Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CVagts posted:

Refresh my memory: which quests will autofail when I go to open up Kaer Morhen? I know I need to finish Following the Thread, The Last Wish, and Now or Never, but what else? Do I need to do Keira's quests? What about Roche's?

Dandelion's as well, not sure on the others but probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Roche.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

That show looks awful

You think you've got a good handle on how bad it is, but up that by a couple thousand percent and you might be in the ballpark.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

This comment only makes me want to see it more. Compelled to see a witcher train wreck.

Yeah that's what I thought. I regret it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Im reading this wrong, right? Blood and Wine can't possibly be 35gb.

Depending on your platform the download itself will likely be smaller.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not going to look because I dread the results but I'd bet someone, somewhere on the internet has your back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The weirdest part is how they don't look like complete garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

andrew smash posted:

i'm not sure if it's ever clear, if it is i missed it, but i've wondered if this is more magic makeup or magic plastic surgery.

It's explicitly resculpting their bodies, which the books say is part of why they're all kind of mean and crazy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So when Emhyr var Emreis' glossary entry says Geralt is linked to Ciri "by the iron bonds of Destiny" is that Destiny a noun with a capital D like some object, or are we talking destiny in the usual metaphysical sense here

Yes.

Ciri's destiny is sort of a big to-do in the Witcherverse, above and beyond just Ciri. You'll find out most of it in the course of things.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please don't talk about a lovely card game in this, a thread for a good RPG that happens to have a lovely card game inside it.

(Is joke.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I don't know about you, but I don't consider a species as "developing" until they stop eating people.

I have bad news for you.

(Or are we joking past each other.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
How about we not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shut up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This thread has proven multiple times that it is not capable of having a rational discussion about this kind of thing without chasing away all of the people trying to talk about the game, of which there are a bunch of people who just bought it on sale and are playing the DLCs for the first time. Try not to sound like giant assholes this time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least one other person in this thread has reported that, so it's probably not just you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Is the DLC really worth it? £20 for only 30 hours gameplay seems a bit steep when the 100 hour base game only cost that much to start with. Do they add anything to the gameplay or is it pretty much just more of the same?

Blood and Wine is so good that it breaks the rules and makes Witcher 3 also GOTY 2016.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you can tell me more about what sort of groups you've having trouble with I can write a whole lot of dumb words about this video games combat.

As to ranged dudes specifically, get the parry ranged ability immediately and just watch those fuckers, a perfect parry will send it back at them instead of just elsewhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I miserably failed my promise to myself to wait a year before playing through this again, which is especially funny because I basically don't replay games in general. But while doing it, A Towerful of Mice started out freaky, like last time, but then got ruined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OeAPZYSH8

Orv
May 4, 2011
That reminds me, Comte did you ever talk about all the quests you worked on in the end?

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo I didn't even consider that, you're right, I'm poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I dunno. It would take too long to list all the ones I worked on, by the end of W3 I probably worked on two or three dozen quests. When I was brought on to W3 in the last couple years of development, I was originally working on a big quest chain with a seperate team of writers and designers. That quest chain was eventually cut for reasons. The only remainders of that quest chain still around are Eye for an Eye, Blood Ties, and Contract: Patrol Gone Missing. Eye for an Eye was also hugely trimmed down, it used to be a lot bigger.

Other than those three, the quests in W3 I was most involved with (though didn't originally design) are: Funeral Pyres, Ghosts of the Past/Fall of the House of Reardon, Fencing Lessons, The Aparian Phantom, Muire D'Yaeblen, Tower Outta Nowhere, and Fool's Gold.

I was assigned to BaW and not HoS, but I still designed and implemented The Taxman Cometh, and Rose on a Red Field, the latter of which I'm not particularly happy with how it turned out, but it was designed and implemented in just a couple of days, so that's something I guess.

