Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Farming Simulator 15 comes out on the same day. Sorry, this game is going to be collecting some dust for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wonder what would happen if a gamer from 1980 who loves playing Pacman and Space Invaders was given 24 hours to play this game. I'm not sure if they would be heartbroken or pissed off that they had to wait 3 and a half decades to experience it again.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love the writing in this game, the dialogue and the plots. Particularly the bulletin board postings. They did a good job at portraying middle aged culture in a more realistic way than your typical campy D&D poo poo that you usually get in video game RPG's.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm still early in the game, and I watched this video on youtube that talks about why you should play the game on easy, because the combat system is flawed, and on easy you can experience more of the better aspects of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lZYTDK_sE

Agree, or disagree?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

He's wrong.

His complaint basically boils down to "there are two acceptable combat systems and it's not one of those so it's bad and don't play it." He complains that he can't predict what attack animation Geralt is going to do, but if you pay attention the attack animation depends on distance to the enemy. If you attack a close enemy Geralt will whack at it, if you attack a far enemy Geralt will try to close the distance with a big swooshy leaping twirling attack. I can see the complaint if you're constantly targeting the wrong enemy and then doing big splashy attacks and getting hit, but you can cancel out if you make a mistake. While the Witcher 3 combat isn't perfect it is pretty good. The biggest problem is the soft lock-on tends to target the wrong person after you sidestep. If you plan to bait an enemy and then sidestep him it's best to lock onto him so you don't accidentally charge his buddies behind him.

Combat in the Witcher 3 is just plain faster than Dark Souls and I think that's where a lot of the Dark Souls players are getting tripped up as well. You have more items attacks and spells, fights have more enemies, Geralt is much more mobile than even the fastest Dark Souls PC and some enemies are nearly as fast as Geralt. I can see players who are used to a more deliberate pace and being good at that pace getting frustrated when the game demands they do more, faster, with less fine-grained control.

Medium should be fine if you're worried about combat difficulty. Honestly Blood & Broken Bones is starting to feel pretty easy for me at level 15. I've finished some group fights (the kind he's complaining about) without taking a hit. I can't imagine playing this on easy for 40 or 80 hours. The comments on this video are actually not insane and you can see him admitting he flat out doesn't know some elements of the combat system in the comments.

Watching his example video: he's really bad. He gets surrounded, gets knocked back out of the group, and trudges right back into being surrounded again. He holds down block when nobody's attacking him and creeps around while the NPCs surround him and start swinging. He could literally be dancing circles around these guys but he's hiding behind his block. He misses easily a dozen chances to counterstrike if only he would sidestep instead of blocking heavy blows. He's playing really badly and then blaming the game. He doesn't appear to be aware of the dodge button even.

"Geralt isn't as nimble on his feet as he should be." :laffo: Yeah this guy has no idea how to play, a lot of people complain that the combat is too mobile.

I think it's funny so many players are complaining it's not like Bloodborne and you have to dodge and roll too much when if you watch combat in Dark Souls or Bloodborne 90% of it is dodging and rolling trying to get behind your opponent.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I think i'll leave it on the harder setting and see how it goes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Asuron posted:

Guys I'm still doing the Bloody Baron quests where I'm now searching for his wife and my game time says I've played for over twenty hours. I keep getting distracted by all these Witcher contracts and cool side quests and I'm worried I'm going to end up overlevelled for all the main quest stuff later on if I keep doing this. Am I right to be concerned or can I keep doing side quests as much as I want. I mean by now I would've just gone ahead and progressed, but quests I thought meant nothing end up with things like meeting Lethos and I really don't want to overlook them.

If easy combat is an issue for you, i'd raise the difficulty, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, and just enjoy all the other aspects of the game.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm trying to learn how to play Gwent and i'm struggling to understand the most basic concepts, as i've never played any of these strategy card games in my life.

How come when the opponent passes, I have to keep playing all my cards, and if I pass after, my opponent wins, or if I pass first, my opponent automatically wins the round? Cant figure out what I am missing here.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I beat the main game, all side quests, visited all ? on the map, played the free DLC missions, and just finished Blood and Wine, and I want more. The amount of time I put into the game is embarrassing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m unsophisticated. I cant notice a difference when enabling ray tracing. And i’m choosing to play on my xbsx rather than my gtx3070 pc because i’d rather spend a hundred hours on my lazyboy and not my desk.

Its nice to be playing a game that has good writing and dialogue again. Witcher 3 makes other medieval style adventure games look like they were written by grade schoolers.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Do you guys haggle over the price for doing contracts?

First time I haggle for 20 more crowns and I get a sob story and have to come back to him in a week to get the whole amount.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Loving the new photo mode. Game looks kick rear end even on console.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 22, 2022

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

From where I’m standing, Witcher 3 does a lot/almost all of the problems BOTW has, where weapon degradation is super restrictive and unfun, there’s a ton of time spent in menus, those menus specifically are loving terrible (everything about how to track down and make what you need for alchemy is just the worst poo poo in the world), the combat feels loose and simplistic and unfun as designed, the game is restricted by really stringent systems like stamina (in original release, it’s fine now) and fall damage and carrying capacity, a lot of time is spent on busywork like buff management et al…the difference between the two is The Witcher’s worldbuilding and storytelling is second to loving none and all of the issues I raised are worth tolerating to experience this game’s narrative (even the objective issues like how it crashes all the mother loving time now due to the new patch). Breath of the Wild’s systems only exist in service of itself because its storytelling is loving laughable.

Nobody plays Zelda for the writing. It's the same story every time. I could skip every word of dialogue in that game and enjoy it no less. Witcher 3 is one of the only games that has writing good enough for me to give a poo poo about. But the gameplay in botw blows away Witcher 3. Combat, exploration, puzzles, crafting, mini games, are all more fleshed out, enjoyable, and polished in botw. And the restrictive elements in botw may seem unnecessary, but there's good intention behind it. Weapons being temporary in botw is incentive to take down enemy encampments and seek out treasure chests. The stamina gauge is incentive to complete shrines to upgrade it, and to give a sense of challenge when scaling mountains and towers. Rainstorms getting in your way makes a beautiful sunny day meaningful. Severely cold or hot weather gives you a sense of urgency. But the weather and environment also aids you. Rain gives you more stealth. Lightning can electrocute enemies. Wind can help you throw bombs further, etc. I'll take that over a weather system that does neither. And most don't know how deep and asymmetrical combat is in botw until they complete the trial of the sword challenges and are forced to kill enemies using unique and creative methods. Even looking at a youtube playthrough of it, it's pretty impressive.

And I wish most of Witcher 3's quests were on the same level as the ladies of the woods, or bloody baron. Some of them are a slog and nowhere near as good. Like the finding dandelion quest. Two hours of finding people, and being directed to go find someone else. Where in botw, I always thoroughly enjoy my game session.

Also, I suck rear end at Gwent.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Replaying this game has me wondering how the developers could have 500 people spending 4 years developing their followup to this game, that doesn't even come close to being as good. Not even counting Witcher's solid source material for inspired writing, and the significant improvements made to Cyberpunk 2077, and the improvements added to this next gen upgrade. This isn't supposed to happen until a developer has milked a long running franchise and is doing a cash crab sequel that they relegate to a B team to develop.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Epic fights

Epic sights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Here's an orchestra doing music from the Ladies of the Woods quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxXp_foNwM

drat good score, drat good quest.