Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Rock troll we are talking about is directly west of oxenfurt not far from the coast. Go there for some fun.

Which ending are you referring too with Fyke Isle? Since both involve death, but one is much different than the other.

Now that I've been spoiled on the rock troll I will ensure he receives a gruesome death, as is thematically appropriate for the game (I'm kidding. Maybe.).

Also it was the end where oops the spirit was vengeful and taking her remains to the apparently regretful man ends up with him dead, which in hindsight is probably justified because what the hell did that moron think was going to happen in the rape-iest game I've ever played? Oh well, c'est la vie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Do not kill trolls.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HoboTech posted:

Now that I've been spoiled on the rock troll I will ensure he receives a gruesome death, as is thematically appropriate for the game (I'm kidding. Maybe.).

Also it was the end where oops the spirit was vengeful and taking her remains to the apparently regretful man ends up with him dead, which in hindsight is probably justified because what the hell did that moron think was going to happen in the rape-iest game I've ever played? Oh well, c'est la vie!

Spoilers obvs. The ghost was lying to you in the tower. she contradicts herself about simultaneously not being able to leave the tower and wandering down to the water and she's actually a plague Wraith called a Pesta. if you poke enough holes in her story she gets mad and attacks you and you need to find another solution to the curse.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

trolls are precious, do not kill trolls. they are some of the best comic relief in the game

And yes, Velen is by far the bleakest part of the game. There is still plenty of grim stuff but Novigrad, Skellige, and HoS have more fun/upbeat stuff mixed in and B&W is like the opposite of Velen where it's mostly whimsy and goofiness (with a dark underbelly)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HoboTech posted:

The alternative was this The ghost is lying to you. You can call her out on it, and instead you can bring that guy to the island. He then is killed by kissing her so they can be together again. That seems rough, but if you go into his home, there is a noose handing from the rafters near his shrine to her. He was not long for the world regardless

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah Geralt explained it after the fact to Keira, who then poked fun at me for being bad at my job.

edit: Also I will make no troll-related promises. I have learned now that the world is a harsh place and there's no room for mercy. Everyone must step into the all-consuming void sooner or later, even trolls.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 15, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HoboTech posted:

Yeah Geralt explained it after the fact to Keira, who then poked fun at me for being bad at my job.

Btw minor spoiler thing here to guide you towards a happier outcome for something coming up soon for you You do not have to fight keira, send her to Kaer Morhen

If you would like, we can also give some very rough guidance in similar ways. Hints and whatnot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't punch Dijkstra, Give wine to Shani, Summon the Bitches.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Btw minor spoiler thing here to guide you towards a happier outcome for something coming up soon for you You do not have to fight keira, send her to Kaer Morhen

If you would like, we can also give some very rough guidance in similar ways. Hints and whatnot.

Appreciate the effort but I actually managed to do that by accident. Got the same result with that Letho fellow, too. Sometimes my old RPG instincts serve me well I guess.

But actually I'd rather not have anything else spoilered for me, either directly or subtly. At this point I already intend to replay the game so anything I miss the first time can stay a surprise for the second time. It's part of the reason I'm actually glad I waited 4 years to play it without having any previous interest. The game does a good job setting up who most of the main characters are, gives info on the ones it doesn't, and everything else has been a genuine surprise even if the game does end up making me think that maybe Griffith did nothing wrong.

Edit: alright now I'm gonna punch Djreska or whoever, keep all the wine for myself, and let the bitches go to voicemail, got it

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

Also I will make no troll-related promises. I have learned now that the world is a harsh place and there's no room for mercy. Everyone must step into the all-consuming void sooner or later, even trolls.

boats guard boats

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fritz the Horse posted:

boats guard boats

Gentle... Gentle...

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

boats guard boats

what did you just call me

I'm going to go play more, genuine thank you for keeping the hints vague

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

what did you just call me

I'm going to go play more, genuine thank you for keeping the hints vague

not so much a hint, you'll know what we mean when you meet your first couple of rock trolls

As mentioned, there's a troll with an entertaining story/quest just west of Oxenfurt.

The actual genuine hints are pretty much:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't punch Dijkstra, Give wine to Shani, Summon the Bitches.

Quite a bit later you'll have an option to shove Dijkstra. Doing so abruptly ends an important quest chain, there's no warning that it would do so. Strongly recommended you not shove Dijkstra on your first playthrough so you can finish the associated quest. You can always be an rear end in a top hat on the second playthrough.

"Summon the bitches" refers to a drinking party. You are encouraged to get as shitfaced and stupid as possible because the outcome is entertaining.

Same with "give Shani wine," it leads to an amusing outcome.

