Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's a bit hard for me to tell in the trailers, but is the VA for Vesimir the same from W1? Because I thought he had the best voice in the game, and I want to hear more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Forgive me if this has been answered and I already missed it: Will W3 answer finally what the hell Geralt was doing when he was running from Kaer Morhen in the intro to Witcher 1?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Airfoil posted:

It unlocked early. Yet another of CDPR's lies.

Indeed, release-time downgraded. Tired of this poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been playing 1 or 2 hours, loving around in White Orchard. Best looking game i've ever seen, and the intro/flashback/dream hit me with emotions because books. Goddamn this game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing i'm not seeing mention of is the art style in this game. I always thought W2 had a much more "fantasy" look than W1. Not for better or worse, just different. This game is how I imagine W1 would look like with modern graphics. White Orchard reminds me a lot of Vizima Outskirts. I love it! I like that this game ties back into W1 in that way, making all three games, though different, still have some visual consistency. Also...that loving soundtrack.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PirateBob posted:

Gwent: how do you stop passing? I've tried it a couple times and my opponent just keeps drawing cards until he can win. I only wanted to pass one turn, dammit.

If i'm not mistaken, only pass when you are "done" laying out your cards. Your opponent will then do what he does until he's ready to pass, score is counted, and next round begins. You can see how many cards he has left under his name, so you can safely pass when you feel you'll have enough cards left over to win the remaining rounds. At least this is how I think it's supposed to work. I beat that guy in the inn by conserving some cards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

iGestalt posted:

Do we ever get to go to Kaer Morhen? I know it's on the map, but I'm curious what it's use in the game is. Is it a player house?

Basically, Kaer Morhen is like Skyhold. You can recruit your party of followers there including Zoltan, Dandelion, Yennefer, and Triss. Your spymaster is Thaler. You can decorate your castle with various Northern Kingdoms or Nilfgaardian tapestries and windows. You have an outside area that you can either convert to a shrine of melitele, which confers bonuses to sex, or an herb garden for alchemy.

This is all a lie, I have no idea, but I heard it was fully explorable at one point. I hope so.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those who don't have the "World of the Witcher" hardback, get it. Dandelion wrote it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pylons posted:

It's the same dude according to IMDB. Maybe he's narrating the story as a super old elf now?

Do we know for sure that's Dandelion? It sounds like Vesimir to me. If Dandelion is telling the story though, it would have to be in the future, since he's cleary not with Geralt in the beginning of the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah I guess. He sounds off-puttingly different to me in the narration even being old aside. He calls himself a bard in the first narration so I assumed it's him.

Actually, he says "this bard's tale" which doesn't necessarily indicate he's a bard telling it. Just that it's a story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

turtlecrunch posted:

^ He also refers to the subject of the story as "my dear friend Geralt".

Still doesn't mean he's Dandelion. :colbert:

(i'm losing this argument)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm 6 hours in. I have had not one crash, hitch, or anything resembling a bug. I'm running an i5 3470 with 16 gigawatts of RAM and a GTX970, most settings on Ultra w/o hairworks, and shadows on high. I see lots of posts about crashing, and figured at leats one person should post positive performance news.

Also, Comte:

Is the loading screen/story-so-far narration Vesimir, or Dandelion?

ALSO: Protip: if you look at your character screen and press right-trigger, it'll show you useful stats on your character you might not find anywhere else, such as hours played.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope this game makes a point of who the emperor really is.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Act 1 Geralt: Oh, are you a Lycanthrope? I can totally help you with that.
Act 2 Geralt: I have to kill this Lycanthrope, he's cursed.

:confused:

Insensitive Geralt is best Geralt. I knew where that act 1 convo was going before it got there, and when Geralt started rambling about how he can cure lycanthropy, I almost lost it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jesus Christ Geralt, calm the gently caress down!

After getting into a barfight and leaving White Orchard, not as soon as I left the palace did I get into a another scrape looking for the imperial spy. I tried to play it cool and offer everyone a round. Then said we could go our separate ways. One of the options, when asked where your going is "not your concern" or something similar. Geralt turns around slowly, emphasizing every word: "Is it just me, or is that none of your loving business" and murdered them. WTF Geralt!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Geralt to goat: "Run you stupid piece of poo poo!!!" :)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I just finished the Baron quest line? How the gently caress is writing in a game this good? We're not even talking Planescape anymore, this is a whole new level. And how the hell am I supposed to enjoy any other game now?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those who have finished the game, does Alvin ever get mentioned again, or brought up at all?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Man, they really nailed Geralt in this game. I can't believe it's the same voice from the first one. His comedic timing and sardonic tone are fantastic.

"Did you see Dandelion after the...fungus incident?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

grimcreaper posted:

No, because you kill him in The Witcher 1. Hes a Source, just like Ciri. He can teleport between space/time etc. He teleports into the past and then becomes the Grand Master of the Order of the Flaming Rose. Then you murder him and his retarded Rose thats on fire for some reason. Mostly cause hes a dick when he grows up.

I know all that. I was wondering if he's mentioned as in, wtf the Wild Hunt were looking for him, and how he might, possibly, tie into Ciri, if at all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This is probably one of my top 10 favorite games of all time right now. Anyone else?

