Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How many man hours would you say CDPR put into downgrading the original graphics engine, Comte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Well, they've said Saskia and Iorveth aren't in this game.

Where did they say that?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That particular screenshot looks worse than TW2 actually, which is why I'm not putting that much stock into it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Abigail was at the center of an entire act's plot.

Personally I hope Count Etcheverry is in The Witcher 3 as an absurdly difficult optional boss fight, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At least they managed to get it on the Virtual Boy without that horrible red everywhere. CDPR deserves props.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

I have one question for you all:

Dub or sub?

Dub. The voice work in this series is pretty good, and I find subtitles so distracting in video games I turn them off wherever possible.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Art direction is significantly more important than graphical fidelity.

That said, while I'm digging the monster designs, Geralt's armors are not looking nearly so cool this time and I hope we've just missed all the good ones.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Utnayan posted:

Yeah that rap sheet. Probated for posting about reviews being bought and paid for which showed to be true from those sites after the gamers gate information came out.

Yeah, gamergate opened a lot of eyes. Goons trusted reviewers implicitly before whatever that was supposed to be occurred. We should have listened to you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Archimago posted:

You're right. CDPR should not have published that trailer in 2013 and then never released another trailer since then after things changed.

To be fair they shouldn't have published that trailer with "Actual Gameplay" plastered on it. "Work in progress" would have been more honest. I mean yeah it's industry standard and everyone knows to take it with a grain of salt but still.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

What would you rather have: A game that looks great and runs well, or a game that looks amazing and runs like complete poo poo without a dual video card setup?

Since he just dropped $600 on a new video card I'm guessing he's gonna prefer the latter.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it really "PC Master race" when you're also wanting the vast majority of PC users to be unable to play it though?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ves is probably pregnant with Henselt's rape baby.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You may ask for a source for these claims, but the insider that blew the whistle on the Witcher 3 downgrade scandal is currently on the run from the Russian mob.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Me as well, but only for Geralt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's ok to say that you think a game should have better graphics. It's the weird conspiracy theory poo poo that's the problem.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

You're in luck

The feet that gave Conan O'brien a boner

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

The main thing I want to know about combat is whether they did something about the seemingly arbitrary pauses in animation when you say, get done sword swinging and throw a bomb. I never figured out what that was supposed to mean in 2. Was it a bug, or intentional, or what?

It was a bug and it used to be even worse IIRC. Hope it's gone completely and forever in the next game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Faldoncow posted:

I haven't been following Witcher 3 much, is there much modding tools/support/etc planned for it?

There used to be, but modding would be unfair to consoles so it was removed from the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

I'm watching the Giant Bomb Not-A-Quick-Look right now and I have to say, I really appreciate (tutorial area spoiler) how Kaer Morhen's in W3 is identical to Kaer Morhen's layout in W1. It was really distracting how Redcliffe in Dragon Age: Inquisition looked nothing like Redcliffe in Dragon Age: Origins and I'm glad CDPR isn't making the same mistake.

The throne room the Emperor holds court in at Vizima looks identical to Foltest's throne room from TW1 as well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Dragon fire can't melt steel beams, Geralt

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't know how to respond.

That's how us real goons know you're a hired viral marketer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought it was interesting in the "Oh hey there's five guys here and three of them have shields, how should I set things up so I can kill them safely" sense.

But yeah there are some responsiveness issues too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It does actually, just really inconsistently. Like endregas and poo poo will respawn in Act 1 when you reload but the nekkers in that cave won't.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

This undeniably epic video game inspired me to buy a brand new Nvidia GeForce® GTX™ 980 to play the game it was meant to be played, and I look forward to slaying monsters with excellent combat mechanics and exploring the rich, expansive open-world content in what GameSpot is calling, "one of the best role-playing games ever crafted." [source]

Congratulations, gamer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Roshnak posted:

Signs were already pretty brutal in the previous games.

In the second game that's only really true if you put points into upgrading them. Which is fair enough, really. I mean, igni was almost totally useless without upgrades but really good if you were magic focused.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, this sucks. I'm way too antsy to play this to focus on any other game since I got my W2 saves, this thread has nothing to talk about and the entire rest of the internet seems to consist of nothing but repetitive and stupid "downgrade" complaints. Why couldn't this game have released on Friday, gently caress, I'm not gonna have a lot of time to play on Monday due to having work the next day, and here I am, sitting at home in the weekend, with no interest in playing anything else.

Popular games should release on Fridays, IMHO.

What did you want to talk about?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The PC version is going out last so they have time to patch everything back up to 2013 trailer standards and add the Vergen expansion pack, which are both PC only features.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really hope one of the DLCs let you track down and kill Phillipa because they are the worst person and really deserve it.