BaW, I designed/implemented: Equine Phantoms, Feet Cold as Ice, also worked a bunch on Till Death Do You Part and A Knight's Tales. My big quest here got cut for production, it took place in Fox Hollow and involved genocide, ya'll would have liked it. Also I had a troll quest that was *great* but the director didn't think it was funny so it got shot into space.

Good to know. I really liked Equine Phantoms so good job there, though I don't think I caught any references to the movie in A Knight's Tales so you hosed up. :colbert: (To be fair maybe I wasn't paying attention well enough, I'll let you know when I get back to it... in a hundred hours. :gonk:)

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 1, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Joda posted:

Btw are Witchers actually supposed to lose all emotion in the mutations and the games have been ignoring that fact similar to how the new Star Trek is retconning Vulkans, or is it more of an in-universe myth that doesn't hold?

A whole lot of what you can make Geralt say/do doesn't make any sense if you say he has no emotion.

The games put that aside for the most part. In the books Geralt can be kind of a bland, logical dick because of it, and that wouldn't make for a particularly likeable main character.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gonna go ahead and say it should probably just be called Village of the Cunts for all time from here on out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

Just got this on sale. If I just ignored the card game completely would I be missing much?

No.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well let's be real, the Lodge is not exactly riding high on a train of good ideas by that point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:frogout:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

And he saw that it was good, and thus it went in the second post.

Thanks Lawen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

ok so how's this for a newbie guide to stick in the OP (sorry for megapost)

Done did, sorry for the delay.

Anything else anyone wants to put in the second post when I fix images this weekend?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

:owned:

Why didn't he at least agree to royalties? Did he have to give up anything in exchange, or was it pure "video games are for losers get out of my house" old man nonsense?

His stated reason was something along the lines of not believing anything would come of it, since I think they approached him for the rights pretty early on in the companies history, which was ages ago (early 90s?).

He's since stated that he at least knows he's a massive idiot now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Smol posted:

Hey what's a good strategy to kill shielded dudes apart from parrying them? That works of course, but takes a looong time. I've tried stuff like aard or igni them, but they seem to block that poo poo every time.

Axii or dodging past and immediately quick attacking their back before they turn.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're all banned from the thread for implying there's anything wrong with this game. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Didn't he famously say in some interview or another something along the lines of "Well I was an idiot to turn down the profits, live and learn" years ago? So much for that I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zerilan posted:

So about how does it take to blitz through the first two games for the story? I've heard the gameplay isnt' near as polished as w3 but still kind of want to see the whole plotline.

If you just did the absolute minimum mainline story, probably fifteen to twenty for 1 and eight to twelve for 2? 2 is a considerably shorter game and I'm probably even over-judging it cause I seem to recall beating it in a long afternoon, the first game is more standard for the era of RPG it came out in but you can safely ignore pretty big chunks of it especially since none of it carries really carries over or matters too much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As you may have noticed, Witcher 1 is divisive. If you don't agree with chaos feel free to follow nessin's advice, the game is a slog even if you enjoy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite so far was Polygon saying that The Witcher had extremely flat characters in comparison to The Mandalorian of all things.

Very much enjoyed the show, didn't really care that things were changed, it nailed the soul.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmnh.

Orv
May 4, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

It’s gonna be hard to really compare the two until Cavalt has to round up a goat with a bell while yelling at it and calling it a “stupid piece of poo poo”.

This needs to be an episode all on its own.

Orv
May 4, 2011

E2M2 posted:

Yeah I mean I killed the wraith no problem at level 1 but packs of zombies just wreck me. Can you cancel the attack animation into a Dodge?

It's got similar timing to the Batman games if you've played any of those. Essentially once Geralt's feet have left the ground you cannot cancel an attack so you've got a decent window to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Thronebreaker just a Gwent game or is it a CRPG?

It's a full RPG (though there is some squishiness around just how RPG it gets in places) with gwent for all its combat and a fair bit of visual novel and CYOA shoved in there to boot. It's very good, even as someone who has exactly no time for gwent.