Shoving Dijkstra is the only thing in the game that locks you out of significant content so it's worth warning you about.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Really digging the glowing eyes mod. Down right predatory with the toxicity high enough.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Makes all the conversations where people are treating Geralt like he's...not quite human make more sense.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fritz the Horse posted:

not so much a hint, you'll know what we mean when you meet your first couple of rock trolls

As mentioned, there's a troll with an entertaining story/quest just west of Oxenfurt.

The actual genuine hints are pretty much:

Quite a bit later you'll have an option to shove Dijkstra. Doing so abruptly ends an important quest chain, there's no warning that it would do so. Strongly recommended you not shove Dijkstra on your first playthrough so you can finish the associated quest. You can always be an rear end in a top hat on the second playthrough.

"Summon the bitches" refers to a drinking party. You are encouraged to get as shitfaced and stupid as possible because the outcome is entertaining.

Same with "give Shani wine," it leads to an amusing outcome.

Shoving Dijkstra is the only thing in the game that locks you out of significant content so it's worth warning you about.

HoboTech posted:

But actually I'd rather not have anything else spoilered for me, either directly or subtly.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Becoming a witcher is just a roll of the dice.

The first rate physical conditioning they go through is on par with something like special forces or SAS, but it doesn't lend itself to surviving the trial. Whether or not you can survive the trial of the grasses is down to your genetics, I've decided.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dijsktra is such a fun character, and I love all of the dialogue between him and Geralt. It's a shame that his grand master plan in his final quest involves killing a bunch of Geralt's other friends. He probably could've flourished in trying to dominate Redania beneath Nilfgaardian dominion.

moxieman posted:

Do not kill trolls.

But...but...I need their organs!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

There is a respawning troll in the far south of Velen by the crossroads signpost

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I honestly found the moral ambiguity in the decisions you make in this game to be refreshing and one its high points. I never finished it because I simply get overwhelmed with open world games anymore and don't have the time to sink into them but quests having Dark, gently caress You, Darker, Really loving Bleak and Why Do I loving Bother outcomes wasn't one of the reasons why I put it down. If anything, it kept me playing.

It was kind of a cool departure from the binary Good/Evil choices you're usually faced with in RPG's. Or, worse, the railroaded ones where it doesn't even matter what conversation tree you pick or what you choose to do.

I'm a cynic though so maybe with W3 it just added to my immersion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's worth noting that the real reason moral ambiguity like that tends to be rare is that it's very hard to write genuine ambiguity and maintaining that tone as opposed to just being absurdly dark and edgy.

It's really impressive to be able to maintain those notes of melancholy and resignation without being overwhelmed by everything.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly found the moral ambiguity in the decisions you make in this game to be refreshing and one its high points. I never finished it because I simply get overwhelmed with open world games anymore and don't have the time to sink into them but quests having Dark, gently caress You, Darker, Really loving Bleak and Why Do I loving Bother outcomes wasn't one of the reasons why I put it down. If anything, it kept me playing.

It was kind of a cool departure from the binary Good/Evil choices you're usually faced with in RPG's. Or, worse, the railroaded ones where it doesn't even matter what conversation tree you pick or what you choose to do.

I'm a cynic though so maybe with W3 it just added to my immersion.

And in between all that ambiguity, the game includes those vignettes, where you (geralt) is having more or less, briefly, a good time. It is remarkable how well the writing manages to capture the spirit of the source material :discourse:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher isn't a world where nothing good happens. Lots of good happens in it, in the moments, here and there. There is love, happiness, humour, compassion, empathy and all other positive aspects of human existence all across the games. Geralt doesn't always get the chance to see these things because he's a cynical curmudgeon whose line of work is usually unpleasant and incredibly violent, but even he can enjoy a drink and feel things, much as he pretends not to.

Like Where The Cat and Wolf Play's aftermath, for example. I like Millie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's worth noting that the real reason moral ambiguity like that tends to be rare is that it's very hard to write genuine ambiguity and maintaining that tone as opposed to just being absurdly dark and edgy.

That's a good point.

None of the resolutions that turned out to be "suck" or"slightly less sucking" felt cheap or done just for the sake of making the experience feel grim dark. Usually, the effect was was "oh, no. Did I make the right choice? gently caress me...noooo"

Sometimes there just isn't a good or correct choice, poo poo happens and you do the best you can. Even though you're the titular hero, you can't control everything, which is a welcome change from The Chosen One stuff we usually get in RPG's. And you're on point about the writing too. I have a ton of nitpicks about W3 that keep me from playing it but the storytelling this game pulls off is not one of them, is really compelling and probably it's biggest strength along with its graphics.

