Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm getting back into this after just doing the main story, and I'm checking out mods just to give it a slightly different feel than the first time through (and NG+ feels devoid of challenge, though I haven't made it past Vizima); are there any gameplay mods that fix up the economy to be non-trivial, and the loot system less annoying?

All these containers are filled with random junk (rope ladders, fishing nets, broken rakes, etc.), look identical to the nominally useful containers with good crafting materials. Not that you need all that many of them mind you since only the witcher gear is worth crafting but still.

I took Ghost mode for a spin for the tougher combat but it didn't actually feel like it was any fun, and I am constantly needing to run back to the stash to dump poo poo, which is not actually very engaging gameplay.

Next up is probably FCR3 for something that hews a little closer to vanilla. I do see it has a loot reduction module that looks pretty attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just went to check, the saddle is random loot (I got something else), the letter is not.

e: lol after you open the door a couple courtiers come over to gawk at it

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 6, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I had no idea but I only played this for the first time last year. Looks like it was first documented on the wiki in October 2016.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I had to go look it up, I only knew about Adda from the show.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The way the XP system works means I should avoid trying to do high-level quests early? I like the challenge of it but then I'm super over leveled for the main quests, and I'm worried that I'll get next to no xp from them.

E: also no minimap, no map marker, no fast travel (house rule, does get broken for zone travel obviously) is absolutely the way to play. You wind up paying so much more attention to your surroundings and seeing way more of the environment.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 13, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And actually since I'm generally enjoy being under levelled it's probably extra not worth worrying about :v:

One thing I still can't quite figure out is parrying and counterattacks. It seems like most monster attacks can't be parried, and even some human enemies seem to be able to attack through parries? And parries only protect you from one enemy?

Given all that relying on Dodge based combat seems objectively superior.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FCR3 is really good. All the changes make complete sense, there's no reason not to run with it.

I'm also having a lot of fun with my no minimap, no map marker mods, with very rare use of fast travel. Forces you to actually pay attention to where you are, but it took a couple hours to get used to. I am using Friendly HUD though (with marker distance turned down to 50), might be over irritating without that.

No Fall Damage is awesome, highly recommend. Enhanced Targeting also great. Same with Enhanced Weather.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I don't understand the love for Auto Apply Oils or No Weight Limit (granted I play with the FCR reduced loot package). Oils feel ignorable with random monsters, but I enjoy wondering what I'm going to need for the contract beasts. I think Friendly HUD let's you select oils from the quick menu too (I still do it through inventory out of habit).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

webmeister posted:

Agreed.

I don't mind it in certain circumstances, where picking and choosing what to pick up leads to interesting gameplay choices, but the way most modern RPGs operate it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I actually found it especially frustrating in W3, because if you pick up everything then you're going back to town constantly to sell, rather than experiencing the story/sidequests/combat. But then most merchants have limited cash anyway, so you often can't sell it for much money. The game is still constantly throwing junk loot at you while you've got nowhere to put it, but at the same time you need a lot of junk loot to break down for crafting. That whole balance never felt right to me, and the easiest end-run around it is to remove the weight limit and just carry everything.

And I'm not even a real lootwhore in games like this!

The FCR3 reduced junk loot patch is heavenly. No more containers filled with rakes and vials, meaning loot whore me doesn't even have to worry. I was overencumbered once in White Orchard and it's never come up again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Roach clearly has the ability to teleport through space though, Wild Hunt should just be trying to capture him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Does anyone still play this game actively?

I am, though I had no exposure to the series until the Netflix show, so it's pretty fresh to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

treat posted:

I hadn't actually heard of this upcoming update, is it just technical improvements? I recently played up through the first dungeon quest with Keira and was on my way to the Bloody Baron before dropping the game, and previously only played through White Orchard. I just don't have the time or attention span for games longer than 4 or 5 hours. There's no way I restart the game again, is it safe to assume saves will be compatible?

Yeah it looks like it's entirely a technical update, to support the new consoles and to add graphics improvements for PC by the looks of things.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation

It's going to be free for anyone who already owns it, so I don't expect narrative changes or additions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wraiths are easy (as long as there's less than 3 of them I guess): Dodge dodge chop. If you have Yrden, Dodge chop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I definitely don't like killing the dogs. Should really remember to activate Friendly Wolves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What's the point of being alive if you're not showing off to every sorceress you happen upon?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm actually partway through Hearts of Stone right now and I have to say this poo poo is awesome. Gaunter O'Dimm is sus as all hell but in an as yet unclear way, and Olgierd is a fantastic character, just living his best minor gentry turned cossack mercenary or whatever. Olgierd in particular (minus whatever magical curse is surely involved) is the type of warrior aristocracy that should be far more common in the setting.