Top 1 for me. I already loved the Witcher series since the release of the first game, even pre-enhanced patch. But this game takes every notion of what a game should be, and what it should sacrifice in terms of quality and turns it on it's head. It does everything it wants to do better than any game before it, to a large margin.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Scandalous posted:

it is preferable to something like "hark, 'pon the grass there lyeth a trail of scarlet, the left trigger must i hold"

This is the poo poo. New thread title right here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does this game look on PS4? I have it on PC now and run it on Ultra at 60 fps sans hairworks, but I like the idea of sitting on my couch and playing on my big screen and admiring sunsets. Will my eyes bleed? How are goon eyes doing on PS4?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Snak posted:

Wow, and I thought everyone was exaggerating the "peasent misery simulator" stuff. I just finished the Black Pearl quest. I spent the whole quest just rolling my eyes at this idiot and his failed marriage. Then I get to the end and he says how his wife didn't say anything about it and I thought "Ohh... She's dead, and he went and got it to put on her grave because he felt bad about never doing it." NOPE it's WAY WORSE. And then I'm like "but... maybe it's a magical malady and Geralt can try to help, right?" Geralt: "That sucks" quest completed. Oh.

And here I thought it was mostly generic war-torn countryside stuff.

I just finished this quest tonight, and realized the same thing. I actually felt terrible because back in Skellige Geralt is giving the guy poo poo for not bringing payment. Then I barge in like a loving debt collector and he isn't even really asking for pity. He mans up, says thanks, and takes care of his poo poo and pays me. Then the story about his wife drops and i'm just ......oh gently caress me

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just broke the 100 hour mark, still haven't finished "gathering allies." Does this loving game ever end? I love it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

121 hours and just finished this game; what a ride. By FAR the best game i've ever played. TIme for a new play through!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I'm playing on a pretty old GTX 470, but I'm chugging along alright at like 30 FPS on med/low settings. What I can say is that post-patch 1.07 the "low" textures actually look much nicer, I dunno how it has affected my FPS but it makes the game look better regardless.

Also I am really considering blowing like $500 on a new graphics card but I can't justify it just for this one game when everything else still runs on it... I really like this game

If not this game....then what? It doesn't get better, stop waiting!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like Bethesda games. Hell, I love them! I am trying to get excited about Fallout 4 because those are great games...but....Witcher 3 might've hosed me out of enjoying any Bethesda game again. :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Poetic Justice posted:

Speaking of acronymns, it took me way too long to realize Uma = Ugliest Man Alive :downs:

gently caress! I never even caught that! Because they beat on the fact that Uma was the only noise that thing could make, I never looked at it as an acronym! :aaaaa:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone else have the sinking feeling that future games they were looking forward to will forever be eclipsed by W3? Because I do. The only games I'm looking forward to now are genre outliers like Persona 5 and maybe No Man's Sky. But Fallout 4? Forget it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Palpek posted:

What also shows that Letho didn't set Geralt up was that Letho tells him that when he saw Geralt behind Foltest shortly before assassination he was sure he's done for by this freak coincidence because Geralt should immediately recognize him. That's when he learned that Geralt has amnesia (or that Geralt's amnesia isn't just a gossip, I don't remember) which let him go through with the plan.

I must say that the last conversation with Letho in Witcher 2 was extremely satisfying. You could really ask the guy about everything and get answers to most of the questions. It could be so long (if you wanted to) that by the end of it you had a feeling that the game really wrapped up and fighting him isn't necessary to get closure. I thought that was very nicely executed from a game design point of view.

This whole scene reminded me of the ending to Kill Bill Vol 2. Which is one of my favorite endings in the way it disarms the antagonist and makes you sympathize with them. Letho and Geralt should be bros 4 lyfe.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a dilemma. Having finished W3 with Yennefer as my lover about a week ago, I'm going through the whole series again starting with W1. I'd like to stick with Triss for the whole trilogy....but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do that because Yennefer is way better for Geralt. Help me goons!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

There's no reason to do that. It doesn't really change anything of substance in TW3 since Yennefer is more important to the story anyway.

The reason I want to is because to see the different scenes/choices play out. I guess this'll be my dumb Geralt playthrough. It's like Wrex in ME1 all over again. I have a choice I'd never want to take.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of nerdy poo poo, has anyone read the first Witcher graphic novel? I did, and I liked it. Did anyone else like it? Because I liked it and we can be friends.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

reasons iorveth is better than roach
#1 I didn't have to fix 10 billion iorveth bugs

I think I make a pretty solid case

You use Iorveth as your horse?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Snuffman posted:

Just wait, you'll get through the whole trilogy sticking with Triss and DLC will come out and you'll have to do a Shauni run. :v:

I'd do that in a heartbeat!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Serf posted:

This is definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Still gonna guy Bethesda/Obsidian etc. games because Cyberpunk 2077 isn't coming out until like 2017 right?

I really hope it comes out that soon. :( I can't wait to see Cyber-Ciri!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ularg posted:

I just ran into the guy who has to duel a 100 knights and challenges me. I don't want to kill him. :smith:

I just Axii'd him, got on my horse and ran off.

If I have to maybe I'll just punch him up with my fists. Punching up those guys in the White Orchard inn didn't kill them.

He's Witcher 3's "Conrad Verner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

They're about on par really, and neither of them reach the level of promiscuity Geralt can get up to in the games, particularly the first one.

I think there should've been a scene in W3 where Yen pulls out her deck of sexual conquests she made while Geralt was stumbling around looking for Salamandra.