This thread started 6 years ago, people are still contributing to it and there's still a steady influx of newcomers. Game did something right.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It really is a generational game. Replayed it recently, and wasn't exactly surprised but was nevertheless delighted to see it holds up. A healthy modding community helps, to be sure, but the story beats still hit the same and the expansions are the gold standard in my book

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Geralt himself is so world-weary and tired of people's poo poo that he's great to hear talk. Especially with that near monotone style of speaking.

Just a bunch of smartass poo poo spewed at people when they deserved it:
"WE HAVE A DRAGON LOOSE"
'Uh yeaaaahhh, a dragon... with fur... that... howls at night?'
"TIS THE EVIL FORETOLD BY OUR SHAMAN"
'... riiiiiiiiight. So, uh, 600 crowns for the kill right?"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Witcher isn’t Geralt’s story
It’s a story that he is in.

It’s Ciri’s story

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
that's not true, it's Bart's story.

guard chorfun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Take big turdydump.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Helith posted:

It’s Ciri’s story

It's Alvin's story

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mike the TV posted:

It's Alvin's story

lol yeah

Witcher 2 It's Saskia's

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Game is stuck.

I'm supposed to ask Triss if she wants my help getting the mages out of novigrad, but there is no option for the dialog when I talk to her. I've spoken to everyone else, who all told me to sod off. I thought I could complete another quest or so, to maybe unstick the logic, but still nothing.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

lite_sleepr posted:

Game is stuck.

I'm supposed to ask Triss if she wants my help getting the mages out of novigrad, but there is no option for the dialog when I talk to her. I've spoken to everyone else, who all told me to sod off. I thought I could complete another quest or so, to maybe unstick the logic, but still nothing.

What's the name of the quest? Now or Never? A Matter of Life and Death?

Did you complete Count Reuven's Treasure?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dijsktra is such a fun character, and I love all of the dialogue between him and Geralt. It's a shame that his grand master plan in his final quest involves killing a bunch of Geralt's other friends. He probably could've flourished in trying to dominate Redania beneath Nilfgaardian dominion.

the whole game is basicaly which geralt do you like, book geralt or Game geralt since now geralt remembers his past(aka the books), so its stuff like romance, that choice and a bunch of others that play into that theme. Dijsktra is a major character in the books and a friend of sorts of geralt in them if i remember. he is also hedging on geralt not wanting to get involved with the politics of the events and letting him do his thing, unfortunatly in him, he gambled wrong. i like the choice in general because both choices have good and bad options and reasons to do them. the only truly bad choice is letting radovid live.

Helith posted:

It’s Ciri’s story

its both. ciri is the hero and the one saving the world, but you being GOOD DAD helps her get there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dijkstra isn't really Geralt's friend. He's a political player who likes to butter people up for his own ends and the last time he and Geralt met it ended badly. The rest of the books are Dijkstra doing his own thing for what he thinks will strengthen Redania the most because he's a stubborn patriot at heart.

Apparently the second season of Witcher Netflix may have someone akin to a lady Gaunter O'Dimm. If that's the case I want my lady Thaler swearing up a storm.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dijkstra is the books is mostly there to cut back to so you know how the political situation in redania is evolving

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Push that fucker over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Helith posted:

It’s Ciri’s story

You're not wrong, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the least interesting part

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PittTheElder posted:

You're not wrong, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the least interesting part

yeah. its more like the end goal is boring but the journey was the best part.

OhFunny posted:

Push that fucker over.

"Shove Dijkstra aside. Forcefully"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

What's the name of the quest? Now or Never? A Matter of Life and Death?

Did you complete Count Reuven's Treasure?

No, it's Brothers in Arms. I think I finished the questline with Triss because I didn't smooch at the maze garden, but I also haven't helped with the Great Escape.

I can't pick up the quest where I do the second half of Novigrad involving Sigi either. That part with the monocled dude who swears like a sailor.

I checked my failed quests as well and all that is listed is Collect 'em All and gangs of novigrad. It's like there's a sequence or script bug that's preventing me from having the option to start Triss' final quest line. Like some small side quest was done out of order.

e: I figured it out. Turns out I bugged the poo poo out of the game when I found Whoreson. Rather than leave the estate, I hopped a wall and went on with the game. This is the source of a bug, since i'm supposed to use the main gate which triggers a cutscene and the Redania's Most Wanted quest. I went back to Whoreson's mansion to see if I could leave the gate and trigger the event, but I found Whoreson in his Room of Horrors. I hit A to interact with him and he quips "Oh, Witcher, still alive?"

Looks like I have to try to use console commands. Or I can just proceed to the isle of mists but without Triss' help or finishing Sigi's stuff.

Sucks.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 19, 2021