There will be more expansions after the announced two, surely? I mean this game is selling great.

I kind of want to see Iorveth do that Comanche fire ant trick to Phil.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So they don't like money?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't understand how Ending Spoilers anyone could get the Dead Ciri ending by accident, honestly. Seems like you have to be a jerk to her constantly to get it.

I found Lambert whiny and annoying about half the time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Lambert is Geralt's annoying younger brother. He pisses him the gently caress off but they still love each other, basically.

He's still an annoying poo poo, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
A lot of people were out of character in the first Witcher game. Lambert was one of them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Alasyre posted:

“Relax, you don’t have to be good at everything” definitely doesn't come off as controlling, though? Neither does "Calm down" for that matter. The others, I can understand.

Like I said, the right answers definitely play out better than the wrong ones, but by the time you find out you're a bad parent it's too late.

Nah, it comes off as dismissive and useless instead.

"You don't have to be good at everything" is a dumb platitude. Ciri specifically has to be good at this, or terrible poo poo happens. Why would you choose that over "I know how to cheer you up" or whatever the other option was when Ciri is specifically asking about that?

Ciri also had a right to be upset over Avallac'h.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Nothing wrong with a little venting when looking at a likely eventual betrayal by a dude that once tried to blackmail her into being an incubator for the King of a bunch of alien elves.

I mean it's not like Avallac'h wouldn't let her have a cookie. Instead he's blowing smoke up her rear end and getting her prepared to make this huge potentially fatal sacrifice while pretending to be her friend, and all the while it turns out he's just a weird obsessive creep that only cares about her due to her genes (which Ciri kinda has a bad history with) and the fact that she has his dead girlfriend's face on a disgusting dhoine body.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

MikeC posted:

Maybe true but I it is not immediately obvious that the option is shutting her down,

The options are "Calm down" and "Go for it". I thought it was pretty straightforward in that regard. Was surprised to learn that "Calm Down" somehow leads to stealing Lara Dorren's necklace though. I imagine Avallac'h is a lot more pissed about that than an overturned table, some scattered documents, and a portrait defaced with a beard and goatee by Yen.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
For people on really borderline rigs (like me), is there a noticeable performance improvement post patch?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm gonna disagree with this thread and say the English fan translations are actually awful. It's the standard hack job extremely literal translation resulting in lovely prose and awkward, unnatural dialogue. I'd wait for the official ones for the last two books.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd go ahead and read the ones that have been officially translated. They're good in their own right (especially the later released ones like Sword of Destiny and Baptism of Fire as the translator got better at his job) and will enhance your enjoyment of the game a lot. It sucks to have to wait for the last two once you're done, but if you've played any of the games you know how the book series ends, anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I tried to read them recently hoping they'd improved but it's just too big of a step down from the official ones.

To give you an idea of how bad they were a few years ago (while still being recommended) When I read the official translation of Sword of Destiny I was shocked to discover a segment where Geralt tried to commit suicide. It didn't come across at all in the fan translation, despite being a clearly really important character moment. The very literal work of a fan translator doesn't suit Sapkowski's style at all. He leaves too much to subtext, which is largely lost in the fan translation. They've supposedly improved over time but I still can't recommend them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you been reading the journal?

Honestly the youtube summaries will only help with the very basics. Probably better for you to just pose your questions here so we can answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri is the most recent descendent of a botched Elven selective breeding experiment to actually have all the desired traits. It's where her teleporting and world hopping comes from. The genes of interest are the "Elder Blood".

Lara Dorren hosed up the program centuries ago by marrying and breeding with a human instead of another Aen Aelle elf, Avallac'h.

The Wild Hunt are the elite of the Aen Elle elves. They used to be able to travel between worlds conquering stuff for shits and giggles, but now they're much worse at it and can only move small groups across at a time or manifest as wraiths. They want Ciri so they can move whole armies again and conquer her world.

The Aen Elle's world is not currently being consumed by an Ice Age. It will be in the future, but that will happen to every world eventually, albeit at different rates.

There are in game books and journal articles that explain all this if you want to know. CDPR avoided huge info dump exposition dialogue and I for one am glad of it but I guess it screws over first timers who don't want to read.

Alasyre posted:

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree, but I don't think any of those responses are nuanced enough if they might end up killing Ciri. Out of curiosity, what happens if you tell Ciri not to steal the horses or telling her it was wrong after the fact? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they continue the tradition of choices having far reaching and save-scumming immune consequences.

That choice has no effect either way.

Also no one choice makes any difference. You have to gently caress up several times for her to die, which is why I don't get people doing it by accident.