing the money on hookers and gwent.

I assume I am playing this correctly?

And then there are people like this - also 200% correct.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly found the moral ambiguity in the decisions you make in this game to be refreshing and one its high points. I never finished it because I simply get overwhelmed with open world games anymore and don't have the time to sink into them but quests having Dark, gently caress You, Darker, Really loving Bleak and Why Do I loving Bother outcomes wasn't one of the reasons why I put it down. If anything, it kept me playing.

It was kind of a cool departure from the binary Good/Evil choices you're usually faced with in RPG's. Or, worse, the railroaded ones where it doesn't even matter what conversation tree you pick or what you choose to do.

I'm a cynic though so maybe with W3 it just added to my immersion.

And in between all that ambiguity, the game includes those vignettes, where you (geralt) is having more or less, briefly, a good time. It is remarkable how well the writing manages to capture the spirit of the source material :discourse:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Witcher 2 is addressed in W3. When you meet triss it is discussed. The 2 romance plots in W3 are either triss and geralt or yen and geralt resolving those types of differences. I both are good stories as far as video game romances go, the yen/geralt one will likely be more satisfying for anyone with prior knowledge of the books. I did triss my first run, and subsequently have done yen every time.

Funny how from the same premise, I ended up going Triss every time, since the type of high strung (constantly arguing in a) relationship is exhausting.. and I'd argue that Triss' morals are bit more palatable, at least she didn't torture dead stable boys. Haven't played W1 or 2 though.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Cobalt-60 posted:

Well, there's nothing saying you can't pursue them both...

it's definitely the comedy option

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Maugrim posted:

Still a sign of a lazy/inexperienced designer to plonk down a quest advancement trigger without setting suitable dependencies.

They crunched, iow bioware magicked. The release state wasn't perfect but nothing lazy or inexperienced about it. The poo poo that's left unpatched just never was prioritized (those drat frozen whale breaches... My immersion...)

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

But the rose of remembrance is wilted :colbert:

gently caress destiny.. :colbert:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Also, if you had your adolescent brain broken by Signore Eco and his rose. You get a kick out of all the intertextuality. Much like the reference I'm making, I'm not sure how genious it was or if this also was; throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

loving spheres man.. far out.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

The thing about the original wish is that, whether it’s removed or not, Geralt and Yen wouldn’t feel a thing. All it did was tie their fates together so the Djinn couldn’t kill Yen, because Geralt was its master and it couldn’t kill Geralt. It didn’t tie their feelings in any way. That was all on them.

I'm one of those dense motherfuckers that conflate their fates being tied, with them having feelings for each other.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I just interpreted the books as establishing that destiny was a real thing in the fiction. Which made what would otherwise have been convenient, borderline Deus ex machina, events feel grounded and not hacky.

In the same vein, genies being real and capable of influencing reality didn't seem out of place. I just thought it included character's inner workings as well.

It's a good thing that you can have different takes on this though.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

The TV series suffers mostly from being a Netflix production. It could have used more pre production time. There are some moments that come together nicely, but it feels like the only one passionate about the thing is Superman.

I can't imagine someone new to the Witcher being engaged as much as confused by it, but that's just like my opinion man.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been rewatching the Netflix show in anticipation of the PS5 release, and while it is still bad I feel like a lot of the scenes work pretty well if you've already read the books (but are almost totally incomprehensible to anyone who has only played the games or is a newcomer to the series). Some random thoughts:

-Henry Cavill is perfect casting, like it's crazy
-mostly same with the guy who plays Dandelion though now I just lol at the terrible alternative look he's getting in W3
-just putting all the scenes in chronological order instead of jumping around to multiple different timelines would have improved the show at least threefold
-every Ciri scene in the first season is terrible
-most Yennefer scenes are also terrible but the one time they actually did something pretty interesting with timeline jumps is when it cuts from her being beautiful and getting her dream job to like thirty years later when she is already bitter and disillusioned
-having read the books the scenes that end up being big twists later (the hedgehog knight, the guy chasing Ciri) are way more compelling but by the time they get there in the show its gonna be the bad Hemsworth brother on a shoe-string budget so it's more interesting as a what-if

Broadly, it suffers from being a Netflix production. Casting was good but holy poo poo did it need like a year more of pre-production baking. It has momentary flashes of the good stuff but it just can't decide if it's targeting a new audience (mostly not) or fan servicing (poorly). For every good new idea it undercuts itself with half measures.

What a waste of talent.

Witcher 3 is still the biggest (most successful) love letter to the books in any media. For the original stories at least, I don't expect any production to both 'get it' and have the production value to find a new audience any time soon.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

Geralt calling a goat a stupid piece of poo poo will never not put a smile on my face.

Hear, hear

Also, can't wait to get my GPU upgraded so that I can flip all the switches and grind my teeth to dust over all the new performance jank :v:

I think I left the game at Toussaint out of frustration of not getting the timing right in the tournament, specifically hitting the targets from horseback. loving hell... Anyone have any tips for that?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC you can use the crossbow for the entire thing and the semi-auto aim will basically do the hard part for you. You still have to be vaguely on target, but I believe hitting the sword targets was the challenging half.