Which brings me to something that I think the game misses hard on: the character models for the Bloody Baron and Dandelion. Now I haven't read the books, so I have no idea if these characters are depicted the way they're written there, but:
  • The Bloody Baron: Granted it's amazing that the voice actor for this guy is doing his best Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon impression, but I really wish they'd made his character model more attractive? I get the sense that this guy was active and successful military field commander just weeks before the present, yet he looks like he's been idle and useless for years by the time Geralt meets him. I think the lovely nature of his character would work better if the player was initially greeted by a charismatic and energetic commander on first meeting.
  • Dandelion on the other hand I feel like is coded way too young? As far as I can tell he's supposed to be pushing 40, but his character model looks like he's 25.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 9, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, how long ago did the Nilfgaardian Army reach Velen? It really looks feels like that whole situation is less than a month old, with the battle in White Orchard barely occurring beforehand.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Toussaint is rad as balls. I am already over the North

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Sup folks, I am contemplating a replay of this game and need some mod recs, but the modspost in the OP is from 2017 lol

Post at me about the good mods thanks and gobbless

Mods you definitely should not play without:

FCR3 (assuming you aren't running some other balance mod), with Reduced Junk Loot
Friendly HUD
Colored Map Markers
All Quest Objectives on Map
Friendly Meditation
No Fall Damage
Jump in Shallow Water
Next Gen Haystacks
Beautiful Grass V3
All NPC Scabbards

On top of that, you should also disable your position tracking (and just generally avoid fast travel, the world is legit more fun when you travel around it):
Disable Player Pos
Minimap Reworked (using the clock only file)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah FCR is great, and all the changes just make sense. I would even tell even a brand new player to use it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That guy has way more of a Thaler vibe

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man the non-Cat and Wolf gear looks so bad.

Exception: towel Geralt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yea I forgot about those, the starting armor did look boss.

YggiDee posted:

Cat gear looks best at the Enhanced or the Mastercraft level, I don't like how many studs everything gets and the hood is a crime in a game with facial animation this good.

It's true. I hate how nonsensical video game armor gets, why are those Toussaint knights not wearing mail under their plate? Everyone needs to copy the Kingdom Come: Deliverance system.

queeb posted:

ok i wanna do a playthrough with a fuckton of mods, like the FCR, magic spells, poo poo like that. I'll need the script merger to get them all working right?

I mean there's merit in merging it all yourself (use Beyond Compare!) but yea.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 22, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

queeb posted:

oh god i added a ton of mods and now im getting a million failed to merge errors, what have i done

Yeah the merger will fall down hard if there are actual collisions (or just non-text files which can't really be merged at all), and the UI on the manual merger is abysmal. If you have any knowledge of scripting or even just feel comfortable reading code, I'd advise doing it yourself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

queeb posted:

do you use nexus mod manager for it or the actual witcher mod manager?

Use the witcher specific mod manager, I've never known the Nexus one to work with anything.

Also it's very amusing that all the old mods put "don't use nexus mod manager!" everywhere, then almost in unison, the switch to "don't use Vortex!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the last quick stack perk is a massive trap. It's a flat effect, and it prevents other bleeds (eg. runestones) from applying. FCR3 fixes it.

Armor piercing in general is a trap option too, in that it seems good but the actual benefit is so low that anything else is better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I had no real problem with it in Velen, and had quite a bit of fun exploring the South parts of the game that are easily avoidable.

But especially in Skellige skip basically everything not on a large island. That poo poo is not worth it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

itry posted:

I can't stress this enough - turn off the ? marks on the map. Just travel towards places that seem interesting. Follow roads/rivers. Pick up some jobs from the job boards.

Yuuup. One of the mods I use (Friendly HUD?) cuts the discovery range to like 50m or something, and it's great.

Friendly HUD is great. Let's you disable your minimap/quest marker directional thingy so you aren't tempted to just run in a straight line towards your objective, but still have markers when you get close to stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea, and all the potion recipes are available from vendors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the land ones are generally pretty good. But like don't go running across the whole map just because you noticed one you hadn't been to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HD textures tell you not to use the mod manager for that very reason, you just paste the folders into the mod folder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The merger is to resolve things when two mods change the same file (by default the game just loads the first instance of the modded file that it finds and ignores the rest). In some cases this is benign, they might change completely different things in that file for completely separate reasons, meaning you can just merge both sets of changes into one file. That's what the mod merger tries to do. But if two mods try to change the same lines in a file in different ways, you get conflicts, and if they can be merged at all, it's on you to understand what they're trying to and merge them together manually.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't spoil poo poo man

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Helith posted:

The Witcher isn’t Geralt’s story
It’s a story that he is in.

It’s Ciri’s story

You're not wrong, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the least interesting part

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I'm playing Blood and Wine, and I gotta say this Skellige Gwent deck is terrible to play with. God drat this guy and his dead brother.

I also don't understand what the point of reshuffling the graveyard cards back into the deck would be, given that you don't have enough spies to really make use of that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Toussaint loving owns because the weather is nice

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I find whirl very effective, though I use it on single targets to spike damage mostly. Hit them once regular then unload with whirl, release if somebody comes running up behind you

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My problem with Aerondight is that very few enemies live long enough for me to charge it. I've tried using it on random bandits where it does almost no damage, but then they usually die to bleeding out meaning the damage increase doesn't proc

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the Dandelion part of Novigrad is awfully dragging. Triss part is really good though.

If you do go to Skillige one thing I do suggest is climbing the mountains. There's no real reason to do so but it's a fun exploration challenge and the views kind of rule. I do have No Fall Damage turned on though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah about maps, it is best practice when arriving in new settlements to check out the merchants and buy any and all maps they sell. All are useful, many unlock scavenger hunt quests.