Oh yes the loving sword animation..that was it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you're not already, hold down your sword swing, time will slow down when you're close to the target.

Huh, that might have escaped me, gonna have to give it a go.

Thanks guys!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Played Gwent IRL for the first time last night, despite owning the decks ever since the DLC came out.

Kind of a dumb game since there are so many cards that are just objectively bad with no reason to ever use them. And since you have all the cards it's not like playing it in W3 where you have to make do with what you've found. Still, it's an amusing novelty.

Well, there's always Condottiere :v:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wrong, she's a rapist who took advantage of a disabled person

Hey now, it was totally consensual, unlike the Djinn enforced coupling with a narcissist egomaniac.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not aware of any Djinn Enforced Couplings in either the books or the games.

I my save, it's always going to be kick the djinn to the curb and leave Yen to sulk on the mountain top. gently caress destiny. Never rub a lamp.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

She literally catfishes and gaslights Geralt by pretending his fragmented memories of Yen were of her. How is that consensual??

That didn't happen because I went books -> Witcher 3. Everything else is someone's janky fever dream :colbert:

Though I have warm feelings about the Gin enforced coupling with Shani - which is probably the most healthy/normal sexual relationship Geralt has with a woman.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Geralt turns up to Kaer Morhen amnesiac, but with the knowledge that he's looking for a sorceress that he loves and Triss goes, 'Hey isn't that wild? I'm a sorceress,' knowing full well that he's looking for Yen. Then in the second game she uses the Rose of Rememberance as a magical roofie, you even get a 10% magic resistance trait if you turn down the sex. Witcher 3 even makes it explicit that your relationship with Triss is not loving when you find the rose of rememberance that she kept and it's wilted.

That's definitely worse than the tripe I imagined in my head. I'll just keep my head canon where Triss is cool and Yen is just exhausting to be around.

Though obviously Shani is the correct choice you can't make.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

This is probably true but I have some sort of brain problem where I get incredibly distracted by voice acting where the actor is trying to put on an accent but I can hear their native accent coming through underneath, so I found Shani incredibly grating lol (in Witcher 3). Same with Letho and Guillaume in B&W.

Yeah, I have that happen with other stuff, it's worse when the underlying accent is from close to home.

e: I imagine doing a consistent accent as an actor is probably really hard if you're doing takes and especially if they are spaced out over time and there's no time alotted for polishing that stuff. It is impossible for me to maintain an accent unless I'm thinking in it.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 30, 2023

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I get people picking Triss over Yen in W3, even if they are obviously and objectively wrong. But the hate people have for Yen is pathological. She's absolutely great, everything she does is completely justified and none of you would bat an eye at it if it was Geralt doing those things. Big hard choices with no good outcomes is the bread & butter of the series, and Yen is making those big hard choices constantly and some of y'all think she's a monster for it. Look inward.

The funny perennial romance debate aside, as a character I find Yen most interesting when you don't know whether she's just looking out for number one or not. I feel like that's something the netflix show was in too much of a hurry to get rid of. (only seen the first two seasons.) She's absolutely at her best when conflicted between her own gain and the proto family she finds herself in.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

yennefer is capable of deep insight and empathy, but there are maybe three people on the planet whom she believes warrant that level of consideration and if they ever end up in trouble then it's bad times for anyone and anything else who might stand between her and their safety. because of that empathy, she's also not smothering or overprotective, like when geralt nervously tells her that he took ciri to deal with the remaining crones and she bluntly responds "you granted her the revenge and closure she sorely needed and you're two of the most skilled warriors in the realm, why on earth would i be upset about this"

it's fascinating how everyone in-game consistently misjudges her personality too, because she's so prickly and disinterested in explaining herself

Whenever Geralt eats humble pie, it's the best.

Also, Yen should definitely aim higher, like what prospects does a two bit Witcher in dad bod armor really bring to the table?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

..the brilliant rear end in a top hat archetype and i hate it when Cumberbatch's Sherlock (for example) is just allowed to be an rear end in a top hat by everyone around him because he is just that smart and also suffers no narrative consequences for it because the writers bend over backwards justifying it.

Sherlock is like a paper thin character, that's all he is.

I'd say that Yen is more competent and earns respect through that - though there's a lot of interpretation when it comes to the books and a bit less open ended in W3 because it's basically a (lovingly) written fanfic.. aaand there's always intent and the author and so on.

Just for shits, I'm trying to come up with a similarly written female character in pop culture but I'm kinda coming up short. Like, I can name real life people (like real life, not celebrities) that unapologetically get poo poo done (and are awesome to be around) - but I'm kinda struggling coming up with a fictional one, anyone?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Velen has rabbits and deer just running around on the roads all over. What's the deal with all these peasants starving? I guess they're scared of monsters or bandits or whatever.

Rabbit famine. Also partially the reason why all the prepper fantasies are just that, fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank

You'd have merchants pooling resources into ships and shipments or betting for or against voyage success. There's a ton of interesting irl historical poo poo you could do. It's been so loving long, but I'm fairly sure there hasn't been any allusion to a trading company in any of the Witchers?